Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

I'm sure they'll be some kind of twist at the end, and yeah I know this happens a lot and it's not exactly the hottest take in the world, but that trailer sure feels like it lays out the entire plot of the movie from start to finish. Could be a bait and switch given the fact that the trailer doesn't feature nearly as much of the titular character as it does the beast.

It's probably a rental for me just to see McAvoy chewing scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm sure they'll be some kind of twist at the end, and yeah I know this happens a lot and it's not exactly the hottest take in the world, but that trailer sure feels like it lays out the entire plot of the movie from start to finish.

Something I've been wondering lately; does anyone suppose there are people who actually like when trailers do this and want to go into a movie knowing more or less how it's going to go without any danger of their expectations being upset? Or so they can feel clever when they watch it because they know what's coming?

It's a bit like that one Futurama joke: "But that's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared!"

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 12, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo, Amahl Farouk as The Sultan?

Dude rules. I'm in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

Huh. Based on how he played Farouk, you'd think Navid Negahban would make a better Jafar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

Something I've been wondering lately; does anyone suppose there are people who actually like when trailers do this and want to go into a movie knowing more or less how it's going to go

I vaguely recall reading some article like a decade ago that said this is the case for the vast majority of people, that marketing people know this, and that’s why so many trailers give away so much info

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the biggest recent movie - like, the studio tentpole or blockbuster - that had the trailer which gave the least away or presented scenes in such a way that didn't really reveal the context? Are there any really good examples? There aren't many that come to mind for me, but I tend to forget trailers once I've actually seen the movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trailers nowadays come in waves and you need to know when to bail from promotional material once you’re sold on a movie if you care about poo poo like being surprised.

There’s usually a teaser, followed by the main trailer, followed by maybe a 2nd trailer, and a few weeks to release you’ll have a final trailer that gives you everything in the movie because they haven’t hooked you yet.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the biggest recent movie - like, the studio tentpole or blockbuster - that had the trailer which gave the least away or presented scenes in such a way that didn't really reveal the context? Are there any really good examples? There aren't many that come to mind for me, but I tend to forget trailers once I've actually seen the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4

Didn't really give away much/any of the plot, and the scenes out of their context just look pretty/exciting/mysterious.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not recent, but I appreciated that the Matrix trailers made no sense and were just a wild jumble of pretty images. I went into the theater not knowing anything and had my mind blown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGgCqGm_6Hs

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Wheat Loaf posted:

The recent star wars movies have had very vague trailers. But maybe by the very nature of being star wars movies, a lot *is* given away

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Something I've been wondering lately; does anyone suppose there are people who actually like when trailers do this and want to go into a movie knowing more or less how it's going to go without any danger of their expectations being upset? Or so they can feel clever when they watch it because they know what's coming?

It's a bit like that one Futurama joke: "But that's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared!"
Yeahhhh, though that does seem like an unnecessarily condescending take on it. I don't mind getting spoiled or reading stuff about a movie or thing beforehand because it's usually about the journey for me and not the destination or power of surprises/twists. I feel like I'm the exception among my friends though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wheat Loaf posted:

mother! ? Also Passengers jumped to my mind but maybe you mean more than just spoiling the ending twist. I guess neither of these movies were really blockbusters though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Infinity War did this a bit. For the trailer they added the Hulk to a big climactic battle, to hide that Bruce Banner would spend most of the movie unable to transform. They also changed around how many gems were in Thanos's gauntlet for some trailers to obscure what order various scenes would appear in.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo has spots on both ends of the spectrum, the initial trailer is entirely a mood-setter and the second one spends like five minutes laying out the plot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKWXEfXGWtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQe3OrsMKI

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BlueBayou posted:

The recent star wars movies have had very vague trailers. But maybe by the very nature of being star wars movies, a lot *is* given away

The original Star Wars trailers - which I saw for the first time when they were on the 2004 special edition dvd set - are great because I think one of them starts with "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" then ends with "Somewhere, in space, this could all be happening right now!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Holy poo poo, a Yoda could exist! Right now! In space! While you sleep and/or poop, a Yoda is somewhere at that moment doing the same. Imagine...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Someone in the Star Wars thread just posted some long forgotten behind the scenes documentary of Empire, and it’s always fascinating how the actors were free to discuss the plot quite liberally because “spoilers” weren’t even a thing at that point.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jewmanji posted:

Someone in the Star Wars thread just posted some long forgotten behind the scenes documentary of Empire, and it’s always fascinating how the actors were free to discuss the plot quite liberally because “spoilers” weren’t even a thing at that point.

https://mightymega.com/2014/12/21/1982-mad-magazine-star-wars-predictions/

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sirotan posted:

mother! ? Also Passengers jumped to my mind but maybe you mean more than just spoiling the ending twist. I guess neither of these movies were really blockbusters though.

mother! , for sure. I'd say it's even a case of outright tricking the audience, which takes balls for a wide-release film.

