Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Turpitude posted:

Gimme a half assed review of it because I am thinking I might get

You’re Aurora from sleeping beauty, but instead of sleeping you’re banished to a shadow realm sort of thing and you need to fight to rescue your dad from evil witch stepmom. Combat is turn based jrpg-ish with a fun mechanic to disrupt enemy moves. There’s also a socketing system for upgrading health/damage/etc as you collect and refine gemstones. That part is basically the diablo socketing mechanic. Movement is 2d side scrolling; you approach enemies from behind to get the drop on then.

The art is all watercolor-ish and is beautiful. I can’t stress enough how great the backgrounds, animations, etc are. The writing is pretty good- you of course make friends to add to your party, solve villages’ problems, and all that standard sort of JRPG stuff along the way. There’s a pretty standard - but well done - leveling mechanic where you can level your moves, get new moves, etc. It’s maybe 10 hours long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I'm currently without home internet, what kind of service will i need to play smash online? Would a10mbps connection be enough if I'm the only user?

That will be pretty rough but may be doable 1 on 1 if your opponent has a good connection.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Even 1 Mbps would work, games barely use any bandwidth. It's latency that will affect how games run, and I've been on both 1.5 Mbps connections that worked great and 30 Mbps connections that were useless poo poo.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Unsolicited game recommendation:

I’d like to throw some coins in for Yoku’s Island Express. I picked it up on sale a month or two ago. I’m not really a big pinball person — I suck at it, generally — but pinball-platformers have always intrigued me (I think I remember playing a couple others in the past).

Anyway I’m really pleased with it. It’s super mellow, low key, and “cute” in a way that doesn’t grate on me at all. It’s really nice to look at and the music is quite good.

It’s not “difficult” at all, really, and in fact is very relaxing. It’s a really nice game to play after or in between more difficult, challenging games.

I enjoyed it much more than I expected to and in fact logged like 15 hours on it. For sure worth the purchase IMO OK thanks for reading

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm going end up watching some footage to see how exactly the mechanic is used, but I've got to say... that sounds kind of disturbing.

It is intentionally so. But to avoid it becoming too gross with the gore JJ tirns into a silhouette with white blood as soon as she's injured.

You still hear her scream when she's hurt which is creepy enough. Also the game has a warning about disturbing themes at the beginning and it isn't kidding around.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I may finally submit to going wired when Smash comes out. My Switch and router are both in the same room but complete opposite corners and it's the longest room in the house. This is apparently enough to make my connection spotty as poo poo

Would any old LAN/USB adaptor and cable do the trick?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Child of Light: If you’re the type of person to get annoyed by everyone talking in rhymes, don’t get it. I was on board with everything else about the game but that One Thing ruined it for me

they're not very good rhymes either

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sudden Javelin posted:

I may finally submit to going wired when Smash comes out. My Switch and router are both in the same room but complete opposite corners and it's the longest room in the house. This is apparently enough to make my connection spotty as poo poo

Would any old LAN/USB adaptor and cable do the trick?

My switch is 5 feet from my fiber router and it lags in Fortnite and tests at like 10mb. I think the hardware is just crummy. I’ll be in a hotel getting a third the signal on my switch that my iPad/phone get.

Something I’ve noticed with games like Mario Kart is that it smooths over latency by lying to you sometimes. I’ll hit my friend with a shell while talking to them, see them spin out into a wall then just sort of speed back up. He’ll then tell me he didn’t get hit by anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I will fully own up to being unreasonable about it because everything else about the game seemed fine.

Dragon Quest XI also has a whole city of people who rhymed but it didn’t piss me off, maybe they just wrote better rhyme

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Steve Yun posted:

I will fully own up to being unreasonable about it because everything else about the game seemed fine.

Dragon Quest XI also has a whole city of people who rhymed but it didn’t piss me off, maybe they just wrote better rhyme

The rhyming dialogue in DQ XI generally has really good meter, and also it's not the whole game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Meter makes a huge difference and it's very often overlooked by people who get the idea that it would be neat to write something with rhyming.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dragon Quest's English localization has been on point with rhyming for years now, as they've had quite a lot of practice with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what guys I think I am done with games where you have to hold a button down. It's so pointless.

I turned on auto charge in Mega Man and also changed my fire button to auto, and I'm thinking "Why the gently caress wasn't it always like this?"

Further more in Mario I always want to loving run. How about you just let my press a button in the rare occasion I want to walk.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Nep-Nep posted:

The rhyming dialogue in DQ XI generally has really good meter, and also it's not the whole game.

Yeah, it was really well done and clever. Also, I think it lasted just long enough.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Run buttons should have stopped being a thing as soon as analog joysticks started being common.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Playing The World Ends With You with a joycon is so loving weird. It retains all the touchscreen controls as the DS version except you point a cursor.

Why?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

It is intentionally so. But to avoid it becoming too gross with the gore JJ tirns into a silhouette with white blood as soon as she's injured.

You still hear her scream when she's hurt which is creepy enough. Also the game has a warning about disturbing themes at the beginning and it isn't kidding around.

