Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Okay, I'm fully caught up now, and I'm continually disturbed by the comments that somehow think Victoria is more in the wrong than Amy and that she somehow is obligated to try and see things from Amy's perspective. I don't get why it is so hard for these people to understand that Victoria has no moral obligation to make up with Amy, and it honestly kinda concerns me about how they behave in their own personal lives (it brings to mind the sort of people who are emotionally abusive towards others and then blame them for not forgiving them).

violent sex idiot posted:

bonesaw had that aerosolized powder that just turned off the bit of the brain that controls powers, as well as building immunity to cherish's mastery into the rest of the s9

That's a bit different, because the former makes sense given we know that organ let's people use powers (so affecting it would logically stop powers, whereas the same logic doesn't apply in reverse), and the latter wasn't the result of something like just consuming a chemical/drug (IIRC she actually did surgery on the S9's brains and replaced their neurons or something). Like, both those things (especially the first) more or less make sense, but becoming immune to a power (especially one like Goddess's that is less well defined than Cherish's) through just consuming a drug is a much bigger stretch, especially considering Bonesaw is about as good as bio-related tinkers get (so I doubt Teacher's tinker swarm could do better).

edit: Oh wait, actually it does make sense, because Goddess's power only works on parahumans, which implies it likely works through that little organ and could presumably be affected by something like that aerosol.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
New PracGuide:

Making the oaths to 'the Sovereign of Moonless Nights' instead of Cat personally seems like... excessively blatant a loophole? She feels real dumb lately.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed and allowing Akua to develope a police force and power up her own minions. Seems pretty obvious she will usurp the sovereign title and mantle at some point.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i think its not out of question that teacher might have some legit tinkers on his payroll/mind controlled so he could have more than his swarm working on countermeasures

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyoujin posted:

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed and allowing Akua to develope a police force and power up her own minions. Seems pretty obvious she will usurp the sovereign title and mantle at some point.

Yeah, it almost seems too obvious, but some "downfall" like that fits in many ways. Catherine has also been getting a bit overconfident in her own power, or at least it feels that way to me. But it's hard to see her being so stupid that she ends up letting Akua take over, especially after Akua already took her over once before and she's had Thief reminding her of the danger. But this whole "making the oath specifically to the title" is just a huge Chekhov's gun. I guess you could argue that since she's making the oath using Winter, it has to be to her Winter title, but I'm pretty sure she could also enforce an oath with "the person named Catherine Foundling + some other identifying info."

Then again, I'm not sure what Catherine losing the title would even mean, since her body is made of Winter; I'm not sure if it's even possible for her to return to a "normal" body. Personally, I don't really favor the Winter thing disappearing and her transitioning into some other Name; it just doesn't feel right, and it seems like there's some significance to her not explicitly being a Heroic or Villanous Named (though I guess Winter is sort of like a proto-Evil Named).

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it almost seems too obvious, but some "downfall" like that fits in many ways. Catherine has also been getting a bit overconfident in her own power, or at least it feels that way to me. But it's hard to see her being so stupid that she ends up letting Akua take over, especially after Akua already took her over once before and she's had Thief reminding her of the danger. But this whole "making the oath specifically to the title" is just a huge Chekhov's gun. I guess you could argue that since she's making the oath using Winter, it has to be to her Winter title, but I'm pretty sure she could also enforce an oath with "the person named Catherine Foundling + some other identifying info."

Then again, I'm not sure what Catherine losing the title would even mean, since her body is made of Winter; I'm not sure if it's even possible for her to return to a "normal" body. Personally, I don't really favor the Winter thing disappearing and her transitioning into some other Name; it just doesn't feel right, and it seems like there's some significance to her not explicitly being a Heroic or Villanous Named (though I guess Winter is sort of like a proto-Evil Named).

The only way I can see this not backfiring is if Catherine is somehow inseparable from her Mantle or Akua ODs on Winter (again) and accidentally ruins her own plot while monologuing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it almost seems too obvious, but some "downfall" like that fits in many ways.

Well it’s like. You know it’s all going to go to poo poo so why not control exactly how it goes to poo poo and then have contingencies for that.

