Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rochallor posted:

And Thirteen losing hope when Art Malik teleported the racers away made no sense. He said near the beginning that the TARDIS was phasing in and out of existence, and that it only appeared at certain times. I don't know why Thirteen was supposed to be surprised when that happened.

Though I think her losing all hope felt a little rushed, I figure the intent was to show that - like her previous incarnations - it is her companions that help give her the drive and energy to keep going. Ilin did say the Ghost Monument appeared once every 1000 cycles so I figured she thought they'd missed it and would have to wait another 1000 for it, she does mention they'd be dead before even 1 was over. That was overtly pessimistic for the Doctor, but her obvious wonder at hearing these people she accidentally roped into this situation was good, and I loved how relieved and happy she was to be reunited with the TARDIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
That was about what I expected. It definitely had too many ideas not effectively knitted together. but Epzo and Angstrom were pretty interesting, and I thought their final resolution worked. The big issue I had was hearing a lot of the dialogue.
Also that the guests were better fleshed out than the companions. There were some good interactions that may pay off down the line, but this episode made me nervous for the first time about the number of companions.
The Doctor giving up was weird, and made me think whatever the evil cloth was hinting at had her rattled.

My impression of Chibnall's writing so far is someone who has a ton of cool ideas and only the vaguest idea how to put them together. Having said that, this episode is still better than any episode he wrote for the show prior except for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spatula City posted:

The big issue I had was hearing a lot of the dialogue.

I have to admit I turned on subtitles for the first 10-15 mins.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Love Jodie, and the episode looked stunning. For all the special effects though it had an unfinished feel, like when you see an early cut of a show or movie with the pacing being off. Rather than feeling like a grand adventure it was more just a series of things that happened.

It was also so expositionary, someone mentioned the radioplay analogy and I feel that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I couldn't figure out why this season wasn't clicking with me until someone mentioned that the script is like an audio play. Just constant exposition and talking about everything that is happening in front of them. It slows everything down. The Doctor talks like a Saturday morning special, it's all tell and no show. It's just boring. I really want to like this. But I don't.

So many moments of people describing stuff off-screen!

"Oh his face...its been all melted"
SHOW US THE FACE

"Wow look! Three suns!"
SHOW US THE SUNS

"Ohhhh a nice big door"
SHOW US THE DOOR FFS.

It's literally a gag from Stargate when a tv show doesnt have the cgi budget, and just has characters reacting "Look at that ship...its...indescribable"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Now that I think about it, this is really exactly what I expected from a Chibnall season.

The episodes he's written to date have never risen above 'serviceable', and that's how these last two episodes have been. Not awful, certainly not good or great. Just kinda there. No risk-taking (beyond the laudable casting of the Doctor, that is)

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It wasn't incredible, I found myself getting distracted occasionally and don't care for the new TARDIS much yet (in or out), and I bet the more I think about the plot the less coherent it would seem. I appreciate that the race was almost sideways to the Doctor's motivation, with the groups physically overlapping for a while and some typically-rushed character development but the racers exiting the story literally as soon as their part was done, and the Doctor having virtually no impact on the 'villain' at all. Not that it's particularly novel - half the point of the show is visiting new and strange places - but I like the small-scaleness of it so far with "stop one cheating bounty hunter" and "fairly competent daytrip to retrieve the TARDIS" versus saving the entire planet.

I also liked that they had Graham bring up the language issue in case any pedantic new fans were wondering, gave a different explanation for once, and then immediately reassured that the telepathic circuits were still a thing anyway.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
One of the few noteworthy things John Nathan Turner said was that it's really hard writing for three companions. Even in a serial format with 100+ minute stories, there's not enough time, dialogue, or stuff to divvy up between all four of the main cast. I was worried about this from the announcement and it'll probably be fine but I'm not convinced it won't be a problem sooner than later.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The survival suits + spaceship design reminded me of Dune

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

uvar posted:

It wasn't incredible, I found myself getting distracted occasionally and don't care for the new TARDIS much yet (in or out), and I bet the more I think about the plot the less coherent it would seem. I appreciate that the race was almost sideways to the Doctor's motivation, with the groups physically overlapping for a while and some typically-rushed character development but the racers exiting the story literally as soon as their part was done, and the Doctor having virtually no impact on the 'villain' at all. Not that it's particularly novel - half the point of the show is visiting new and strange places - but I like the small-scaleness of it so far with "stop one cheating bounty hunter" and "fairly competent daytrip to retrieve the TARDIS" versus saving the entire planet.

I also liked that they had Graham bring up the language issue in case any pedantic new fans were wondering, gave a different explanation for once, and then immediately reassured that the telepathic circuits were still a thing anyway.

