Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah what he said.

Volvospeed is almost exclusively FWD
Swedespeed covers mostly newer cars but has old car forums as well, they're just not as busy.
Turbobricks has the highest population of RWD posters with lots of expertise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Is that expertise more than “you need to put a turbo in there, bro”?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Absolutely. You will get a lot of "search, noob" replies and ruthless trolling if you post stupid poo poo but yeah there are guys that can recite valve diameters for each year of the B20 engine and tell you exactly which cam to use with which turbo for max torque, etc. Knowing which years have the most durable motors and all that. There is a guy who knew exactly which 142 parking brake cable would work for putting the 1800E axle into my 122. It can be awesome there.

Basically read a lot of threads and use google search with site:forums.turbobricks.com so that you find a lot of what you want without having to bug people. Then if you post a polite build thread you'll get a lot of good advice from people who've been there and done that.

It can be fun over there when some douche comes in and is like "grandma gave me her 240 so I'm gonna make a sleeper and put a 2jz in it and make 900 hp what motor mounts should I use?" and the whole crew comes in and just unloads on them.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 16, 2018

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I learned everything I ever wanted to know and more about +T'ing my 245 from turbobricks (now I just have to finish collecting all the bits). It's a fantastic resource for old volvo tinkerers.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Turbobricks helped a lot on my Volvo Adventure

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I replaced the fan unit on the S40 with a new one with a warranty, the new shroud feels a lot flimsier than the OEM one. I also don't think the fan module will last long, it's vented, it's got actual holes in it.

So of course I butchered the old one open to see what's wrong, the answer is the power in wires have broken and corroded where they enter the seals. I'm fairly sure I can get it working again, the insides look brand new. Then I'll need a new waterproof enclosure for it and keep it tucked away for when this one inevitably breaks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I just got a 2016 S60 T5 - the manual says it runs fine on 87 octane, but 91 is "recommended." This is a daily driver, not pushed for performance. Volvo forums seem to have some people insisting higher octane is needed for turbo engines, but they seem like typical car forum denizens and offer little justification. Is there any reason to use 91, or is 87 fine?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You'll be giving up a noticeable fuel economy edge and the engine will have pulled timing (and probably boost) by a huge margin. If a manufacturer recommends a grade of fuel they're not doing it "for no reason."

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Zodijackylite posted:

I just got a 2016 S60 T5 - the manual says it runs fine on 87 octane, but 91 is "recommended." This is a daily driver, not pushed for performance. Volvo forums seem to have some people insisting higher octane is needed for turbo engines, but they seem like typical car forum denizens and offer little justification. Is there any reason to use 91, or is 87 fine?

I was asking the same question for my v60 and in the end decided to go with a higher octane.

I have no access to 91. In NY fuel goes from 87 to 89 to 93. I just top it off with 93, then halfway through that tank I fill it with 89, and so on to maintain an effective 91 octane in the tank.

Fuel economy has improved by a couple MPG, but it would still be more economical to use 87. I can’t tell if engine performance improved, I don’t push it too hard. I like knowing that the engine is using what Volvo recommends so I’ll keep using higher octane unless I’m broke someday.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’ve gotten 91 here but it really chaps me when it’s 40+ cents more per gallon over 89.

That being said it “feels” better on top tier premium to me anyways. I do like that if I end up in some town with only a single deli/smokes/beer/lotto that has “gas” or diesel I can still fill up if need be.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The ability to run on 87 is really only there for emergencies imo, and you shouldn't drive the car hard if you have to use 87. I lost my first whiteblock to lovely octane mixing (someone had borrowed it and put half a tank of 87 in without telling me) when I did a sustained WOT run shortly after a full tune-up.
Now, while that was in an older 850, and the newer ME7+ cars do have more leeway in their timing curves, why artificially handicap your high performance turbo car with crappy fuel? May as well buy the NA if you want to have cheap fill ups.

In other news, last night in a fit of insomnia I managed to track down the correct weatherstripping for the 240s. My 245 desperately needs all the door seals replaced but none of the usual Volvo parts houses seem to carry anything besides the trunk/hatch gasket.

https://metrommp.com/index.cfm?f=type_detail&ModelNumber=LP%2040-K&Type=Door%20Top%20&%20Side%20Seals
here's the seal, a little pricey at $3.80 per foot but what can you do.

