Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

No it's 11. I'm sorry, but bowties are not cool and are pretty much only worn by human refuse IRL.

10/11 are responsible for the show becoming the huger international monster that it has and of course we have to see idiots dressing like them IRL every day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

10/11 are responsible for the show becoming the huger international monster that it has and of course we have to see idiots dressing like them IRL every day now.

Or idiots like me who have a picture of the Sixth Doctor at work, and someone who was in England during the 80's pointed to it and said "all the Doctors and HE'S who you have on your wall?"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Got around to watching it and it was okay for a Chibnall ep I guess. Kinda annoying in places, a dumb reveal for the bad guy, and they killed off the best character but nevermind. What did work was Jodie, obvs, and Bradley Walsh, surprisingly. I’m actually glad now he’s coming along, that whole Wilf 2.0 thing.

Also, from a pure visual standpoint, it’s never looked better, the ‘cinematography’ was as big a jump forward as it had been from the RTD to Moffat era, some of the shots were actually stunning. Or maybe it’s just because I have a new telly now, not sure. And the sound/music was so much better freed from the shackles of Murray Bloody Gold at last, the new theme is the best in decades.

So hmmm. I have zero faith in the Chibster but as ever, I guess a delightful lead will do just enough to counterbalance the bullshit and keep me in there for those 2 or 3 great eps that invariably occur each series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

Or idiots like me who have a picture of the Sixth Doctor at work, and someone who was in England during the 80's pointed to it and said "all the Doctors and HE'S who you have on your wall?"

You're not an idiot and I also have C.Bakes stuff in my office.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Rhyno posted:

drat you David Tennant for bringing suits into the mainstream!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Attitude Indicator posted:

drat you David Tennant for bringing suits into the mainstream!

I was mostly referencing stupid brown trenchcoats that were trending a bit too much.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Hakkesshu posted:

No it's 11. I'm sorry, but bowties are not cool and are pretty much only worn by human refuse IRL.

It was a good way to show that the Doctor is an old man in a young man's body. As story telling by costume it was brilliant.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
11's immortal grad student look was far superior to the generic Victorian frock coat he ended his tenure in. Didn't he have two of those?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mameluke posted:

11's immortal grad student look was far superior to the generic Victorian frock coat he ended his tenure in. Didn't he have two of those?

Yeah, they were lame. I liked his 1920s professor look more, it was great

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The day after 11 premiered, you couldn’t find a single tweed jacket in any charity shop in the UK.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

He looks like someone doing an 8th doctor cosplay, it's weird and not good

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In addition to it having been a fantastic look for Michelle Gomez, I'm glad they went with the Mary Poppins aesthetic for Missy because it must have been really tempting to do that for the first lady Doctor, and the direction they went is so much better. Yes, it looks a silly, and I love that. It makes her look like a childrens' book character has come to life in the real world, and that's exactly who the Doctor should be.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

He looks like someone doing an 8th doctor cosplay, it's weird and not good

He was auditioning for the Fantastic Beasts movie. :v:

docbeard posted:

In addition to it having been a fantastic look for Michelle Gomez, I'm glad they went with the Mary Poppins aesthetic for Missy because it must have been really tempting to do that for the first lady Doctor, and the direction they went is so much better. Yes, it looks a silly, and I love that. It makes her look like a childrens' book character has come to life in the real world, and that's exactly who the Doctor should be.

Sort of a Quentin Blake thing.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

CobiWann posted:

You're not stupid, they just never listened to the audios.
Sixth Doctor best Doctor!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Best part, it's this picture. Have you ever seen a better "what fresh hell is this" face?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CobiWann posted:

Best part, it's this picture. Have you ever seen a better "what fresh hell is this" face?

On the Doctor, or the man behind him?

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1051408838585450496

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 14, 2018

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, so, the idea of each Doctor having their own theme music was only introduced with Eleven. I am the Doctor is so amazing. I love it so much. Twelve's theme, Good Man, was great too. Nine and Ten shared a theme. All choir ahs. But it was a theme for the both of them and the fact that they shared it always felt to me like they'd had there own if things went more as expected.

