Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I figured out why my alarms just straight up were disappearing. The lovely band in my gen 1 Pixel has been setting my phone's signal to roaming despite being in full LTE, changing the time zone to like loving Iceland, and thus shutting the alarm off as it was now in the past. Turned off automatic date/time and voila. Excited to finally buy a Pixel 3 tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm fed up with Google Camera's inability to focus anywhere but dead-center in Lens Blur mode. Are there any third party camera apps that have a similar feature?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm fed up with Google Camera's inability to focus anywhere but dead-center in Lens Blur mode. Are there any third party camera apps that have a similar feature?

Do you mean Portrait mode? It's supposed to detect faces in the centre, that's intended functionality.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Spotify is repeatedly re-downloading all my items marked for download. Anyone seeking this before? It started all of a sudden today.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Spotify is repeatedly re-downloading all my items marked for download. Anyone seeking this before? It started all of a sudden today.

Yeah, I had that happen once but don't remember exactly what caused it. Not enough space perhaps and then something goes wrong during it re-verifying the files. Think I had to do something dumb like remove a bunch of downloaded files, clean out space, then redownload.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you mean Portrait mode? It's supposed to detect faces in the centre, that's intended functionality.

On the XL, it's called Lens Blur, and it used to focus wherever I wanted. I want off-center subjects without having to crop. Even if the person I'm taking a photo of IS in the center of the frame, their face isn't always dead-center.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

Yeah, I had that happen once but don't remember exactly what caused it. Not enough space perhaps and then something goes wrong during it re-verifying the files. Think I had to do something dumb like remove a bunch of downloaded files, clean out space, then redownload.

I have 40GB free space so it's not that. If it happens again I'll just manually just clear app data and start from scratch. Thanks.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On the XL, it's called Lens Blur, and it used to focus wherever I wanted. I want off-center subjects without having to crop. Even if the person I'm taking a photo of IS in the center of the frame, their face isn't always dead-center.

Ah, I don't remember how that mode worked on that phone, sorry. There's no Lens Blur on the Pixel 2.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Spotify used to do this to me like once a week. It's been fine for me the past few months, but I'm very annoyed by the daily pop-up telling me I've maxed out my song download limit. Apparently they upped the limit to 10,000 songs last month and I actually haven't seen that in a few weeks now that I think about it.

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 9, 2018

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.pushbullet.com/pro

Looks like pushbullet silently moved notification interactions from free to paid. I tried to delete an email from the popup, like I've done a million times, only to get redirected to the page to upgrade to Pro. I canceled my Pro account after Google released the web interface for Messages and I'm assuming a lot of other people did as well, so they're trying to twist arms in hopes of recovering subscriptions.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

so if you can't interact with notifications for free what can you do? just the hundred or whatever sms replies?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XIII posted:

https://www.pushbullet.com/pro

Looks like pushbullet silently moved notification interactions from free to paid. I tried to delete an email from the popup, like I've done a million times, only to get redirected to the page to upgrade to Pro. I canceled my Pro account after Google released the web interface for Messages and I'm assuming a lot of other people did as well, so they're trying to twist arms in hopes of recovering subscriptions.

I'm pretty sure the message interactions being on the paid tier has been the case for quite a while, well before the Messages web interface.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm pretty sure the message interactions being on the paid tier has been the case for quite a while, well before the Messages web interface.

Unlimited message interactions has been on the paid tier since they went to subscriptions, but being able to delete emails and whatnot from the popup was still available to free account. At least til today. I just meant that I bet they lost paying customers (such as myself) when Google released the web interface. It was worth $5/mo for me to be able to send an unlimited amount of texts from my pc, but I'm not going to keep paying that when there's a free (and better) alternative

Blue Train posted:

so if you can't interact with notifications for free what can you do? just the hundred or whatever sms replies?

You can still push files/links between devices easily. I use it to send links to my computer to read later.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XIII posted:

t being able to delete emails and whatnot from the popup was still available to free account. At least til today.

I've been on pushbullet free, downgraded from pro, for the last 4? 5? months, and I haven't been able to take actions on messages (ie. gmail archive, delete) that entire time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been on pushbullet free, downgraded from pro, for the last 4? 5? months, and I haven't been able to take actions on messages (ie. gmail archive, delete) that entire time.

I've always been on the free tier and haven't been able to interact with notifications.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Really? I SWEAR I've been using it to delete emails as they rolled into a second account that I don't have linked to my work pc. I thought losing the universal copy/paste (which I liked) and the SMS limit were the only only reasons to really stick with Pro

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Why not just use Join?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a Podcast App that supports password protected feeds as well as syncing between devices?

I've spent some more time looking and it seems that Player.fm fits the bill: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fm.player&rdid=fm.player

Is anyone familiar with it? The monthly fee isn't high but I was hoping that it would at least work very well if I'm going to sign up for subscription for a podcast app.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I use it, like it, never felt the need to pay for premium but as far as password protected feeds, double-check that -- I know they didn't support Patreon style private feeds last I checked (I just keep those in Podcast Addict) and I'm not sure if you're referring to those or a different kind with like a key in the URL or something.

Would gladly throw them a few bucks if they just did a one-time like everyone else but monthly seems insane and judging by subscriber counts on a few of the most popular podcasts I listen to they don't have a huge user base to soak.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The OP says to use Google Lens* for QR code scanning. Is this still the case, or is there a better option?

