Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Those peanuts need to come out of the business' pocket, not the cooks.

Please just shell out for a commercial waffle iron. It'll cost you as much as replacing two of those Cuisanarts and run for decades, with an added bonus of not stripping nonstick into the food. Vegelene's the stuff we used to use, looking it up it's the same as Waffle-off.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/carnival-king-wbs46-brussels-style-belgian-waffle-maker-with-timer-120v/382WBS46.html

Same, only when you need to melt an ounce of chocolate to pipe on something and gently caress cleaning a double boiler for that.

Just put it in a metal mixing bowl on a warm stove or over the pilot light or near a salamander or an oven or a dehydrator or over the line or over/near a pot that’s cooking something? poo poo, I could put it on the top of my high temp glassware washed and probably have a few oz melted by the time I ran two loads of glasses through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Just put it in a metal mixing bowl on a warm stove or over the pilot light or near a salamander or an oven or a dehydrator or over the line or over/near a pot that’s cooking something? poo poo, I could put it on the top of my high temp glassware washed and probably have a few oz melted by the time I ran two loads of glasses through.

His complaint was cleaning a bowl...

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pile of brown posted:

If you have a dirty bowl, just boil 32oz of coke with 1 cup salt, pour mixture back in to a to go cup (labeled with the date and your coworker’s name and no lid, natch) then hand bowl off to the dishwasher without saying anything. Clean as new!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

pile of brown posted:

... what would you be microwaving it in if not a bowl of some sort that would then need to be cleaned?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bakery. 1/2oz finely chopped 60% chocolate in a small microwave-safe measuring up at half power for 15-20 seconds, stir then scrape into paper twist for piping, snip end, done. Dishes take an additional 30 seconds.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Microwave is the best way to fry herbs tho
It's like the dunning kruger effect of microwaves. Kids use them for everything growing up, develop taste and realize they were doing it wrong and swear it off entirely, then eventually they have to make a fried basil garnish and get humbled by the microwave. It's good, you just need to understand it more than "it dries it out" to utilize it properly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, are you allowed to tell someone their "emotional support animal" is not allowed?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iospace posted:

Question, are you allowed to tell someone their "emotional support animal" is not allowed?

Check your local laws, but generally yes. Registered service animals are different than emotional support animals, and are protected by law under the Americans With Disabilities Act.

The ADA has specific requirements for what makes a service animal.

quote:

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

This definition does not affect or limit the broader definition of “assistance animal” under the Fair Housing Act or the broader definition of “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act.

Some State and local laws also define service animal more broadly than the ADA does. Information about such laws can be obtained from the State attorney general’s office.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Those peanuts need to come out of the business' pocket, not the cooks.

yeah, i'm not sure where i suggested otherwise?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, i'm not sure where i suggested otherwise?

You asked "what the gently caress?" And he's answering. His boss almost certainly gives no shits about him.

My boss cares more about getting cheap carpet over the fact that it's near leafy camouflage and we have irregular height stairs that people keep falling down/up.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Lmao who puts carpet in a restaurant.

Woof.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

LOL we were all set to close at 12 when 20 people come in and order all kinds of poo poo. I don't care because we're on fryers only this late but the poor bartender has had a rough day and was very much looking forward to getting done early.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

Under federal law, ESAs are only required to be allowed for tenants and in limited cases for air travel. As far as I know, Wisconsin laws don't recognize them in any other way, so, yes, you are allowed to boot someone who walks into your restaurant with a duck or some poo poo.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Timby posted:

Under federal law, ESAs are only required to be allowed for tenants and in limited cases for air travel. As far as I know, Wisconsin laws don't recognize them in any other way, so, yes, you are allowed to boot someone who walks into your restaurant with a duck or some poo poo.

ive heard peacocks and squirrels are the emotional support animals du jour

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Hauki posted:

ive heard peacocks and squirrels are the emotional support animals du jour

Because being shrieked at by a squirrel or listening to a peacock scream are so calming?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Back when I worked for a public library, we had a woman try to come in several times with her support parrot on her shoulder. What could possibly go wrong with a flying animal that could potentially perch on top of the shelves and poo poo on all the books?

Funny enough, the other odd support animal we had to deal with was a turtle. That one I maybe would've let slide, since it's not exactly gonna get away in a hurry, except that turtles are notorious salmonella vectors, far worse than undercooked chicken/raw eggs.

Thanks for reminding me of these stories, I'm crafting an A/T thread about weirdos in libraries and I'd forgotten about those two.

Fake edit: ah hell, speaking of food borne illnesses, I just remembered the homeless guy who was caught thawing shrimp in our bathroom sink. I mean, good on you for scoring some shrimp from wherever you did, dude, but a public library's restroom is the absolute last place you wanna defrost shellfish.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

We had a Federal Taphouse chain open up barely a year ago and it already has a manager who's been accused of embezzling $50K

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Plan Z posted:

We had a Federal Taphouse chain open up barely a year ago and it already has a manager who's been accused of embezzling $50K

He must be a bad manager; he should get enough customers to be able to embezzle way more.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

He must be a bad manager; he should get enough customers to be able to embezzle way more.

Same thing happened to that Quaker Steak that used to be in town.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I was supposed to be at work this morning at 5am. Set my usual phone alarm for 3:45. At some point I woke up and thought it unusual that I could hear my upstairs neighbor walking around; "why is she up so early?" But she's a nurse at a hospital, so my sleepy brain chalked it up to "eh, maybe someone called out and she's pulling graveyard shift."

