Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

[Q]

Hey Stampede, how about a poem.

It's a high pitched sound
Hot rubber eternally pressing against a blackened pavement
A wheel is forever
A car is infinity times four

I'm a storm torrent across a slate-gray sea
I rush in billowed reflections a fast, fast dark sky over an Edinburgh's meadow's wet
I bolt white high through snowfall cold
I am lightning in the night
I sprint like fire across a match head
And leap across lakes of dream-stuff
Over ancient walls
Past armies fast as fast is
Faster than quicksilver can fall into the sun
I, bounding, prance unstoppable to you
My all
My everything dream

Glass, flat and forever
It stretches out and never stops
Unless it finds the hills whose lines rise to mountain peaks
Far as far can be

Thanks Stampede.

---------

I loving loved Interstate 76 and now I basically have Groove Champion's car. It'll be my DD, replacing my ol' faithful Infiniti G35x with 357,000km. Pretty solid start to the midlife crisis IMO.

Now you just need to find a friend with an early 60s Continental.

You're cool. God I loved that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

thanks for that memory, Stampede. Dope ride

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Hey midlife Crisis friend!!!!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

TheFonz posted:

Hey midlife Crisis friend!!!!

Noice.

I was going to hold out for a plum Challenger, but jumped on this one when I saw it. The honeymoon period still han't ended and I'm not sure it will. I smile just seeing the big orange idiot sitting in my parking spot.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Noice.

I was going to hold out for a plum Challenger, but jumped on this one when I saw it. The honeymoon period still han't ended and I'm not sure it will. I smile just seeing the big orange idiot sitting in my parking spot.

My only regret in my midlife purchase is that I went convertible instead of just going Z06. It's still not the worst place to be.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My regret was that I bought my midlife crisis car at age 25 so now I assume I'm going to die by age 50.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

davebo posted:

My regret was that I bought my midlife crisis car at age 25 so now I assume I'm going to die by age 50.

I bought my first mid-life crisis car at 25 when I was still poor and then upgraded to a new midlife crisis car with the Charger. If you're constantly having midlife crises, YOU NEVER DIE.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TheFonz posted:

If you're constantly having midlife crises, YOU NEVER DIE.

yolo

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Not in my ride yet but I found an appropriately cocainey radio to put in the supra, I believe this is from the late 80's or early 90's and was apparently insanely expensive back then. even old alpines have an "ai-net" port in the back that you can attach some modules to that let you get AUX and bluetooth in. The stock head unit looks cool but is affected by a capacitor plague that causes the speaker outputs to cut out intermittently, and the tape deck is incompatible with those minijack adapters for some reason

The bottom unit is an equalizer that also hides a (working!) tape deck behind a flip down faceplate. the equalizer has a bunch of different visualization modes. There is also a minidisc version of this part that seems impossible to find, even on yahoo japan actions but as soon as I do it's going in (I actually own a bunch of minidiscs, for some reason):

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That would look great in any of the 80s-90s tuner junk that I have lying around the place.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

d0s posted:

Not in my ride yet but I found an appropriately cocainey radio to put in the supra, I believe this is from the late 80's or early 90's and was apparently insanely expensive back then. even old alpines have an "ai-net" port in the back that you can attach some modules to that let you get AUX and bluetooth in. The stock head unit looks cool but is affected by a capacitor plague that causes the speaker outputs to cut out intermittently, and the tape deck is incompatible with those minijack adapters for some reason

The bottom unit is an equalizer that also hides a (working!) tape deck behind a flip down faceplate. the equalizer has a bunch of different visualization modes. There is also a minidisc version of this part that seems impossible to find, even on yahoo japan actions but as soon as I do it's going in (I actually own a bunch of minidiscs, for some reason):

Alpine and Eclipse were the poo poo back in the mid-90's. Awesome looking stuff.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

TheFonz posted:

I bought my first mid-life crisis car at 25 when I was still poor and then upgraded to a new midlife crisis car with the Charger. If you're constantly having midlife crises, YOU NEVER DIE.

For real? Despite being a four door sedan does the Stinger count as a mid-life crisis car then? It'd be great if I could hit 80. 50 seems young to die since we're just now having a kid.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

wallaka posted:

Alpine and Eclipse were the poo poo back in the mid-90's. Awesome looking stuff.

