Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Plan Z posted:

I do not have GIMP or Photoshop, and I don't know how to use them anyway.

Lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Well, asked boss man for a raise. He said no. My hard work goes un-recognized monetarily while I train intoxicated retards to do my job and they're getting the same pay as me. Tomorrow's my day off. This won't happen, but if I got a new job tomorrow, I could really gently caress this restaurant over by no-showing, no-calling on Tuesday. But I like the guys and don't want to do that to them. If I understand correctly, there are cooks here who've been loyal for 6 years and are still getting my pay level. They're immigrants, they have different pressures, so I understand. Still, I'm bummed to find out that instead of passively participating in loving me over, my boss is willing to actively do it. And I overheard that the disappearance of our newest dishwasher is due to the fact nearby restaurants are paying dishies $15. I could turn my brain off and go wash dishes for more money, but I think I'll see if they need good cooks, instead. The pay for cooks has to be better than for dishies, right? :witch:

What's the best item to steal from a sushi place?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Sigh. Unironically - All the other people being underpaid. The good staff.

Real answer: malicious, or just recipes/institutional knowledge you dont want to forget?

Alternatively, it sounds like you should have a follow up with your boss, and let them know you're not training anybody else/going the extra mile without revised pay.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 15, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Tuna. Steal all the tuna.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Animal-Mother posted:

Are there good knives that are the property of the restaurant and not one of chefs?

Otherwise booze or whatever you feel like eating for the next week that will keep that long.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
whatever's needed to sanitize the cutting surface.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Field Mousepad posted:

Tuna. Steal all the tuna.

Nah the unagi. Get that poo poo before it's extinct.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Discendo Vox posted:

whatever's needed to sanitize the cutting surface.

Bleach is hella cheap.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
One of my mates was telling me about this time he explosively quit his restaurant job. His boss was chewing him out and he got fed up, yelled “i loving quit” and threw the metal mixing bowl he was holding him behind him and into the air. It smashed into the fluoro lights which exploded and rained glass throughout the entire kitchen. So maybe you could try something like that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Schneider Inside Her posted:

One of my mates was telling me about this time he explosively quit his restaurant job. His boss was chewing him out and he got fed up, yelled “i loving quit” and threw the metal mixing bowl he was holding him behind him and into the air. It smashed into the fluoro lights which exploded and rained glass throughout the entire kitchen. So maybe you could try something like that.

That's a quick way to end service for the night. I worked with a dude who had a story about a coworker pulling the Ansul system on his way out the door. I sort of wanted to see what the aftermath of that was.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's hilarious. It was in my PC1+2 syllabus that tripping the ansul system was an automatic F. I've never seen one go off in person, it takes a lot of fire to use it. Also not sure that isn't a felony to do on purpose.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Your poo poo is definitely going to be pushed in if you trigger an ansul.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today, in funny coincidences: the founder of Ansul is Mr. Hood.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Yeah if you do anything where the Ansul goes off just leave and never go back.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Don’t steal items from work.

You are better then that.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

A Man and his Hog posted:

Now I’m curious how many over pours and free shots you hand out

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Skwirl posted:

Are there good knives that are the property of the restaurant and not one of chefs?

We asked the boss for some more knives because we were always short one. He brought one of those home knife sets in the wooden block, all dull as poo poo and apparently made of a magical metal that cannot be sharpened.

Where do our knives reside in our restaurant, you may wonder? On a magnetic board on the wall? In a special and safe designated space? Washed, dried, and placed into sleeves?

No. They are thrown in a drawer. We are a drawer knife place.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

A Man and his Hog posted:

Yeah, steal from the owner's house instead

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you aren't stealing from work you are stealing from your family

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Tunicate posted:

If you aren't stealing from work you are stealing from your family

This, and without irony.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Animal-Mother posted:

We asked the boss for some more knives because we were always short one. He brought one of those home knife sets in the wooden block, all dull as poo poo and apparently made of a magical metal that cannot be sharpened.

Where do our knives reside in our restaurant, you may wonder? On a magnetic board on the wall? In a special and safe designated space? Washed, dried, and placed into sleeves?

what the gently caress? putting up a magnetic strip takes 15 minutes tops and costs peanuts

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Can anyone recommend a good commercial grade microwave? We've gone through 3 or 4 lovely ones in the year that I've worked at my joint --- we just bought one two weeks ago because the last one had a door latch broke, and my KM tried to fix it with Gorilla Glue which is loving hilarious/horrifying because 1. P sure that poo poo ain't food safe, the gently caress was she even thinking? And 2. She didn't realize how much that stuff expands, so she ended up glueing the door shut. No joke. I was off that day, or I would've talked her out of this terrible idea.

So she goes out and replaces it with this piece of crap Oster from Sam's Club that died right before lunch today because those $50 bitches aren't meant to run as hard as we work them. Once we ruled out bad outlet/breaker trip (we have constant issues with that all over the kitchen, too), my GM said "maybe it just overheated, let it cool off". We gave the mike a 20 minute break, and she came back to life, so crisis averted --- for now.

