Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So the Exiles Complete Collection came out and I bought it. It was very, very good.

And it loving crushed me, specifically issue #16. Spoilers for anybody who is currently reading through it.

John Proudstar has died recently, and Nocturne, his lover and the mother of his unborn/miscarried child, spends the whole issue remembering how their relationship became romantic, how they resolved an issue they had relating to his insecurity about what he is, and the conception of their child.

I've mentioned before that my lover/future wife passed away very suddenly in an accident. I guess I was feeling vulnerable that night as well as missing her, because I had to put the book down. I cried. A lot. I calmed down and tried to go to sleep...woke up around 3 AM, and started crying again.

If you have a sweetie in your life, do me a favor and give them a tight hug and let them know that you love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I doubt even Edge & Christian can confidently answer how many Machetes there have been and how many times each one was replaced/returned to life.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/warnermedia-direct-to-consumer-streaming-service-john-stankey-1202975598/

:thunk:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Anxiously waiting for the notice that at&t will charge internet users more to use Netflix but won't add a surcharge for their own streaming service

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

site posted:

Anxiously waiting for the notice that at&t will charge internet users more to use Netflix but won't add a surcharge for their own streaming service

That and the $50 package for all of their streaming services.

Or I will cackle like a madman when DCUniverse is folded into the new Warner brothers streaming service and the comics are dropped.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

That and the $50 package for all of their streaming services.

Or I will cackle like a madman when DCUniverse is folded into the new Warner brothers streaming service and the comics are dropped.

Would anyone care if the comics were dropped? From my understanding the collection is so sparse that anyone interested in comics has probably read all the things they want to from it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

X-O posted:

Would anyone care if the comics were dropped? From my understanding the collection is so sparse that anyone interested in comics has probably read all the things they want to from it.

Probably not. It is funny to see them launching another service that may end up having the same shows.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

X-O posted:

That was why I originally signed up in the dumb hope it'd be the DC equivalent of Marvel Unlimited but clearly it's not as I've read much more stuff via Hoopla than what they have available.

However Titans (so far) is Not Good At All and me justifying a 2nd year of the subscription is tenuous if they don't have good shows AND anything more than like Batman: Year One on the comics side. Beyond that, t "Community" section where fans debate who would beat who in a fight endlessly, old Timmverse stuff I can watch elsewhere and their own Wikia is pretty weak.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sticksy posted:

Beyond that, t "Community" section where fans debate who would beat who in a fight endlessly

Oh did the buy the CBR or Comcvine forums?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

X-O posted:

Oh did the buy the CBR or Comcvine forums?

Don't forget how CBR makes sure that like, 99% of users seem to have who would be on their ideal X-men squads (with like, 15 characters on each one).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

sticksy posted:

Beyond that, t "Community" section where fans debate who would beat who in a fight endlessly, old Timmverse stuff I can watch elsewhere and their own Wikia is pretty weak.

You forgot half the posts of people begging Time Warner to charge them more.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

You forgot half the posts of people begging Time Warner to charge them more.

What?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Don't forget how CBR makes sure that like, 99% of users seem to have who would be on their ideal which female X-men squads (with like, 15 characters on each one) they most want to gently caress.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Well, yeah. That too.

This might surprise everyone, but they haven't been able to gently caress them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Surely that just means they're not trying hard enough.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

Surely that just means they're not trying hard enough.

I dunno, I think being tryhards is probably something they're pretty good at.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

So the Exiles Complete Collection came out and I bought it. It was very, very good.

And it loving crushed me, specifically issue #16. Spoilers for anybody who is currently reading through it.

John Proudstar has died recently, and Nocturne, his lover and the mother of his unborn/miscarried child, spends the whole issue remembering how their relationship became romantic, how they resolved an issue they had relating to his insecurity about what he is, and the conception of their child.

I've mentioned before that my lover/future wife passed away very suddenly in an accident. I guess I was feeling vulnerable that night as well as missing her, because I had to put the book down. I cried. A lot. I calmed down and tried to go to sleep...woke up around 3 AM, and started crying again.

If you have a sweetie in your life, do me a favor and give them a tight hug and let them know that you love them.

I hope that was a good, cathartic cry. I feel for you.

I am loving done with the streaming services, this is why I dumped cable for dvds and then Netflix. I'll just go back to pirating this poo poo and then buying the physical media of shows I like.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

There are a number of threads and posts in the DC community area of people asking for higher tiers to get access to more comics or the TV shows and movies that are not available.

