Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
:skeltal:The List:skeltal:
1. Welcome to Willits (Fran Challenge 1: Love Something You Hate)
2. Multiple Maniacs (Fran Challenge 2: Queer Horror)
3. The Phantom of the Opera 1925 Featuring commentary by Andrew Lloyd Webber (as portrayed by Paul F. Tompkins)
4. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (Fran Challenge: Hometown Horror)
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004) (Fran Challenge: Best of the Worst)
6. Creep 2
7. I am the Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
8. Silent Hill
9. The Undertaker and his Pals
10. Re-Animator
11. Hell House LLC

So, this film starts out amazingly strong. There's that vibe of just entering a quality makeshift Haunted House. You're anxious, totally uncertain about what's going on around the next corner, where that scream is coming from, if that prop is just a prop or if it's going to animate the moment you walk on by, etc. A building fear that grows and grows until overflowing, and explodes in harmless release over and over again. You feel it radiating off the film in it's prelude presenting a 'Youtube Upload' of the tragedy. Then all of the sudden people are yelling to turn back with urgency and panic, moments away from starting a stampede. Not only are they scared, but something inexplicable has made them afraid they are going to die. This is a very different scare, a much more existential fear of true danger. A kind that affects you deeply, and stays with you like a scar. It's a brilliant transition, one that makes the whole film.

We commonly use the criticism "It's a short film stretched across 90 minutes". And in a lot of cases it's justified, a heinous death knell of a bad movies. And to a certain extent, I think that statement is true of this film. Likely, if uploaded it's climax online, explained that it was a patchwork of sources, reconstructing the timeline of a tragedy, it would work just as well. However, I think this works inspite of that. Partially it's helped by it's faux-documentary presentation, a format that naturally is building towards a hypothesis and resolution to it's evidence. The lead up to the climax is perfectly entertaining in it's own right, especially with some pretty decent scares along the way. Though the only benefit it gives is some explanation of some scares in the climax, though most of the events remains inexplicable

What this film is ends up being is an experiment of sorts. A kind of test bed of a number of scary scenarios, playing around in the reality of what those scenarios mean. But even then, the plot isn't 100% rational, forcing the plot to progress to sometimes unnatural points to allow further scares to happen. Choices aren't really made to link a thematic point, or to depart a message on the audience. It is above all else, nakedly and shamelessly, a haunted house ride. One more blatant that The Conjuring films, and certainly less self conscious about that fact. It's only goal is to spook the audience, and considering it's subject matter it works exceptionally well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ramadu posted:

but did you see

THE LOST ENDING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLpsWaUDNk

its even more insane!

drat that owns

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, had to take a week off because my mom was in town and didn't want to watch any spooky movies. So obviously I come back strong with...

5. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1980)
watched via YouTube

This loose retelling of the Ichabod Crane story was an NBC TV movie event for Halloween of 1980 starring Jeff Goldblum. And it's bad. The story never knows whether it wants to be a (boring) drama, a (forced) romance, or a (laughable) thriller.

The whole thing completely lacks momentum, atmosphere, or compelling drama. It's disjointed, it's boring, and it's occasionally nonsensical. The main story centers around two single gals and two single guys who just want to get hitched. Ichabod and Katrina fall in love at first sight and barely share a word together before he decides to propose. Thelma wants Bronn, Bronn wants Katrina, Katrina wants Ichabod, Ichabod wants Katrina, and the fathers of the girls each want them to marry the other man. It's a real Much Ado About Nothing ripoff that isn't pulled off at all.

The biggest letdown here is the Headless Horseman himself. He's a local legend that goes largely unexplained except as a Hessian and a ghost. No motivation is given for his actions, no interesting mythology surrounding him, and he's mostly talked about by schoolchildren. When he does show up (after a series of fakeouts of coats on brooms, dressforms with cloaks, etc.), it's a long shot in a nearly pitch-dark night. Even if the thing were in HD I doubt I'd be able to see any significant detail. In one scene he has a pumpkin, but I'm not sure why. I don't think a single other pumpkin shows up in the story, and he doesn't do anything with it.