Yeah, I personally don't find it "disturbing" so much as "stressful", especially when I screw up a puzzle and need to go back and set my character on fire again, for example. I know self harm is one of the themes of the game and I'm interested in where Swery goes with it, but in the early game, I think I'd enjoy the game play mechanics more if my character was someone that didn't feel pain.

Also, if you like the morph ball from 2D Metroids, that's exactly what the segments where you play as JJ's decapitated head are like, except the head doesn't roll as smooth since it's a bit oblong.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Child of Light: If you’re the type of person to get annoyed by everyone talking in rhymes, don’t get it. I was on board with everything else about the game but that One Thing ruined it for me

If you hate when people speak in rhyme
You’re going to have a dreadful time
With Child of Light, despite its beauty
And noted dearth of cartoon booty.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
child of light doesn't just rhyme, it rhymes badly

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Is the game even that good besides the visuals? I passed on the PC version because the consensus seemed to be that it was the kind of game that everyone wanted to love, but the actual game was pretty mediocre.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Frankston posted:

The Switch is a total garbage failure until it gets an F-Zero game.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Frankston posted:

The Switch is a total garbage failure until it gets an F-Zero game.

Also Mario Golf

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I came across this and hoping it was some kind of fan project that was being worked on because it looks real good, but then in the description it says that it's not a game or anything, just a proof of concept :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG6lVNJSe04

:negative: :negative: :negative:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

You goons know about Fast Rmx right?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I picked up Tropical Freeze again, but started it out in Funky mode.

I’m a scrub, but this game is delightful.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I haven't finished it yet, but I think if you want to play a cute game with a fun overall conceit, Wandersong is shaping up to be a better game than Child of Light. The story actually goes somewhere and the characters are much better realized because all the dialogue isn't mangled low effort rhyme. Also it's not an RPG, which is a big plus honestly.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Coeur de Pirate did the music for Child of Light and that alone is a reason to play it, at least for me

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The Silver Snail posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but I think if you want to play a cute game with a fun overall conceit, Wandersong is shaping up to be a better game than Child of Light. The story actually goes somewhere and the characters are much better realized because all the dialogue isn't mangled low effort rhyme. Also it's not an RPG, which is a big plus honestly.

How engaging is it mechanically? The singing looked interesting but I don't wanna spoil it with a gameplay tthrough incase the game is short.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I am way late to the party and just got and played through all of undertale and it was one hell of a ride so I'd recommend it to people who like video games but don't Google anything about it ever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chronojam posted:

I am way late to the party and just got and played through all of undertale and it was one hell of a ride so I'd recommend it to people who like video games but don't Google anything about it ever.

kudos to you for never actually hearing anything about it until you played it

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

bushisms.txt posted:

How engaging is it mechanically? The singing looked interesting but I don't wanna spoil it with a gameplay tthrough incase the game is short.

Mechanically I would call it "serviceable." It largely plays out like an adventure game, but with some occasional light puzzle platforming, and of course the ever present singing mechanic. It's good fun to just fool around and make the bard sing at basically any point in the story, but singing is mapped the the right analogue stick, and its a little finicky as far as actually performing a song perfectly. So far there haven't been any fail-states for those music/rhythm game portions though, so I just end up sounding a little bad sometimes.

But as a vehicle for the story, it more than gets the job done. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it's a bit like a Paper Mario game but with none of the RPG combat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is a Mario Party + Joycon bundle placeholder on Amazon.

Looks like $90.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

There is a Mario Party + Joycon bundle placeholder on Amazon.

Looks like $90.

Says $100 for me.

Still seems like a great deal. If you need some Joy-Cons you might as well grab Super Mario Party for $20.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I came across this and hoping it was some kind of fan project that was being worked on because it looks real good, but then in the description it says that it's not a game or anything, just a proof of concept :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG6lVNJSe04

:negative: :negative: :negative:

they've aged like finely grated rear end but darn it i love the prerendered graphics in the dkc games

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I bought a cheap LAN USB port for the Switch a month back and the difference is night and day. Downloads are way faster and I've had practically zero disconnects or lag in Splatoon. If you're getting Smash for online then it's a necessity.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Is it normal for review embargo's for console games to be right up to the release date? That Starlink game comes out tomorrow (16th) unless I am reading things wrong and I can't anything but previews of the first half an hour of gameplay. It looks like fun if you get the digital edition, but I don't want to go for something that is super shallow as I think it is going to turn out to be. The lack of reviews the day before it comes out adds to my concern considerably. I wouldn't dare preorder anything these days, especially from Ubi, but am I just out of touch or is weird that no reviews have been published yet.

Edit: Fixed the post looking like I was having a stroke while typing it.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 15, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I DO NOW

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bombadilillo posted:

https://twitter.com/babylonian/status/840681863870013440

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nick 'Sex Pest' Robinson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bowmore posted:

Nick 'Sex Pest' Robinson

Why doesn't that dude just get a real job and stop posting? How embarrasing for him lmao.