Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm honing in on this project more. I nailed the front/back give, but the side to side is way too loose. I also may need the cart to rest higher, I roughly targeted where the angle of the cart changes, and sized this based on Mario Land. I also went way too deep with the engraves, I need to scale that back. The fight screen engrave sits a bit too close to the top. I think I will also engrave something on the sides and the bottom. I also might want to sand the sizes and bottom and treat the wood, but that adds a lot of time to the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chainclaw posted:

I'm honing in on this project more. I nailed the front/back give, but the side to side is way too loose. I also may need the cart to rest higher, I roughly targeted where the angle of the cart changes, and sized this based on Mario Land. I also went way too deep with the engraves, I need to scale that back. The fight screen engrave sits a bit too close to the top. I think I will also engrave something on the sides and the bottom. I also might want to sand the sizes and bottom and treat the wood, but that adds a lot of time to the project.

That is so freaking cool :allears:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Djarum posted:

I replaced the fuse last weekend and it still isn't powering on. I checked all the caps when I took it apart (what a loving nightmare) and they were all surprisingly in perfect shape. I am going to take the multimeter to it when I get the time to figure out what is wrong with it. It is obviously something with the power board since it isn't getting power.
Have you tried using a different, preferably brand new, power adaptor? My Genny was acting weird with my Everdrives, and I traced it down to two of the power supplies I used with. Both were original SMS/Genesis 1 models that were my go-to ones for all my 9V needs, guess they finally wore out and stopped putting out the specified amperage.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
From GamePro Issue 61, June 1994.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All New Sonic posted:

Kolibri is a weird shooter with gorgeous artwork from the Ecco the Dolphin folks, and is probably the only game really worth checking out just because it's so unique. Nearly everything else is either unplayable or was done better on another console.

I'm pretty sure star wars arcade was a 32x exclusive, no? Also Virtua Racing was massively updated from the Genesis version

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Virtua Racing Deluxe was really good, best version after the Arcade
Kolibri looks nice, arguably the most interesting exclusive on the system
Virtua Fighter plays well
Star Wars Arcade is a decent home port of the arcade game but other games have done what it did better since
After Burner II and Space Harrier run at half framerate but were still the best home conversions of their time
Doom feels barely complete
Chaotix sucks

Everything else was worse

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

These are really cool. I think you should show these off in DIY, too!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mace Bacon posted:

Does anyone know any one who actually had a super gun setup in the mid 90's?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Analogue doesn't accept paypal or my preferred credit card, how am I supposed to make irresponsible purchases? :homebrew:

The only thing making me hesitant is it looks like buying the Mega SG means spending another $200-$300 on flash carts making this more like a $500 purchase. The Super Gameboy functionality put me over the top on getting the Super NT, so the addition of Master System and Game Gear games makes this thing an instant buy. I'm not even that nostalgic for Game Gear, but still has me hyped.

The Master System on the other hand... I got one for a birthday as a child. Literally had no loving clue what the thing was, I mean I was into video games and had played Nintendo plenty, but never saw any advertisement or anything. Something that would be impossible to experience today obviously.

Hopefully someone figures out a way to do Sega CD without the actual hardware. Since there's no proprietary attachment for that they are selling, I would assume that wouldn't be frowned upon.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 17, 2018

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mace Bacon posted:

christ almighty, imagine paying almost nine hundred dollars for Survival Arts

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

azurite posted:

There's a transistor that turns the Sega CD on as well. Might want to look into that. Console5 sells replacements.

That is the next likely culprit. I am still gonna take the meter to it to further check it.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Have you tried using a different, preferably brand new, power adaptor? My Genny was acting weird with my Everdrives, and I traced it down to two of the power supplies I used with. Both were original SMS/Genesis 1 models that were my go-to ones for all my 9V needs, guess they finally wore out and stopped putting out the specified amperage.

I recently got a Sega Trio and it stopped working shortly after it seems so it isn't a power issue at least directly.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Lowen SoDium posted:

Probably just Joe from Game Sack. And the guy that's selling this joystick which pretty much looks like the photo.

Also that looks like 'mas systems' was just run from some guys apartment.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

falz posted:

Probably just Joe from Game Sack. And the guy that's selling this joystick which pretty much looks like the photo.

Also that looks like 'mas systems' was just run from some guys apartment.

mas sticks were very popular in the fighting game community. fighting game community people also were a big portion of the people purchasing this kind of thing because it was otherwise impossible to have anything close to an arcade experience for fighting games at home. all you need is one local buddy with a supergun and you just have to buy a stick

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lowen SoDium posted:

The exact same sort of person with the money to blow on multiple NeoGeo AES games per year.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

katkillad2 posted:

The only thing making me hesitant is it looks like buying the Mega SG means spending another $200-$300 on flash carts making this more like a $500 purchase. The Super Gameboy functionality put me over the top on getting the Super NT, so the addition of Master System and Game Gear games makes this thing an instant buy. I'm not even that nostalgic for Game Gear, but still has me hyped.

I recall that the Super NT got a firmware update that allowed it to load ROM images from an SD card. Maybe the same will happen with the Mega SG?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

The exact same sort of person with the money to blow on multiple NeoGeo AES games per year.

I didn't know any of them in the 90's either. Poor teenage me wonder who on earth those systems were even for.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pastry of the Year posted:

christ almighty, imagine paying almost nine hundred dollars for Survival Arts

Ahh, the era when everyone thought they too could pull off a Mortal Kombat-level hit because they had a camera, a bluescreen, and a copy of Deluxe Paint :allears:

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

SwissCM posted:

Virtua Racing Deluxe was really good, best version after the Arcade
Kolibri looks nice, arguably the most interesting exclusive on the system
Virtua Fighter plays well
Star Wars Arcade is a decent home port of the arcade game but other games have done what it did better since
After Burner II and Space Harrier run at half framerate but were still the best home conversions of their time
Doom feels barely complete
Chaotix sucks

Everything else was worse

Shadow Squadron / Stellar Assault was a good arcadey space shooter

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I recall that the Super NT got a firmware update that allowed it to load ROM images from an SD card. Maybe the same will happen with the Mega SG?

Should be noted that is actually an unofficial firmware that may or may not have come from Kevtris.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lowen SoDium posted:

I didn't know any of them in the 90's either. Poor teenage me wonder who on earth those systems were even for.

I could see superguns and small RGB monitors being something that bigger arcade operators and arcade game leasing companies might buy, if only for board testing and repair purposes. And as mentioned above, arcade fighting game enthusiast communities in large cities could make a case for at least one person having a supergun.

But yeah, superguns, RGB monitors, Neo Geo AES stuff...I think it fell into the category of being stuff that if you didn't know why you wanted it, or that you could afford it, it wasn't really meant for 'you'.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Should be noted that is actually an unofficial firmware that may or may not have come from Kevtris.

That's good to know, though I also bet that it's a pretty sure thing to happen regardless of who does it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

:lol: look at all the bat-tops and perfectly horizontal button layouts. Products of their time, I guess.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I would have to say it will more than likely happen. That sells me on it. Going to be buying a NT and a SG now!!!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Are any light guns for PCs with LCD monitors worth a drat?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Defenestrategy posted:

Are any light guns for PCs with LCD monitors worth a drat?

The aimtrak is pretty good. I use it for light guns on mame. Basically it emulates a mouse pointer. It uses a Wii-like sensor bar on top of the screen to determine where it’s pointed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GutBomb posted:

The aimtrak is pretty good. I use it for light guns on mame. Basically it emulates a mouse pointer. It uses a Wii-like sensor bar on top of the screen to determine where it’s pointed.

Cool, I tried looking up reviews and that one came up I got 50% "This is alright." and 50% "This is garbage came broke, also not even responsive". I just wanted a goons perspective.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'm fairly sure that kevtris has some agreement where he can release his own h4xx firmware if he feels like it since he did all of the hard work. That's how the super nt got rom support, I think the presedence is set for the SG.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Cool, I tried looking up reviews and that one came up I got 50% "This is alright." and 50% "This is garbage came broke, also not even responsive". I just wanted a goons perspective.

I have both aimtraks and topguns, and the aimtrak wins by a mile. I can't even get the topguns to work beyond xp. Aimtraks are solid, and though they're not quite as fast as real lightguns, they're as good as you're likely to get. I found the recoil feature underwhelming, so you can save a bit not getting it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I just recently got a PlayStation set up with a modchip and save storage seems like it could be an issue. Are there any modern third party memory cards that are worth buying, or should I stick with original Sony cards?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

I just recently got a PlayStation set up with a modchip and save storage seems like it could be an issue. Are there any modern third party memory cards that are worth buying, or should I stick with original Sony cards?

I'm not sure if modern offerings are better, but back when the PS1 was current I learned very quickly that non-Sony memory cards were unreliable, which was annoying since they were per-kilobyte one of the most expensive common storage mediums in the entire history of consumer digital storage at $20-30 for 128 kilobytes. What I did instead was get a DexDrive, a little external card reader that let you dump memory card contents and manage saves. Of course, back in the day, the one I had worked over a serial port.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was going to mention keeping saves backed up on a PS3 and just use one really good Sony card, but then that requires having a PS3 and one of those memory card transfer units which I think are hard to come by now?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also I know prices have gotten all hosed up since then, but when I lived in Japan about 10 years ago, used official PS1 memory cards were 300 yen (like 3 bucks), I feel like you could probably find an auction selling like 6 of them and even with shipping pay like $40 or some such and be done with it.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Zonekeeper posted:

If it’s a model with the parallel port on the back, hunt down a V-Mem.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I've had no real issue with third party 128kb memory cards for the PS1, though any with bank switching will give you a headache. The PS2 third party memory cards are considerably more lovely though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

univbee posted:

I'm not sure if modern offerings are better, but back when the PS1 was current I learned very quickly that non-Sony memory cards were unreliable, which was annoying since they were per-kilobyte one of the most expensive common storage mediums in the entire history of consumer digital storage at $20-30 for 128 kilobytes. What I did instead was get a DexDrive, a little external card reader that let you dump memory card contents and manage saves. Of course, back in the day, the one I had worked over a serial port.

The Interact Performance 128k cards were just as reliable as Sony cards in my experience. As long as you stay away from any of the bankswitching "Mega" memory cards you are fine.

I was working on a modern memory card for awhile earlier this year. Unfortunately the idea I had won't work. I got the bankswitching idea working reliably but the PSX's memory card system is a house of cards for failing at any point almost out of nowhere.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For the most part the third party cards that were going to break quick have, well, already broken. And you just won't encounter much of the already broken ones when buying them now.

So you can feel pretty confident that if you buy one now they'll be about as reliable as the Sony cards.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I am genuinely surprised how quickly the hype for the Mister FPGA system spread. Apparently people have been working on the cores for a while now, and I learned about it only few weeks ago. Now all the retro gaming channels are talking about it. Hopefully the surge in interest and visibility will help with development.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Djarum posted:

I was working on a modern memory card for awhile earlier this year. Unfortunately the idea I had won't work. I got the bankswitching idea working reliably but the PSX's memory card system is a house of cards for failing at any point almost out of nowhere.
I liked the Crash Bandicoot developer’s story about discovering a hardware bug that would corrupt the save file if you messed with the controller during a save, due to some kind of electrical interference.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Putrid Grin posted:

I am genuinely surprised how quickly the hype for the Mister FPGA system spread. Apparently people have been working on the cores for a while now, and I learned about it only few weeks ago. Now all the retro gaming channels are talking about it. Hopefully the surge in interest and visibility will help with development.

I think it was because the Polymega has been saying for years they were doing FPGA "hybrid" emulation, and finally revealed that they are nothing but a lovely emulation box that people started yearning for an FPGA solution. With Kevgtris and Analog taking so long with the Analog Sg, and not really doing a core store (like they should have, like seriously, whey do people want to keep buying the exact same device with different software?!) the demand has been there, it all just came to a head.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Any one have a mister set up here can share their thoughts? Thinking of picking one up, not thrilled that the boards themselves are rather hard to get a hold of, unlike the de10 nano device itself. Anyone vouch for good quality source for the io and memory boards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

These are really cool. I think you should show these off in DIY, too!

I'll try and figure that out, I couldn't find a laser cutting thread there, just the 3D printing thread, which I don't think this counts.

Tonight I really wanted to play some Warhammer, but I couldn't figure out how to transport my army, so I focused on honing in my Game Boy cart display.

Before I put them together:

I'm getting pretty close. This one was a bit too tight forward/back. I also need to engrave the base layer better on both sides. It's also not quite as tightly fitted on the outside as I would like. If you look at the bottom right of the map screen, you'll see it's not perfectly lined up.

Bonus regretsies / experiments:

I'm trying out the same thing in acrylic. Looks cool in some ways, but a pain in the rear end to work with compared to the wood.