But, as if from a Scooby-Doo episode, Bronn and his goofy friend were pretending to be The Headless Horseman all along, driving all the new schoolteachers away from town so Bronn could court Katrina. One of them was chased off a cliff by the Headless Horseman and died, but came back to haunt Ichabod! Or, to dodder around town not doing much of anything at all, actually having been alive the whole time and just existing to give some ambiguity to the supernatural elements.

The whole things ends with a lame "or maybe the Headless Horseman IS real :o:" that doesn't make much sense and isn't set up by the story at all. By that point we don't care, because we haven't spent any time with the real Horseman and don't know what his deal is outside of being a Hessian ghost who died in Yonkers. Is he even a threat at all? What does he want? Why is he there? We'll never know, or care.

But it does have one shining star, and that is, you guessed it: baby Jeff Goldblum putting in a great performance. Ichabod is a lanky, clumsy, goofy charmer and Goldblum nails it. All of his characteristic eccentricities are on early display here, albeit toned down a touch. He never quite gets enough to do or really has much agency at all in the story, but boy is that guy likable and the ideal Ichabod Crane. This movie would've been forgotten immediately had he not been cast, but I very well may revisit it again just because he's so goddamn charming in this terrible movie.

With all this being said, however, I couldn't recommend it enough. I had a blast watching it, in part for Goldblum's performance, but mainly because the version on YouTube I watched had the original broadcast commercials still in it. It's a hoot-and-a-half watching the mix of cheesy 1980s commercials and Halloween-specific spots. There's Vincent Price selling you a scary board game, there's foggy TV station promos with jack-o-lanterns, there's Duracell commercials with trick-or-treaters, there's Halloween safety PSAs with cops and Ronald McDonald. It really is the ideal way to watch any scary movie, in my opinion. But then again I'm a guy who collects horror films that are recorded off TV just for this very purpose... So I guess I was in the bag to begin with.

Plus the whole thing has a wraparound narrative of the Diff'rent Strokes cast watching the TV movie and commenting on it.

:downs: : "Here we are. Well, how did you like it, Gary?"
:v: "Well, I knew the ending because I read the short story. I read mostly short stories. On account of my height."
:downs: :"Makes sense."

Does it, old man from a show I've never watched? Does it really?

Grade (movie): C+
Grade (experience): A-

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 16, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

144- The Boogens 1981 - YOUTUBE

Here's another movie adaptation of a book, but with this one, it's hit with what was possible for special effects at the time.

Storyline's a comfortable standard of a mining company's trying to reopen a mine that's been closed for a hundred years due to cave ins. In the course of reopening the mine, what caused those cave ins gets loose.

Overall, pretty faithful to the book. Only disappointment I had was the boogens themselves since the book describes them as these amorphous blobby things that ooze around and we get some semi-crab/squid looking things that are kinda cute in their own way in the movie. This is one I'd like to see remade with modern effects and a better budget.

145- The Funhouse 1981 - VUDU

This is another one where if they went a bit closer to the book would've made a better movie than what's a pretty standard slasher. The book goes into a lot of backstory that really would've improved things.

As it is, this is a middle of the road entry to the genre. It's not particularly standout but it's not awful either.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
27. Frankenstein Conquers the World (1965) aka Frankenstein vs. Baragon, on Archive.org

Kind of weird how much emphasis is put on the monster's heart in this one, when in most of excepted film lore it's Frankenstein's brain that really matters. I guess it's the Toho influence, since they make such a big deal about Godzilla's heart in a bunch of movies? I loved the ending 15 minutes, after which Frankenstein screams in triumph (celebrating his sick wrestling moves no doubt) and sinks into the earth for some reason. It's like the writer thought "well normally we have these monsters return to the sea, but this is just a big man basically so... return, to the... land?" The movie drags a bit here and there but the plot is so silly it carries you through.

3/5

28. The War of the Gargantuas (1966) aka Frankenstein's Monsters: Sanda vs. Gaira, on Archive.org

This is a sequel to the previous movie, but the version I saw has all the references to Frankenstein removed. I probably would have preferred seeing it restored in the "international cut" but honestly that would have dubbed over Russ Tamblyn's lines and I actually kind of like him as an actor. Notably, I worry I would have missed that weirdly sarcastic "I dunno maybe he fell in love with a whale or sumpthin" line he says to his assistant for no reason. This is a marked improvement over the previous movie and moves at a decent clip. Lot's of funny and fun poo poo in here.

