Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I was really disappointed to find that the 'cook them alive' strategy no longer works on mehanoids last week when my fledgling colony still didn't have a proper killbox. Wasted days building a flammable inner shell surrounded by a slate outer one only to have them happily mash through the walls and massacre most of my base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Nosfereefer posted:

Can't cook them unfortunately. The cave continues beyond the map border.

They are hollowing out the mountain.

e: the explodey turrety thingey worked! only a few arms and eyes lost

could you... engineer a cave in? I mean, if you build a big room outside the mountain, like, an extension, with sparse one square wooden columns, damage them in advance so they only take one hit to fall, wait til the bugs come slopping in then gun down the columns and crush them? Would that work? I get that in the caves it's all solid roof so it won't work like that even if they're tunneling around. I'm spitballing

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nah thick roofs work that way too, they drop a pile of rocks where the collapse is, not just some rubble somebody cleans up.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's a controlled demolitions mod that's sort of perfect for that since it includes expanding foam (to secure enemies in a tunnel/area) and sleeping gas (perfect for prisoners)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761379469

I like it because you can blow off overhead mountains much easier.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

That is kinda the main point of turrets.

Withdraw your pawns sooner, and use doors to stop the enemy. Your dudes can use doors, enemies have to bash them down. Form a gun line, shoot as many as possible, withdraw through doors and repeat. Eventually you will whittle them down. Defence in depth, you don't stick all your dudes on one line and wait for the enemy to smash into them like you're some idiot Roman consul, you shoot them up and then withdraw before they can actually mount a proper response. You're the defender, you've got ground to give, so give it. You can set up as many defensive lines as it takes and abandon them as early as you want. The enemy only wins if they get through all of them.

Don't just use doors. Build loving fortifications.A 3-wide hallway with a one wide enterance, three armored beefy melee dudes and every gun you have lined up behind them is a heck of a bug killer. The trick is making it so that the bugs cannot benefit from their numbers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Don't just use doors. Build loving fortifications.A 3-wide hallway with a one wide enterance, three armored beefy melee dudes and every gun you have lined up behind them is a heck of a bug killer. The trick is making it so that the bugs cannot benefit from their numbers.

Do they actually back up if you do that? I thought they'd just run past your dudes, is that a recent change?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
They can't climb over non-downed pawns and it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh.

I guess I never actually tried it, just assumed that pawns didn't block enemy movement because they don't block your own.]

That could definitely make my melee pawns more useful against bugs than they've hitherto been, I've mostly been keeping them back and then using them to clobber the odd one that gets through the door during a narrow retreat.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 12, 2018

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
This soggy bug is killing me. Half my colony just got hypothermia at -10 when the are geared up for -40. Is the only option to remove nature's pretty sweet?

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Demon_Corsair posted:

This soggy bug is killing me. Half my colony just got hypothermia at -10 when the are geared up for -40. Is the only option to remove nature's pretty sweet?

If there's one thing I would make canon from Nature's Pretty Sweet it's the rain and the making the ground wet to give a temporary boost to growth, but as nice as some of the stuff the mod adds, I found too much of it just complicated stuff unnecessarily. I mean... not saying it's a bad thing, it's a great mod, but it just made things more convoluted for me.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think there was a fix posted a few pages back. Haven't tried it myself though. Had to do something with a bad variable.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

That's very much how I feel about fertile fields and the concrete mod. Neat idea, but then suddenly there is 5 or 6 more resources to track and just a ton of busy work. Do I really need to specifically break gravel down into sand then put that into small bags so I can make small bags for sandbags or concrete.

That could just be me being bad at setting up the production lines to balance out with everything else I'm doing but it just seems like a ton of busy work. And that's not even getting into actually making fertile fields or any of the terraforming poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fertile fields terraforming is very nice because it makes getting indoor dirt work, which it really needs to be given how incredibly powerful it is. Especially with solars + autocycling sunlamps being basically pumped sunlight.

