Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just wondering what I need to buy to get everything for the toy version of Starlink. Are the pilots included with the ships the same as the stand alone packs? Ditto with some of the gun packs.

I want the toy version because we're going to be moving in with my dad down the line to take care of him and this seems like something that he would like. He already has a PS4, so if I had the figures and the switch version, he wouldn't need more than just the starter pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Ok I lied it's actually a hamburger restaurant and if I sign my receipt the local community theater gets a portion of the proceeds.

I just wanted you guys to think I was fancy.

I believed you, Al. Enjoy your burgers. :)

Let us know how you like Starlink when you get back. I'm curious about it myself. The local co-op especially intrigues me. I love me some Starfox, but my husband is not that great at dogfighting. I have to rescue him from space pirates in No Man's Sky all the time. On the other hand, base building stuff doesn't really interest me, but he loves that poo poo. I'm seeing potential here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Randalor posted:

I'm just wondering what I need to buy to get everything for the toy version of Starlink. Are the pilots included with the ships the same as the stand alone packs? Ditto with some of the gun packs.

I want the toy version because we're going to be moving in with my dad down the line to take care of him and this seems like something that he would like. He already has a PS4, so if I had the figures and the switch version, he wouldn't need more than just the starter pack.

It looks like every ship comes with a pilot and a weapon (maybe two weapons). The separate pilots, I don't know if those are guys who don't have their own ship, or just something to get if you want their pilot power but don't care about their ship. Apparently there is at least one European exclusive pilot. I think if you got the ships your end up with most weapons and pilots.

Personally I'm just getting two one or two ships apart from the Arwing based on which ones look the coolest. Looks like I'll basically cover my bases on weapon elements that way anyway, I'm not interested in connecting every kind, just a couple I can kitbash.

It's funny, if the toys were required I think I would have zero interest in this game, but they aren't required, so now I'm spending an extra $50 cause I think they look cool

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 16, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I want to eventually get all the content for the game, but I'll probably pass on some of the ships at the start (like the not-an-arwing-really-guys red and black one). I just don't want to buy a weapon pack or pilot pack and find out that, whoops, now I have two of the same pilot when I get the ship pack.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The space battles in Star Link remind me of the Old Battlefront 2 fights. This is a good thing.

Once any of you get it, let us know how the exploration feels. It's what most interests me for sure.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I have not decided on whether I'm getting the digital or physical version yet. I'm heading to gamestop in about 30 mins here over lunch and want to see what these starships look like first (specifically the Arwing) before making a decision.

So here's a question that I haven't really seen talked about. Have the devs discussed what the post launch plans for this are? I'd expect they want to continue releasing spaceships....so I'd assume more in-game content/missions will be added?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The space battles in Star Link remind me of the Old Battlefront 2 fights. This is a good thing.

Once any of you get it, let us know how the exploration feels. It's what most interests me for sure.
what I've seen looks fun but, negative reviews say it's a lot of "busy work" but that's weird review code words on a game that has tons of content and they are trying to get a review out.

Reviewers are weird and getting worse I think.

Anyway. I want/hope for star fox with the serial numbers filed off. I'm worried about crafted levels vs a bunch of procedural content in this being repetitive.

All that to say, i also want goon impressions please.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I have not decided on whether I'm getting the digital or physical version yet. I'm heading to gamestop in about 30 mins here over lunch and want to see what these starships look like first (specifically the Arwing) before making a decision.

So here's a question that I haven't really seen talked about. Have the devs discussed what the post launch plans for this are? I'd expect they want to continue releasing spaceships....so I'd assume more in-game content/missions will be added?

Check an unboxing video real quick, because the arwing looks a lot cooler with the g-diffuser foils open, and that's closed in the box

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Is Starlink poo poo going to get crazy expensive over time or will it get super cheap / liquidated in a year?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bombadilillo posted:

what I've seen looks fun but, negative reviews say it's a lot of "busy work" but that's weird review code words on a game that has tons of content and they are trying to get a review out..

I've never heard of "busy work" being used like that in that context, or of these "code words" hidden within reviews. On the other hand, games padding their content with chores is a really common occurrence.

That said I want to hear some homegrown amateur impressions too!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The only odd thing for me in reading reviews about this game (particularly from outlets I generally trust, like Gamespot) is that almost all of it seems positive but then a relatively low score is given. Just seems weird.

Regardless, worst case it should be fun as something to muck about in for awhile.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Is Starlink poo poo going to get crazy expensive over time or will it get super cheap / liquidated in a year?

Impossible to tell. Ubi is hedging their bets with it a little bit. I think they want the game itself to succeed even if the toys don't take off, which is why there's the digital version with all the content.

^^edit: I thought that too. I saw one that was all 'this is exactly the game ive always been waiting for. 7/10' and I'm like :psyduck:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KingSlime posted:

I've never heard of "busy work" being used like that in that context, or of these "code words" hidden within reviews. On the other hand, games padding their content with chores is a really common occurrence.

That said I want to hear some homegrown amateur impressions too!