4/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare | 24. Trick or Treats | 25. Dead and Buried | 26. Digging up the Marrow | 27. Frankenstein Conquers the World | 28. The War of the Gargantuas |

Fran Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm posting this one a little early so as to give everyone some time to figure it out.

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #9: Stranger Danger

:ghost: Ask an offline/non-Goon* friend/family member/person to recommend you a horror movie to watch.

*If your only social interactions are with goons, then you can ask a goon who is not participating in the challenge. Also, I'm sorry. Please do not take advantage of this if you have offline friends/family/co-workers/roommates, even if they recommend you something dumb.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

145- The Funhouse 1981 - VUDU

This is another one where if they went a bit closer to the book would've made a better movie than what's a pretty standard slasher. The book goes into a lot of backstory that really would've improved things.

This the one by Dean Koontz? Because that was a novelisation of the movie and he added all that backstory.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

This the one by Dean Koontz? Because that was a novelisation of the movie and he added all that backstory.

Yeah. I remember the book coming out before the movie, but from what I've heard since it's a bit fuzzy as to what was written first, the movie or the script.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yeah. I remember the book coming out before the movie, but from what I've heard since it's a bit fuzzy as to what was written first, the movie or the script.

No fuzziness about it. In his forward to the UK edition Koontz says that he was hired to write the novelisation but had to add all the extra stuff because there was not enough in the movie to fill a novel. Nightmare on Elm Street had the same problem, but they got round it by making a single novel out of the first three films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Slither(2006)

If I remember correctly, this one didn't go over so well when Lurdiak played it for the Scream Stream a few years ago. And I can understand why, there is some "humor" that probably didn't belong there in 2006 but twelve years later it makes me cringe even more. That said, I just enjoy the creature effects too much to drop the movie entirely. They're so effectively gross, but also really varied, and you get a really nice showcase of all kinds of various weird effects. And the movie is a hard R, very gory and has no problem going places other creature features don't want to go. So I think it's easy to see why in 2006 it felt very fresh.

Rarely seen set photo of Michael Rooker, he's such a method actor that he refused to leave his meat locker for over a week:

just kidding

Freddy vs. Jason(2003)

This was a fun place to wrap up my time in the 2000s, it's a love letter to two iconic horror villains directed by a guy who had never seen a single film in either franchise when he got the job. It was a bold choice, but in my opinion it worked out because Yu was more tapped into what audiences were looking for in 2003 than somebody off the Friday or Nightmare 80's trash heap.

Rewatching this after several years, one criticism I have is that Jason is just too lethargic and zombie-like. I'm not a Hodder fanboy, but he did at least infuse some purpose into Jason's movements that are just missing here. But Englund more than makes up for it, he was still at the top of his game and I enjoy how the movie starts from his perspective and he actually does the whole voiceover narration to establish the plot. Another weird choice, it's not something I'd expect to see but I guess when you have Englund as Freddy one last time you want to make him as central to everything as you possibly can.

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967) 21. Don't Look Now(1973)22. Dracula A.D. 1972 23. Phantom of the Paradise(1974) 24. The Wicker Man(1973) 25. Nosferatu The Vampyre(1979) 26. The Fog(1980) 27. An American Werewolf in London(1981) 28. Prince of Darkness(1987) 29. A Nightmare on Elm Street(1984) 30. C.H.U.D.(1984) 31. Candyman(1992) 32. Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh(1995) 33. Mimic(1997) 34. Scream(1996) 35. Audition(1999) 36. Cursed(2005) 37. Saw(2004) 38. Drag Me To Hell(2009) 39. Slither(2006) 40. Freddy vs. Jason(2003)

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 16, 2018

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Friends Are Evil posted:

If you're willing to put up with some deep flaws, this is worth a watch.

giallo.txt

I love the genre, but with the exception of a handful (e.g. Blood and Black Lace, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), I haven't seen one that didn't have some major flaws

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #7: The World Is A Scary Place

A film from Argentina:

27. Terrified (2017, Demián Rugna) Source: Shudder

It's really just a series of horror setpieces without much character of story development. The first half is oddly structured, feeling almost like an anthology film. But the second half gels together better. I don't think I've ever said the words "good jump scares" before, but this movie has some good jump scares. It's also got some fairly original ideas, like the idea of corpses coming back to live but then not doing much, just kinda sitting there creepily. It relies a little too much on less than great CGI, but it does throw some decent practical effects into the mix.