There is no evidence, now that Murray Gold is gone, that Thirteen will have a theme at all.

But if it's the music that played when they made their sonic, I am gonna' be so pumped. I would love to hear that every time they solve a problem at the climax.

That music also played during the big "I am the Doctor" moment and also when she chose her outfit, so I am actually 100% certain that's her theme. Hoping we get a faster electric guitar version at some point.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Let Capaldi play the theme for the opening credits for Thirteen

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I've been watching season 5 again and it's like, they clearly want the viewer to think Rory is a lame wet blanket but he's always right

Amy sneaks into an evil vampire school and he's like, this will go wrong, and she does anyway and what a shock

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Being a wet blanket doesn't mean you can't also be right

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Rory was one of my favourite companions of the revival, along with Donna, in large part because he was such an everyman character. That's why I'm looking forward to this season's companions so much (especially Bradley Walsh's character whose name I always forget and mentally replace with Wilf).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Staggy posted:

Rory was one of my favourite companions of the revival, along with Donna, in large part because he was such an everyman character. That's why I'm looking forward to this season's companions so much (especially Bradley Walsh's character whose name I always forget and mentally replace with Wilf).

Wilf Graham?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

corn in the bible posted:

they clearly want the viewer to think Rory is a lame wet blanket but he's always right

I always figured that was kinda the point. Amy has built up this giant fantasy in her head of The Raggedy Doctor who will take her on adventures and everything will be fun and sometimes a little scary but ultimately it's all a fairytale and the good guys will win etc. Rory is the guy in her life who keeps bringing her down to earth, and so at first she resents his presence since it marks the complete opposite side of her life and she doesn't want to be brought back to earth (literally and figuratively) and have to grow up or accept there are real consequences to what is happening. One of the best examples of their differing philosophy comes when he enters the TARDIS for the first time and is nonplussed, with a "mundane" explanation rather than the usual baffled response, which irritates the Doctor.

Of course, both quickly find a middle ground that keeps them both happy, and allows Amy to find a balance between her real life and her fantasy life. Plus, of course, it really does turn that they're living in a fairytale, and the Doctor is definitely some crazy storybook character come to life. The Cat in the Hat without the aggressive mean-spiritedness.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Vinylshadow posted:

Wilf Graham?

Look I just wanted Wilf to go on space adventures ok

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
No Face. 3/10

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I like the new opening credits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh gently caress I love this new opening

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well this is certainly a lot of things happening very quickly with camera shake.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Oh gently caress I love this new opening

Me too. The sort of zero-g blob of liquid thing to the star field is awesome. And the theme, also excellent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"We're all going to die!"
"We're all going to die?"
"Oh Yaz, didn't see you there... no we're going to be fine!"

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
What's space lady's accent supposed to be? I can't pin it down.

e: somewhere between Derry and Devon, best I can tell.

Murderion fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 14, 2018

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Also the Doctor's ear piercing, did you think it popped in to existance with the regeneration or did she stop off to get it done before crashing? Not that matters either way, it's a nice touch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was wondering last week if the TARDIS was still translating for them, I guess I got that answered now.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Over the misty mountains, through mirkwood over the swamp of eternal stench blah blah blah.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DroneRiff posted:

Also the Doctor's ear piercing, did you think it popped in to existance with the regeneration or did she stop off to get it done before crashing? Not that matters either way, it's a nice touch.

Like Thirds tattoo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Venusian Akido :hellyeah:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

FUN TIME

Ben Soosneb posted:

Over the misty mountains, through mirkwood over the swamp of eternal stench blah blah blah.

Kinda reminds me of Grant Morrison comics, dropping absurd references with zero payoff to big up the background fluff.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The self lighting cigar will very obviously be used to save the day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahaha his squealing :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
Eeeeeevil clooooothes :spooky: