Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

KillHour posted:

But if you're directly connected to the NAS, how is that an improvement over DAS with the same drives?
The plan was once to move the NAS to a different room (get rid of the noise of spinning disks). I never followed up, especially seeing the prices of MPO fiber glass cables in appropriate length. (--edit: The used transceivers were rather cheap on Ebay.)

The only other thing was running FreeBSD with ZFS for data storage. The initial plan was to get a high core CPU and run it in a VM, because that worked in a proof of concept, but sufficient cores were expensive as gently caress back then. The NAS was actually cheaper.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

it's a gently caress schiit stack

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

The plan was once to move the NAS to a different room (get rid of the noise of spinning disks). I never followed up, especially seeing the prices of MPO fiber glass cables in appropriate length. (--edit: The used transceivers were rather cheap on Ebay.)

The only other thing was running FreeBSD with ZFS for data storage. The initial plan was to get a high core CPU and run it in a VM, because that worked in a proof of concept, but sufficient cores were expensive as gently caress back then. The NAS was actually cheaper.

Those are all still NAS. DAS just means a mini SAS raid card and a JBOD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Directly connected was supposed to mean that there's no switch or anything in between the two. The NAS is running a special purpose filesystem and the high speed dedicated link in combination with lots of caching is supposed to give DAS like performance with the data integrity features of ZFS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Directly connected was supposed to mean that there's no switch or anything in between the two. The NAS is running a special purpose filesystem and the high speed dedicated link in combination with lots of caching is supposed to give DAS like performance with the data integrity features of ZFS.

No, I know. My point is that an actual DAS would have been way... easier. And probably less expensive.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

There's a huge gap between a $99 Micca G2 and "check out my sweet Schiit stack featuring tubes and the world's noisiest DAC."

Very true. People just like what they like, but some people are willing to spend a stupid amount of money on it.

I'm guilty as well. I went full retard and bought a TEAC stack. AX-501 and UD-501.
I bought it because it was small and looked good though, not because ~*GOLDEN EARS*~

I had it at the office for a while.

Then I bought some KEF LS50's and brought it home to power those.

So I bought some poo poo from goodwill for the office. It sounds alright I guess.

Then again I also think this sounds good so what do I know?

This sounds good too.

Way better than the bullshit I put in the family room. Although this setup beats trying to hear TV speakers from 20' away.

Whatever. It all makes noises I like to hear and that's really the point right?
I do have preferences though. I really like this a lot.

I snagged the Pioneer amp on top of the Acurus in that pic because it was cheap and has a phono input. I'm going to give it to my mom along with my dad's old turntable and her Carly Simon records.
It'll be used to drive these:

You would think that after buying all this mediocre gear I'd be satisfied, but no. I still want some nice powered monitors to replace these:

So I had to sell this:

And lucky for me, vintage collectors are just as easily separated from their dollars as audiofools.
Anywho, I was going to say something when I started this post but obviously got sidetracked and now I can't remember what it was.
Something to the effect of, a good DAC is a good thing. But an expensive DAC is just expensive.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do you have a girlfriend?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LRADIKAL posted:

those tiny pointless weights would suggest yes. What are the big floorstanders in that photo anyway fella?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

those tiny pointless weights would suggest yes. What are the big floorstanders in that photo anyway fella?

Vandersteen 2ci

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm married, believe it or not. I have no idea how I manage to get away with having so many stereos.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Vandersteen 2ci

I'm married, believe it or not. I have no idea how I manage to get away with having so many stereos.

my wife is also strangely ok with piles of a/v gear. i keep on asking her to be a balancing force by discouraging my impulse but she refuses. :v:

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

These ones look neat, what are they?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The low angle of that photo confused my sense of scale and they looked huge until I noticed the sockets on the wall.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a really big socket, okay?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

New New Fresh posted:

These ones look neat, what are they?

Beovox S80.2 and MC120.2
They're firmly in the decent camp. Not exactly "Audiophile". At least not in the way that the BeoLab 90's are:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

KillHour posted:

lol

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

KillHour posted:

Sounds like what I told this girl I dated once ROLOLOL

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
https://audiobacon.net/2017/05/31/supra-cat8-ethernet-cable-review-an-amazing-spotify-and-tidal-experience/amp/

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Wait, are those cables even soldered? Looks like standard crimped ends to me.

That's what stood out, even more than the impressive lack of understanding of digital.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

How is there a market for these? The Venn diagram overlap of "people willing to listen to lossy-compressed streaming media" and "people who think their Ethernet cable can affect the sound of digital audio in ways they describe using terms like 'tonal density'" has to be a tiny, tiny sliver.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Unreal_One posted:

That's what stood out, even more than the impressive lack of understanding of digital.

That's what I was wondering. Are there even solder-on connections for cat cable? How would you even accomplish that?

Also for all the crowing about "craftsmanship" that sure looked like a standard hacked together 8P8C connector to me

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

poo poo like that physically angers me.

:negative:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Don't click through to the $500 ethernet cable review.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Unreal_One posted:

Ohh yea i noticed that part too, who the gently caress solders ethernet cables

ItBreathes posted:

Don't click through to the $500 ethernet cable review.