But yeah I'm sick of that poo poo, and so's the GM, so if y'all can point me in the right direction (Cuisinart, what does your swank rear end place use?), I can make some suggestions straight to the GM/owner, and not get weeded on a truly busy day. Thank god this happened on a slow Monday.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I also have an equipment question. I have waffle makers running 10-12 hours a day every day, because we serve chicken and waffles. That's not going to change, unfortunately. We get the good Belgian style ones from Cuisinart, and they work great until they die, but that's just an inevitability that I'm not too worried about. In the meantime though, they're a pain in the rear end to clean after they're 2-3 weeks old and most of the nonstick has worn off of them. They still don't have waffles stick to them just fine (as long as we spray them before every waffle), but they end up with this black buildup that I assume is just charred on carbon from the pan spray/waffles. I'm using just a regular Sysco soy-based pan spray. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a different spray I should be using or a cleaning procedure that's easy? Right now I basically wait until they've cooled some and then use a soft plastic pick/scraper thing (that came with a panini press we used to use) to clean between the waffle pocket things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Then you should steal booze instead.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

What up, chicken and waffle buddy? That's part of my station on Sunday's. Our newest seasonal version features an onion bacon jam, it is the tiiiiiiiiits

We only run our waffle maker (also a Cuisinart) on brunch, so not nearly as much as you, but we use a butter...ish? liquid we get from Sysco and brush it on. Cleans up easy peasy, never had to pick crap out. Waffles lift right out.
A quick googling brought up a PDF of their "liquid butter alternatives", and nothing looked exactly like the bottles we have (could be an out of date page). I'll make a point of checking the exact name, if you think that's an option.

Edit: just looked again, the bottle's not the same, but I'm 99% sure it's "Grill-On" we're using.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 16, 2018

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flunky posted:

Yeah, steal from the owner's house instead

Cops too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWyFQSFLakg&hd=1

e - that Grill-On sounds like Phase, which is what we use at the hospital. It makes easy roux, at least.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
We use those clunky irons with conditioner in a pump spray that I never use. Any charred bits get scraped away with a plastic fork.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In my opinion at the wage you guys are on at least 20% of stock should leave with you at the end of the night

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

What up, chicken and waffle buddy? That's part of my station on Sunday's. Our newest seasonal version features an onion bacon jam, it is the tiiiiiiiiits

We only run our waffle maker (also a Cuisinart) on brunch, so not nearly as much as you, but we use a butter...ish? liquid we get from Sysco and brush it on. Cleans up easy peasy, never had to pick crap out. Waffles lift right out.
A quick googling brought up a PDF of their "liquid butter alternatives", and nothing looked exactly like the bottles we have (could be an out of date page). I'll make a point of checking the exact name, if you think that's an option.

Edit: just looked again, the bottle's not the same, but I'm 99% sure it's "Grill-On" we're using.

I'll check into Grill-On, thanks. Also, I have a caramelized onion bacon jam on my Chorizo Scotch Egg dish right now. Get out of my head.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Don't put pan spray on a Teflon waffle iron. Get some waffle-off, it's a water based lubricant/release agent.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I know none of you are responsible but I’m cringing that there are so many microwaves and liquid waffle release agents being used around the country.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Microwave is the best way to fry herbs tho

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And waffles will start to stick. Cleaning the waffle iron loving sucks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Microwave is the best way to fry herbs tho

And when you move 1000 biscuits a day, you melt a LOT of butter to grease the trays and brush on top of the biscuits. Microwaves have their usefulness, especially in a kitchen that only has a 2-eye range.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I know none of you are responsible but I’m cringing that there are so many microwaves and liquid waffle release agents being used around the country.

:same:

I mean, like a microwave is a great tool occasionally, but goddamn it shouldn’t be seeing that much use

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
For microwaves, probably the Sharp or Panasonic commercial models. I mean, if they're good enough for 7-11, they can probably handle a kitchen. As for waffle makers... Be careful with Waring, since the "pro" models aren't really suited for restaurant-scale baking. I'd check what the carnies are using, honestly.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Panasonic microwave, Heartland for waffle baker. You get the bakers and repair/maintenance/etc for "free" if you buy their waffle/pancake mix, which can be doctored up pretty easily. Waring Pro is my #2, but I really like being able to call my GFS rep and have the plates/machine replaced the next day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

what the gently caress? putting up a magnetic strip takes 15 minutes tops and costs peanuts

Those peanuts need to come out of the business' pocket, not the cooks.

Naelyan posted:

I also have an equipment question. I have waffle makers running 10-12 hours a day every day, because we serve chicken and waffles. That's not going to change, unfortunately. We get the good Belgian style ones from Cuisinart, and they work great until they die, but that's just an inevitability that I'm not too worried about. In the meantime though, they're a pain in the rear end to clean after they're 2-3 weeks old and most of the nonstick has worn off of them. They still don't have waffles stick to them just fine (as long as we spray them before every waffle), but they end up with this black buildup that I assume is just charred on carbon from the pan spray/waffles. I'm using just a regular Sysco soy-based pan spray. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a different spray I should be using or a cleaning procedure that's easy? Right now I basically wait until they've cooled some and then use a soft plastic pick/scraper thing (that came with a panini press we used to use) to clean between the waffle pocket things.

Please just shell out for a commercial waffle iron. It'll cost you as much as replacing two of those Cuisanarts and run for decades, with an added bonus of not stripping nonstick into the food. Vegelene's the stuff we used to use, looking it up it's the same as Waffle-off.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/carnival-king-wbs46-brussels-style-belgian-waffle-maker-with-timer-120v/382WBS46.html

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And when you move 1000 biscuits a day, you melt a LOT of butter to grease the trays and brush on top of the biscuits. Microwaves have their usefulness, especially in a kitchen that only has a 2-eye range.

Same, only when you need to melt an ounce of chocolate to pipe on something and gently caress cleaning a double boiler for that.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Is Heartland the same as Golden Malted? Or are they just marginally-different competitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

Is Heartland the same as Golden Malted? Or are they just marginally-different competitors?

Competitors, I think. Just depends on your region.