With the tape behind a CD player it seems newer than late 80s/early 90s. It's probably late 90s
This is the alpine head unit I had in the late 80s. Tape only. And instead of the antitheft being removing the face plate, the 'antitheft' was the whole unit was removable - so there was a massive front handle.

To date this I'm thinking 89 ish

First removable faceplate models were ~92 - and then they were tape deck/tuner with remote CD stacker/deck option. single din CD/tuner (no tape) head units were a little later, and cd with tape as well in an all in one unit were even later IIRC

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 14, 2018

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Fo3 posted:

With the tape behind a CD player it seems newer than late 80s/early 90s.

Sorry I should have explained better. What's in my picture is two separate single DIN units, the CDA-7841J on top and TDA-5641 on the bottom. The top unit is a CD player and AM/FM radio and the faceplate is not removable, and does not articulate at all. The bottom unit is an equalizer and a tape deck, that interfaces with the top unit via ai-net connectors. To use the hidden tape deck of the bottom unit you press the "open" button and the faceplate swings down. The faceplate of this unit isn't removable either, actually I can find no anti-theft features on either of these. You can use either one independently with the the right wire harness or connect them together with ai-net as in my picture to have a "double din" multifunction unit. Through ai-net you can switch to the tape deck with the source button on the CDA and the equalizer DSP of the TDA affects the sound coming from the CDA.

All that said I looked into it and late 80's is way off, these units are most likely from 1993-1994ish. They're not from the late 90's, their design language had changed then to the style they still pretty much are today. These were "high end" (see: blingier, probably not any better sounding) units only sold in Japan, during the same time that most Alpine head units were still mostly black as the one in your picture, but near the end of that era.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was about to say, I don't think those fourteen segment displays made their debut in car stereos until the early-mid 90s.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, I was about to say, I don't think those fourteen segment displays made their debut in car stereos until the early-mid 90s.

Due to the bubble economy some higher end Japanese products had what must have been ridiculously opulent electronic components for the time, here's an old unit with a dot matrix display:

In car DAT, for some reason??

Full color LCD with CD-ROM GPS navigation in a 1991 Toyota Soarer:

If you look at what Japan was selling to their own market vs. what they were exporting a lot of it seemed a decade or more ahead of time in those days, which is probably where the whole Japan = cyberpunk future thing comes from. This is probably why I initially mis-dated my own head unit, with a lot of this stuff it's kinda hard to tell

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 14, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I had a Japanese import 2nd gen Integra back in the early 2000s and it had a head unit that looked similar to the top half of your one but with tape instead of CD (CD was a separate single disk unit in the slow below). It also had a huge amount under the passenger seat wired to 6x9s (remember them) in the rear parcel tray.

Of course the CD player didn't work any more and the cones were rotten on the 6x9s so I replaced those with (at the time) modern Pioneer gear but kept the ampnfor as long as I had the car (it was four channel so could run the front speakers too).

The next car I had after that was a late 90s Nissan Avenir wagon with the factory Xanavi system and a flip down face Pioneer CD player. That nav system never worked (it couldn't read the disk and as useless outside of Japan anyway) so the entire time I had the car it just displayed an error message in Japanese against a blue background). The CD player worked but the ribbon cable was worn so occasionally the system would switch to the highest possible volume and stop responding to any controls - usually opening and closing the face a few times would fix it.

The joys of old Japanese cars I guess.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Noice.

Three months and 7k miles and I'm still have that feeling with my Challenger. It's going to be interesting in the snow.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

SFH1989 posted:

Three months and 7k miles and I'm still have that feeling with my Challenger. It's going to be interesting really quite pedestrian overall, since I am preparing for the winter by buying winter tires and weight in the trunk.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TheFonz posted:

I've had a V8 musclecar since I was 20, and bought a rotary sports car when I was 30 or so. Then I didn't sell or trade off either of them. Therefore, I will never die. I even had an Italian car before I graduated high school. It was Fiat (rare in the US of A), but still...
I have not yet owned a German car, Swedish car, or English car. 'Mercan, Japanese, and Korean. Technically my Buick Regal was Canadian, if you want to count it that way.

wallaka posted:

Don't forget Fujitsu Ten (which was actually Mitsubishi, wasn't it?)

edit: nope. It was a subsidiary of Fujitsu (duh), and is now a subsidiary of Denso, ans called Denso Ten... and their car audio and nav stuff is Eclipse. Huh.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 15, 2018

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

d0s posted:

I used to roll with a 7949 and an ERA-G320, with a 12-disc changer.