One guy was furious that people could buy comics through the service without a subscription.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I dunno, I think being tryhards is probably something they're pretty good at.

listen if Paul Dini could do it, anyone can

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

There are a number of threads and posts in the DC community area of people asking for higher tiers to get access to more comics or the TV shows and movies that are not available.

One guy was furious that people could buy comics through the service without a subscription.

OK, that makes a bit more sense I guess. I thought you meant they wanted to pay more money for what they were getting now. That didn't make any sense at all, but neither does this streaming service in general.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, yeah. That too.

This might surprise everyone, but they haven't been able to gently caress them.

My recollection of the CBR message boards from the very brief period when I posted there:

1. Most of the Marvel threads and the X-Men threads in particular were about which characters people thought were hottest;

2. Most of the DC threads were unimaginably defensive about the then-new New 52; and

3. Most of the Image threads were masturbating about how much more mature Invincible was than any Marvel or DC superhero and how Marvel had been poo poo since Robert Kirkman stopped writing for them.

This might be a bit of a generalisation.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

X-O posted:

OK, that makes a bit more sense I guess. I thought you meant they wanted to pay more money for what they were getting now. That didn't make any sense at all, but neither does this streaming service in general.

There are a couple posts saying that too. It really is a psychotic place.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

There are a couple posts saying that too. It really is a psychotic place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzS8yW8INA

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alaois posted:

listen if Paul Dini could do it, anyone can

She doesn’t look like Zatanna anymore, but his wife is super nice. Hoping to see them again around Thanksgiving.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

She doesn’t look like Zatanna anymore, but his wife is super nice. Hoping to see them again around Thanksgiving.

She probably looks like Zatanna if comic book characters were allowed to age.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We put an actual for real offer on a beautiful house today but it was just past business hours so they have til 6pm today to respond and I am going bonkers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

We put an actual for real offer on a beautiful house today but it was just past business hours so they have til 6pm today to respond and I am going bonkers.

House party....at Rhyno's?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe! It totally has a Batcave.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

I am admittedly a crazy and stupid person but I would possibly be interested in this, too?

I alluded earlier to the current DCU offering being lackluster across the board, my naive hope has that it would be somewhat akin to Marvel Unlimited - and maybe it might in the future! And I realize that the scope of DCU is pretty different from that ie MCU is a service offering 15-20,000 digital issues + most recent titles from 6 months ago for $99/year.

I signed up because I wanted the comics but DCU's available comics, today at least, are meager at best imo. I don't know if with their model, they think they'll lose more money from digital sales than they would with an Unlimited-esque subscription or they want to establish different media formats like TV shows and be their own little Netflix or since Netflix has broken every media conglomerates brains and they're all determined to "pivot" to this. It'd be interesting to see what the cost breakdown of the subscription is today like how much shows like Titans comprise of the $75, sure to be $100 in a year or two, 25% for digital comics rights, 25% for DCAU stuff, 25% for old movies and show rights etc .

I don't see them having an subscription option that's really focused comprehensively (or exclusively) on the comic side - it feels like the traditional cable TV model where you don't actually pay for just what you want, you get a bundle that has what you really want plus stuff you probably don't but paying for regardless. If they did offer that separately or say added a tier that provided that, even if it was somewhat more expensive a ie equivalent to Unlimited + $20 for access to the other stuff = $120/year (even though I don't like or want the non-comics content and disagreed with their pricing model, from a business POV I realize there is value to that they would expect to charge.)

I'm rambling but all of this is a lot of :mordin: to say even though I think their strategy and model is lovely, I could still be open to paying a premium if need be so I got what I really wanted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't have pm's so I can't tell XO directly, and I don't want to screw up the new thread, but yelling "gently caress off Nazi" is a proven tactic to get Nazis to gently caress off.

https://twitter.com/splinter_news/status/1051975490314166272

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

sticksy posted:

I am admittedly a crazy and stupid person but I would possibly be interested in this, too?

I alluded earlier to the current DCU offering being lackluster across the board, my naive hope has that it would be somewhat akin to Marvel Unlimited - and maybe it might in the future! And I realize that the scope of DCU is pretty different from that ie MCU is a service offering 15-20,000 digital issues + most recent titles from 6 months ago for $99/year.

I signed up because I wanted the comics but DCU's available comics, today at least, are meager at best imo. I don't know if with their model, they think they'll lose more money from digital sales than they would with an Unlimited-esque subscription or they want to establish different media formats like TV shows and be their own little Netflix or since Netflix has broken every media conglomerates brains and they're all determined to "pivot" to this. It'd be interesting to see what the cost breakdown of the subscription is today like how much shows like Titans comprise of the $75, sure to be $100 in a year or two, 25% for digital comics rights, 25% for DCAU stuff, 25% for old movies and show rights etc .