That reminds me of my favourite Bill Potts moment when she figured out the Tardis was psychically translating for her - "Wait, am I speaking Latin right now?!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Barry Foster posted:

Now that I think about it, this is really exactly what I expected from a Chibnall season.

The episodes he's written to date have never risen above 'serviceable', and that's how these last two episodes have been. Not awful, certainly not good or great. Just kinda there. No risk-taking (beyond the laudable casting of the Doctor, that is)

Hard to say next week isn't some kind of risk taking though

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So far this feels like a Moffat season that popped a much-needed Valium. It’s much less bombastic, and while still a bit frenetic with the editing, it’s still much more lower key than what we’ve been used to. I like it.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I really like the new TARDIS design, actually. Feels like it's playing into the whole 'mad scientist' thing Jodie had going last week, with building her own sonic screwdriver. It seems very bare-bones, but in a way i find neat to look at. Like if you took all the plasticy bits off of 11's first TARDIS and just left all the metal underneath.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

CommonShore posted:

The survival suits + spaceship design reminded me of Dune

You might be on to something. Something about the shape and spindly legs got me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Barry Foster posted:

At least they're his two best episodes so far.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Though I think her losing all hope felt a little rushed, I figure the intent was to show that - like her previous incarnations - it is her companions that help give her the drive and energy to keep going. Ilin did say the Ghost Monument appeared once every 1000 cycles so I figured she thought they'd missed it and would have to wait another 1000 for it, she does mention they'd be dead before even 1 was over. That was overtly pessimistic for the Doctor, but her obvious wonder at hearing these people she accidentally roped into this situation was good, and I loved how relieved and happy she was to be reunited with the TARDIS.

I kind of like her being a little on the fragile side, and keeping up a brave front that sometimes slips. She's still the Doctor who went through everything that, oh, pick a recent incarnation, went through, plus she's still arguably recovering from her latest regeneration.

And yeah, her sheer joy at seeing the TARDIS safe and whole was just perfect.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
As a filthy casual, I've enjoyed these two EPs more than the deep cuts with the daleks or Cybermen where I have no idea what the history is.

I felt the attack linens were creepy enough to scare the kids so mission accomplished.

The robots looked cool with hoodies and Halo guns.

I liked that the doctor was the only one admitting that if the TARDIS didn't appear, literally right then, they would be dead within the day. It obviously will happen, but the formula must be obeyed.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm just gonna leave this one right here.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/kamelion-returns-to-doctor-who

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vaporware posted:

As a filthy casual, I've enjoyed these two EPs more than the deep cuts with the daleks or Cybermen where I have no idea what the history is.

At this point it's utterly irrelevant, they are just insert badguy/major threat for multiple episode arc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vaporware posted:

I felt the attack linens were creepy enough to scare the kids so mission accomplished.

The robots looked cool with hoodies and Halo guns.

I liked that the doctor was the only one admitting that if the TARDIS didn't appear, literally right then, they would be dead within the day. It obviously will happen, but the formula must be obeyed.

The secret :ssh: with the daleks and the cybermen is that the history is a white noise of self-contradictions and retcons such that the only applicable thing is "they scary; doctor beats them lots."

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

My main dig at the episode was that the Doctor didn't do anything to get the TARDIS back, it just showed up and wasn't integral to the plot whatsoever other than being the location of the end of the race. Just like the first episode this felt like a 2-parter that was cut down and they forgot to plug the holes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Cybermen are from Mondas except when they aren't

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Daleks at least have lost their menace due to being so overused. Moffat sidelining them is one of his unambiguously good decisions.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Whittaker is really good I think. Only two episodes so far but feels like a very new sort of take. Definitley a good one.

Was a bit underwhelmed with the reason why the planet was messed up just being scientists made lots of nasty monsters but that's just a little nitpick.

I hope Graham keeps calling her Doc.

And I like the new Tardis design. Wanted the Doc to say she didn't like it since that's the line but nope, this Doctor is positive and upbeat about things except when gloomy about evil towels and disappearing space ships.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Nodosaur posted:

The Daleks at least have lost their menace due to being so overused. Moffat sidelining them is one of his unambiguously good decisions.

Especially during the Capaldi era where usually they show up for 5 seconds and are pretty much immediately dunked on.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

McDragon posted:

Was a bit underwhelmed with the reason why the planet was messed up just being scientists made lots of nasty monsters but that's just a little nitpick.

I felt that at first but came around to it being just a little reveal to the season arc and we will learn more.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well it's the Space Nazi Hunter aliens from e1 came and made the scientists do all the bad stuff, so the desolation is a bit of a continuation from Dr. Strange's weird button and the celestial macaroon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought yesterday's episode was fine. Didn't have me tuning out while it was on or anything; there were some episodes in the last couple of Capaldi seasons where my attention waned, which wasn't the case for this one.