By making it so obvious maybe she’s forcing the story through that narrow hoop? And has a plan to deal with it?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Maybe Akua will have a change of heart and they'll be best buds forever until thief kills her.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

SerCypher posted:

Maybe Akua will have a change of heart and they'll be best buds forever until thief kills her.

I really like how one of the strongest emotional reactions Cat's had post-winter was getting super-duper hot for thief after she went on a long, graphic tirade about how hard she wants to kill Akua.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Teriferin posted:

The only way I can see this not backfiring is if Catherine is somehow inseparable from her Mantle or Akua ODs on Winter (again) and accidentally ruins her own plot while monologuing.

Cat's soul has been bound to the mantle, so pretty inseparable as far as we know.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

I really like how one of the strongest emotional reactions Cat's had post-winter was getting super-duper hot for thief after she went on a long, graphic tirade about how hard she wants to kill Akua.

That scene is one of the best non-interlude bits, it's wonderful how much of a horndog Cat is. :allears:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

That scene is one of the best non-interlude bits, it's wonderful how much of a horndog Cat is. :allears:

I would also rank as quite high that recent, stupid vaudeville routine that she, Indari, and Akua turned camping into- you know you're having a good day when you play go fish with knives and dare your friend to eat your (fake, weird fairy construct) body parts to save time hunting up rations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

SerCypher posted:

You may recall that Thief has certain performance issues

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thief is probably the most interesting character in the Woe (and arguably among encountered Named, period), in that she has seemingly displayed an unusual amount of change during her Named "career." Most other Named seem to mostly stay the same, and Catherine flat-out stopped being Named (though Winter is kinda a proto-Name). I'm the most curious about how she'll evolve and influence future events.

Hakram is probably a close second. Even after his PoV chapter, I'm still not entirely sure what to make of him. From what I understand, the main reason he attached himself to Cat is that he thought she had the potential to create real change, which could help his people.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm restarting pracguide book 3 and I hope Anaxares never figures out that there's nobody who's going to make him explode by doing magic on a pebble in his guy

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I was fine reading the Tristan and Byron interlude until the 'day 57' section, weirdly enough. Well, I guess it's not that weird when you imagine what Byron's POV there must have been.

So Dr. Wall totally was just trying to placate Tristan and ratted asap, right? Because if not WTF. It's also weird to me that the attempted murder thing he did was to Byron, as people were legally reckoning it. Obviously his intention to never let out Byron factors into that, but honestly attempted murder seems like a really ill-fitting charge because the closest non-powered thing to what Byron experienced is solitary confinement. Which is definitely psychologically worse for you if there's no expectation of an end, btw. Honestly I'm surprised Byron is at all functional, because while their powerset is pretty bad like that at least before they were swapping enough that you don't get the impact of solitary, and then he got tossed in for a 70 day stretch with no real end in sight.

So like, this isn't me defending Tristan, this is me saying what he did was both worse than attempted murder and very different in execution, so the reveal that the attempted murder charge was for Byron feels ill-fitting enough to make me feel kind of jerked around. Like 'oh, one of the things we know about Tristan is that he tried to murder a teammate', except that's not what actually happened.

For all I'm glad Tristan wasn't able to handle the guilt of what he was doing while he was doing, it's not really a factor that makes me like him when he kept realizing what he was doing and then... failing to actually release Byron and face the music. I like Tristan a lot more as he is currently than the Tristan of two years ago because goddamn what a shithead.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Worth the Candle updated with 4 more chapters.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

PetraCore posted:

I was fine reading the Tristan and Byron interlude until the 'day 57' section, weirdly enough. Well, I guess it's not that weird when you imagine what Byron's POV there must have been.

So Dr. Wall totally was just trying to placate Tristan and ratted asap, right? Because if not WTF. It's also weird to me that the attempted murder thing he did was to Byron, as people were legally reckoning it. Obviously his intention to never let out Byron factors into that, but honestly attempted murder seems like a really ill-fitting charge because the closest non-powered thing to what Byron experienced is solitary confinement. Which is definitely psychologically worse for you if there's no expectation of an end, btw. Honestly I'm surprised Byron is at all functional, because while their powerset is pretty bad like that at least before they were swapping enough that you don't get the impact of solitary, and then he got tossed in for a 70 day stretch with no real end in sight.