I don't see them having an subscription option that's really focused comprehensively (or exclusively) on the comic side - it feels like the traditional cable TV model where you don't actually pay for just what you want, you get a bundle that has what you really want plus stuff you probably don't but paying for regardless. If they did offer that separately or say added a tier that provided that, even if it was somewhat more expensive a ie equivalent to Unlimited + $20 for access to the other stuff = $120/year (even though I don't like or want the non-comics content and disagreed with their pricing model, from a business POV I realize there is value to that they would expect to charge.)

I'm rambling but all of this is a lot of :mordin: to say even though I think their strategy and model is lovely, I could still be open to paying a premium if need be so I got what I really wanted.

:randstare:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish Marvel would announce they're reprinting Fall of the Mutants as a proper omnibus (as they are with Mutant Massacre) because it would go a long way towards helping me to decide whether I want to swap out and replace my paperbacks. :v:

As it is I am sorely tempted by that Waid/Wieringo FF omnibus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I don't have pm's so I can't tell XO directly, and I don't want to screw up the new thread, but yelling "gently caress off Nazi" is a proven tactic to get Nazis to gently caress off.

https://twitter.com/splinter_news/status/1051975490314166272

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs_Q4hEqmA

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1051959437999501312

lol

Wheat Loaf posted:

I really wish Marvel would announce they're reprinting Fall of the Mutants as a proper omnibus (as they are with Mutant Massacre) because it would go a long way towards helping me to decide whether I want to swap out and replace my paperbacks. :v:

Honest question: I bought a few Marvel omnibii because I liked the idea of having all these wonderful comics collected in a sturdy, single volume (hardbacks feel permanent, and there's a nice feeling to knowing "now I have everything I need of [x] forever"), but I find myself realizing that their sheer size make them nearly impossible to comfortably and enjoyably read. How do you do it? I don't necessarily object to having Simonson's Thor on a specially-purchased book pedestal the way some homes have an heirloom Bible, but I'm not gonna stand there for two hours to read it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I usually set them flat on my desk which is probably really bad for the spine, but it works for me. I guess it depends on the omnibus, though. Some of them are small enough you can just read them like any normal book.

I hear about some omnibuses just falling apart by sheer force of gravity even when they're sitting on your bookshelf, but honestly the larger books I own which seem to have been most susceptible to natural wear like that have been the Usagi Yojimbo Saga phonebooks from Dark Horse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They accepted our offer! Rhyno gonna own a house!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Pastry of the Year posted:

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1051959437999501312

lol

Honest question: I bought a few Marvel omnibii because I liked the idea of having all these wonderful comics collected in a sturdy, single volume (hardbacks feel permanent, and there's a nice feeling to knowing "now I have everything I need of [x] forever"), but I find myself realizing that their sheer size make them nearly impossible to comfortably and enjoyably read. How do you do it? I don't necessarily object to having Simonson's Thor on a specially-purchased book pedestal the way some homes have an heirloom Bible, but I'm not gonna stand there for two hours to read it.

I read them at the kitchen table usually while eating breakfast. I'm working through the Shield omnibus I got for fifty bucks and enjoying it immensely! I just got to where Steranko takes over, and I really enjoyed the Kirby layouts before, so it's been a really fun read.

A plus is the individual issues have all been half length since they were one half of Strange Tales, which makes finishing an issue over breakfast somewhat doable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

They accepted our offer! Rhyno gonna own a house!

Hell yes Rhyno! Congrats! Owning a house is a huge deal in this economy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Hell yes Rhyno! Congrats! Owning a house is a huge deal in this economy.

Thanks and I agree! Our income literally doubled since last year and we made the decision to do this fairly quickly. We've looked at 20+ homes and another 10 went on the market and sold before we could see them. We stumbled on this place and it's just perfect for us.

And it really does have a Batcave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

I read them at the kitchen table usually while eating breakfast. I'm working through the Shield omnibus I got for fifty bucks and enjoying it immensely! I just got to where Steranko takes over, and I really enjoyed the Kirby layouts before, so it's been a really fun read.

A plus is the individual issues have all been half length since they were one half of Strange Tales, which makes finishing an issue over breakfast somewhat doable.

Steranko is soooooo good. Just mind the racist villain. It’s unfortunate such a good run had Yellow Claw as an antagonist.

I love his one shots after he gets his own title too.

Seriously the best run in the 60s. Better than anything Kirby did imo. It’s really too bad Steranko couldn’t stick to comics.

• Locked thread