One man’s busy work is another man’s hundred hours of content (collecting feathers)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Downloaded TWEWY and it's fun, feels a little slow to start but that's probably because I'm getting used to the new interface, co-oping with both joysticks is hard but fun.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Fallom posted:

One man’s busy work is another man’s hundred hours of content (collecting feathers)

For real though, I'm somehow convinced I need to simultaneously play as a Gunner and a Blademaster within the same character on my MHGU playthrough. That's prolly why I'm at 70 hours and still not even halfway through the single player content, let alone the multiplayer hub...

Collecting feathers was just bullshit though!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So what would be the worst version to buy? A physical copy with no toys? Because I'm not sure how much memory it is but it's definitely the sort of game I'd rather have physically than digitally, but I definitely have 0 interest in the physical objects. So I guess it'll have to be digital.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everything that isnt starfox will go on deep discount. StarFox will evaporate so quickly youll debate if it ever existed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really want to hear a starlink review from a No Mans Sky-liker. I really want NMS on Switch but that is never happening for many reasons, so I want to know if starlink is the next best thing

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So what would be the worst version to buy? A physical copy with no toys? Because I'm not sure how much memory it is but it's definitely the sort of game I'd rather have physically than digitally, but I definitely have 0 interest in the physical objects. So I guess it'll have to be digital.

There is no physical version with no toys. Even with the toys, you don't have full "digital ships", as they will only last for a week, before you need to "tap" them again to be usable.

Either full digital or full physical. At least concerning Star Fox..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s an Ubisoft toys-to-life game so probably the later.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm betting the pilots and weapons go on deep discount before the actual ships do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really want to hear a starlink review from a No Mans Sky-liker. I really want NMS on Switch but that is never happening for many reasons, so I want to know if starlink is the next best thing

Here's my :nms: Starlink Review: a picture of Donald Trump's dick

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Here's my :nms: Starlink Review: a picture of Donald Trump's dick

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So I went into Gamestop at lunch to check out the physical stuff. The Arwing looks pretty drat cool (some of the others do as well, I'm a sucker for spaceships) but I just couldn't justify buying the physical starter pack when the digital deluxe is such a better deal by a wide margin.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
if Starlink was a main series Starfox game i would be stoked. it's pretty good so far. and the scale is way bigger than what Nintendo would ever do with Starfox imo

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah I've been playing for about an hour or so, and so far it's really great. The dogfighting, and just flying around generally feels good. You can make some really, really stupid ships even digitally. Like, you can mount wings and guns backwards, or all branching off of one side like some sort of hosed up flying bonsai tree.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 16, 2018

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

KingSlime posted:

For real though, I'm somehow convinced I need to simultaneously play as a Gunner and a Blademaster within the same character on my MHGU playthrough. That's prolly why I'm at 70 hours and still not even halfway through the single player content, let alone the multiplayer hub...

Collecting feathers was just bullshit though!

Nope, the reason you're at 70 hrs and not even halfway through the single player content is that there's just so much. I'm HR unlocked and around 260ish hours in and haven't even touched the surface of the game really. It just has SO MUCH content.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I want to buy the physical Starlink pack that comes with the Arwing but I don't really want to buy more than that. Will I still be able to unlock other ships, pilots, and weapons?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The digital version is the better deal, but I really want an Arwing toy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gonna buy that starlink digital

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/starlink_battle_for_atlas

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Yes

Edit: hedging my bet, No.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah I've been playing for about an hour or so, and so far it's really great. The dogfighting, and just flying around generally feels good. You can make some really, really stupid ships even digitally. Like, you can mount wings and guns backwards, or all branching off of one side like some sort of hosed up flying bonsai tree.

Oh man, I cannot wait for the inevitable youtube videos detailing the absurd ship possibilities.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just realized something; I was watching Vinny stream Starlink and he said there were no gyro controls. There's a controller shell shown in that review that shows the ship attached to the controller. How could they not put gyro controls on that so you can aim your ship in the game by aiming your ship in real life?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BattleMaster posted:

I just realized something; I was watching Vinny stream Starlink and he said there were no gyro controls. There's a controller shell shown in that review that shows the ship attached to the controller. How could they not put gyro controls on that so you can aim your ship in the game by aiming your ship in real life?

Maybe Captain power still retains the rights?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I didnt realise you could put weapons on at weird angles and it would work that way! That's awesome. Can you digitally make hosed up ships or is that just toy based?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

I didnt realise you could put weapons on at weird angles and it would work that way! That's awesome. Can you digitally make hosed up ships or is that just toy based?

You can do it digitally too. There's a lot to play with here, right now I'm using a right wing on the left and a left wing on the right and it makes my arwing into a funky looking knockoff X-wing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THE loving MOON posted:

You can do it digitally too. There's a lot to play with here, right now I'm using a right wing on the left and a left wing on the right and it makes my arwing into a funky looking knockoff X-wing

Getting real hyped for this game :dogcited:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

Uggggggghjhhhhhjj. Buying this now

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Really want star link, but I expect it to be on sale by black Friday, which is only a few weeks away now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CleveChris/status/1052276809683820544

:magical:

https://twitter.com/CleveChris/status/1052283647628402690

darn

One review said it was a more accessible and family friendly version of no mans sky.