Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
dr who is always at its best when it's aggressively anticapitalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Plavski posted:

I just rewatched series 10 and drat it's still exemplary. Even the poor Extremis bits can be saved by Mackie, Capaldi and Lucas. Fantastic Who.

Even Bradley Walsh can't beat Matt Lucas in terms of "holy crap he's actually good at this!??"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DoctorWhat posted:

dr who is always at its best when it's aggressively anticapitalist

I wish the people in charge of star trek understood why the show works on a fundamental level like the Who revival does. Modern Who had every opportunity to descend into the trend of grimdark nihilism that engulfs modern sci-fi, and even when it's bad it nearly never does that. I guess the War Doctor stuff flirted with it, but it never came off as uncharacteristically dour.

More than ever, we need a hopeful, moral doctor. I don't think we'll ever see Luxury Space Communism in star trek again, but I have to hand it to Doctor Who for sticking to its roots like glue.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Matt Lucas was the biggest whiplash from “oh god this is going to be awful” to “one of the best parts of an already great season”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I guess the War Doctor stuff flirted with it, but it never came off as uncharacteristically dour.

I think it’s funny that the Doctor hides this bit of themself, as ‘the darkest I’ve ever been, and didn’t deserve to call myself the Doctor, etc’. Yet every time we’re shown the War Doctor in action, he’s literally just the Doctor being the Doctor, all twinkle in the eye and pulling a rabbit out of the hat at the last second. He’s just in an incredibly bad situation, an endless war across nearly all of space and time, with his own side proving themselves just as capable of being monsters as those they’re meant to fighting. And that’s going to make anyone serious and brooding, even the Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are we supposed to assume happened after the end of "Oxygen"? They go and put in a complaint to the head office and then... presumably the owner opens a trapdoor under them like Mr Burns or signals to the guards to take them away then gets back to their paperwork?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

HD DAD posted:

Matt Lucas was the biggest whiplash from “oh god this is going to be awful” to “one of the best parts of an already great season”

He's tied with Catherine Tate in that league for me tbh.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The_Doctor posted:

I think it’s funny that the Doctor hides this bit of themself, as ‘the darkest I’ve ever been, and didn’t deserve to call myself the Doctor, etc’. Yet every time we’re shown the War Doctor in action, he’s literally just the Doctor being the Doctor, all twinkle in the eye and pulling a rabbit out of the hat at the last second. He’s just in an incredibly bad situation, an endless war across nearly all of space and time, with his own side proving themselves just as capable of being monsters as those they’re meant to fighting. And that’s going to make anyone serious and brooding, even the Doctor.

The casting definitely didn't hurt either.

fake edit: pretend I made that pun on purpose

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SiKboy posted:

He's tied with Catherine Tate in that league for me tbh.

Donna rules.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are we supposed to assume happened after the end of "Oxygen"? They go and put in a complaint to the head office and then... presumably the owner opens a trapdoor under them like Mr Burns or signals to the guards to take them away then gets back to their paperwork?

the Doctor literally explains what happened afterwards from his historical knowledge

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welcome to Doctor Who, where fans will laugh and complain loudly when the show over explains things to them while also missing the things that get explained.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The_Doctor posted:

The show really copped out with that, the idea of a war criminal doctor was one of RTD's few good ideas and they backpedaled away from it so hard

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Soothing Vapors posted:

The show really copped out with that, the idea of a war criminal doctor was one of RTD's few good ideas and they backpedaled away from it so hard

Moffat's idea. :eng101:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Evil Doctor is still a great concept that I'd love to see more of on screen. Like, just handwave it that since the Doctor got a whole new life cycle it spit out the Valeyard somewhere.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Moffat's idea. :eng101:

The War Doctor was Moffat's idea, the idea that the Doctor destroyed Gallifrey to avert/end the Time War was Peter Anghelides's and Stephen Cole's Davies' idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

the Doctor literally explains what happened afterwards from his historical knowledge

Fair enough. I suppose it doesn't really matter; the future can be whatever they need it to be for the story.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I wish the people in charge of star trek understood why the show works on a fundamental level like the Who revival does. Modern Who had every opportunity to descend into the trend of grimdark nihilism that engulfs modern sci-fi, and even when it's bad it nearly never does that. I guess the War Doctor stuff flirted with it, but it never came off as uncharacteristically dour.

More than ever, we need a hopeful, moral doctor. I don't think we'll ever see Luxury Space Communism in star trek again, but I have to hand it to Doctor Who for sticking to its roots like glue.

They actually are making that Star Trek

...its called The Orville

Rhyno posted:

Donna rules.

I remember when Donna's run was actually airing and everyone seemed to hate* her except me.

*Not necessarily here, but just in general

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I started to love her about halfway through the season but I didn't realize how great she was until she was gone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked her from the interminable suitcase gag where she prepped the hell out of herself. "*Brandishing each suitcase* Hot weather, cold weather, No weather!"

also her misunderstanding of the Doctor's slang. "I just want... a mate." "You're not mating with me sunshine!" was a gag I found funny too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The excruciatingly long game of charades was just my sort of stupid.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

howe_sam posted:

One of my favorite Who scenes ever.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The Star Trek comparison brings to mind something that occurred to me yesterday. I suspect this season will be a lot like the Orville (if we were to pretend that it were an actual Star Trek property) - comfortable, pleasant, well-put-together episodes that tread familiar ground and don't push boundaries. Not that it's a bad thing in itself (most Big Finish could be described exactly that way), but I don't get the impression that this team will try something ambitious like "Heaven Sent" or even "Blink." I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, and the idea of a "holding pattern" period to distance the series from the excesses of the Moffat era isn't a bad one, but I don't foresee a lot of memorable episodes that tread new ground.

"Ghost Monument" showed one of Chibnall's major weaknesses that we've seen in previous episodes - he's bad at bringing the disparate story elements into a cohesive whole in the final act. Remember the people last week saying that they completely blank on the ending of "Power of Three?" This wasn't as egregious, but it was similarly dissatisfying. With all the time spent on the Doctor trying to solve the mystery of the planet, it never tied back into the race plot in any way way. I expected Art Malik to be using the race as cover to acquire the weapons for himself or something like that, since he was played as ab obvious villain. But no, he's just a guy who likes races and is a little bit of a jerk? Allowing the tie didn't fit at all with how the character had been established, nor did acquiescing to a threat from someone with zero power to carry it out. And all the buildup with the scientists was just to establish that the assholes last week were different-scale assholes? That almost felt like Moffat's tendency to add arc poo poo to other people's scripts, except this was all Chibnall.

I also started groaning at the amount of narrative agency given to the TARDIS itself. Hopefully this was a one-episode thing, but I really don't want the first female Doctor to play second-fiddle to her own ship. Maybe I'm over-reacting in anticipation of the "won't be able to drive the TARDIS" crowd, but the way it played out at the end felt... unfortunate.

And I'm surprised there was so much gun talk without anyone posting the definitive Doctor Who Gun Speech. This is probably the clearest it's been spelled out, but it's something that's been consistent. It's not that the Doctor is strictly anti-violence (although there is a fairly consistent set of principles in which it's considered acceptable), but they are anti-weapon. A weapon, as Seven says, has a single purpose. It takes the place of considered action, it's a substitute for thinking things through. Even the magic wand (at its worst) Sonic requires an awareness of the situation that a gun does not. It's what underpins the "A sonic what?" scene in "Empty Child."

Of course, Moffat especially had a problem of having "the Doctor doesn't use weapons, but I do" :smug: characters (especially River) undercutting the whole thing, but thankfully that wasn't an issue here. The problem was that Ryan let the gun present itself as a default solution to the problem, that the confidence in the weapon could easily have gotten him killed. We can argue about whether it's hypocritical, but I for one absolutely love that we get that attitude on screen somewhere. As a heathen American, I've seen the devastation that the Cult of the Gun can wreak on a psyche, how easily it can take the place of thinking, and worse, of empathy.