Pic of the seal from one of my doors for comparison.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Terrible Robot posted:

The ability to run on 87 is really only there for emergencies imo, and you shouldn't drive the car hard if you have to use 87. I lost my first whiteblock to lovely octane mixing (someone had borrowed it and put half a tank of 87 in without telling me) when I did a sustained WOT run shortly after a full tune-up.
Now, while that was in an older 850, and the newer ME7+ cars do have more leeway in their timing curves, why artificially handicap your high performance turbo car with crappy fuel? May as well buy the NA if you want to have cheap fill ups.

Modern cars have knock sensors that will adjust for the octane. It doesn't really matter anymore safety wise. You'll get better performance and *possibly* better fuel economy with 91 or 93 though.

I use 87 in my MK7 GTI without any issue though since premium isn't required (only recommended). When it's $2-5 per fill up extra and I'm not driving the car hard (though I do hit on ramps spiritedly), it's not worth the cost to me.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I've only ever used 87 in my 2012 S60. Never even thought about regularly refueling w/ 89, 91, 93, etc.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The manual in my 14 S60 says to use a minimum of 87, but that it's recommended to use premium for "demanding driving", which I imagine is anything other than 55 in the highest gear.

I've been putting 87 in it since my old subaru flat out required 93 and it says so in the manual, while Volvo explicitly says that 87 and above won't affect reliability.

If I drove the Volvo to work every day or otherwise put more than a 5 or so thousand miles on it a year I might switch. So far it's been fine.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The manual makes it clear that it is mechanically safe to run it on 87. Here's the page, for reference:

Thanks for the replies. It seems that everyone who uses 87 has no problem with normal daily driving.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 17, 2018

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Premium all day every day. You never know when a kid in an Audi is gonna front and you have to put him down a quarter mile at a time.

Tuna no crust.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nobody comes here for the tuna.

Realtalk: holy gently caress this single mass flywheel is glorious.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Boring failure pictures:

Broken signal wire at the bottom of the picture

Inside, the components are all heatsinked to the case

Other side, looks like new inside.

So if anyone has a fan module failure check the wires going in. Might not be easy to fix properly but you could probably limp a little further with judicious use of paperclips and cable ties.

If I can get a suitable enclosure I'll re-terminate the wires and put it back together.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Nobody comes here for the tuna.

Realtalk: holy gently caress this single mass flywheel is glorious.

You may have just talked me in to getting one. I was on the fence, thinking about doing the clutch stuff since I'll have the engine out anyway, and my C70 revs so much faster than the R that I actually have to re-learn rev matching when I switch between the cars.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

There is low RPM chatter at idle and creeping, but other than that it's loving great.

Ask Wrar and TR for more opinions. (tr didn't get to drive it nearly enough)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I only really got to dick with the take-up in the driveway but it was so much goddamned better than the stock DMF, like holy crap. I could actually modulate the clutch engagement and it was smooth, unlike the DMF which always felt either super mushy or grabby, no good medium.

Between getting to play with that and getting to hear the IPD turbo-back on Toplitzin's R I am chomping at the drat bit to get my C70 back on the road (I already have a turbo-back waiting for it under my bed...)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I agree completely with that description. I already have a single mass in my C70 and it is much more interactive than the dual mass. I was just not sure if it would be worth the money in the R but sounds like it is. I also have the IPD exhaust and I get complements on it at every meet.

I've been sick so I haven't been able to brave the cooler temps to get my plugs out yet, and I have plans tomorrow through Sunday, so that's when I'll probably get to the post mortem.

In other Volvo news I think I finally got my daughter's V50 to stop burping out all the god drat coolant. All it took was a third reservoir cap. Totally poo poo design. Plastic under spring pressure on plastic to keep it sealed. And with the death of my R I did the V50 rear brakes, now it stops silently and confidently. It wasn't through the pad material but the lips on the rotors were so bad that they were contacting the pad base metal and sounded HORRIBLE. I felt guilty teaching the kid to drive on it like that.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Dual mass flywheels are a bad compromise in the name of low speed NVH, doubly so with a Volvo white block. The bite point is so much better defined with a single mass, and the slightly lower weight makes it even more eager without being obnoxious.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

New motor arrived already, holy poo poo. I was figuring I had a couple more weeks, but this week just flew by. I guess I have to get all the peripheral poo poo on order and put the car in the garage to start stripping it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Do you have any services or debugging of the motor pre-install? Might as well do the easy stuff.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scheduled my Polestar upgrade for Nov. 2nd.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DOWyBdvKqA

Has anyone done this tail light fix before? My 240's lights just got fixed, but maybe I should do it as a preventative measure?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Looks valid and it's free, I would.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So the loving scream is back after extended driving.
Pulled off the highway after about two hours of driving for breakfast, got the 02/driveshaft wail as I came up the off ramp. Did it again as I slowed for a traffic light or two, then went away. Came back a couple hours later as we got into the mountains, but this time at around 55. But then went away.