The Matrix was pretty cryptic in its pre-release.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow, yeah. I never watched the mother! trailer because I like going in blind & especially to Aronofsky movies but it's pretty much a trailer for Rosemary's Baby 2017. That's a great trailer.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but generally I only watch trailers for the setup + dilemma which is roughly the halfway point. All the spoiler stuff usually comes after that.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://youtu.be/YfE7PUKH76w

The new Claire Denis film with Robert Pattinson. Looks incredible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

I unironically do. Mainly because I have a limited amount of money and if I'm not going to enjoy the movie, I'd rather not waste it. I get my enjoyment from the acting and direction and editing, not any twists or surprises. I hate mysteries and JJ Abrams obsession with an unopened mystery box absolutely baffles me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jewmanji posted:

https://youtu.be/YfE7PUKH76w

The new Claire Denis film with Robert Pattinson. Looks incredible.

loving YES

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I like watching movies with Robert Pattinson in them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

As an adult and thinking about John Henry for the first time since elementary school... something doesn’t feel right about a folk tale where a black man working himself to death is applauded and nobody questions the corporation continuing to get rich from underpaid labor
Aren't all the laborers replaced by machines in the story?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

Aren't all the laborers replaced by machines in the story?

Yeah, John Henry had a race against a newfangled steam-powered rock drilling machine to prove that he was better than the machine. He beat it but his heart gave out just as he won.

In this version he was an emancipated slave and his wife had his slave chains forged into a hammer for him
https://vimeo.com/70969279

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

So in other words, the railroad tycoon literally worked John Henry to death by cranking up his steam engine.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Krankenstyle posted:

So in other words, the railroad tycoon literally worked John Henry to death by cranking up his steam engine.

Yes it almost makes you think

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

I like watching movies with Robert Pattinson in them.
He's in a lot of great movies tbh. Loved Cosmopolis and Good Time.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Wheat Loaf posted:

In college, I knew a guy who would read through the Wikipedia synopsis of every movie before he’d watch it.

It used to drive me insane.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
So, apparently, they're making a new sequel to "The Mask" and it looks closer to the comic book version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftqWqGpZoTI

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's a fan film.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

volts5000 posted:

So, apparently, they're making a new sequel to "The Mask" and it looks closer to the comic book version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftqWqGpZoTI

That has to be a fan film

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It says so right in the Youtube description.
Also, the comic was still a comedy, ya embarrassing nerd dopes (the folks making this).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno if I’d call it closer to the source either, the source was pretty comical.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It says so right in the Youtube description.
Also, the comic was still a comedy, ya embarrassing nerd dopes (the folks making this).

drat it! How did I miss that? Guess I've been on a trailer kick lately and I got lazy.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fan films are cool, whatever. Not any worse than having four different “official” takes on Spider-Man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Teenage Fansub posted:

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno if I’d call it closer to the source either, the source was pretty comical.

The original comics were pretty drat dark, most of the jokes were about Stanley going on a murder spree when he first gets the mask and cartoonishly slaughtering people he hated like the mechanics who ripped him off and the elderly teacher who used to humiliate him in school:

Also I'm guessing the fanfilm people don't have much of the special FX shots completed and that's were pretty much all the comedy would be happening. There's almost no comedy in the story except when the Mask is going nuts, Stanley's life is pretty sad and pathetic and the rest of the story is cops going "What the gently caress do we do???"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Mask comics are extremely 90s, in fact I kinda want them to do a Jared Leto Mask movie rather than Morbius.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's crazy how much Doug Mahnke developed between the original and Mask Returns.

The Dark Horse omnibus with the first three miniseries is a pro buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If they're rebooting The Mask they should just do The Hunt for Green October

It's basically already "what if Shane Black did a Mask story," to the extent that I almost feel like The Predator ripped it off a little, and it would make a loving rad as hell movie.