Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The worst part of Dark Souls is they put the save points AFTER the hour long anime cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you need to walk away you save and quit.

If you need to occupy yourself in the same room you stand still in a safe place.

It's very simple

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I heard that sometimes you can can walk forward and not take damage but also that's not always the case and sometimes you fall off a cliff and take falling damage? Which is it?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In order to really enjoy dark souls, you need to stop caring about yourself as a person and give yourself over to the game. It will disrespect you. It will do things that seem to accomplish nothing other than to hurt you, and it will laugh in your face about it. You won't understand dark souls until you've alienated everybody else around you and started spending your time on forums with other dark souls fans talking about how great dark souls is and how anybody who doesn't like dark souls is weak and stupid.

It's the Donald Trump of video games

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

It is fine.

It might not be fine for you and that's fine too. Like you said not every game is suitable for everybody.

This is a much better post than mine, honestly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

If you need to occupy yourself in the same room you stand still in a safe place.

This just doesn’t sound like very good advice when the game tries to trick you into thinking unsafe places are safe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Weedle posted:

This just doesn’t sound like very good advice when the game tries to trick you into thinking unsafe places are safe.

It doesn't

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Devorum posted:

Just got a Switch, and I'm sold on it pretty hard. Breath of the Wild is spectacular, and my wife and I have been playing the hell out of MarioKart 8.

My only complaint is that I bought Fire Emblem Warriors thinking it was the new Fire Emblem game, but it's...not. I don't hate it, but it's not what I was wanting.

I'm going to Japan next week, and for the first time in years, I might not bring my 3DS because I'll be bringing the Switch.

Yeah Fire Emblem Warriors was something of a disappointment to me, but I knew it was a a Musou (Warriors) game going into it. There is a proper new Fire Emblem coming early next year though.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Quitting out of Dark Souls is encouraged, also it's merely a death or petrification if you stand around in the wrong parts of the game, don't sweat it with a baby or toddler around.

Also I don't think I like this TWEWY port all that much. Maybe when SE patch a control scheme in that's worth a poo poo.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
After some experimenting, I'm finally getting the hang of TWEWY on switch mechanics. I can see why people complained, any enemy that's speedy tends to be a problem for me already. Def need to get some sort of stylus just because I can't swipe worth a drat, any recommendations before I just hit BestBuy and pick up whatever cheap one they have there?

Kinda sad I can't use my 3DS stylus, would of gotten a kick out of that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If you are scared of saving or pausing maybe dark souls isnt the game for you. Tbh.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

dying happens a lot in dark souls so if you take a sip of water and get knocked off a cliff by a hollow you didn’t know was there that’s just another day in lordran

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Your Computer posted:

Well this is a nice sewer, I think I'll stop here and take a rest. I'm sure the croaking in the distance is just some swamp gas! :yum: (Curse in DS1 is some bullshit though)

How can this be difficult? As long as you don't walk into a new area and assume it's safe you'll be fine. Just like, don't move. Enemies are placed like D&D encounters in Dark Souls and if you cleared an encounter then the place you're now standing is safe. If you move into a new area, chances are there's a new encounter waiting for you. Don't move into the new area unless you're ready to fight.

I'm sorry, did i mention croaking in the distance? Or some other audiovisual cue in this completely empty room?

No

It's a long loving area and i had never previously encountered a setback more grievous than death

you can assume fault all you want but the penalty for me looking away for a matter of seconds was hours of anguish, mandatory grinding and backtracking to fix it.
That's bad design

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 13, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm sorry, did i mention croaking in the distance? Or some other audiovisual cue in this completely empty room?

No

you can assume fault all you want but the penalty for me looking away for a matter of seconds was hours of horrendous game experience. That's bad design

There is always croaking if basilisks are are around. You just didn't hear it.

I know the "git gud" stuff is pretty obnoxious but this is very much on you.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Ignite Memories posted:

No

you can assume fault all you want but the penalty for me looking away for a matter of seconds was hours of horrendous game experience. That's bad design
It's not possible to lose progress in Dark Souls, and if you get cursed it's your own fault

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

No

It's a long loving area and i had never previously encountered a setback more grievous than death

you can assume fault all you want but the penalty for me looking away for a matter of seconds was hours of anguish, mandatory grinding and backtracking to fix it.
That's bad design

The save points in dark souls are not hours away from each other tho

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cool, thanks for all the love and support

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

He got cursed by the basilisks, which can be a real loving hassle to get rid if you don't know what you are doing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

The suffering of the cursed is too much to bear...