*Link in the OP is dead. The above link is the current link to Google Lens

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

The OP says to use Google Lens* for QR code scanning. Is this still the case, or is there a better option?

*Link in the OP is dead. The above link is the current link to Google Lens

At least on Google devices, the camera has Google Lens built in, or you can take a photo of the QR code and use Lens from the Photos app or by holding down the home button and selecting "what's on my screen?".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

At least on Google devices, the camera has Google Lens built in, or you can take a photo of the QR code and use Lens from the Photos app or by holding down the home button and selecting "what's on my screen?".

I didn't know it could do that.

It's also adorable that it recognized the photo I took of (the OG) Legend of Zelda on my Switch, but said it was Breath of the Wild.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm having a weird issue with my Facebook app. It was working fine earlier today, but a few hours ago it just stopped. Every time I try and open the app, it loads for a second and then crashes and prompts me to send a bug report. I've rebooted my phone, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and cleared my cache all multiple times. Rebooting and clearing the cache haven't had any impact, but if I reinstall the app it works just fine the first time I open it. But once I close the app then go to reopen it later, it starts crashing again.

I've got a pixel XL, and am hoping this is just an easy fix I'm too dumb to think of.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

I'm having a weird issue with my Facebook app. It was working fine earlier today, but a few hours ago it just stopped. Every time I try and open the app, it loads for a second and then crashes and prompts me to send a bug report. I've rebooted my phone, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and cleared my cache all multiple times. Rebooting and clearing the cache haven't had any impact, but if I reinstall the app it works just fine the first time I open it. But once I close the app then go to reopen it later, it starts crashing again.

I've got a pixel XL, and am hoping this is just an easy fix I'm too dumb to think of.

I see you cleared the cache but you didn't mention clearing the data for the app. Are you using anything out of the ordinary like adblockers or battery management apps that could be causing it?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Would reinstalling not do that anyway?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I had that issue this morning. Cleared cache, it worked for a bit, then started crashing again. Ended up cleaning data, then reinstalling and it seems okay now. I'm on a Pixel XL and running NetGuard for adblocking.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Would reinstalling not do that anyway?

It should but maybe the problem is the data folder? I mean it shouldn't crash at all, so if things were working as they should we wouldn't be here. It certainly can't hurt to try.

Really your only options in this case are restart, delete cache, delete data, uninstall/reinstall, and factory reset and he's tried three of the five.

Echophonic posted:

I had that issue this morning. Cleared cache, it worked for a bit, then started crashing again. Ended up reinstalling and it seems okay now. I'm on a Pixel XL and running NetGuard for adblocking.

And there's a VPN adblocker which is what I'd be most wary of it's present in the case at hand.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 12, 2018

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I see you cleared the cache but you didn't mention clearing the data for the app. Are you using anything out of the ordinary like adblockers or battery management apps that could be causing it?

Well I just tried clearing the data and that lets the app load, but if I close the app and try and reopen it, it starts crashing again. I'm not using any add blockers or battery apps at all. This is honestly weird as hell.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Well I just tried clearing the data and that lets the app load, but if I close the app and try and reopen it, it starts crashing again. I'm not using any add blockers or battery apps at all. This is honestly weird as hell.

A search on Twitter for "facebook app crashing" would indicate you aren't alone. It's Facebook's fault.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

A search on Twitter for "facebook app crashing" would indicate you aren't alone. It's Facebook's fault.

Well that makes me feel better. I tried googling the issue but was only seeing stuff from months ago. I don't use Twitter, so I didn't even think to check there. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll just wait it out.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

my credit union doesn't even have case-sensitive passwords

If I recall correctly, Blizzard eliminated case sensitivity and saw no notable increase in accounts being stolen but did have many fewer support tickets for lost passwords.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah, I don't have a Google phone. It's a Samsung, and it's on Marshmallow. Google Camera doesn't play nice with my phone, and crashes all the time.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, I don't have a Google phone. It's a Samsung, and it's on Marshmallow. Google Camera doesn't play nice with my phone, and crashes all the time.

I haven't used a Samsung device since the S3, but you should still be able to open the camera app, point it at the QR code, then long press the home button to bring up whatever the Google long press menu thing is called and hit the "what's on my screen" button.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Well that makes me feel better. I tried googling the issue but was only seeing stuff from months ago. I don't use Twitter, so I didn't even think to check there. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll just wait it out.

Just as a more general note, any time you need to find out if something is happening *right now* or in the last few hours, searching Twitter is almost always the best way to do it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm looking to move my family away from SMS because it's just awful. I'm considering Allo, Telegram, or Signal (staying away from Facebook). What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of these three? My understanding is that Signal is probably the best from a security standpoint, but that's not a huge concern. Both Android and iOS devices need to be supported.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

allo is dead, telegram has more features than signal and as you said signal is more secure

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Whatsapp

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

whatsapp is facebook. just use telegram op

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The vast majority of people do not use Telegram, WhatsApp will have the easiest adoption and fits what you're looking for. It's absurd and ridiculous to not use it because "facebook".

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The nice thing about WhatsApp is all it needs is a mobile number. No having to talk grandma through a user name and password setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

hooah posted:

I'm looking to move my family away from SMS because it's just awful. I'm considering Allo, Telegram, or Signal (staying away from Facebook). What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of these three? My understanding is that Signal is probably the best from a security standpoint, but that's not a huge concern. Both Android and iOS devices need to be supported.

Telegram definitely.