Shop says there is a 1/4" of gap when I brought it in last time it made the wail after the clutch job.

I wonder if it's thermal expansion because of the Jett hot? I'm out if ideas outside of mounting a GoPro under the body or something else equally stupid.

Otherwise something is shifting and I don't know what.

In good news the exhaust sounds glorious, there there is a tunnel here that is exactly 2nd gear long. I'll post a video if I ever get a good recording.

Edit: Are the side air vents pop out replacements? My passenger side broke and can't be easily aimed anymore. If it's an easy pop of pop in great, if it's dash related, fml.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 28, 2018

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Exhaust absolutely moves under heat. My exhaust tips are sticking out about 3/4" farther when hot.

Put it on a lift while hot and look for rub marks. It was originally called "rain squeal" because water on one side of the exhaust would make it expand in a way that curved it in to the driveshaft.

The vents do pop out, not sure if they're really meant to but I did it on my first V70 while looking for screws to remove the dash:

That side panel just comes off by hand if you want to get in there and look. I'd start by pulling one at the junkyard, that way if you break it you don't have to buy it. And if you don't have them yet, get a set of bone tools. They don't damage dashboards like screwdrivers do when prying. I got these, 6 bucks. https://smile.amazon.com/KINGLAKE-Panel-Removal-Radio-Installer/dp/B00HNMLQAG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1540734276&sr=8-9&keywords=trim+tools

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 28, 2018

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It one hundred percent has a ring where they rub. :)

Just p2 things I guess.

Thanks!

LloydDobler posted:

Exhaust absolutely moves under heat. My exhaust tips are sticking out about 3/4" farther when hot.

Put it on a lift while hot and look for rub marks. It was originally called "rain squeal" because water on one side of the exhaust would make it expand in a way that curved it in to the driveshaft.

It was rainy AF Friday too.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 28, 2018

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
For P2 Volvos, is the OEM battery considerably better or should most third-party ones be fine? Mine is definitely weak since the car had trouble starting after ~45mins with systems on, and I'm sure it'll only get worse when it gets cold.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I swapped mine for a Costco one last month after it died twice.

Pretty happy with it. I believe it's the wagon size, but it's just a different hole in the trunk.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Animal posted:

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out on those things and get everything fix in the warranty period. And maybe install the sway bar. Did you notice any added ride stiffness when going off road after installing it?
Also how's the roof rack and roof box affecting your fuel economy? I get poo poo fuel economy anyways, 25mpg hwy 14mpg in NYC. I need to take it easy with the pedal..

Roof rack doesn’t really seem to affect it. I can’t keep my foot out the the skinny petal, so I get somewhere around 25-26 highway, and 14-16 in DC. Also put premium in it, it can run on 87, but I’ve noticed fuel economy is worse if you do. The roof box is only on there when I travel, so I haven’t really noticed a difference. The roof rack is the Volvo accessory one—the aero blade one. It’s super nice, and apparently made by Thule, but it’s half the price of the Thule branded one. I recommend it, it really doesn’t whistle.
The sway bar didn’t really do much to the off road ride, but definitely got rid of a bunch of the understeer on the pavement. The R design front strut top bar did stop the front of the car from flexing so much when off-roading. It doesn’t feel like the windshield is gonna twist anymore. That would be the other thing that would recommend.

I will say that when I drove mine into NYC the ride quality was still superb. And the parking sensors/back up cam made parking stupid easy.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I did it.

It's great.

I am going to get in trouble with this car.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

mikerock posted:

I am going to get in trouble with this car.

Totally worth it.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Has anyone done one of those UV dye kit's to locate an oil leak in their vehicle? Did it work out well for you?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The UV trace stuff works good, I've never used it but shops I've gone to have.

My buddy who runs a shop just puts the car on a lift, sprays the poo poo out of it with solvent, wipes it off and lets it dry, and then a week later checks the car again. Follow the oil forward, because wind blows it back. The most forward spot with oil on it, and the areas above that, are where the leak is coming from. Usually good enough to pinpoint a leak.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

That's good to hear. I was considering degreasing the engine and wiping it down, but spraying a bunch of solvent will probably help also.
I didn't know those tips about looking forward for oil; that really helps thanks.
I think the UV stuff is going to work best; the leak itself must be pretty small because there's only a dime-size drop or two of oil on the floor every morning. At least I hope its small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren: