Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DuhSal posted:

I haven't watched a lot of Doctor Who (maybe a couple episodes from a random season) and just started watching this season but I was wondering why the aliens in this episode all looked human? Like no make up/prosthetic at all to make them a bit more alien. Is that normal for Doctor Who? The first ep had a very alien creature...

Yeah, that type of humanoid is common in Doctor Who, along with the more alien creatures. A couple of non-TV stories have tried to explain it away (like the audio Zagreus positing that the creator of Time Lord society seeded the universe with humanoids).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DuhSal posted:

I haven't watched a lot of Doctor Who (maybe a couple episodes from a random season) and just started watching this season but I was wondering why the aliens in this episode all looked human? Like no make up/prosthetic at all to make them a bit more alien. Is that normal for Doctor Who? The first ep had a very alien creature..

I really like the Doctor. She's funny, warm and just the right amount of subtle wacky without getting cringey.

I didn't care much for the interior of the Tardis. It looked like the inside of the evil villain's ship or something. Too cold and dark.

That's pretty normal. Usually they don't bother with any prosthetics unless the story is specifically about them being aliens, like it's a monster of the week thing or they're trying to do a story about how Appearances Are Deceiving We're The Same Inside. A bunch of aliens in Dr Who look exactly like humans but with silly outfits

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The only thing I'm not digging about Jodie is her "DRAMATIC POSE" every time she uses the sonic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Loved the episode, loved Jodie, loved the new opening, loved the new Tardis, loved everything. So excited for this season.

New Tardis interior reminds me of 9 and 10's, if darker. More organic, both built and grown.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Davros1 posted:

The only thing I'm not digging about Jodie is her "DRAMATIC POSE" every time she uses the sonic.

Haha, I noticed that too

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I'm exactly the opposite in opinion. Her sonic pose is right on loving point.

But what a weird thing to be critical of though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It feels like she’s using a Harry Potter wand every time she does it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lets be honest though, since around 11 it's been the sci-fi equivalent of a magic wand.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DuhSal posted:

I haven't watched a lot of Doctor Who (maybe a couple episodes from a random season) and just started watching this season but I was wondering why the aliens in this episode all looked human? Like no make up/prosthetic at all to make them a bit more alien. Is that normal for Doctor Who? The first ep had a very alien creature..

The show's original budget was two pounds and half an empty candy bar wrapper, so even now that they have money the expected aesthetic is pretty minimal. One of the classic enemies is "upside-down trashbin with some styrofoam and a plunger stuck on". The first episode this season had "guy with teeth on his face", "tangle of rubber hoses with some lightning effects", and "paper mache lump covered in glitter". It's just a matter of making that look good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
That looked like a very expensive tangle of rubber hoses

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Lets be honest though, since around 11 it's been the sci-fi equivalent of a magic wand.

I sort of wonder if there's a required minimum number of times they have to use the sonic screwdriver in each episode. They just use it for such pointless things, like scanning the robot to determine it's a robot. Wouldn't it've looked better for the Doctor to pull back its hood to reveal it's a robot? Sometimes the screwdriver seems designed to make things less interesting.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Safeword posted:

The robots ire had been drawn by moving in front of them, though. They were already aggressive and out to kill.

It was the "on my own" guy who took a shot at one of the robots; they started shooting after that. Presumably, they were then in self-defense mode, and not engaging their primary programming or operating with any specific direction. I did find myself wondering if they'd been deliberately programmed to miss, either by the race organizer or as guards for the captive scientists. (If your sniper robots shoot to kill your prisoners, then they are dead.) Then again, accuracy in a firefight is rarely as high as people who just watch TV or movies thinks.

The sheet-creatures were deliberately called out as "clean-up." Presumably they left a bunch of them to get rid of all the corpses. They look like sheets and activate at night, so I presume they are stealth weapons. Your sheets kill you at night while you're asleep.

I'm fine with the show shifting back towards the old-school "if you step out of the room for a minute and come back, you probably haven't missed anything vital." Moffat, in particular, wrote for rewatch, but the frenetic and packed episodes, while more engaging, were more demanding as well. No surprise that fans serious enough to post their thoughts online are likely to prefer the frenetic to the casual. But this seems like a better pace for family viewing that mixes hardcore fans and occasional fans.

What was being explored didn't end up being as interesting as I hoped, but I'm glad to see exploration over time being readded to the show's grammar.

I'm also OK with them not flying one or two extra cast members on location just to demonstrate the flesh-eating water with an expensive and unnecessary effect. "Show, don't tell," sure, but not slavishly. Personally, I think adding a character just to fall in and demonstrate the flesh-eating water is lazy writing, too. Not framing the water as an ongoing threat (a room starts flooding, say) may have been a missed opportunity, but it is also a deliberate choice to have a lower intensity to the episode, and I'm unsure whether that's a problem or not.

Chibnall does seem to have a different attitude towards Doctor Who as a children's/adult show which I'm not yet sure about. But I think we need at least a whole series to judge.

Edit: Also, I hope that little TARDIS on the console is a seed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
"Sorry Yaz, I forgot you were there"

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the anti-gun sentiment, at least, doesn't feel as grating as HE'S A SOLDIER YOU CAN'T DATE A SOLDIER

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i mean that was obvious self-loathing and projection

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

The_Doctor posted:

It feels like she’s using a Harry Potter wand every time she does it.

She's a space wizard, lol. I like it, it's extremely silly, and I think she's trying to impress her new friends. :3:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

But man do I not care fo the new TARDIS at all. It's just too much of a departure from what we've traditionally known.

Let me tell you what happened in 1996...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Let me tell you what happened in 1996...

I mean, I get how much people love that one and I do like it but it still had a ton of visual cues from the classic styling. The new one just feels EVIL.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's just so much amber in the new art direction. The sonic and the Tardis both. All amber and crystals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:in Dr Dinosaur voice:

CRYSTALS????

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I get how much people love that one and I do like it but it still had a ton of visual cues from the classic styling. The new one just feels EVIL.

No what I meant was how much different the 96 console room was from all previous versions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

No what I meant was how much different the 96 console room was from all previous versions.

Still has a recognizable control console with a time rotor. Hell if you look at the elevated area just around the console it almost looks like the Doctor just dropped the immediate walls. The new crystal design feels very wrong to me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Action Jacktion posted:

I sort of wonder if there's a required minimum number of times they have to use the sonic screwdriver in each episode. They just use it for such pointless things, like scanning the robot to determine it's a robot. Wouldn't it've looked better for the Doctor to pull back its hood to reveal it's a robot? Sometimes the screwdriver seems designed to make things less interesting.

Pulling back the hood only reveals it looks like a robot. Oh, thats a picky distinction I hear you cry, but this is Doctor Who and, as two easy examples, both cybermen and daleks (for the two most obvious examples among many) look like, but are not, robots.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spatula City posted:

She's a space wizard, lol. I like it, it's extremely silly, and I think she's trying to impress her new friends. :3:

Yeah it's charming as hell, which pretty much sums up her take on the role in general. Aggressively positive and charismatic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The cover for Doctor Who Comics Day next month:

That’s honestly absolutely stunning.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 17, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

precision posted:

Yeah it's charming as hell, which pretty much sums up her take on the role in general. Aggressively positive and charismatic.

I was going to make a manic pixie dream doctor crack but then I realized that was pretty much Matt Smith's whole run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't get me wrong guys, I loving love what Jodie's tossing around, she's just the best but her TARDIS is a a hard no for me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The cover for Doctor Who Comics Day next month:

That’s honestly absolutely stunning.

I'm not often impressed by Doctor Who comics art but I really want this as a poster on my wall

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

Still has a recognizable control console with a time rotor. Hell if you look at the elevated area just around the console it almost looks like the Doctor just dropped the immediate walls. The new crystal design feels very wrong to me.

The crystal would work if it just wasn't a just one solid piece. If they had done something like Superman's Fortress of Solitude, using clear crystals, illumination it from the inside, and letting the light bounce off it. Maybe not having every crystal move in unison either.

And not yellow either. I understand they want to tie it in with the sonic, but a white/clear crystal would look so much better

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Possibly yeah but I'm not really feeling the design overall.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Caught up on it. I am falling in love with this show all over again. I just love Jodie as the Doctor. Even more than I loved Capaldi and I loved him a lot. Frankly it feels like it's only gotten better each time for me. But she's the best.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like how in two episodes, the Thirteen's already used the Sonic more than Twelve did his entire run

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

I like how in two episodes, the Thirteen's already used the Sonic more than Twelve did his entire run

Did you count times 12 used his sonic shades?

Also, it was probably a conscious effort to reduce how much the Doctor relied on his sonic since 11's was practically an extension of himself.

And he also might have been compensating for something, since Regeneration is a lottery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinylshadow posted:

<cough cough> sunglasses <COUGH>

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Hands-free" doesn't count

You can't compensate with your eyes, after all

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1052575314528952321

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He had to push the bridge to activate them!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

He had to push the bridge to activate them!

It still amounted to him glaring at everything, as is the proper way of things

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

qirex posted:

I was going to make a manic pixie dream doctor crack but then I realized that was pretty much Matt Smith's whole run.

Yeah :)

That's why I don't really get why anyone doesn't like her. This behavior is nothing new for Dr Who

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I just rewatched series 10 and drat it's still exemplary. Even the poor Extremis bits can be saved by Mackie, Capaldi and Lucas. Fantastic Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oxygen is an absolutely incredible episode that stands out even among the excellent front half of that season.