Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

NFL guys did that back when Conor first brought that out and it’s sick

honestly i'm kinda glad that it's made its way into sports canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7DmfgqVrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He said something like it was a moment of weakness and he thought he needed an extra edge. His mom probably beat the poo poo out of him.

just goes to show that all the PED and steroids in the world wont let you defeat your mom

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Snowman_McK posted:

I would like to see Max Holloway fight anyone. Dude has great fights.

Hell yeah, Max is great.

Looking back through his record at all the great fights he's had, I was kinda shocked he has a loss to Dennis Bermudez who is a name I barely recognize.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Max started in the ufc when was like 15

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yeah, Max is great.

Looking back through his record at all the great fights he's had, I was kinda shocked he has a loss to Dennis Bermudez who is a name I barely recognize.

I'd love to see Max/Conor II, but I agree with Snowman. I'd watch Holloway fight one of those clown balloon punching bag things that can't get knocked over.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yeah, Max is great.

The only bad fight he had was with Jeremy Stephens, and it's just a Jeremy Stephens fight. You know, where the other guy has to fight carefully so he doesn't get knocked out in a stupid but spectacular way.

He also actually lost to Leonard Garcia but got the nod, then went on to be one of the scariest guys in the division with almost no real holes in his game, which is some Robert Johnson crossroads deal with the devil type transformation.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Eat This Glob posted:

... I'd watch Holloway fight one of those clown balloon punching bag things that can't get knocked over.

That is a hell of a way to talk about Nate Diaz. Shameful.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

The only bad fight he had was with Jeremy Stephens, and it's just a Jeremy Stephens fight. You know, where the other guy has to fight carefully so he doesn't get knocked out in a stupid but spectacular way.

He also actually lost to Leonard Garcia but got the nod, then went on to be one of the scariest guys in the division with almost no real holes in his game, which is some Robert Johnson crossroads deal with the devil type transformation.

Instead of selling his soul he got a striking coach.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thats the Vince Mcmahon walk. gently caress off Mcgregor you unoriginal gently caress

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aldo is moving up to 155 and he's only 32. Give him one tune-up fight and throw him into the deep end of the pool imo, and he might get a fight against Khabib in the next two years.

Nik Lentz -> Michael Chiesa -> Conor/Kevin Lee -> Khabib

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DoctorGonzo posted:

Thats the Vince Mcmahon walk. gently caress off Mcgregor you unoriginal gently caress

Am I the only one who remembers 'moving like bernie' being a thing that got banned in college football in like 2010 and being 'the mcgregor strut'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME6n3TvTHfM

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

CommonShore posted:

Aldo is moving up to 155 and he's only 32. Give him one tune-up fight and throw him into the deep end of the pool imo, and he might get a fight against Khabib in the next two years.

Chiesa is moving to 170. There are a bunch of fun fights for Aldo at 155. I'd like to give him Barboza or Pettis to start off. Bigger wrasslers could come later.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I’d put ten on healthy Aldo starching Kabob.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Byolante posted:

Am I the only one who remembers 'moving like bernie' being a thing that got banned in college football in like 2010 and being 'the mcgregor strut'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME6n3TvTHfM

That's a different thing from McGregor's walk, it was based on the dance that the reanimated corpse of Bernie does toward buried treasure when it hears music in Weekend at Bernie's 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tam3WWL8aVU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

CommonShore posted:

32 seems pretty mature if not yet old to me for the average size guy divisions. I'm still interested to see him fight 155 guys even if he doesn't improve at all of course.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
32 brazil years remember

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

32 Brazil years is like 64 normal years. You double it right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Physical age in MMA doesn't mean a whole ton unless you're really young or really old (HW not included).

What matters is fight age, and Aldo has been fighting for a long loving time and he was utterly smashed by Max twice recently.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSj3VzKit6A

There's footage of Khabib after the brawl when he goes to back in this video from like 7 mins onwards.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I'd like to see Da Black Beast vs. Khabib

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mechafunkzilla posted:

All these 145-lb guys you're all mentioning would be pretty undersized against Khabib and get ragdolled

Max and Ortega are normal sized guys cutting a huge amount, max is like six foot. Either of those guys at 155 would be a good challenge for khabib. I'd give em 50/50 cos they are all at the top of their game. As mentioned upthread, Khabib always looks spectacular because his style leads him to snowballing victories.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Hot balls vs the Eagle of Dagestan - khabib by first ever in the UFC overheat-TKO grinding his hat against TBB balls.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

il serpente cosmico posted:

Elite level Dagestani wrestling vs. The Power Of Just Standing Up

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yeah, Max is great.

the fight with bermudez was really close, and bermudez at the time was on one hell of a streak and looked set to be the next big thing at featherweight. he's fallen down hard ever since i think it was ricardo lamas who broke that streak

also i don't think there's any need for so many probations, sometimes people just want to lol, nothing wrong with that

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Southpaugh posted:

Max and Ortega are normal sized guys cutting a huge amount, max is like six foot. Either of those guys at 155 would be a good challenge for khabib. I'd give em 50/50 cos they are all at the top of their game. As mentioned upthread, Khabib always looks spectacular because his style leads him to snowballing victories.

Hot balls vs the Eagle of Dagestan - khabib by first ever in the UFC overheat-TKO grinding his hat against TBB balls.

Seeing Khabib standing next to DC is surreal in that video. Khabib is gigantic.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSj3VzKit6A

There's footage of Khabib after the brawl when he goes to back in this video from like 7 mins onwards.

Cool video. Ali might have done 9/11, but he knows how to cater a party.
It was interesting to see Herb going over the rules in the back. I know they always do it but I’ve never seen it before.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Byolante posted:

It's kind of appalling that he makes 155, but MMA guys tend to be big dudes, I've seen mcgregor a few times and he's as broad as a door. (Artem looks like a living funkopop) You can be 5' 10" or5' 9" and go from beanpole skinny max at 145 or Mark Hunt. Cormiers only 5' 11" apparently? It's the meat that makes it I guess.

Artems fight Michael Johnson now??? RIP Artem.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Byolante posted:

DC is also tiny. I mean, he’s broad as a barn but he’s short. Guy is Anthony Pettis’ height and the HW king.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Southpaugh posted:

It's kind of appalling that he makes 155, but MMA guys tend to be big dudes, I've seen mcgregor a few times and he's as broad as a door. (Artem looks like a living funkopop) You can be 5' 10" or5' 9" and go from beanpole skinny max at 145 or Mark Hunt. Cormiers only 5' 11" apparently? It's the meat that makes it I guess.

Artems fight Michael Johnson now??? RIP Artem.

I really do want to see him KO'd for once.

It's amazing that a 13-14-1 fighter who is 2-4 in the UFC has yet to be cut. He should be naming all his children after Conor is my point.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 15, 2018

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Weird Tony vs Khabib would be a great fight in that we would get to watch Tony break physics as he tries to avoid takedowns, but he'll get turned into a blood covered jack-o-lantern by Khabib's ground and pound eventually.

Southpaugh posted:

Aren't most of the HWs relatively short? I figured at a certain point reach advantage loses out to packing on extra muscle fat. Hell, Mike Tyson was only like 5' 10" and he's widely considered one of the hardest punchers ever in boxing.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mekchu posted:

It's amazing that a 13-14-1 fighter who is 2-4 in the UFC has yet to be cut. He should be naming all his children after Conor is my point.

Trivia for those who don’t watch TUF: Artem lost his first fight on the show (I think the one to get in the house) but Conor straight up said he was only here for Artem, so they immediately brought him and another guy back (to have even teams). Even then he admitted he would have never had a crack at the UFC without conor, he’s fully on his jock.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
How long does the NSAC take to 'investigate' something like this (not that anything exactly like this has happened before)? Now that they moved to temporarily ban both Conor and Khabib how long can they really justify having paid Conor his purse but withholding Khabib's?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mekchu posted:

It would definitely be narratively satisfying. Artem might be too stupid-tough to get KO'd against Johnson, but I see him being real hittable and have difficulty closing on him.

Lotta blood, most of it Artems. It's a good fight though. I'm actually looking forward to it. Johnson by a late TKO (Artem gasses) or a decision.

3DHouseofBeef posted:

Weird Tony vs Khabib would be a great fight in that we would get to watch Tony break physics as he tries to avoid takedowns, but he'll get turned into a blood covered jack-o-lantern by Khabib's ground and pound eventually.

Aren't most of the HWs relatively short? I figured at a certain point reach advantage loses out to packing on extra muscle fat. Hell, Mike Tyson was only like 5' 10" and he's widely considered one of the hardest punchers ever in boxing.

Tony could catch Khabib from the bottom, either with elbows or a late, weird sub. Sick fight either way, a real "we the viewer are the winner" type fight.

I think the typical heavyweight is 6'+ with like struve as the extreme example of height/reach but Ngannou as the ideal physical specimen, reach, strength. His early unstoppability was down to an incredible physique imo. Like, if he didn't catch Overeem when he did I think he would have gotten pieced up, and as we saw against Stipe wilting. Just in over his head, technique-wise.

Hunt and DC are the only two that spring to mind who are under 6', but similar builds, and obviously DC is a younger (could have retired years ago) more skilled fighter. Would genuinely be interested to see DC - Jones at HW though. Jones would be up to his gills with juice to put on the weight I think.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Super Rad posted:

How long does the NSAC take to 'investigate' something like this (not that anything exactly like this has happened before)? Now that they moved to temporarily ban both Conor and Khabib how long can they really justify having paid Conor his purse but withholding Khabib's?

The hearing is set for oct 24th iirc

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is it true khabib threatened Conor's family

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Pretty sure it was the other way around

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I feel like Khabib is basically mini Cain Velasquez, complete with propensity for injury. And the way to beat him then is to be Junior Dos Santos on the right day (this was Conor's chance, and to a lesser extent Barboza's and Johnson's), or to be Werdum, a high level bottom player with enough cardio to keep up with Cain's output. This points to Tony and Ortega and Diaz as having the best shots, although Ortega's never gone 5 rounds in UFC so the limits of his cardio are hard to gauge, and I have a hard time believing the Diaz match wouldn't look mostly like Nick vs GSP but with smaller people.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is it true khabib threatened Conor's family

He already flying double stomped Conor's lovely son, Dillon Danis

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super Rad posted:

They have hearings later in October but they already said the incident won't be touched until their hearing in November. This would be where Khabib and Conor say sorry etc while they discuss the findings of the investigation.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Lucasar posted:

I feel like Khabib is basically mini Cain Velasquez, complete with propensity for injury. And the way to beat him then is to be Junior Dos Santos on the right day (this was Conor's chance, and to a lesser extent Barboza's and Johnson's), or to be Werdum, a high level bottom player with enough cardio to keep up with Cain's output. This points to Tony and Ortega and Diaz as having the best shots, although Ortega's never gone 5 rounds in UFC so the limits of his cardio are hard to gauge, and I have a hard time believing the Diaz match wouldn't look mostly like Nick vs GSP but with smaller people.

werdum beat cain up in the clinch a lot and i have no freaking clue how you'd do that to khabib. it's definitely part of what makes him so dangerous. you gotta stay far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I think Kabob's time is up when he runs into a really dynamic, Ugly Tony type of striker. Someone with the soul of Prime Andy Silva.

• Locked thread