Little while later, my husband nudges me awake and asks "hey sweetie, what time do you go in today?"
"Five."
"It's... light outside."

gently caress. It's 7:24. My ancient coal-powered phone occasionally does this thing where it doesn't make any noise, no ringer, no alarms, nothing. Since I have, like, zero friends, I don't notice this when it happens, because the only people who call me are robo calls. And my boss when I accidentally oversleep, I guess.

I instantly call my boss's cell; she doesn't pick up and I leave a voicemail saying my phone hosed up, I'll be in in half an hour. Then just to be on the safe side, I also call the store and tell the FOH person who answered to tell my boss I'm on my way.

Half an hour later, I come into the store panting from anxiety and running in the 39 degree weather. There's a POS right by the door, where we clock in, but before I can even hit the touch screen, boss barks "DONT CLOCK IN!"
I stop in my tracks.
"WHAT THE gently caress. YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE AT 5."
"I know, my phone alarm hosed up. I called you at 7:30, and you didn't pick up, so I called the front, and---"
"JUST GO HOME."
"But --- "
"GO HOME."

I don't think I'm fired, she's let people get away with much worse. It's also the only time I've ever overslept in the year that I've worked there. But just asking the thread's opinion in case she makes a stink about this:
I called, and I showed. Late, but I called and showed. I didn't pull a no-call/no-show, right?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You clearly did not abandon your job, which is the whole "fired for cause" thing attached to no-call-no-show.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You clearly did not abandon your job, which is the whole "fired for cause" thing attached to no-call-no-show.

Thanks, that's a bit of a comfort.

I'm mostly just pissed that she didn't even give me a chance to explain what happened. Swear on my mom's ashes, it was a legit phone alarm gently caress up. And hey, if they actually gave me a raise for being shift lead, maybe I could afford a phone that doesn't crap out like that!
Instead, I'm out a day's pay and on the boss's bad side. Grrrr.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I doubt you're on her bad side. Life happens, don't feel to bad about it friendo. <3

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

You're all good, she'll be annoyed but she'll get over it if this is the first time it's happened.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Either it's cool or your better off getting a different job. I'm not a model employee in any capacity and I've been forgiven for worse.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A free day off is a good excuse to check other kitchens.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
That sucks JD. But if you are a good loyal employee they will most likely keep you.

Just don’t bring up the incident again, and go on.

When I just straight up and said gently caress it and left both jobs and came back. I acted like nothing happened and was right back to work.

I might have been lucky on that though. Hope it works out for you.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

A Man and his Hog posted:

That sucks JD. But if you are a good loyal employee they will most likely keep you.

Just don’t bring up the incident again, and go on.

When I just straight up and said gently caress it and left both jobs and came back. I acted like nothing happened and was right back to work.

I might have been lucky on that though. Hope it works out for you.

yeah if this dude can no-call-no-show and come back with no problems you should be fine JD (not a dig AMahH)

I've seen people have spectacular blowouts and still come back to restaurants.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
This thread makes me think that my choice of going to a culinary school is an excellent life choice. Then again I'm not in freedom land so the business shouldn't be quite as hell world as it is across the pond.

Today I smoked some salmon and did a black currant ice cream. So far I'm loving this poo poo. Feel free to laugh at my optimism when I eventually turn into a burn out drunk.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
I got gifted $900 in my budget for kitchen supplies. I basically have everything but I am grabbing a few 6 pans and lids etc. Anyone got any suggestions for random useful poo poo?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hard to make suggestions without knowing anything about your place. Do you have any equipment that needs to be repaired/replaced?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Whenever I have extra money I buy spatulas, y peelers, microplanes, and benriner mandolines and stash them in my office until the inevitable time that the ones my staff use all get lost or broken

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ApolloSuna posted:

I got gifted $900 in my budget for kitchen supplies. I basically have everything but I am grabbing a few 6 pans and lids etc. Anyone got any suggestions for random useful poo poo?

Electric knife sharpener, at least, if you have generic/lovely/lame kitchen beater knives and people who don't bring/maintain their own

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I live to fight another day!

Came in on time today (actually rather early, to curry some goodwill), and not only was no mention made of my gently caress-up yesterday, but she pulled her Jeckyll/Hyde routine and gave me my own personal 7" Santoku and paring knife set "as an anniversary present". That's how she rolls, chews the whole kitchen out for something trivial, then feels bad, and runs to the grocery store next door to buy ice cream and root beer and makes us all floats. Sigh, you just gotta wait it out until the storm passes, with her.

But thanks for all the encouraging posts, I was seriously stressing over this yesterday.

So about these knives: they're nothing super fancy, but they're MINE. I don't want some of the new chucklefucks using and abusing them, and at least one other cook has an identical set. I don't have my own knife roll yet, and constantly get switched around stations, so what's the best way to label the handles? I have a Dremel, can I safely engrave my initials in a resin handle? Or I was thinking dots of nail polish, that shouldn't wash off? Looking for suggestions.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
I would just electrical tape a strip on the handle.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

ApolloSuna posted:

I would just electrical tape a strip on the handle.

Thought of that (as well as duck and gaff tape), but I'm thinking repeated washing in a day would quickly make it fall off and leave a sticky residue behind to boot. But thanks for the idea!

As for your question: if I had $900 to play with, I'll echo pile of brown's suggestion of lots of small implements and gadgets. That's the stuff that always gets lost/broken (I still wanna know where my favorite pair of fryer tongs are, dammit :mad:)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Etch your initials on the blade near the top of the knife near the handle

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

Etch your initials on the blade near the top of the knife near the handle

And/or on the handle.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes do the etching. And use the duck tape. I have Hello Kitty tape on mine. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

ApolloSuna posted:

A butter wheel