Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A good reason to not consider them for now and see how N1 goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Amoeba102 posted:

The other theory for the reeling is that it serves as public watching and tracking of the 4 players. Anyone they visit or visits them will reek by contact.

This is what I've been assuming this is going to do, myself.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

Whoa! So like uh.... like a parrot or blabbermouth or whatever that thing is called. A visitor might reak of piss day 2?

Yeah, or what i called "Loud" roles in my games. Announced to thread. Either way it's likely to have some significance and we can see how it pans out.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Toalpaz posted:

Whoa! So like uh.... like a parrot or blabbermouth or whatever that thing is called. A visitor might reak of piss day 2?

I was wondering about this but I didn't want to say it :(

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I just realized revolver anidav and anidav are separate.

Jfc

I don't think Caroline is scum she reads as an earnest newbie to me

I'm looking at supporters esp people who supported multiple, that seems like buddying to me

Imo best position for scum is not to draw the attention of being the trainer but supporting instead

So here's the support list

Toalpaz ---> Tommunist
AA ---> Caroline
Imgay--->venom soag????
Xiw--->Caroline
Imgay--->AA
Toalpaz--->Caroline
Monathin--->caroline
Hal--->caroline

I'm gonna throw down

##vote imgay atm and remain open for toalpaz

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Supporting was less 'I want to buddy up with people' and more 'I want to be on the dog training team, and it implies material benefit to me.' You can't really say it's scummy to want to participate in an open ended game with mysterious benefits or drawbacks.

An old man I used to know said that the key to actually finding scum is to look for scum hunting that isn't genuine. The key motivation behind scum hunting as scum is to appear townie and never actually find scum. Look for people who are faking scum hunting participation IMO.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Wanna give an example there bud?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Moatillata posted:

Jfc

I got lynched because of this once.

If scum team train dog, it will grow up to be an evil dog I'm guessing.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Dog trainers, did you do anything or was it automatic?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Wanna give an example there bud?

Are you talking to me? Okay well, here's my example.

Moatillata posted:

Jfc

I'm looking at supporters esp people who supported multiple, that seems like buddying to me

Imo best position for scum is not to draw the attention of being the trainer but supporting instead

Toalpaz ---> Tommunist
AA ---> Caroline
Imgay--->venom soag????
Xiw--->Caroline
Imgay--->AA
Toalpaz--->Caroline
Monathin--->caroline
Hal--->caroline

I'm gonna throw down

This whole list doesn't have anything real to do with scum motivations. If anything, scum were probably would be cautious about hoping on an event that had a nebulous benefit to them. As I said before, the motivation for people hopping on probably was primarily that it sounds special and fun to train a dog. That motivation isn't scum or town, and scum are naturally cautious so they are actually disincentivized to participate in this kind of thing.

However, as scum, making this kind of list that at first glance appears like detective work but doesn't contribute any meaningful reads of player actions beyond 'scum must have hopped on'. Therefor, Moatillata, 'appears' to be scum hunting but is in reality picking low hanging fruit with little to no chance of catching scum based on flawed logic. This play makes sense because Moatillata cares more about appearing town, then catching scum. So it makes them look scummy.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Toalpaz posted:

This whole list doesn't have anything real to do with scum motivations. If anything, scum were probably would be cautious about hoping on an event that had a nebulous benefit to them. As I said before, the motivation for people hopping on probably was primarily that it sounds special and fun to train a dog. That motivation isn't scum or town, and scum are naturally cautious so they are actually disincentivized to participate in this kind of thing.

However, as scum, making this kind of list that at first glance appears like detective work but doesn't contribute any meaningful reads of player actions beyond 'scum must have hopped on'. Therefor, Moatillata, 'appears' to be scum hunting but is in reality picking low hanging fruit with little to no chance of catching scum based on flawed logic. This play makes sense because Moatillata cares more about appearing town, then catching scum. So it makes them look scummy.

Thanks for elaborating! That's actually a pretty solid case against Moat, imo.

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

"Diamond Dogs? They're pretty good...