So like, this isn't me defending Tristan, this is me saying what he did was both worse than attempted murder and very different in execution, so the reveal that the attempted murder charge was for Byron feels ill-fitting enough to make me feel kind of jerked around. Like 'oh, one of the things we know about Tristan is that he tried to murder a teammate', except that's not what actually happened.

For all I'm glad Tristan wasn't able to handle the guilt of what he was doing while he was doing, it's not really a factor that makes me like him when he kept realizing what he was doing and then... failing to actually release Byron and face the music. I like Tristan a lot more as he is currently than the Tristan of two years ago because goddamn what a shithead.

This rubbed me the wrong way in the same way that Taylor's school administration did- all authority figures being incompetent jerks is a well-worn WB cliche at this point, but Dr. Wall's conduct feels borderline criminal to me. I know counselors are legally required to notify the authorities if their patients confess to a crime or they believe they're about to commit one, and the idea of the evil corporation having an evil counselor whose job is to explicitly undercut teenagers' mental health to pad the bottom line isn't very fun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Well, another aspect is that Tristan is extremely good at manipulating people, and therapists in the real world are extremely fallible and are often fully capable of being manipulated. We already knew from past chapters that Tristan had a good relationship with this guy (like the part where he hardly let Byron speak during an earlier meeting), so it's not that unbelievable that he'd be in denial that Tristan could have done such a terrible thing.

PetraCore posted:

The thing that concerns me some about Tristan is that 1. as you mentioned, he never actually did make the choice to let Byron out; until he literally had no chance of escape, he would have chosen to try and keep going (though to his credit, the guilt was eating him alive - the guy is definitely no sociopath). Also, when Byron said that the arrangement with Barcode was for Tristan, not him, I think he's alluding to the fact that the arrangement exists primarily to prevent Byron from ever taking control of them. So it's something done out of a continuing doubt that Byron truly forgave him. That being said, I don't foresee Tristan doing anything really bad in the future, since the guy obviously still knows right from wrong and understands his own issues for the most part. He's just still obviously lacking in empathy (in the sense that he can't see things from other peoples' perspectives, even after everything that happened).

Also, I totally agree that it is very strange Byron is even sane. Over 2 months of something arguably worse than solitary confinement is extremely hosed, and Byron was apparently "screaming" the whole time, since that's what he did the instant he came out. I guess it may have helped with the whole "indefinite" thing that Byron was witness to Tristan's deteriorating mental state (so there was some reason to hope things would come to a head). But still, Christ - that's a total nightmare

I thought the chapter was really good, overall. It was very uncomfortable to read, which was presumably the intent.

edit: As a side comment, I want to know how that Basilisk (or however he spelled it) guy's power works. A vague reference was made to "killing sight." It always bugs me when wildbow brings up random parahumans without explaining their powers (even though I agree that it would be awkward to do so every time, but it'd be nice to have in a little glossary at the end of each chapter or something, at least for non-plot relevant folks where their power isn't a spoiler).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 17, 2018

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

Also, I totally agree that it is very strange Byron is even sane

I mean, Victoria's sane... kind of.

Best chapter in a long while, IMO.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've been resisting clicking spoilers as I get closer to current on Ward and just knowing that we get more info about the capricorn situation is making my heart go pitter pat

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
this thread has disappointingly little to say about the romantic life of my idiot insect son (the wandering inn)

I will say that the payoff for the laken chapters where his stupid blind rear end got his entire realm burned to the ground because he just had commit genocide to surprise his party guests was immensely satisfying, if still majorly :smith: for Rags. It provides pretty good context on just why everyone is potentially losing their poo poo about a new [emperor] emerging. Turns out all loving monarchs suck!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 17, 2018

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Finally caught up on TWI. Bugger you Laken, I never liked your chapters to begin with.

Now to catch up on Ward.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

21 Muns posted:

I mean, Victoria's sane... kind of.

Victoria's situation was extremely hosed, but it wasn't quite "literally cannot communicate or even control your own body to the slightest extent." She had some non-zero human communication, even if it was very limited due to not being able to speak.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

this thread has disappointingly little to say about the romantic life of my idiot insect son (the wandering inn)

I will say that the payoff for the laken chapters where his stupid blind rear end got his entire realm burned to the ground because he just had commit genocide to surprise his party guests was immensely satisfying, if still majorly :smith: for Rags. It provides pretty good context on just why everyone is potentially losing their poo poo about a new [emperor] emerging. Turns out all loving monarchs suck!