I got a hold of one of the aux adapters too so I could plug my iPod in.

I was running on that setup until I got my Avic.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I did a three step thing to my blue car (polish/glaze/caranuba wax) and all I took was a picture with my phone.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I did a three step thing to my blue car (polish/glaze/caranuba wax) and all I took was a picture with my phone.

It's so shiny that all I see is the blurry reflection of someone in a wheelchair?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

that is incredibly shiny, like shinier-than-BMW-polishes-them-for-ads shiny

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice, inspiration to wash mine which was long overdue. Thanks! I might paint my 220M's darker next year, I think I like it better when the wheels are covered in a fine layer of brake dust.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

NumbersMatching320 posted:

(green car supremacy tho)

one last post about this but green is traditionally a very common color in camouflage because it helps the user hide in plain sight by blending in with the natural surrounding environment

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I've had a V8 musclecar since I was 20, and bought a rotary sports car when I was 30 or so. Then I didn't sell or trade off either of them. Therefore, I will never die. I even had an Italian car before I graduated high school. It was Fiat (rare in the US of A), but still...
I have not yet owned a German car, Swedish car, or English car. 'Mercan, Japanese, and Korean. Technically my Buick Regal was Canadian, if you want to count it that way.

I've had my V8 classic since I was 20, too, but I've never (so far) been able to afford anything nice enough or fast enough to count as midlife crisis. Since I'm 30, I guess that means I'm going to make it at least past 60!

TheFonz posted:

Zeno's crisis?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

I've had my V8 classic since I was 20, too, but I've never (so far) been able to afford anything nice enough or fast enough to count as midlife crisis. Since I'm 30, I guess that means I'm going to make it at least past 60!

Not sure if a first gen RX-7 counts as mid-life crisis-mobile, but it is a sports car at least. And I have 7 6 5 of them.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've had my i30 SR for a few months now.

TRIP REPORT:

Overall, I still love it. I still think it's the best looking small car out there today, and the red trim on the interior gives it some lasting charm and personality that a sea of grey plastic doesn't have. Sunroof is fun and people are always amazed at how far back the curtain goes. The stereo took me a fair bit of time to EQ properly (had to boost the b'jesus out of the mids) but I'm used to it now and it's decent. If somebody replaced the stereo, I'd understand. The buttons feel nice, but they're the sort of button that you definitely have to push in the middle if you want it to register as a buttonclick and that applies to all buttons (EG: The unlock button on the doorhandle). But hey! We are still a Hyundai aren't we?

In terms of handling, it's fantastic. If you make those front wheels understeer, you absolutely deserved it because you were driving like a drongo. Seats are surprisingly comfortable too and I've never had moments where my rear end fell asleep. I wish the engine made a bit more of an enthusiastic noise, but no biggie. Android Auto drops out all the time (only USB connection) so I don't bother with that and just bluetooth my phone which works really well. The on-board GPS is kinda crap and has lead me into traffic a few times. Google Maps seems to kick the poo poo out of the GPS, but the screen is great so when you're just using it as a map, it's good and easy to read.

The engine is a blast BUT: I think they should've done something to the front wheels to help them handle the torque\power. It's pretty easy to chirp the tyres at red lights or whatever if you aren't paying attention, but aside from that, the gearbox is pretty drat smooth. The traction control could do with some easing off. There's been once or twice in the wet where the traction control has kicked in (usually after an accidental chirp), and kinda got one of the front wheels shuddering as you go around a corner. To be fair, that's only happened to me twice (and on the same corner so maybe there's just a weird camber on that corner?) but I didn't feel like the TC was helping me control the car. The power and torque is really good fun and super addictive in such a small car, but with maybe some better tyres on the front or something just so it can handle the power a FRACTION better would be nice. It doesn't need any help cornering though, that's for sure!

Overall, it still makes me smirk when I see it and those clear days where I can fling it through some twisties on my way home for work are a blast. No buyer's remorse or disappointment here :)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

In the rest of the world, my car came with yellow fog lamps:

It's a love it or hate it thing but I always thought they look good on older cars and wanted them on my Supra, but as close to stock looking as possible, not a fan of those crazy bright yellow xenon bulbs a lot of people put in, or the tinted film that leaves the lights yellow even when off. Originally the JP/EUR cars came with a yellow capsule built into the fog light housing, but these complete housings are hard to find and expensive. A common mod for US cars is to take the capsules from a Lexus ES250 and kinda hack them in, so I bought some from a guy on that forum and did it:

Pretty happy with how it turned out but the passenger side is a bit washed out compared to the driver's side, so I'll have to find another capsule sometime. Night shot:

I also removed the 30+ year old baked on dealer applied pinstripes with this thing after spending a ton of time with a heat gun and a credit card and getting nowhere. It worked really well! Also flushed and bled the power steering system, because it was groaning a lot and not working particularly well and now it's very smooth. Next up is to do the same with the brakes as the pedal has a habit of going slack when stopped at a light etc. Absolutely loving this car so far, I don't even care about the seats anymore, idk if they've formed to my body I learned how to sit on them or what but one day I noticed I was no longer uncomfortable, which rules.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

yellow lights are cool but i find it hard to adjust to 80s visibility using them. Did the pinstripe removal leave discoloration where it covered the paint?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

Did the pinstripe removal leave discoloration where it covered the paint?

very slight and it's single stage paint so hopefully it's gone next wax

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

d0s posted:

Next up is to do the same with the brakes as the pedal has a habit of going slack when stopped at a light etc. Absolutely loving this car so far, I don't even care about the seats anymore, idk if they've formed to my body I learned how to sit on them or what but one day I noticed I was no longer uncomfortable, which rules.

Might have more to do with the master cylinder than the fluid.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Might have more to do with the master cylinder than the fluid.

Yeah but the fluid looks gross so I'm going to do it first since it's easy, if it persists the master cylinder is next, thankfully it's an easy part to find.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I bought a factory bro truck

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

dreesemonkey posted:

I bought a factory bro truck

Nice! Those wheels really don't look OEM, so I'd say your assessment is right if you lift it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Speaking of bro trucks, is having an outrageously bright (like, seriously absurd) horizontal LED bar mounted in exactly the right place to annoy people in any normally sized vehicles in front of you the new rolling coal? I've been seeing it a ton here in d-bag land

e: the LEDs I'm talking about are so bright they cause blinding mirror glare in full daylight

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 25, 2018

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

d0s posted:

Speaking of bro trucks, is having an outrageously bright (like, seriously absurd) LED bar mounted in exactly the right place to annoy people in any normally sized vehicles in front of you the new rolling coal? I've been seeing it a ton here in d-bag land

e: the LEDs I'm talking about are so bright they cause blinding mirror glare in full daylight

Sadly, yes, and it's not just relegated to brotruck dickheads either. Earlier this year I saw a dude in a lovely old Subaru Legacy who had felt the need to replace his headlights and grille with a full-width LED bar.

I still get a little angry just thinking about that actually.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Got a new daily/work truck. Neither of my work trucks have a/c (Im a lawn care guy) and they are both manuals and underpowered. I'm also planning on getting a car trailer which will fit two mowers and my John Deere. Right now I have to drive my JD to where I'm working and it's fun but at 12mph it's a time waster.

2000 Silverado Z71 with a 5.3 and 4L60E. Right now I'm just fixing a bunch of stuff it needs, a wheel bearing, brakes and just got new tires that are 31.5s. Even needing some work I love it so far. Only 89k and got it for less than 2k.

First day I got it

Interior is mint

The other day

I can't wait to work on the paint and I just got new rockers that I'll put on over the winter, maybe next spring.

It's going to be so great to have a/c, an automatic and tons of power pulling my trailer every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Less than 2 grand for a running driving full-size truck? Hot drat, son!