If you're going to make terrain control a thing you need to either make it very limited or require a big investment to keep it balanced and FF just barely manages that, for my money. It mostly requires you to harvest soil parts from elsewhere and move them, which I think is a better way to do it than many mods.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I sent out a two-man caravan and a dromedary to rescue a downed settler. They pick up up the guy but also come down with mechanite infections on the way back which slows them down to a crawl and has them mentally breaking every other day. Only one guy made it back after the food ran out.

So is there a way heal up guys on a caravan? Also, do you guys armor up caravans or does the movement penalty not make it worth it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

moot the hopple posted:

I sent out a two-man caravan and a dromedary to rescue a downed settler. They pick up up the guy but also come down with mechanite infections on the way back which slows them down to a crawl and has them mentally breaking every other day. Only one guy made it back after the food ran out.

So is there a way heal up guys on a caravan? Also, do you guys armor up caravans or does the movement penalty not make it worth it?

I don't know about healing, but you can send a second caravan carrying food and medicine to merge with a troubled caravan.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Or stop and make a camp to hunt/forage medicine/rest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Making camp is a mod, I believe, but yes ideally you would settle them down somewhere, set up a rudimentary hut, and just have them chill out and rest.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
in terms of kit, i armor up if i expect any combat, but stick with devilstrand gear if i'm not expecting trouble. it's less the speed loss and more the quality loss - having power armor deteriorate from frivolous use like that isn't really worth the trouble.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Realizing caravans can't just visit any hex in the world was a major disappointing moment for me. I was really, really looking forward to this in order to gather resources, expand, etc. Now I have no idea what to do besides wait for random traders or events nearby. For perspective, I'm on my first playthrough which is a continuation of the tutorial.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

porksmash posted:

Realizing caravans can't just visit any hex in the world was a major disappointing moment for me. I was really, really looking forward to this in order to gather resources, expand, etc. Now I have no idea what to do besides wait for random traders or events nearby. For perspective, I'm on my first playthrough which is a continuation of the tutorial.

I mean they can, you just need to enable more settlements in the options, then you can settle there, do what you want, and abandon the site when you're done.

It's not officially supported because obviously it doubles the workload of the game. You could alternatively use the "Make Camp" mod which spawns the small encounter maps on demand.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Completely and intensely recommending the Make Camp/Set Up Camp mod.

While you're at it, may as well add Giddy Up and it's associated submods in order to maximise carvanning speed by riding the packanimals around.

Whenever things get slightly quiet at home, I try to send out riding parties with a few spare pack animals along, usually a brachiosaur or two. Once you hit the Set up camp button on the caravan, you're gonna need somewhere to stay while you're mining, harvesting, etc, so I use the Camping and Tents mod to make camping tents, which are entire deployable buildings.

Gives you somewhere to go, a way to get there effectively that fits in with all tech levels, and a way to sustain your pawns happily while you're there.

What's not to like?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phoenix Taichou posted:

If there's one thing I would make canon from Nature's Pretty Sweet it's the rain and the making the ground wet to give a temporary boost to growth, but as nice as some of the stuff the mod adds, I found too much of it just complicated stuff unnecessarily. I mean... not saying it's a bad thing, it's a great mod, but it just made things more convoluted for me.

Donkringel posted:

I think there was a fix posted a few pages back. Haven't tried it myself though. Had to do something with a bad variable.

Yeah, that was me. Check the discussions threads on the steam page. One of them should be "Temporary Wetness Fix" or something with a link to a fixed dll file. I don't fully understand what I fixed, because I don't fully understand programming. I just know how to read it and then make some vague hand motions that look like programming.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, that was me. Check the discussions threads on the steam page. One of them should be "Temporary Wetness Fix" or something with a link to a fixed dll file. I don't fully understand what I fixed, because I don't fully understand programming. I just know how to read it and then make some vague hand motions that look like programming.

Awesome, thank you. Now my game isn't a total write off. It will take 15 more minutes for something else in the game to end my colony :v:

Does anyone have any tips on how to properly use the colony manager mod? I run into issues where the manager constantly adds more of tasks like chopping wood because I don't have enough people in my colony to have dedicated haulers so nothing gets hauled and the next day more gets selected to be cut.

And any time I try to use the work tab mod to set up a 2 hour or so hauling spree for everyone it seems to reset all my standard priorities.

Edit: Nevermind, the fix doesn't seem to cure existing soggyness. Rip this playthrough

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 13, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Awesome, thank you. Now my game isn't a total write off. It will take 15 more minutes for something else in the game to end my colony :v:

Does anyone have any tips on how to properly use the colony manager mod? I run into issues where the manager constantly adds more of tasks like chopping wood because I don't have enough people in my colony to have dedicated haulers so nothing gets hauled and the next day more gets selected to be cut.

And any time I try to use the work tab mod to set up a 2 hour or so hauling spree for everyone it seems to reset all my standard priorities.

Edit: Nevermind, the fix doesn't seem to cure existing soggyness. Rip this playthrough

It should. If it isn't, use dev mode to remove the hediff. You'll get a new one the next time it rains/they go swimming.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It fixed it for me, was super helpful.

I've never looked into time based jobs, though in hindsight I should probably do that. Having all the colonists go out and haul something regardless of their other priorities, even if it's only one thing right before bed, could be very useful.

I've seen that other prisoners or colonists I've "integrated" have had that set up, but I've yet to figure out how one does it yourself.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 14, 2018

wit
Jul 26, 2011

McGiggins posted:

It fixed it for me, was super helpful.

I've never looked into time based jobs, though in hindsight I should probably do that. Having all the colonists go out and haul something regardless of their other priorities, even if it's only one thing right before bed, could be very useful.

I've seen that other prisoners or colonists I've "integrated" have had that set up, but I've yet to figure out how one does it yourself.

Time based jobs are excellent, but I'd recommend having "everyone do this" parts of the day be at least 2 hours long, otherwise you get your hunters leaving game, walking across the map, almost picking something up to haul then just loving off to bed instead. Deliver to blueprints under construction is something everyone can do first thing in the morning and leaves builders free to build stuff for the rest of the day and cleaning last thing at night is best because there wont be any more dirt dragged in to the base and its just before pawns all go indoors to cry themselves to sleep about the dust on their carpet. Be very careful about setting really fiddly individual daily schedules with work tab, it can be hell to pinpoint some tiny thing that's causing a work standstill. KISS very much with that mod.

It goes all the way up to 9 but 5 is probably the lowest priority range I set things. For me its normally 5 = if I've nothing better to do, 4 = if I can't do the job I normally do, 3 = my main job, 2 = urgent, drop everything priority (rescue dudes, haul like crazy), 1 = personal life or death (firefight, be a patient)

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I like the idea of a mad rush to clean before bedtime.

What has been working for me this game is setting high priority stuff like fire fighting bed rest, flicking switches to 1, their main job to 2, secondary to 3, and then cleaning/hauling to 5 or 6.

Then when it's haul fun times in the morning I just need to set it to priority 1 to get it done. No trying to turn down their main job so they will haul or clean instead. Which is what I tried before and always had problems.

Can anyone recommend some good bunker designs?

Edit: oof, trying to set multiple specific hourly periods doesn't seem to to work very well. I'm trying to do a 6-8 period of mass hauling and a 20-21 period of mass cleaning and it seems like sometimes when I bump hauling or cleaning up for one time period it changes it for both.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 14, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would personally suggest that it is better to have people working the same job for as long as possible, avoid changing jobs, or giving breaks in between work blocks, because people will spend a lot of time walking between jobs that way. Put your recreation time before work, work all in one big block, then as much time as you need to recover from work.

This also means it is better to dedicate someone to each job rather than mass switching the whole colony between them.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I would personally suggest that it is better to have people working the same job for as long as possible, avoid changing jobs, or giving breaks in between work blocks, because people will spend a lot of time walking between jobs that way. Put your recreation time before work, work all in one big block, then as much time as you need to recover from work.

This also means it is better to dedicate someone to each job rather than mass switching the whole colony between them.

That's something I've never looked into, I naturally build pawn's work lives around the common real world work pattern with little lunch breaks and stuff in between then some free time before bed, but is there any real need to? I assumed they'd just all collapse from exhaustion but I haven't tried it out long term....like ever.