There's nothing groundbreaking about this. In fact I can't think of much more to say about it. It's fun but forgettable.

(3 small muddy footprints out of 5)

Total: 27
Watched: The Blob (4.5) | Mandy (5) | The Hands of Orloc (4) | Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (4.5) | Fright Night (3) | Black Magic Part II (4) | Body Melt (3.5) | Suspiria (5) | The Old Dark House (4.5) | The Nude Vampire (3.5) | The Thing From Another World (3) | Phantasm (4) | Basket Case 2 (3) | Murders in the Rue Morgue (2) | The Tenant (5) | The Howling (3) | Calvaire (3.5) | Hereditary (5) | Nothing Left to Fear (1) | The Black Cat (4) | The Killing of a Sacred Deer (4.5) | The Hills Have Eyes Part II (0.5) | Cannibal Holocaust (3) | Apostle (2) | Christine (3.5) | Winterbeast (4) | Terrified (3)
Fran Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Countries: USA (17) | Italy (3) | France (2) | Argentina (1) | Hong Kong (1) | Germany (1) | Belgium (1) | Australia (1)
Decades: 1920s (1) | 1930s (3) | 1950s (1) | 1970s (6) | 1980s (6) | 1990s (3) | 2000s (1) | 2010s (6)

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

I think the TCM remake was a surprisingly solid movie, but this is such a nothing film. Where the remake captured the griminess and gross feeling from the original film, this one has no personality at all.

The characters are barely there, Leatherface feels barely involved and non-threatening, the kills don't work, the whole thing feels lazy and slapped together.

1/5

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

No fuzziness about it. In his forward to the UK edition Koontz says that he was hired to write the novelisation but had to add all the extra stuff because there was not enough in the movie to fill a novel. Nightmare on Elm Street had the same problem, but they got round it by making a single novel out of the first three films.

Ah, okay. My copy's a beat to hell US edition and reading around it seemed iffy as to what was finished first. Now that makes me want to see a movie adaptation of the book all the more.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Trilogy of Terror came in on Blu-ray! :moonrio:

After I had aleeady watched something else.

28. Son of Frankenstein (1939) - Blu-ray

An absolute gas. I've only counted the first of this series as a rewatch. I was my childrens' age the last time I actually watched any others from start to finish rather than catching bits and pieces since. It's a shame on the one hand but fun rediscovery as if watching for the first time on the other. That my kids can discover them for the first time makes it that much better.

I only remembered the rather lame framework for this one in particular. The bits built upon it from the amazing and so casually odd inspector to the raving Wolf to the village unable to rehang a not-quite-dead pest are what made it. While it is easy to see where this film was the primary base for Young Frankenstein, I am nonetheless very happy that he so correctly chose. Looking forward to finishing this set and rewatching Brooks' crowning achievement with kiddos fully able to appreciate the details and myself freshly so.

Daughter requested this one and they got up extra early to watch it before heading out, this morning. :3:

Need to pick up the Universal sets of Invisible Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon for next year's horror binge.

Tally: N/A Psycho (1960)*, 1. Halloween (1978), 2. Halloween II (1981), 3. Carnival of Souls (1962), 4. The Blob (1988), 5. I Bury the Living (1958), 6. Dead Men Walk (1943), 7. Nosferatu (1922), 8. Les Revenants (2002), 9. The Mummy's Hand (1940), 10. House on Haunted Hill (1959)*, 11. Lifeforce (1985), 12. The Gorilla (1939), 13. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960), 14. November (2017), 15. Doghouse (2009), 16 Sssssss (1973), 17. Maniac (1934), 18. Thirst (2009), 19. Horror Hotel (1960), 20. Event Horizon (1997)*, 21. In the Mouth of Madness (1994), 22. Frankenstein (1931)*, 23. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (1967), 24. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), 25. The Funhouse (1981), 26. Beetlejuice (1988), 27. Fright Night (1985), Son of Frankenstein (1939)