He attacked Rag's tribe because he thought it was part of the Goblin Lord's army coming to attack him. It had nothing to do with the guests, except possibly in timing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

He attacked Rag's tribe because he thought it was part of the Goblin Lord's army coming to attack him. It had nothing to do with the guests, except possibly in timing.

He completely intended to surprise his guests with a show of force. He could have easily alerted his guests about the army and they could have driven them off without any major conflict. He wanted to show the nobles that he was A Big Deal and could do Big Boy Things like genociding goblins. He also wanted his guests to be uncomfortable with the proximity of the army and dependent on him for their safety.

Well gratz Laken! You got to learn just because you have a godmode skill doesn't actually make you a god. I'm sure his namesake, Emperor Norton I would be proud. Considering, y'know, Emperor Norton's greatest act was interceding to prevent a pogrom against Chinese immigrants.

Seriously gently caress that guy.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 19, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ytlaya posted:

Victoria's situation was extremely hosed, but it wasn't quite "literally cannot communicate or even control your own body to the slightest extent." She had some non-zero human communication, even if it was very limited due to not being able to speak.
Yeah, there are some similarities in feeling alien to your body and communication difficulties, but for Victoria those were difficulties and not impossibilities. She was in a facility with trained professionals doing their best to alleviate the agony she was in, even if it was obviously still hellish. There's no way such a facility wouldn't be mindful of the psychological impact of isolation. I don't think the secondhand interaction Byron got through Tristan's eyes actually helped very much, any more than being able to see and talk to people who refuse to acknowledge or communicate with you delays the onset of solitary confinement symptoms. Which is to say, it might help some as far as certain values of human contact go, but it just reinforces the issue of a lack of human interaction.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Okay can somebody spoil the ending of those two G/E chapters if TWI?

Also, anyone following Heretical Edge?

Gladi fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 19, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gladi posted:

Also, anyone following Heretical Edge?

I tried. Lost track around the point they came back from space. Has something interesting happened?

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

I tried. Lost track around the point they came back from space. Has something interesting happened?

That is not a lot behind current happenings. I think just the chapter after that one of the longer plots got resolved. I can see how you could lose your track. I binged it in three days and have trouble with all the stuff author keeps piling on.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So from what I hear the German guy was the one who commits genocide in TWI huh :geno:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Xun posted:

So from what I hear the German guy was the one who commits genocide in TWI huh :geno:

everyone commits genocide in twi.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Xun posted:

Basically commits genocide using manuever warfare and gas and he has the most effective secret police.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

everyone commits genocide in twi.

Maybe it's just because I tend to be too hard on Erin, but I keep expecting her kind-hearted but hilariously ill-advised introduction of (poorly-explained) abrahamic religion to a race of weird bug monsters with identity issues to tailspin into 40k-style extremist bug crusaders setting the continent on fire, thus giving her the highest bodycount in the entire story.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Maybe it's just because I tend to be too hard on Erin, but I keep expecting her kind-hearted but hilariously ill-advised introduction of (poorly-explained) abrahamic religion to a race of weird bug monsters with identity issues to tailspin into 40k-style extremist bug crusaders setting the continent on fire, thus giving her the highest bodycount in the entire story.

from what little we've seen that's the Grand Queen's current ideology

e: also 'highest bodycount' is competing with rhir's literal forever war and terandria's one-thirty-year's-war-per-year bodycount

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 20, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah and the goblin war was what? Ten years ago and now they’re spinning up to another one?

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah, how did any civilization in InnWorld got to be, with all those bloodbaths going on. I get that it currently has been centuries in decline, but all of it has such deep system flaws that I cannot see how it ever worked.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

from what little we've seen that's the Grand Queen's current ideology

I thought she was less ideologically-motivated and more plain "It's logical to wipe out everything that isn't us" motivated, on account of how it's super-duper dangerous for them to have explicit faith or beliefs on account of their god being very, very much real and paying attention?

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Ward:

Oh hey Brian, whats up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Mother of Learning looks really close to ending now (although honestly it's seemed that way for like a year now :v:) Zorian is out! It's not clear who else made it out, if any. Poor Zorian-prime :(