If you’re streaming most of your library from online services such as Tidal, Spotify, etc, use the highest quality cable you can from the modem to the router. If you use a cheap cable, your music will sound flatter than it should and lose extension both ways. It adds a few layers of greyness the sound. It becomes fuzzy and it loses energy. I was quite appalled when I heard it.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 5, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That brings to mind the $500 Dennon ethernet cable from a decade ago.

The reviews are hilarious

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Discontinued-Manufacturer-Blue/dp/B000I1X6PM

quote:

“I installed one of these cables between my gigabit ethernet switch and my Canon Pixma 6700 color printer. I know it’s not a sanctioned use, but I was looking for the ultimate in speed and color fidelity. I’m freaky that way.

The first time I downloaded a picture to the printer over this cable, the bits moved so fast the printer collapsed into a naked singularity, right there in my office.”

quote:

You're all wrong. The most important part of this product is the fact that it has:

...direction marks to indicate correct direction for connecting cable.

I connected the cable incorrectly and at first, I could not understand the sound I was hearing. I realized that it was the music CD I was going to play, but was hearing it not only before I wanted to play it, but backwards. It was like listening to some of my old Beatle records. I then connected the wires according to the direction marks, and the music was instantly recognizable. It was a Pat Boone song from the '50s. Since I don't own any music by Pat Boone, this scared me because it meant I was going to buy some in the future. I sent the cables back as defective.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

If you’re streaming most of your library from online services such as Tidal, Spotify, etc, use the highest quality cable you can from the modem to the router. If you use a cheap cable, your music will sound flatter than it should and lose extension both ways. It adds a few layers of greyness the sound. It becomes fuzzy and it loses energy. I was quite appalled when I heard it.

You clearly haven’t seen the claims of audible differences between ISPs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm guessing it's because you didn't think of it first. That's what annoys me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Someone is feeding the Facebook ad provider that I'm browsing this thread. This poo poo got recommended to me:

https://jcat.eu/featured/net-card-femto/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone is feeding the Facebook ad provider that I'm browsing this thread. This poo poo got recommended to me:

My favorite bit is where they recommend that you connect an external 5V power supply of 2 or 400w capacity to run this thing that works fine off PCI bus power. And they're linear, which means a huge transformer and a LOT of power wasted as heat.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Combat Pretzel posted:

"intel i350..."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-OEM-I350-T4-PCI-Express-Four-RJ45-Gigabit-Ports-Server-Adapter-NIC/192554452742
$50 4-port brand new on ebay.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The base misunderstandings of how networks and digital audio work are pretty amazing, the highest of high resolution music like multichannel DSD is ~6 megabit/second which could be easily achieved on the cheapest stuff you could buy today. It's amazing how effective just taking the preconceptions of analog audio and dropping it into digital marketing works, but I guess the audience is pre-selected. Stuff like two-way error correction is amazing in how well it works and if you've ever had an actual digital audio glitch it's so obvious that any arguments about "imaging" or "dynamics" go right out the window as you lunge for the remote to skip the track.

This is kind of fun, if only to watch a guy convince himself he can hear an amp difference at S/N ratios that are well outside human perceptible range. It's funny how many audio reviews contain the phrase "once I really sat down and listened over time the difference became clear" or something like it. I guess an audio reviewer who admitted human perceptual accuracy was crap and easily influenced by outside impressions wouldn't get a lot of work. That said Benchmark has always seemed unique to me in that they make incredibly expensive stuff that actually measures better and they seem upfront about saying they don't really believe it makes a difference for music, they're just trying to make the most accurate thing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dunno about the rest of the components but the crystal they are using is $20 each in 500+ orders from mouser. So there atleast is something to justify some additional cost. (Not going to claim it helps anything though)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Their dumbass high fidelity 1m network cable costs more than two of these silly network cards.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've got one of those, good stuff.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

qirex posted:

This is kind of fun, if only to watch a guy convince himself he can hear an amp difference at S/N ratios that are well outside human perceptible range. It's funny how many audio reviews contain the phrase "once I really sat down and listened over time the difference became clear" or something like it. I guess an audio reviewer who admitted human perceptual accuracy was crap and easily influenced by outside impressions wouldn't get a lot of work. That said Benchmark has always seemed unique to me in that they make incredibly expensive stuff that actually measures better and they seem upfront about saying they don't really believe it makes a difference for music, they're just trying to make the most accurate thing.

I once talked to a person who claimed he had a specially made 192 bit DAC for his music, any less and his sensitive ears would pick up distortion.

It must be amazing, being able to hear the sound of a pulsar hundreds of light years away.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nielsm posted:

I once talked to a person who claimed he had a specially made 192 bit DAC for his music, any less and his sensitive ears would pick up distortion.

It must be amazing, being able to hear the sound of a pulsar hundreds of light years away.

That's 1152dB of possible dynamic range.

Representing the background thermal noise of the universe (around 3 Kelvin)*, in relation to the loudest possible sound in Earth's atmosphere (around 194dB), would require much less dynamic range than that.

*Remnant energy from the Big Bang

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 12, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Which is why "measurements" can't capture what an audiophile's ears can hear. Duh.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I've got one of those, good stuff.

Hows the timbre and jutter?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Hows the timbre and jutter?

First one, then the other, but on a massive soundstage of infinite depth, perfected tonality, scalding warmth, perceptive acoustics, gritty harmonics and exemplary fecundity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

crosspost from yospos