Years Spanned: 95 (1922-2017)

Tally by Decade: '20s (I), '30s (V), '40s (II), '50s (II), '60s (V), '70s (II), '80s (VI), '90s (II), 2000s (III), 2010s (I)

B&W/Color: 14/15

Rewatch/Total Counted: 3/28

Fran Challenges Complete: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

* Rewatch

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

#28. The Creature Walks Among Us (DVD) - :ghost:/5

The Creature from the Black Lagoon, still stranded in Florida waters from the last movie, is captured by scientists and taken in for study. However, he's badly burned in the process, and nearly dies. One mad scientist in the group goes forward with his plan to turn the Gillman into a land-dweller, with lungs and no scales. Eventually the Creature gets loose, and goes on a short rampage before returning to the sea.

Boring and talkative, this movie is more interested in trying to explain its pointless science gibberish than having some simple "fish man attacking people" fun. The Creature was always a kind of ersatz Wolf Man in these films, but here it gets a Frankenstein element added too, with his doofy oversized clothes and weird burn victim skin design in the back half. It loses everything that was so interesting about the original design, in order to tell a dopey sci-fi story about how a lungfish can be treated like a person.

I didn't like any of the human characters, but I could appreciate the attempt to give the crazy bad guy scientist (who wanted so badly to turn the Gillman into a human even from the outset) some depth by making him an emotionally abusive cuckold. The only interesting character here is the Creature, who is rendered basically unrecognizable in the last act. They also never give the Creature much chance to go on a rampage, so there's basically no pay-off for all of the talking scenes. A disappointing end to the character.

Watched so far: Cat People, Halloween 5, Mom and Dad, Hell House LLC, A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Beetlejuice, The Horror of Party Beach, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Return of the Living Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, Murder Party, Anaconda, Dracula (1931), The Ritual, Blade II, The Beyond, Sleepaway Camp, Lord of Illusions, The Mummy's Ghost, Children of the Corn II, The Mummy's Curse, The Prophecy, Child's Play 2, Halloween II (1981), Hotel Transylvania, Psycho (1960), Halloween III, The Creature Walks Among Us

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jason Lives Friday the 13th Part 6

I got some questions

Why does Jason have a grave? He had no family and no money and certainly didn't have a will specifying how his remains were to be dealt with. So the disposal of his remains would've been handled by the city or county, depending on the specific of where he died, etc. So cremated or not he would've been interred in a pauper's grave. There wouldn't have been a single specific grave for Jason Voorhes, and there certainly wouldn't have been a full size headstone engraved with his name. Who the heck paid for that?

Was the town always called Crystal Lake? I don't remember the town ever having a specific name, the lake was Crystal lake and the town was just the town near Crystal Lake.

Even if it was called Crystal Lake, changing the name of the town wouldn't change the name of the lake. A town or city is a legal entity, it can change it's name whenever it likes. But the name of a physical landmark like a lake is determined by a government organization, I think the US Geological Survey. They would've had to petition to change the name of Crystal Lake. So what's the deal there?

Who built a new summer camp on the site of Crystal Lake Camp? Because those clearly were not the same buildings, which had been old and in need of repair in Part 1, and have been sitting out with zero maintenance in the minimum of like, a decade since then. Crystal Lake does not seem like the sort of place that would attract people from out of state, that's a local attraction. They changed the name of the town and the lake, but the only people who would live close enough to go would probably also have heard about the name change and all the deaths beforehand, so I don't think it would be that effective. So who put up the money to build a new summer camp on a site so connected to a heinous spree killing?

All that aside, I didn't like the movie.

There's a lot of comedy, especially in the first half. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. If the movie had leaned into it and been entirely a spoof of the previous movies, that could've been good. But the movie leans away from it, so instead of being a funny Friday the 13th it's a Friday the 13th with a bunch of weird comedy that feels out of place.

Jason is a zombie now, and that sucks. I liked that Jason could get hurt, it made the final confrontation scenes intense and exciting. He could take an unrealistic amount of punishment, but he could still be hurt, he could still be defeated by a normal teen woman. Now he can be shot fifteen times and it doesn't matter.

