Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have been playing Blossom’s Tale and it is not like Dark Souls. It’s awesome and I think the game I’ve enjoyed the most on the Switch so far. Really scratching that 2D Zelda itch I get frequently. I haven’t beaten it but I hope they end it in a way that leaves it open to a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Your Computer posted:

The enemies didn't roam, you did. You don't go into a new, unexplored area and expect it to be safe. It's incredibly simple.

You're contradicting your own post but i'll keep this in mind the next time I decide to play dark souls

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Macaluso posted:

I will hand...off dark souls to the garbage man

Good, he will enjoy it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Does Dark Souls at least give you enough time to bone it to the skeletons before they kill ya, I need to know before I start investing in one-handed controllers.

There's binoculars that let you look at skeletons from a safe distance at your leisure!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

"you shouldn't have dressed like you wanted to get cursed you loving slut"

Oh my god you did not just do this

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mega64 posted:

Does Dark Souls at least give you enough time to bone it to the skeletons before they kill ya, I need to know before I start investing in one-handed controllers.

Warning amazing chest ahead

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Macaluso posted:

Dark Souls sounds like a miserable experience and anytime people come in to defend it they somehow make it sound even worse

Dark Souls is good because minor success in a poorly designed game that equates tedium with difficulty makes me feel like I'm achieving something in my hollow, empty life which is otherwise devoid of any accomplishment.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Regy Rusty posted:

There's binoculars that let you look at skeletons from a safe distance at your leisure!

That's nifty, I'm glad Dark Souls lets you enact voyeurism fetishes, though I hope it goes out of its way to warn of the dangers of doing so in real life and how it leads to unhealthy and harmful behaviors by reducing skeletons to objects of desire rather than full-boned undead spirits with their own dreams, beliefs, and desires to see you dead.

But you can't pause real life (yet) so I'm glad Dark Souls exists as a realistic fetish simulator to help people deal with their sexual desires in a healthy and respectful way.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Macaluso posted:

Dark Souls sounds like a miserable experience and anytime people come in to defend it they somehow make it sound even worse, I'll stick to accidently dashing diagonally into spikes in Celeste thank you very much
It's not so much about defending it as it is about correcting people who keep saying weird incorrect stuff about it, like "enemies roam around and kill you when you least expect it". It's one thing to not like Dark Souls because you've played it and don't like the gameplay loop, but it's another to make up stuff to convince other people not to even try it because your ego is too fragile to admit that you made a rookie mistake.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Then again Alwa's Awakening is also pretty hard and has patterns to memorize and master and brutally punishes you for making mistakes, but it also has a pause button and lets you adjust the difficulty if you want an easier time, so if you want Dark Souls but better then Alwa's Awakening is basically the same thing as Dark Souls.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

That's nifty, I'm glad Dark Souls lets you enact voyeurism fetishes, though I hope it goes out of its way to warn of the dangers of doing so in real life and how it leads to unhealthy and harmful behaviors by reducing skeletons to objects of desire rather than full-boned undead spirits with their own dreams, beliefs, and desires to see you dead.

there's a reason one of the most famous dark souls quotes is 'don't give up, skeleton!'

it's true, skeletons should not give up and neither should we

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Nothing but respect for MY Dark Souls

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Macaluso posted:

Dark Souls sounds like a miserable experience and anytime people come in to defend it they somehow make it sound even worse, I'll stick to accidently dashing diagonally into spikes in Celeste thank you very much

It's a genre in itself. Everyone's first souls game is a weird slow transition until it 'clicks'. It is as you experience, really tough to explain the intricacies let alone the enjoyment you get out of those games.

Defenders dismissing the bad and annoying parts often do a bad job of that. Dark souls has a lot of bad and annoying parts that people rose color glasses past(and the series fixes in future titles)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

there's a reason one of the most famous dark souls quotes is 'don't give up, skeleton!'

it's true, skeletons should not give up and neither should we

I love every single skeleton message I come across in DS games

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

You're contradicting your own post but i'll keep this in mind the next time I decide to play dark souls

Your Computer posted:

You don't go into a new, unexplored area and expect it to be safe. It's incredibly simple.

Your Computer posted:

As long as you don't walk into a new area and assume it's safe you'll be fine. Just like, don't move.

Your Computer posted:

You went into a new area and assumed it was safe. You never go into a new area and assume it's safe.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I love every single skeleton message I come across in DS games

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My first time playing Dark Souls was with friends who had beaten the game watching, who were all too willing to provide advice but also all too aware that leaving crucial bits of information out of that advice sometimes (not all the time, for that would lessen the effect) would invariably result in hilarious blunders/fatalities.

Protips and paranoia go strangely well together...!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They were probably talking about this one

Your Computer posted:

unless you're currently in the middle of a fight you can just leave the game running and it'll be fine.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i flipping love dark souls

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The real dark souls curse is endless dark souls arguments online

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

Nothing but respect for MY Dark Souls

I do love how you're likely to enter that world dressed as a cartoon chef or the Mario Paint costume, and can't change until after you defeat the dragon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

this is certainly far more frustrating than dark souls

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dark souls has never clicked for me nor have any of the popular games that borrow its mechanics/ethos e.g. hollow knight, so it's definitely some sort of mass psychosis and not just me.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've never played Dark Souls. But I've played a ton of hard games, and always play games on hard. It seems like nowadays people expect games to bow to their whims. "Oh I can only play for 5 minutes! I need to save constantly! I'm VERY BUSY"

I respect games that say "You need to sit down and give me time and attention or else I will gently caress you up". It's old school. Not every game needs to be like that, but I'm glad some are.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The trouble I had with Alwas Awakening was I figured out how to make and jump off a block in mid air. I thought this was intended so I ended up just going a ton of places I wasnt supposed to be

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

iddqd posted:

I have been playing Blossom’s Tale and it is not like Dark Souls. It’s awesome and I think the game I’ve enjoyed the most on the Switch so far. Really scratching that 2D Zelda itch I get frequently. I haven’t beaten it but I hope they end it in a way that leaves it open to a sequel.