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

the process of beating the rest of the dungeon with half my health, then backtracking to the random gutter person the internet told me fixes the curse and getting it fixed absolutely was an hours-long process and it sucked

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

the process of beating the rest of the dungeon with half my health, then backtracking to the random gutter person the internet told me fixes the curse and getting it fixed absolutely was an hours-long process and it sucked

You are aware that you're currently complaining that Dark Souls is too punishing, right?

I mean... that's its thing. That's what it's famous for doing.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if it makes you feel any better basically everyone gets cursed by a basilisk their first time through the sewer, alt-tabbing or no

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

You are aware that you're currently complaining that Dark Souls is too punishing, right?

I mean... that's its thing. That's what it's famous for doing.

Yo, I was just trying to warn the fucker. Let's backtrack a moment and look at what just happened.

"Yeah, enemies don't really roam around in Dark Souls so unless you're currently in the middle of a fight you can just leave the game running and it'll be fine."

"I did exactly this and was grievously punished"

"you shouldn't have dressed like you wanted to get cursed you loving slut"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

if it makes you feel any better basically everyone gets cursed by a basilisk their first time through the sewer, alt-tabbing or no

I got cursed for the first time in the great hollow :colbert:

mostly because I accidentally skipped the sewers

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
On my first playthrough my weapon broke as soon as I got to the middle bonfire in Blighttown and I hadn't bought anything to repair with. I had to run back up through upper Blighttown, up through the Depths, and back to Firelink with no usable weapon. Now that was a lesson learned.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hey, at least it's a From Software game which uses analog controls.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volte posted:

On my first playthrough my weapon broke as soon as I got to the middle bonfire in Blighttown and I hadn't bought anything to repair with. I had to run back up through upper Blighttown, up through the Depths, and back to Firelink with no usable weapon. Now that was a lesson learned.

I entered blighttown through the master key shortcut and proceeded to go up because I thought that way was progress. Did you know that you can't open the Depths gate from blighttown's side? Then I had to go down the loving thing again.

After that I went to Ash lake and got stuck again. Going up Ash lake isn't very fun.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Darks souls 1 has a good amount of poo poo like curse that will send you to the internet asking for help.

Better games like Dark Souls 2 are less annoying about that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ignite Memories posted:

Yo, I was just trying to warn the fucker. Let's backtrack a moment and look at what just happened.

"Yeah, enemies don't really roam around in Dark Souls so unless you're currently in the middle of a fight you can just leave the game running and it'll be fine."

Owned by life, videogames, and himself

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Ignite Memories posted:

You stopped in an area you hadn't cleared out. Stop in a room that you've already explored and you'll be fine, because it's almost always true that enemies don't randomly roam from one room to the next. But they might roam around within an area or become aggroed from out of sight, and they will chase you into another room.

Ignite Memories posted:

:whitewater:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

please stop going hollow

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

'the area i haven't cleared out' being blighttown

edit: youre right i was in the depths congratulations i'll go buy more dark souls games now you all won the conversation

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 13, 2018

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

these dark souls are tearing us apart

e: there arent any basilisks in blighttown -_-

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

b_d posted:

these dark souls are tearing us apart

e: there arent any basilisks in blighttown -_-

I had the titular line in Dark Souls, you know.

"I'm just so tired of all these Dark Souls"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Dark Souls sounds like a miserable experience and anytime people come in to defend it they somehow make it sound even worse, I'll stick to accidently dashing diagonally into spikes in Celeste thank you very much

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Dark Souls sounds like a miserable experience and anytime people come in to defend it they somehow make it sound even worse, I'll stick to accidently dashing diagonally into spikes in Celeste thank you very much

if you can handle celeste you can handle dark souls

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

The enemies didn't roam, you did. You don't go into a new, unexplored area and expect it to be safe. It's incredibly simple.

Also don't be a creepy fuckstick, thanks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Brother Entropy posted:

if you can handle celeste you can handle dark souls

I will hand...off dark souls to the garbage man

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Does Dark Souls at least give you enough time to bone it to the skeletons before they kill ya, I need to know before I start investing in one-handed controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I will hand...off dark souls to the garbage man

thank you but i already have a copy