Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

David Hyde Pierce apparently likes the Mignolaverse because he did do a voice for The Amazing Screw-on Head, which deserved more than its pilot.

Yeah the amazing screw on head ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you want to see David Hyde Pierce in a very different role check out this movie The Perfect Host. It's a pretty solid movie but it's mostly a showcase for Pierce to act like a psycho

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Frasier dude is cool with me. We had a Frasier appreciation thread in TGRS for awhile iirc.

My favorite thing about it though is the tight writing. When I was 12 or so I would download the scripts and deconstruct them. Wannabe Screenwriter Kid KM was so cute and ambitious. :3:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

food court bailiff posted:

You post this idiotic hot take every time Frasier comes up in any thread as if Mel wasn't a conniving manipulator who talked Niles into multiple unnecessary cosmetic surgeries and violates HIPAA several times in her introductory episode.

Oh thank god I was sure I’d read that exact post verbatim and was wondering if I’d gone insane.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

:corsair: I remember watching Fridays, dimly, since I was generally baked.

Besides Michael Richards "# 1 with a bullet" "gag", I recall a couple of other bits.

One was a skit about two guys who were transphibians, wearing prosthetic grills and big eyes. They just spent five minutes asking to be understood and accepted, but were treated as creepy weirdos.

Another was an African explorer bit where the token black guy on the cast asks a white guy in a pith helmet:

"What island is this?"
"The Island of Yumama"
"Say what? "
Tedious reaches for edgy racial humor follow.

Pretty much everyone agreed the show was feeble and if you didn't have HBO, the only thing on Fridays after the news.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Push El Burrito posted:

Let's just all agree his best role was in Wet Hot American Summer.

exquisite tea posted:

That’s true for most of the WHAS cast really.

:hai:

Archer and Leslie Knope are exceptions to prove the rule.

But if we bring it to TV and the Netflix WHAS, then that's probably the best H. Jon Benjamin live action role.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

You post this idiotic hot take every time Frasier comes up in any thread as if Mel wasn't a conniving manipulator who talked Niles into multiple unnecessary cosmetic surgeries and violates HIPAA several times in her introductory episode.

Ah yes, violating HIPAA. That tried and true sitcom "bad guy" trope. And Niles chose to get the surgeries as a way to get close to her because he didn't have the courage to ask her out. Frasier even points this exact thing out to him. If you want we can rewatch the show together. Seems like you're remembering things wrong.

edit:
Yeah, on a reread it came off a lot more mean and unironic than intended. I'll still invite you to watch the show again. Getting a bunch of goons to have rewatch might be fun.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Oct 18, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ah yes, violating HIPAA. That tried and true sitcom "bad guy" trope.
So they can't have been painting her as an unpleasant person because the way they did so wasn't cliched? I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

But I get it, you don't like Mel. I guess strong accomplished independent women aren't your thing. My heart feels for you food court bailiff, and you have my pity.

This is a loving insane thing to say in response to someone disagreeing with your opinion about a TV character.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ariong posted:

This is a loving insane thing to say in response to someone disagreeing with your opinion about a TV character.

Eh, it was meant to be absurdist. I'm not as good of a writer as they had on Frasier.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think they probably had more than one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You will rue the day

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Some actors just play terrible people really good.

Then there are actors like Jack Gleeson who have to retire because they play villains so well random people are assaulting them in the streets.

Attacking people is never cool but I admit I'm kinda amused at the idea of somebody doing it because they think GoT was a documentary and couldn't understand how Joff came back to life.

Also, I knew he retired because he's probably got gently caress off money now but I thought it was because he was tired of it/didn't want to be pigeonholed into roles, you got a link for the assaults?
e: someone addressed this, i left the tab open

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I hate Ross so much but almost everyone in Friends is terrible. Comedy Central in Ireland (and probably UK) shows it on a loop 24 hours a day. It's horrible. I used to like it and watch it when I was younger but now everything seems so dated and even more horrible than I remember it being.

Why does it feel dated to you? I just did a rewatch of Seinfeld recently and, technology and fashions (can't decide which dates it more, tbh) aside, it still feels really, really modern. Like it almost feels like it's a "90s nostalgia sitcom" that's currently still in production. I don't know if it's the writing, camera-crap, whatever.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Wasn't there an episode where the reverend dad looks under his? another? kids bed and he finds like a machete and grenades, lmao. This was the kid who was troubled because he listened to rock and roll or some crap. That show had some great satanic panic-type episodes.

It's hard to believe Frank Reynold's was the better father.

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Oct 18, 2018

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My mom and sister loved 7th Heaven, and I remember them having the worst musical episode ever. Musical episodes in the first place are probably super hard to pull off well, but theirs would be in competition for outright worst.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Calaveron posted:

You will rue the day

fun fact: he only ever said that once on frasier

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

somepartsareme posted:

fun fact: he only ever said that once on frasier

I don’t care, Niles' gotta have it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bobjr posted:

My mom and sister loved 7th Heaven, and I remember them having the worst musical episode ever. Musical episodes in the first place are probably super hard to pull off well, but theirs would be in competition for outright worst.

Was Buffy the start of the bad late 90s musical episode trend, or did it start somewhere else?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Arivia posted:

Was Buffy the start of the bad late 90s musical episode trend, or did it start somewhere else?

Daria had one if I remember correctly.