OwlFancier posted:

For really pressing projects that need done in a day or two (harvesting/construction) what works for me is area restriction which I find a lot less fiddly and infinitely easier to toggle than changing priorities back and forth. I set aside one zone which is quarters, materials dining/kitchen/rec rooms only and then add in the part of the base that needs work done. You can just flick everyone's restriction to that zone and they'll all focus on doing what they can for it because they can't access anything better to do but can still chill, eat and sleep. Then when its done or something comes up, just flick them back to normal.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Edit: oof, trying to set multiple specific hourly periods doesn't seem to to work very well. I'm trying to do a 6-8 period of mass hauling and a 20-21 period of mass cleaning and it seems like sometimes when I bump hauling or cleaning up for one time period it changes it for both.
Yup, its fiddly as gently caress. And one hour of cleaning as OwlFancier mentioned is just an hour of people walking towards something to clean. There's a nice mod for doormats that collect most dirt when pawns walk on them by the way, I think its called wipe your feet.

V: The fact that its a Boris Johnson av talking about transportation issues makes me grin.

wit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 14, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lunch break is extremely inefficient, because pawns will typically drop their work, wander over to a recreational activity, play with it for a few minutes then wander back to work. It's less a lunch break and more a "everyone walk around for an hour or two" break. It's serious wasted time.

Pawns are quite able to work an 8-10 hour block. They'll be joy deprived, hungry, and tired afterwards but you can schedule as much downtime as you want before bed for food and recreation, that's why it's best to schedule it before and after bed.

Work blocks of less than 4 hours are a waste of time in my view, and the longer the better, it can easily take the better part of an hour just for pawns to reach a job, much less complete it.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I never use the "Work" schedule option, one hour of "Recreation" in the morning, another one before bedtime, the rest of the time is set to "Anything". They love working anyway. The cook will cook, the crafter will craft and the researcher will clean before researching; the work is done. Using Allow Tool https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485 for haul+ and I don't have to micro much or change my priorities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Try setting the middle of the day to an 8 hour work block, I bet your productivity will increase. If you set them to anything then they'll bunk off to do recreation or eat and then go back to work, which eats up a lot of time.

Also yes my av would be quite fitting if not for the fact that Boris has never said anything as cogent as my posting ITT.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I remove the schedules even sleep, i set all the blocks to anything. Its probably not very efficient but they pretty much work constantly. You get a lot of night owls and schedules get sorta out of whack but it just kinda works. I feel like my pawns are easier to keep happy this way but its hard to tell. Im happy because i dont have to mess with all that and it kinda works. I seem to get a lot of nightowls so it really turns into two shifts that overlap over time sort of naturally and even some pawns without that trait do that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

To have people focus on hauling and cleaning I set a manual setting with the absolute priorities like bedrest and doctor as 1, then I set half the colonists to haul 1 and and clean 2, then the other half vice versa. I flip that on once every few days. Then I keep my non-manual priorities to limited selections so specialists focus in their specialities. I set night owls to sleep at night. I put 1 hour of joy time in the morning for half and one hour of joy time before bed for the other half. Seems to do okay.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 15, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
scheduling as a whole is not a huge deal just so long as you set work hours correctly. like owl said, the longer you keep people on the job, the better off you are because walking is such a goddamn chore in this game. i do a 6 hour morning shift, 2 hour break, 6 hour evening shift, 2 anything hours in the evening, 6 sleep hours, 2 anything hours in the morning prior to work. 6 is about the limit of a shift before people really start having needs bottom out, and they can fill one need well in a 2 hour break.

regarding priorities, i'm not sure why automatic job priorities are even in the game still. they are absolutely loving useless and there's zero reason to ever, ever use them. manual priorities are, imo, 100% required to have a colony that functions well enough to win on higher difficulties.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's kind of an issue where the game sets crafting timers based around how many days it takes to do stuff, which is fine.

But it sets walking pace based around what looks about right to the player, which means that it takes a disproportionately large amount of time to walk to places.

Either consider it as walking is much slower than you expect, or crafting is much faster than you expect.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pawns are actually constantly moving around in exaggerated slow-motion and practicing their Matrix moves, all day, every day

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Then why don't they loving dodge! :argh:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody