Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In the new series, the Doctor and friends discover the last remaining humans in America and try to solve their most pressing crisis: whether it's called "pop", "soda", or one of the other many regional terms :ohdear:

- You want a coke?
- Sure
- What kind?
- Dr Pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So has anyone figured out when the Rosa Parks episode is gonna be?

Will she be a companion?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 11, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

AndyElusive posted:

So has anyone figured out when the Rosa Parks episode is gonna be?

Will she be a companion?

Check the spoiler thread. Also tag your spoilers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fil5000 posted:

I've only been a couple of times but I've never found the accent as harsh as it's made out to be on TV. I mean yeah, there's some people that are at the extreme end but the majority of people were fine. Barely any Jim McDonalds to speak of. So it is.

Yeah I've been to Belfast and everybody I met was easy to understand (even the permanently drunk poet who eagerly told me about charming a young Russian girl with rhymes about Boris Yeltsin). Then I watched Penny Dreadful and Billie's all,"Ooooh to be sure n all but diddly dee potato don't ye know!" and I got very, very confused.

Bradley Walsh is a national treasure and I'm so glad he continues to find success wherever he goes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

This just gave me the mental image of there being a small Dunkin Donuts stand set into a wall of the TARDIS console room. Behind the counter is a teenage girl called Jessica. She doesn't go on adventures, she's just working this small Dunkin concession. The TARDIS crew barely acknowledge her beyond getting cups of coffee or the occasional donut.

And then there's the one late season episode where out of nowhere she has to save the day because everyone is incapacitated or captured and she has a Crowning Moment of Awesome.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Northern Irish accents are all over the scale in terms of comprehensibility. Due to the mixture of traditional Irish accents and Ulster-Scots it can vary enormously even within one town/city. The closer you get to the big cities here, the accents tend to become harsher and the speech faster, while out in the sticks it tends to be slower and more melodic and much more what other people expect the accent to be.

I've no idea why I'm writing this in a Doctor Who thread.

I've seen posts elsewhere saying how much they love 13's accent even though they can't understand a word she's saying, and that's kinda weird to me. I've never lived in Yorkshire and have only known a few people from the region, but I had no trouble at all understanding every line of dialogue, especially since the BBC seem to have toned down the bombast on the music enough to be able to hear what's being said.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I'm catching up on the thread - there was some talk a few pages ago about Billie Piper's development as an actor. I was lucky enough to see her in Yerma at the Young Vic, and I'm not being hyperbolic at all when I say it was very possibly the most affecting, visceral and real performance I have seen in pretty much anything. On the off chance there's ever a revival with her in the role again, you should move heaven and earth to get yourself a ticket.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Matinee posted:

I'm catching up on the thread - there was some talk a few pages ago about Billie Piper's development as an actor. I was lucky enough to see her in Yerma at the Young Vic, and I'm not being hyperbolic at all when I say it was very possibly the most affecting, visceral and real performance I have seen in pretty much anything. On the off chance there's ever a revival with her in the role again, you should move heaven and earth to get yourself a ticket.

They already did a revival in 2017, but maybe!

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

They already did a revival in 2017, but maybe!

I actually tried to get tickets then to see it again. Quite deservedly sold out. A really incredible performance, and it colours re-watches of Piper's DW run, knowing what she's capable of. RTD had a good eye for talent.

Hey, The_Doctor, at the risk of getting quite tangential, you seem like the person to ask if there's a place on SA to talk about (West End) theatre. I saw The Inheritance recently and crave discussion of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Matinee posted:

Hey, The_Doctor, at the risk of getting quite tangential, you seem like the person to ask if there's a place on SA to talk about (West End) theatre. I saw The Inheritance recently and crave discussion of it.

Well, I know a great many things, but not that unfortunately. The only dedicated London thread I know off the top of my head is the restaurants one. It also doesn’t help at the moment that all the forums have changed names. There is /r/TheWestEnd on Reddit?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi yes I just watched the new episode, shout out to Graham and his West Ham scarf, I will never believe it's anything else, go hammers

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Managed to listen to the new Eighth Doctor boxset, Ravenous 2: Electric Boogaloo today.

:siren: Sticking thoughts and feeling behind the SSLP for spoiler stuff. :siren:

Also trying to do my bit and get this Romanian lass at work into Doctor Who. She's been wondering what all the fuss has been about :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 12, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In the new series, the Doctor and friends discover the last remaining humans in America and try to solve their most pressing crisis: whether it's called "pop", "soda", or one of the other many regional terms :ohdear:

I like the term "Angry Water"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Appalachia?

Not Appalachia, though; they're not that insular or remote, and they don't come down from the hills. If you made a British Deliverance, it wouldn't be in Yorkshire. The closest thing I can think of is The Wicker Man, which is set on a remote Scottish island.

vvv The thing about Deliverance of course is that it trades on this feeling of being absolutely in the middle of nowhere, it's barely civilised, no help for days or weeks around, that's all but impossible to replicate with something set here because we're such a tiny little island compared to the USA vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 12, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Not Appalachia, though; they're not that insular, and they don't come down from the hills. If you made a British Deliverance, it wouldn't be in Yorkshire. The closest thing I can think of is The Wicker Man, which is set on a remote Scottish island.

Maybe somewhere more remote in Wales or Cornwall/Devon? I’m thinking Bodmin or Exmoor.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1050794238957490179

Must be nice having six pockets

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

he does know he wasn't designing a jojo character right

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They should just lock every newly hired Doctor in the wardrobe room and let them choose their own design

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that was a super interesting read but it's also sort of depressing that it took that much work to design such a terrible costume

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Soothing Vapors posted:

that was a super interesting read but it's also sort of depressing that it took that much work to design such a terrible costume

It’s a great costume aside from the trousers/pants

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a great costume aside from the trousers/pants

fair point, the rest of it isn't bad. t really is the pants where it falls apart

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It is a good costume because it makes her look like an idiot

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Idunno. I find there's something charming and hobbit-like about the pants + suspenders and poo poo-stompers.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm perfectly okay with a return to the "this is how you clothes, right?" Matt Smith approach. (Yes, I mean Matt Smith himself, not just his Doctor.) Really, as long the long coat is still there - the only thing that might get me angry enough to quit the show would be a Coatless Doctor.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don’t really have strong feelings about the costume one way or another, but it does fit in with the eccentric lecturer theme the Doctor usually has pretty well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It's a lot better than the 'Victorian spinster aunt' look a lot of artists give their OC female Doctors.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Love that 12's affection for hoodies transitioned to 13's hooded coat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I thought she looked pretty cool in 12's suit tbh

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The_Doctor posted:

It's a lot better than the 'Victorian spinster aunt' look a lot of artists give their OC female Doctors.

Yeah, anything as long as it's not a loving puffy dress with a bustle.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I just rewatched Husbands of River Song last night, River's line "two hearts, stupid clothes, you can't miss him" really stood out

corn in the bible posted:

I thought she looked pretty cool in 12's suit tbh
Yeah she honestly looked badass in the raggedy Capaldi getup

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
Where on earth do you find women's clothes with so many pockets? :confused:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's in the episode - she put her new outfit together from stuff she found in a charity shop.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://giant.gfycat.com/SparklingDeliriousDevilfish.webm

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JustinMorgan posted:

Where on earth do you find women's clothes with so many pockets? :confused:

Sonic sewing machine.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just rewatched Husbands of River Song last night, River's line "two hearts, stupid clothes, you can't miss him" really stood out

Yeah she honestly looked badass in the raggedy Capaldi getup

I want a past character to return, see the TARDIS crew, and immediately know which one is the Doctor because she's dressed the silliest. :3:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spatula City posted:

I want a past character to return, see the TARDIS crew, and immediately know which one is the Doctor because she's dressed the silliest. :3:

You know very well they'll do a dumb gag where some returning character thinks Bradley Walsh is the doctor ha ha

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spatula City posted:

Companions who could probably do this: Susan (she's his grandaughter), Zoe (her whole character is knowing stuff like this), Liz (sheer exasperation), Jo (I don't know why), Sarah Jane (she's had practice), Nyssa (it's exactly the kind of thing she would do), Peri (sheer exasperation again), Ace (rage-powered observational skills), Rory (I expect he could, it's been that kind of a day), Clara, but she wouldn't let the Doctor know.

All the hero worship companions are out, which kind of *Master voice* decimates Ten's companions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

You know very well they'll do a dumb gag where some returning character thinks Bradley Walsh is the doctor ha ha

Only if he was berating Ryan over something silly at the time.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thirteen's coat is fantastic. I love the way the big hood and coat-length lapels fold over her shoulders to take the shape of some pope/Time Lord regalia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah her costume rules and the trousers have to be a little shorter so we can get the benefit of those loving awesome boots.