Eta: The Daria one aired in 1999, the Buffy one aired in 2001.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ally McBeal had one in 1999, and the Simpsons did a clip show / musical episode in 1998. And I doubt either of those were the first.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

They tried a whole tv show in the 80s. https://youtu.be/HPk966PuQNE

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

They dubbed over the actors voice with Niles for the movie. I heard David Hyde Pierce thought it was stupid as the actor sounded almost the same & I think DHP didn't return to voice him in HellBoy 2

E: well poo poo

The story is, Pierce asked to listen to the original line readings so he'd have a baseline, and he was confused because Doug Jones' performance was perfectly fine and asked "Why am I here?" He tried to hew closely to Jones' readings, refused screen credit, didn't do any publicity. It was a stand up move.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

rodbeard posted:

They tried a whole tv show in the 80s. https://youtu.be/HPk966PuQNE

I was going to say, big deal there's a musical show now, but this is uh....spectacularly terrible. Wow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Musical episodes are great. :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the better shows are the ones with exactly one song per episode. Or more or less.

The secret is a fuckload of band and theatre geeks and Broadway diehards go on to make TV shows.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Musical episodes are great. :colbert:

Yes, everyone singing annoyingly for no reason is fun.

(Musical episodes are only good for people who love musicals. If a show I liked had a musical ep, I would straight up skip it. Musicals annoy me to no end. The singing always takes me out of the story.)

Edit: (if it had a decent story to start with. Most musicals don't.)

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Oct 18, 2018

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Maxwell Lord posted:

The story is, Pierce asked to listen to the original line readings so he'd have a baseline, and he was confused because Doug Jones' performance was perfectly fine and asked "Why am I here?" He tried to hew closely to Jones' readings, refused screen credit, didn't do any publicity. It was a stand up move.

This is why Lily Tomlin wasn't Edna Mode in "The Incredibles": she heard Brad Bird do the voice and said "what do you need me for?"

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
The fact that most of the main cast of Buffy can't sing really didn't help sell it for me.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of the better shows are the ones with exactly one song per episode. Or more or less.

The secret is a fuckload of band and theatre geeks and Broadway diehards go on to make TV shows.

Bob's Burgers has at least one song every show and it's perfect.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Bob's Burgers has at least one song every show and it's perfect.

You know, I just mentioned upthread that I dislike musicals, but I actually like the Bob's Burgers songs. They add instead of distracting. An exception for everything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Great Metal Jesus posted:

The fact that most of the main cast of Buffy can't sing really didn't help sell it for me.

At least they covered for that. "I think this line's mostly filler"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EvilGenius posted:

Do you think the producers told her to never wear a bra, or was it her decision?

I... suppose it didn't start any puberty in me because I don't remember anything like that.

DicktheCat posted:

Yes, everyone singing annoyingly for no reason is fun.

(Musical episodes are only good for people who love musicals. If a show I liked had a musical ep, I would straight up skip it. Musicals annoy me to no end. The singing always takes me out of the story.)

Edit: (if it had a decent story to start with. Most musicals don't.)

It's actually nice when done well, does take a bit of getting used to. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend pulls it off, the one in Buffy worked, the Daria one didn't really do it for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I haven't seen it all yet but I think a moment in Crazy Ex Girlfriend that worked fairly well was her pole dancing on the party bus, because a lot of the songs are mostly in her head so you assume that this is another of those sequences, then in the aftermath you realise that no, she actually did that and it's like "Shiiiiiiiit...."

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

purple death ray posted:

If you want to see David Hyde Pierce in a very different role check out this movie The Perfect Host. It's a pretty solid movie but it's mostly a showcase for Pierce to act like a psycho

I disagree strongly with this--watch The Perfect Host if you want to see David Hyde Pierce play the exact same role but, like, in a Halloween episode of Frasier where Niles Crane goes insane.

(It's actually been a long time since I've seen TPH but that's how I remember it. :3:)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

I haven't seen it all yet but I think a moment in Crazy Ex Girlfriend that worked fairly well was her pole dancing on the party bus, because a lot of the songs are mostly in her head so you assume that this is another of those sequences, then in the aftermath you realise that no, she actually did that and it's like "Shiiiiiiiit...."

It's a fine balance between her (and then others`) interpretation of things that are really going on, and commentary on the same things. Clearly I'm a Good Person isn't entirely what's going on in her head, what with other people's reactions. There's always an ironic undertone that serves as kind of like a Greek choir.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I also like that she isn't just generally crazy as a descriptor, she genuinely has a lot of issues that are causing her problems in her life. I like when the bartender reads her and Josh the riot act and is just like "Wow, you are both terrible people aren't you? Well you too clusterfucks have fun because you deserve each other and not in a good way..."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's surprisingly good on mental illness and many other things. One last season to go...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really need to pick up on that show.

I haven't seen the whole thing but the Scrubs musical episode seemed to do it pretty well. I think it depends on whether the cast actually has singing chops and whether they know to play to their strengths. (there's a reason a lot of shows that have regular singing parts have a different singing voice for characters. Sometimes this can get obvious. Recess made a joke about how Mikey's singing voice sounds completely different from his regular one)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really need to pick up on that show.

I'm gonna get around to continuing watching it soon, I just never got around to continuing after the episode with the song "You Stupid Bitch"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm gonna get around to continuing watching it soon, I just never got around to continuing after the episode with the song "You Stupid Bitch"

It gets even better, but also heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Just a few years before the Buffy musical episode, Xena had one (maybe two by that point). I think even the Hercules show did a bit of a musical number episode at some point, too.

At the time, the Xena musical episode seemed to have a LOT of attention put on it as a pretty out there thing.

I don't know if Herc/Xena aged poorly, but I will always think that a lot of Xena's pop culture status waned when Buffy came out and became such a mainstream/cult character. That's a thing that I think is sort of strange because a lot of what Buffy was famous for sort of trailblazing, it felt like Xena was doing first around the same time in a B5/DS9 sort of way.