Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Azhais posted:

They should just lock every newly hired Doctor in the wardrobe room and let them choose their own design

Yeah but then you're just gonna get guys like Capaldi trying to dress up like the Doctors they grew up with. Or wearing the exact same pieces of costume entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bicyclops posted:

Companions who could probably do this: Susan (she's his grandaughter), Zoe (her whole character is knowing stuff like this), Liz (sheer exasperation), Jo (I don't know why), Sarah Jane (she's had practice), Nyssa (it's exactly the kind of thing she would do), Peri (sheer exasperation again), Ace (rage-powered observational skills), Rory (I expect he could, it's been that kind of a day), Clara, but she wouldn't let the Doctor know.

All the hero worship companions are out, which kind of *Master voice* decimates Ten's companions.
Except for Mickey and Donna.

Now I want someone to do a multi-doctor story with one of the first 3 Doctors meeting 4, and mistaking Romana for their future self.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The best part of the costume scene was:

:confused:: That’s what you’re going with?
:haw:: Yep!

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

She just has teething problems on account of the fact that it's been so long since she's had to buy womens' clothing.

Maybe once she has access to the TARDIS wardrobe again she can branch out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Listening to Chimes of Midnight and it seems good so far

e: what a stupid ending lol

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 13, 2018

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Companions who could probably do this: Susan (she's his grandaughter), Zoe (her whole character is knowing stuff like this), Liz (sheer exasperation), Jo (I don't know why), Sarah Jane (she's had practice), Nyssa (it's exactly the kind of thing she would do), Peri (sheer exasperation again), Ace (rage-powered observational skills), Rory (I expect he could, it's been that kind of a day), Clara, but she wouldn't let the Doctor know.

All the hero worship companions are out, which kind of *Master voice* decimates Ten's companions.

The perfect character to do that would have been the Brigadier. :sigh:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The fact that her pockets are completely empty in the same episode that she's lost the TARDIS just reinforces my belief that the doctor's pockets are linked up to a catch-all "pockets room" on the ship.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Listening to Chimes of Midnight and it seems good so far

e: what a stupid ending lol

There's an interview with the writer where he comments that he's a bit confused about how iconic it's become because he rushed the last episode and thinks it's not great. Personally I like it, but probably mostly because it reminds me coincidentally of another piece of media I love.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The entire final episode is just people doing exposition at eachother until the exposition solves the problem. What a waste of an interesting concept!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I’m a simple man. As long as the Doctor’s costume falls within the spectrum between the 9th and 6th Doctor I’m happy with it.

(Seriously, was Eccleston’s “costume” the production trying to keep the revival more grounded for new viewers, or was he just not wanting to play nice with that aspect of the show?)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The way RTD told it at the time, he was thinking about putting Nine in jeans and a leather jacket, then when Eccleston came on board, before RTD could say anything he said "I want to play him in jeans and a leather jacket".

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I thought the leather jacket worked perfectly for Eccleston, honestly. I really wish we had gotten more seasons from him. He was the perfect foil to RTD's tendency to get wacky, a balance that was quickly lost with Tennant.

edit: imagine the Adipose episode, but Eccleston

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

After The War posted:

The perfect character to do that would have been the Brigadier. :sigh:

He did! When he met Seven he knew it was him straight away and it was wonderful!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is a different gag entirely, but my favorite bit from Day of the Doctor is when War assumes 10 and 11 are companions and then proceeds to have an existential crisis when he finds out who they really are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dirksteadfast posted:

I’m a simple man. As long as the Doctor’s costume falls within the spectrum between the 9th and 6th Doctor I’m happy with it.

(Seriously, was Eccleston’s “costume” the production trying to keep the revival more grounded for new viewers, or was he just not wanting to play nice with that aspect of the show?)

Ironically, Colin Baker's first preference for a costume when he got the role was for something very similar to what Eccleston ended up having. I mean, it would have meant we wouldn't have gotten.... THE COAT but I always wondered what would have happened if JNT had been able to move on after Davison (if the BBC didn't just outright cancel it the moment he was gone).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Colin looks ready to audition for Bon Jovi in that picture.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Here he is auditioning to be the new drummer for Spinal Tap

Edit: And of course, here is... The Who!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92RbydVwuc

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

But what's the name of the band?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's what I want to know!

Perhaps if I was to use.... the mind probe!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And for the love of god, will someone tell us the name of the person in 1st base already?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jerusalem posted:

don't doxx me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wolfechu posted:

The fact that her pockets are completely empty in the same episode that she's lost the TARDIS just reinforces my belief that the doctor's pockets are linked up to a catch-all "pockets room" on the ship.

:hmmyes:

dirksteadfast posted:

I can buy 9 purposely choosing a low-key outfit because, like War before him, he’s just incredibly burnt out and a wacky costume would feel inappropriate. He is in a bit of a mourning phase after all.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rhyno posted:

He did! When he met Seven he knew it was him straight away and it was wonderful!