This is the first movie where the summer camp actually has kids in it. That should've been a big change, that should've been the whole thing that makes the movie different from it's predecessors. Like, the counselors have to protect the kids, or maybe there's a fakeout with a troubled kid who might be doing the murders, or something. Instead it basically doesn't matter at all.

The previous movie tried to make the audience think that Tommy was the killer, bot none of the characters though that. In this movie some of the characters think Tommy is the killer, but the audience knows he isn't. Honestly, having characters in the movie think Tommy is the killer would've improved art 5, but here it's just frustrating. It's just an extra thing.

That's really the whole problem with the movie, the extra things. Tommy is hunting Jason, the cops think Tommy is the killer, the camp has kids, Jason is an immortal zombie. They're just thrown on top of a Friday the 13th movie, and the simple movie structure is groaning under the extra weight.

But what's really unforgivable is what this movie doesn't have. There's no boobs and nobody gets thrown through a window! And don't tell me about that girl who gets smashed halfway through a window and then pulled back in. That doesn't count. Every Friday the 13th movie has boobs and a body getting thrown through a window to scare somebody. And this movie has neither. It's bullshit. It's a betrayal of the franchise.

Jason Lives Friday the 13th Part 5 is bad, the worst Friday the 13th movie so far

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Jason's dad was originally referenced heavily in the screenplay for Part 6, and he quietly pays the caretaker to watch over Jason's grave, but it was never filmed.

There was supposed to be nudity during the RV sex scene, but the day of the shoot the actress said she didn't want to do it, and the director said that was cool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

There was supposed to be nudity during the RV sex scene, but the day of the shoot the actress said she didn't want to do it, and the director said that was cool.

Yet another reason why Part 6 is definitively and inarguably the best Friday the 13th.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

See, people who didn't watch that poo poo as a kid know part 6 is terrible.

It's just like TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

gey muckle mowser posted:

giallo.txt

I love the genre, but with the exception of a handful (e.g. Blood and Black Lace, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), I haven't seen one that didn't have some major flaws

True! It's one of the most dicey subgenres out there.

Franchescanado posted:

:ghost: Ask an offline/non-Goon* friend/family member/person to recommend you a horror movie to watch.

Do recommendations made before this particular challenge count? Because I have a couple good ones that were made to me in the process of getting my to-do list together.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

39. ParaNorman - 3/5

quote:

Great aesthetic and some funny jokes but this mostly bounced right off me. The story didn't really grip me and I was zoning out towards the end. I'm probably just dead inside, but most of my ability to love kids movies died when Toy Story 3 closed the book my childhood.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

See, people who didn't watch that poo poo as a kid know part 6 is terrible.

It's just like TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze.

Excuse me, I clearly said it was inarguable, and yet you're arguing. Did you even read my post?

Part 6 Supremacy Exhibit A:

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 16, 2018

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

SMP posted:

39. ParaNorman - 3/5

I wouldn't say it's you. Beyond a few unique gags, it's a bit of a standard romp compared to Laika's other three titles. Personally findnit to be the weakest of the lot.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

I wouldn't say it's you. Beyond a few unique gags, it's a bit of a standard romp compared to Laika's other three titles. Personally findnit to be the weakest of the lot.

The friend who recommended this is wild for Laika, so I was a bit eh on the prospect of watching their other movies. I'll catch at least Coraline someday.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Franchescanado posted:

Jason's dad was originally referenced heavily in the screenplay for Part 6, and he quietly pays the caretaker to watch over Jason's grave, but it was never filmed.

They could've just cut that sex scene and probably gotten a PG13 rating.

And that still doesn't explain the lack of a body thrown through a window!

Basebf555 posted:

Excuse me, I clearly said it was inarguable, and yet you're arguing. Did you even read my post?

I honestly didn't know if that was a joke or if laser sights were just that big back then.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
And another thing,

I know that talking about Chekov's Gun is really dumb and used pretty much exclusively by people who are bad at criticism nowadays, but c'mon! How do you spend that much time setting up that gun with the laser sight and it doesn't come up once in the fight against Jason?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
#68. When Good Ghouls Go Bad (2001) A boy and his father return to their small town to restart the chocolate factory his grandfather had once run, but closed down after a boy died and supposedly put a curse on the town if they celebrate halloween. Then, the dead start coming back to life to wreak havoc, starting with the boy's grandfather!

This movie was commanded to me by a friend (*coughFranchescanadocough*), something I've had happen many times this month. It's a kids movie, written by R.L. Stein of Goosebumps fame. I will give it credit for having some effort at making some spooky looks to things, but man, it's just a schmaltzy family holiday movie, and nothing really more. Much of the "humor" is terrible, the acting is ridiculous, and the plot is absurd. Not even Christopher Lloyd trying his hardest can save this one.

:spooky::spooky: out of 5

#69. Critters 4 (1992) At the end of Critters 3, the bumbling Charlie was tasked with putting the last two critter eggs into a space pod to preserve the species from total extinction, and found himself accidentally trapped in there as well, sent into space. Far in the future, a scavenger spaceship full of people of dubious morals finds the pod and opens it on an abandoned space station, freeing Charlie, but also the Crites as well.

This is yet another 80s-90s horror franchise sent into space. So you get lots of drab, poor lit hallways, people who look very 90s spouting technobabble, and the occasional laser gun, but is otherwise the same old stories. There's actually a lot less Critter sequences than in previous films though, which makes the movie kinda drag. The third act is kinda surprising in light of the rest of the series though.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

#70. The Night Flyer (1997) Richard Dees is a sleazy tabloid reporter that will do anything to get his story. He's assigned a mysterious case of a person who flies into small time airports at night and kills the people there, draining them of blood. Every detail of the case points to a vampire, and as Dees gets closer to the killer, the killer gets closer to him.

I kinda regret having taken so long to see this film, as I loved it. Miguel Ferrer is perfect in the lead, the story is a great little mystery, and the gore effects are pretty over the top for when this came out. Also, it has one of the more unique vampire designs in all of moviedom, that is unfortunately spoiled in like, every piece of media on the film, including box art.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm posting this one a little early so as to give everyone some time to figure it out.

(The friend has been insisting I watch this for like, 6 weeks now because I make him watch painfully bad films. I didn't watch til after the challenge got posted)

#71. Singapore Sling (1990) A detective of sorts is losing his mind searching for a lover that went missing 3 years ago, and suffering from injury he collapses at the door to a house she was seen at. This house is home to an insane mother daughter (?) pair that spend their days in rough bdsm sexual incest, and killing their servants and others that come into their circle. They take the man in, calling him Singapore Sling after a recipe for the cocktail in his pocket as he will not speak, and take him captive, slowly training him through lots of sexual torture and degradation into becoming a part of their games.

This is another one where someone else made me watch it. It's...sort of? horror. It's sort of a lot of things, defying much categorization. It's very graphic, but filmed in black and white with shots that feel more at home in the 50s than the 90s. It's all full of transgressions and extreme behavior, yet all seen through a dream like haze of psychosis that makes you never quite sure what is going on, further impacted by the man only speaking in Greek narration, and the two women often instead breaking the fourth wall and speaking directly to the viewer about present events in past tense. It's a very strange and difficult film, but I did enjoy it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

Do recommendations made before this particular challenge count? Because I have a couple good ones that were made to me in the process of getting my to-do list together.

Yes! As long as you review it after the challenge is posted, you're good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Butch Cassidy posted:

I completely agree.

Coraline is their best by far.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Don't try to argue with the authority, kid. You'll get hurt.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haha holy poo poo it comes with enchiladas. I am defeated.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The enchiladas are bad-rear end, but that drawing is abysmal. He looks angrily pumped about having diarrhea.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the makeup people for Part 6 forgot that Jason has a hosed up right eye. It's strongly implied by his mask in Part 2 that he can't even see out of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

the makeup people for Part 6 forgot that Jason has a hosed up right eye. It's strongly implied by his mask in Part 2 that he can't even see out of it.

Lightning Power!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
17. Cannibal Holocaust - 1980

Fran Challenge 6: Video Nasties
Two months ago, a pre-VICE but still essentially VICE documentary crew headed into the darkest jungles of Africa, to get some gnarly footage of cannibals. Wicked! Those dudes (and dudette) have disappeared. Bummer! Now another expedition is being sent in to find them.

It feels like a ground-breaking movie, in a lot of ways. But I didn't particularly like it. The documentarians are all straight up assholes, creating sensationalism where they don't need to. I mean, honestly, the cannibalism footage, or the "ritualistic punishment for adultery" that they capture would probably make a pretty fascinating documentary. But no let's cause mayhem and carnage and then face consequences.

Much has been made of the animals harmed while making this film. Mostly they seem to have been killed relatively quickly, except the first animal, the possum thing? All, of course, were killed by the white men, providing ever more evidence for the "but who are the true cannibals" ending.

Yes, I suppose if you make me choose between rich assholes faking documentaries and raping and pillaging and our innocent backwater cannibals I'm voting cannibal. Seems like you might have weighted that vote a bit though.
:spooky:.5/5

18. Under the Shadow 2016

Fran Challenge: The World is a Scary Place
Shideh is an Iranian woman, who lives in Tehran during the middle of the Iran/Iraq war. The university refuses to readmit her after the revolution, because she was maaaybe just a bit too liberal and activist in her views. She regularly wears pants and doesn't cover her head, for one thing.

Her husband instantly became my enemy by agreeing with the university that it might be good for her to not go back. Not your decision dude. He gets drafted, though, so now it's just Shideh and her kind of creepy daughter in an apartment surrounded by constant bombings and maaaybe haunted by a djinn.

People have compared this movie to The Babadook, and I think they both do a good job of capturing the frustrating nature of parenting, but overall I think I liked 'dook better. I loving hated that kid, which connected me more with the mom and her problems. I know Shideh's going through some poo poo in this movie but her little girl isn't that bad calm down.

gently caress that Babadook kid though, seriously.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

19. Carnival of Souls 1962

Fran Challenge: Once in a Lifetime
A road race ends in disaster, as one car careens off a bridge to a watery grave. Three hours after the crash, while the police comb the river trying and failing to find the car, a lone survivor, Mary, emerges from the river.

With no memory of what happened, she continues on with her life, leaving town and becoming a church organist...in some other town. Outside of new town is an old abandoned carnival, that draws Mary to it like a moth to a flame.

I thought it was pretty ok. It felt like a long special episode of The Twilight Zone, which I find out now is what Ebert said about the movie too. Well he was right.
:spoooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

Lightning Power!

I was going to say that you get the feeling that the people who made the movie weren't really invested in the idea of making another Friday the 13th movie, but you don't get that feeling, they just flatout tell you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akbKuuTych4

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Part 6 is only behind part 8 in terms of not giving a gently caress about the franchise history.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I have a bad feeling about this. Watch, I'll get suggested something like The Conjuring or ABCs of Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

graventy posted:

17. Cannibal Holocaust - 1980

Fran Challenge 6: Video Nasties
Two months ago, a pre-VICE but still essentially VICE documentary crew headed into the darkest jungles of Africa, to get some gnarly footage of cannibals. Wicked! Those dudes (and dudette) have disappeared. Bummer! Now another expedition is being sent in to find them.

It feels like a ground-breaking movie, in a lot of ways. But I didn't particularly like it. The documentarians are all straight up assholes, creating sensationalism where they don't need to. I mean, honestly, the cannibalism footage, or the "ritualistic punishment for adultery" that they capture would probably make a pretty fascinating documentary. But no let's cause mayhem and carnage and then face consequences.

Much has been made of the animals harmed while making this film. Mostly they seem to have been killed relatively quickly, except the first animal, the possum thing? All, of course, were killed by the white men, providing ever more evidence for the "but who are the true cannibals" ending.

Yes, I suppose if you make me choose between rich assholes faking documentaries and raping and pillaging and our innocent backwater cannibals I'm voting cannibal. Seems like you might have weighted that vote a bit though.
:spooky:.5/5

This is a little confusing, because that's absolutely what the intention of the film was. The whole point is that the documentarians take a legitimately interesting premise for their doc and instead are absolute monsters to the natives so they can get good footage. It's not a feel-good movie at all, which I guess your rating is reflecting?

• Locked thread