Of course, a rating of "Good enough" is usually good enough for me so I may not be a good judge.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

HD DAD posted:

Especially during the Capaldi era where usually they show up for 5 seconds and are pretty much immediately dunked on.

"The Magician's Apprentice" and its follow up were legitimately good uses, and I like "Into the Dalek", but limited character focus and character studies for stuff like Davros are definitely my preference rather than them turning out to be the big bad again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I don't want episodes predicated on promoting future good stories though, that's how you ruin a show. Foreshadowing is not a substitute for good writing!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also I had the subtitles on and I appreciate that the sound effect for the Tardis is indeed VWORP

York_M_Chan posted:

I felt that at first but came around to it being just a little reveal to the season arc and we will learn more.

Yeah, I think that's what it was going for. Just was a very abrupt answer to the mystery.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

York_M_Chan posted:

My main dig at the episode was that the Doctor didn't do anything to get the TARDIS back, it just showed up and wasn't integral to the plot whatsoever other than being the location of the end of the race. Just like the first episode this felt like a 2-parter that was cut down and they forgot to plug the holes.

She did the thing to get the TARDIS back last episode: she tracked its location and built a teleporter to get her there. She probably teleported in time as well to when it was about to appear. This episode was just dealing with the complications arising from that.

I enjoyed it overall, but my complaint is that she pointed out virulent people-eating microorganisms in the water and then spent like 20 minutes repeatedly wondering out loud where all the people went. Isn't that enough of a reason?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

McDragon posted:

Also I had the subtitles on and I appreciate that the sound effect for the Tardis is indeed VWORP

Yeah, I think that's what it was going for. Just was a very abrupt answer to the mystery.

It should have been either a bigger reveal or a smaller reveal. An Roanoke / Ozymandias style "they were great and they're gone," with only a few monuments and a "CROATOAN" would have been creepy and good.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Organza Quiz posted:

She did the thing to get the TARDIS back last episode: she tracked its location and built a teleporter to get her there. She probably teleported in time as well to when it was about to appear. This episode was just dealing with the complications arising from that.

I enjoyed it overall, but my complaint is that she pointed out virulent people-eating microorganisms in the water and then spent like 20 minutes repeatedly wondering out loud where all the people went. Isn't that enough of a reason?

SpooooOooOoOOoky bedsheets.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can sortof see the theme the episode was going for - the characters are thrown into a deliberately cruel situation where everything (even the water and random garbage!) is out to get them, and you have an alien who can't trust anyone due to the world being so cruel. Then they realise that they're all in the same boat and need to trust each other to get by.

I think the thing the episode really needed was a proper resolution for Epzo's arc - that would've made the ending more satisfying and brought the theme into focus. I can totally believe that the experience of being saved and working together on this planet changed him, but we don't really see that happen. Just a brief scene showing some emotional resonance between Epzo and Angstrom would've gone a long way.

I actually liked the part where The Doctor broke down though. To me it seemed like The Doctor was optimistic and practical as long as there was something she could do to help, but once she realized there was actually nothing else she could do the crushing realization that three people would die due to her mistake hit her. Ultimately she couldn't solve everything on her own, she needed the help of her oldest companion.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

She knew the TARDIS showed up once every 1000 rotations.

It wasn't there when she got there. Meaning, it'll be there in another 1000 rotations.

They only survived the spooby bed sheets because they had a combination of fire + gas in the swamps they were in.

How were they going to survive however many nights of spooby bed sheets it takes for the TARDIS to rematerialize? So I don't blame the Doctor for being a little bit forlorn.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked this episode a lot, and got the idea it was intended to be disorienting to reflect the new companions' state of mind. Though I thought it a bit funny they went out of their way to explain how they can talk and why the aliens look human, but forgot that 13 couldn't have left Pythagoras's shades in her new pockets since her old outfit's were empty last week.

AndyElusive posted:

She knew the TARDIS showed up once every 1000 rotations.

It wasn't there when she got there. Meaning, it'll be there in another 1000 rotations.

Yeah, this made sense to me. She thought she would have to be on the hostile planet for three years for her next shot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Even without the rampant weapon systems trying to kill them, it's 3 years without water that won't eat you or food of any variety

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tsk

Sexy's picked up her Doctor's bad habits, such as having the door push in to open instead of being pulled open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My one complaint about the episode is that no one fell into Chekhov's Flesheating Water

like you can't tell me the water eats human flesh and then not tip the fat annoying gently caress into it by the end of the episode