I'm pretty sure Brig also did so with Six in an audio.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BSam posted:

I'm pretty sure Brig also did so with Six in an audio.

Yeah but this was in the drat show! It's such a sweet scene too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WddEsKfMXkI

"I just can't let you out of my sight can I?"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Jerusalem posted:

That's what I want to know!

Perhaps if I was to use.... the mind probe!

No. Not the mind probe. :effort:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's for their Short Trips ranger, but BF is doing their first 12th Doctor story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

It's for their Short Trips ranger, but BF is doing their first 12th Doctor story.

Capaldi is planning for his first BF lunch already.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Capaldi BF stories are going to make me so happy!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They haven't said who's reading it, so I doubt it's Calpadi, especially since the actors usually don't perform the Short Trips

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The news article also teases 9th and 11th Doctor stories in upcoming Short Trips. Glad they're finally branching out solidly into the revival era with Short Trips.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

They haven't said who's reading it, so I doubt it's Calpadi, especially since the actors usually don't perform the Short Trips

Look, I can dream. It’s probably going to be Michelle Gomez.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Patrovsky posted:

She just has teething problems

:v:

I might be a bit late for the episode one chat, but I need to say this before we're onto episode two and I've missed the chance altogether.

I've been thinking about how this episode lands for kids. I thought it was very down to earth, the dialogue was finally believable, and the wacky antics and snappy quips were mercifully absent. And I started to worry: does that mean this episode was just for the grownups? Is Chibnall writing a fanboy's Who and leaving the kids behind? I've seen some comments to that effect on Twitter as well.

But I've thought about it, and actually he might be being very clever about this. Hidden in an episode that feels really down to earth and grown up, you've got concepts that come straight out of a child's nightmares. You've got body horror based on teeth coming out, something kids of Who-watching age are actually going through. You've got grandparents in peril - mortal peril even - which is either completely unthinkable to a child, or, if they're one of the unlucky ones, all too familiar and relatable. Aren't those a more subtle, more cerebral version of Moffat's "what if Chewits were actually evil! WooOo!"

And although it isn't as much of a child psychological horror thing, there's the thing of learning to ride a bike and the feeling of failure, wanting to throw the bike off a cliff. Again, something right out of a kid's inner psyche - but it was hidden so well, or I should say integrated so well, into this grownup-feeling programme, that it took me days to think of connecting it to its younger viewers.

This... might be brilliant.

...Also I put this out on the night of the relaunch and I think you might like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=828rVOsSifg

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Buml0r posted:

And although it isn't as much of a child psychological horror thing, there's the thing of learning to ride a bike and the feeling of failure, wanting to throw the bike off a cliff. Again, something right out of a kid's inner psyche - but it was hidden so well, or I should say integrated so well, into this grownup-feeling programme, that it took me days to think of connecting it to its younger viewers.

Yeah, this one didn't feel like it was hidden so much as justified very well. It felt a bit hackneyed and painful at first, when you see the attempts without knowing why he can't ride a bike, but once you learn about the dyspraxia it suddenly works really well.

Hitting Twitter on the night of the premier led me to two nice little moments relating to that:
1. A mother tweeting about how happy her ten-year-old son with dyspraxia was in finally seeing someone like him on TV. That's a sort of representation you never think about, of seeing someone on TV with the specific disorder you have, but it's so good that it's happening.

2. Tosin Cole said no to a stunt double and did all the 'falling off a bike' takes himself. Which I respected when I realized there's a LOT of those takes, they would've had to be done really close together, and convincingly falling off a bike isn't the easiest thing in the world on your body.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Eccleston was awesome and his outfit was part of that. I can't imagine any of the other doctors doing that scene in Dalek as well as that

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I would love to see Eccleston's Doctor paired with the dramatic post-Moffat increase in production values. Going back to Nine's season in 2018 can be downright painful, everything in the RTD years looks cheap and awful.

I recognize this likely seems like a silly complaint to those of you who grew up in the the era of cardboard cybermen, but I am a jilly-come-lately and I require fidelity and realism in my children's shows about timetraveling immortal wizards

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's hilarious how in The Three Doctors the First Doctor is so respected he's what it takes to get Two and Three to work together, when later stuff makes it so the majority of his incarnations see him as their lovely teenager phase.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean, at that point he'd spent the majority of his life as that man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

It's hilarious how in The Three Doctors the First Doctor is so respected he's what it takes to get Two and Three to work together, when later stuff makes it so the majority of his incarnations see him as their lovely teenager phase.

I seem to remember a theory that the Doctor aged mentally backwards in a way. Sort of like Mirth in the Mage comics.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oh yes, truly, the pinnacle of maturity, that's exactly what I'd describe the Doctor as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, "the lovely teenager one" does describe the First Doctor pretty well, visible age aside.