Yeah it does look pretty cool. I was actually not interested at first because for some reason I thought it was a sequel to Ittle Dew which was a cute Zelda-like but SUPER easy and derivative. Is this actually tougher/more creative? I liked what I saw in that Tim Rogers video.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Didn't someone say the fans of the series are a particular kind of frustrating?

The game looks interesting, I want to get it, this is not a deal-breaker by any means, but it's a weird oversight to have been made. I'd much rather argue about the validity of weapon durability in BotW than this clear example of a bad game-design choice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do love how you're likely to enter that world dressed as a cartoon chef or the Mario Paint costume, and can't change until after you defeat the dragon.

I'm pretty sure you can still go into the ship itself and change in there

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Death means nothing in Dark Souls so it doesn't matter if you die. Getting cursed is bad luck tho (even though it happens to everyone) rip

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Didn't someone say the fans of the series are a particular kind of frustrating?

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah if there is one thing that isn't exaggerated about Dark Souls it's how lovely the community is :darksouls:

Dark Souls is the Undertale of video games, essentially

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Dark Souls is the Undertale of video games, essentially

You're alright, you're the one that convinced me to get the game basically. Meaning I will hold you personally responsible when I end up hating it and regretting the money spent! :argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Macaluso posted:

You know I was trying to put my finger on why this whole conversation was bothering me, and you hit the nail directly on the head!

:same: except instead of dashing into spikes, I'll stick to getting trampled by a Rathian.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Macaluso posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still go into the ship itself and change in there

Nah, the first time you go to that world your ship's been shot down by the dragon and is in crashed mode, and can't be entered. There's no store on that world either.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Dark Souls is the worst Souls-Like

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alan_Shore posted:

I've never played Dark Souls. But I've played a ton of hard games, and always play games on hard. It seems like nowadays people expect games to bow to their whims. "Oh I can only play for 5 minutes! I need to save constantly! I'm VERY BUSY"

I respect games that say "You need to sit down and give me time and attention or else I will gently caress you up". It's old school. Not every game needs to be like that, but I'm glad some are.

It's the difference in mentality between handheld consoles and home consoles, I think, the Switch being in an odd position for being both. Every handheld game to speak of can be paused at a moment's notice and resumed easily, or generally doesn't require constant input for any essential task. This was even built into the DS series with the clamshell automatically pausing the game when closed. This is because people are often playing handhelds in situations like riding or waiting for mass transit, spare time or sneaking away from work, hiding under the blankets etc, ones where you can't rely on the player having time to themselves and needing to pause indefinitely at any moment. (and of course situations like parenting and that) People ARE very busy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Silver Falcon posted:

You know I was trying to put my finger on why this whole conversation was bothering me, and you hit the nail directly on the head!

:same: except instead of dashing into spikes, I'll stick to getting trampled by a Rathian.

If you enjoy the punishing gameplay loop of monster Hunter I guarantee you'd gobble up dark souls. Both games hit the same notes for me in a very specific way. Don't miss out, whether you play the switch version, console version, original PC release with mods etc.

Just try it out for yourself, even if for just a level or two

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah it does look pretty cool. I was actually not interested at first because for some reason I thought it was a sequel to Ittle Dew which was a cute Zelda-like but SUPER easy and derivative. Is this actually tougher/more creative? I liked what I saw in that Tim Rogers video.

If your complaint about Ittle Dew (which I haven't played, fwiw) was that it was derivative, Blossom Tales likely won't excite you. It's a pretty straightforward LttP clone.

As for difficulty, there's some challenging platforming in a couple of places and a couple of the bosses mix it up by essentially being bullet hell shooters, but I'm bad at video games and I found Blossom Tales pretty easy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh I love Dark Souls but Monster Hunter has none of the things I enjoy about it and I find it pretty boring and grindy. You're not guaranteed to like both.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's the difference in mentality between handheld consoles and home consoles, I think, the Switch being in an odd position for being both. Every handheld game to speak of can be paused at a moment's notice and resumed easily, or generally doesn't require constant input for any essential task. This was even built into the DS series with the clamshell automatically pausing the game when closed. This is because people are often playing handhelds in situations like riding or waiting for mass transit, spare time or sneaking away from work, hiding under the blankets etc, ones where you can't rely on the player having time to themselves and needing to pause indefinitely at any moment. (and of course situations like parenting and that) People ARE very busy.

That's a very good point regarding the handheld nature of the Switch. And I'm super glad I can just press home and pause a game when I need to. But Dark Souls seems to be the type of game that you can't play in 5 minute bursts, which is fine. There's plenty of games that fill that need, and you save DS for an evening when you have some time free. It's all good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That reminds me I need to finish undertale I got up to that Knight lady who's been following you the whole game but the sounds of the blocking attacks was really triggering my wife's headache so I didn't finish that section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You could have turned it down, you monster