But they've got nothing on my doooooooooooooooog...."
The thing with scum hunting and "fake" scum hunting is it's all in the eye of the beholder

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

what I want to know is why no one has tried to take a shower yet

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Revolver Anidav posted:

The thing with scum hunting and "fake" scum hunting is it's all in the eye of the beholder

Its the nature of this game my friend. Maybe I take pride in smelling like piss.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Revolver Anidav posted:

what I want to know is why no one has tried to take a shower yet

if you shower off the pee you're scum because I bet it does in fact work similar to what we're thinking.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

Just checking if you were thinking of Bif.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Cause Bif is the only other person scum hunting.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
##vote moat

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Moatillata posted:

Jfc

Toalpaz ---> Tommunist
AA ---> Caroline
Imgay--->venom soag????
Xiw--->Caroline
Imgay--->AA
Toalpaz--->Caroline
Monathin--->caroline
Hal--->caroline

I'm gonna throw down

this feels super disingenuous

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Toalpaz posted:

I'll do it because it rhymes.
##vote Moat

Also what the gently caress there are two Ani's?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I play Mafia so well that people made a parody account of myself.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Imo my list is p good and I think there is something to this idea

It's funny that you take such umbridge to it yet don't vote me

Additionally the way you lightly threw shade with your old man parable and then made it seem like someone else drew the case out of you

MY EYE IS UPON YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Well at first I was suggesting that you provide more and better cases, cause I thought that one wasn't useful.

Then someone asked me for an example where I provided a case like the one I envisioned and I explained why your case drew my attention. I think you could be scum, but you also could be a someone trying your best or just posting your first thoughts on a matter. I think your response to that was a little defensive too. Whatever, I'll vote you.

##unvote

##vote Moatillata

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Toalpaz posted:

Well at first I was suggesting that you provide more and better cases, cause I thought that one wasn't useful.

Then someone asked me for an example where I provided a case like the one I envisioned and I explained why your case drew my attention. I think you could be scum, but you also could be a someone trying your best or just posting your first thoughts on a matter. I think your response to that was a little defensive too. Whatever, I'll vote you.

##unvote

##vote Moatillata

Thank you sir

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I think it is wrong to say scum are disincentivised to train the dog.

Also repeating, did you trainers have actual input after the selection?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

CubicalSucrose posted:

I'll do it because it rhymes.
##vote Moat

Also what the gently caress there are two Ani's?

Also don't like this vote

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm taking the dog as an Ecco cop and assuming at least one of them is scum from that, as well

Caroline
Aug 29, 2018

I am forced to look for clams like a bird. However, did you know that I am very good at looking for clams like a bird? I am even better at eating them.

Amoeba102 posted:

I think it is wrong to say scum are disincentivised to train the dog.

Also repeating, did you trainers have actual input after the selection?

Nope!

It just happened.

It's real gross. :(

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm taking the dog as an Ecco cop and assuming at least one of them is scum from that, as well

That's also a really good and interesting thing to think about.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Moatillata posted:

Newbie..?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Is Caroline also mmm????

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Retro Futurist posted:

Are you saying that you think the pee itself was an indicator that one of the trainers was scum?

(What's an Ecco cop in this context? I read the lizardman game but I'm aware there were a million older games before that)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

xiw posted:

Are you saying that you think the pee itself was an indicator that one of the trainers was scum?

(What's an Ecco cop in this context? I read the lizardman game but I'm aware there were a million older games before that)

Yeah, an ecco cop takes a group of players, and tells you if there are scum among them. It doesn't give you an individual result but a result on a group of players, so you have to do some scum hunting to get an actual scum.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Toalpaz posted:

Supporting was less 'I want to buddy up with people' and more 'I want to be on the dog training team, and it implies material benefit to me.' You can't really say it's scummy to want to participate in an open ended game with mysterious benefits or drawbacks.

An old man I used to know said that the key to actually finding scum is to look for scum hunting that isn't genuine. The key motivation behind scum hunting as scum is to appear townie and never actually find scum. Look for people who are faking scum hunting participation IMO.

jeez these kids are too young to be Mafia dads already

##vote Toalpaz

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Moatillata posted:

Is Caroline also mmm????

better

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

mmm mmm mmm?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Showering is for cowards, apparently.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

jeez these kids are too young to be Mafia dads already

##vote Toalpaz

I like to think of myself as a mafia older sibling. That old man was merk.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Is everyone a god drat rereg or alt account

I can't keep track of this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Moatillata posted:

Is everyone a god drat rereg or alt account

I can't keep track of this poo poo

gonna get a plague of new accounts urging us all to vote moat because it rhymes

• Locked thread