(EFB on the Orville, but make too big a post and you end up as toast.)

After The War fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 17, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

howe_sam posted:

What amused the hell out of me was that I understood what they were saying and I have no ability whatsoever to read lips

They're dorks and I love them

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

docbeard posted:

The War Doctor was Moffat's idea, the idea that the Doctor destroyed Gallifrey to avert/end the Time War was Peter Anghelides's and Stephen Cole's Davies' idea.

No, that was a completely different Time War. Don't be silly.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
You can definitely include me in the surprised about Catherine Tate camp. She was a real delight after three series where the companion was mooning over the doctor.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

When all of sci-fi, post 9-11 started asking "what if the morally unimpeachable characters had to do terrible things," I was actually quite relieved that the story of the war doctor ended with "no, you can find a way to do the right thing."

Deep Space Nine is my favorite Star Trek and it wrestles with those questions too, but Pale Moonlight aside, it also answers the "what if Star Trek couldn't solve problems the Star Trek way" with "gently caress you, we're still solving poo poo the Star Trek way."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Clouseau posted:

You can definitely include me in the surprised about Catherine Tate camp. She was a real delight after three series where the companion was mooning over the doctor.

I hated The Runaway Bride and I was just shocked to find that she was returning as the full-time companion, and then I loved her.

I'm imagining a Wilf-Donna-Nardole episode right now. There would be some good chemistry.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rhyno posted:

Donna rules.

She did, and words can barely express exactly how loving SHOCKED I was by that fact. If you gave me a straight choice between watching an episode of The Catherine Tate Show (or Little Britain) or spending half an hour hammering nails through my dick I'd have to think about it. And probably ask what size nails. And yet, Donna (and Nardole) were both excellent companions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

No, that was a completely different Time War. Don't be silly.

When the show came back and the Doctor started mentioning the Time War, and hinting how he'd destroyed his own people, the Wilderness Years fans went nuts.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I couldn't have imagined anything worse than a Catherine Tate doctor who. Then when I finally brought myself to watch those episodes I was distraught because there were no more of them. She was so good. Her and Pearl Mackie, companions gone before their time. But at least we got all those Clara seasons. Phew.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I had no idea who Catherine Tate was going in and I loved her

companions that don't buy the Doctor's bullshit are a delight

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

When the show came back and the Doctor started mentioning the Time War, and hinting how he'd destroyed his own people, the Wilderness Years fans went nuts.

I won't be happy until I get a a TV Doctor with season-long amnesia.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

After The War posted:

The Star Trek comparison brings to mind something that occurred to me yesterday. I suspect this season will be a lot like the Orville (if we were to pretend that it were an actual Star Trek property) - comfortable, pleasant, well-put-together episodes that tread familiar ground and don't push boundaries. Not that it's a bad thing in itself (most Big Finish could be described exactly that way), but I don't get the impression that this team will try something ambitious like "Heaven Sent" or even "Blink." I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, and the idea of a "holding pattern" period to distance the series from the excesses of the Moffat era isn't a bad one, but I don't foresee a lot of memorable episodes that tread new ground.

I hold pretty much the same opinion, and I'm completely delighted about it. I want a simple, throwback, straightforward season of Doctor loving Who. I want companions that are companions with stories, not magic schoolteachers that are also splintered throughout the doctor's timeline because of the time winds of trenzalore or some horseshit. I want rubber monsters and cliffhangers, and most of all I just want one show on television that does nothing other than celebrate being peaceful and smart instead of greedy and violent. In bright colors.

Next season we can talk about getting fancy with it, but Moffat spent the last two years getting way, way ahead of himself and tripping over his dick trying to be clever. We need a break.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d settle for a blanket ban on rhyming prophecies whispered by children.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

After The War posted:

"Ghost Monument" showed one of Chibnall's major weaknesses that we've seen in previous episodes - he's bad at bringing the disparate story elements into a cohesive whole in the final act. Remember the people last week saying that they completely blank on the ending of "Power of Three?" This wasn't as egregious, but it was similarly dissatisfying. With all the time spent on the Doctor trying to solve the mystery of the planet, it never tied back into the race plot in any way way. I expected Art Malik to be using the race as cover to acquire the weapons for himself or something like that, since he was played as ab obvious villain. But no, he's just a guy who likes races and is a little bit of a jerk? Allowing the tie didn't fit at all with how the character had been established, nor did acquiescing to a threat from someone with zero power to carry it out. And all the buildup with the scientists was just to establish that the assholes last week were different-scale assholes? That almost felt like Moffat's tendency to add arc poo poo to other people's scripts, except this was all Chibnall.

It is just remotely possible that we shouldn't believe everything that Mr. "my mother didn't catch me" had to say. From the point when the Doctor talked him into letting her help keep his ship from crashing, he'd been showing fractures in his "loner" facade.

It's also true that he was massively outnumbered, and I don't think he really understood the Doctor, so he could have calculated that the non-racers would stop him and throw the race to the other character unless he agreed to split the pot. They also played up the relationship between those two, not in the romantic sense, but in the sense that I thought they couldn't stand each other in a "but we've been through so much of the same poo poo" kind of way, not a genuinely loathing "I want you dead" kind of way. When he threatens to kill her later, he never seems genuinely threatening even before he's reminded that's against the rules.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What sticks out to me about the show in general, is it is often almost relentlessly hilariously dark. Major characters getting turned into cybermen or dying or other weird dark stuff happening to them, and then it not being undone etc. I think key characters becoming cybermen is one that ended up being overused. I don't know if spoilers are needed for older seasons, just in case.

I don't mind the show being less dark, if that's the case, but I do like a bit of unexpected consequences and weird dark stuff from time to time, makes the show feel less safe and more unpredictable if done well.

Haven't checked this season out yet, have the episodes ready to go, watch it with a friend. Looking forward to it though. I do like the Doctor to have a bit of edge a little bit, you know, like when Monkey D Luffy gets pissed off. You're like oh my, this is serious now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

What sticks out to me about the show in general, is it is often almost relentlessly hilariously dark. Major characters getting turned into cybermen or dying or other weird dark stuff happening to them, and then it not being undone etc. I think key characters becoming cybermen is one that ended up being overused. I don't know if spoilers are needed for older seasons, just in case.

I think that specific thing happened, what, twice in basically ten years? Though yeah, I miss companions just wandering off from the TARDIS into the next thing in their life rather than having some TRAGIC and HORRIBLE separation from the Doctor.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

docbeard posted:

I think that specific thing happened, what, twice in basically ten years? Though yeah, I miss companions just wandering off from the TARDIS into the next thing in their life rather than having some TRAGIC and HORRIBLE separation from the Doctor.

Yep it was twice, but still, to me it did feel overused. Something very specific and unusual and tragic happening and then the same beats again a few seasons later or whatever, to me it felt like okay you've used up this idea. There are infinite other weird tragic things they could do ha. But yeah tragic stuff happening to major characters seemed to happen a lot.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I hold pretty much the same opinion, and I'm completely delighted about it. I want a simple, throwback, straightforward season of Doctor loving Who. I want companions that are companions with stories, not magic schoolteachers that are also splintered throughout the doctor's timeline because of the time winds of trenzalore or some horseshit. I want rubber monsters and cliffhangers, and most of all I just want one show on television that does nothing other than celebrate being peaceful and smart instead of greedy and violent. In bright colors.

Next season we can talk about getting fancy with it, but Moffat spent the last two years getting way, way ahead of himself and tripping over his dick trying to be clever. We need a break.

This sums up my feelings exactly, and is part of the reason why I gave up on the show under Moffat, and why I've enjoyed Jodie's first two stories so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

docbeard posted:

Remember when Martha decided, gently caress, this is way too crazy and this relationship is unhealthy and left for her own adventures and that's the only time in 14 years someone has done that