Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The real twist is that the Great War was actually a limited skirmish, but the USA got turbofucked by a vault full of psychopaths from West Virginia who found a nuclear stockpile so big they bombed the country back into the Stone Age on their quest for adhesives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Twincityhacker posted:

I looked at the gameplay videos that got put out a week ago, and I thought it looked cool.

So just to be on the safe side, I've read all the posts here, and the latest bug reports... and I'm still getting it because it looks fun.

I've spent about 1000 hours between 3/NV/4 stomping around the place and it looks like I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of this too.

I am a bit sad still that I can't mod it, but I think I'll live. And have a underwhelming night sky, but I'll live.

:hfive: That's where I'm at too. Can't wait until the 30th so I can spend as much of my free time as they'll let me playing this silly game.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The real twist is that the Great War was actually a limited skirmish, but the USA got turbofucked by a vault full of psychopaths from West Virginia who found a nuclear stockpile so big they bombed the country back into the Stone Age on their quest for adhesives.

I would totally be down with that kind of retcon! I always thought something like that would be really fitting for a world like Fallout's. Would be even better if the rest of the world was getting back to some semblance of normal around 2350 while the US was just constantly getting worse from morons hurling nukes around to settle petty squabbles and land disputes.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

deathbagel posted:

:hfive: That's where I'm at too. Can't wait until the 30th so I can spend as much of my free time as they'll let me playing this silly game.

The servers will be down for the first 48 hours, game breaking bugs will prevent you from enjoying the game for at least a week and your friends will abandon you.

I can predict the FUTURE!

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Ok so I'm considering getting this, I currently play ESO and it's endgame is complete poo poo.

Quick question though, so I assume no regional pricing like other Bethesda games?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The first version of minecraft multiplayer had ridiculous huge bugs* and was still playable.

I have played a indie game that was disconnecting from the server every 9 seconds and it was still fun (the game was like space engineer, but made in java and more hardcore).**

If a sanbox game is fun, bugs can be tolerated has another “enviromental danger”

Edit:
furnaces not working properly or not working
no mobs
durability status is lost by dropping a item to the floor
dupe bugs

** Found it:
StarMade
https://alternativeto.net/software/starmade/

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 18, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The difference is Fallout 76 releases in a month.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello my friends. I know some of us like the lore of these games (and it is rich and there is much) and that some people think that people caring about it is wrong.

By all means think that if you must, but this is ostensibly a thread about the game and the game's backstory/details are a part of that so people will want to discuss it and wonder about timelines and such.

Bethesda may not be as stricken to the rules as some other companies and this may lead to disagreements and confusion about how the timelines match up. If the discussion leads to slapfighting, then please report and we will do something. However if it is rather benign and you just do not want to hear about it, there is no need to start any kinds of fights.

It will be easier to discuss this stuff once the game is released and people understand the storyline of it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Video Graves posted:

Hello my friends. I know some of us like the lore of these games (and it is rich and there is much) and that some people think that people caring about it is wrong.

By all means think that if you must, but this is ostensibly a thread about the game and the game's backstory/details are a part of that so people will want to discuss it and wonder about timelines and such.

Bethesda may not be as stricken to the rules as some other companies and this may lead to disagreements and confusion about how the timelines match up. If the discussion leads to slapfighting, then please report and we will do something. However if it is rather benign and you just do not want to hear about it, there is no need to start any kinds of fights.

It will be easier to discuss this stuff once the game is released and people understand the storyline of it.

VG is a good mod. :glomp:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I would totally be down with that kind of retcon! I always thought something like that would be really fitting for a world like Fallout's. Would be even better if the rest of the world was getting back to some semblance of normal around 2350 while the US was just constantly getting worse from morons hurling nukes around to settle petty squabbles and land disputes.
Toronto (now Ronto) long since had its poo poo together by 2277 to the point where people as far as the Pitt have heard about it and there have been several high-profile postwar Canadian immigrants in the NCR

It seems to be a bit of a subtle joke that Canada is doing way better

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 18, 2018

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Was reading some timeline about Canada

quote:

February 15 2075: The House of Representatives and Congress both voted unanimously to impeach the President for jaywalking.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey is it possible that we'll see both Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 come out between Elder Scrolls titles?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So, what you're saying is Maxson is going to end up being murdered by his neglected son that he's ashamed of because of the circumstances of that son's birth?

That must have been part of the content involving Danse that got cut out, because in this analogy Danse is a spot on parallel for Mordred.

Yes, actually. There's some unused dialogue that suggests at one point you were able to convince Danse to 1v1 Maxson for leadership. No surviving code scripts to it, but it's turned on in e.g. this mod.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

The servers will be down for the first 48 hours, game breaking bugs will prevent you from enjoying the game for at least a week and your friends will abandon you.

I can predict the FUTURE!

Hence my statement of "as much of my free time as they'll let me." I have no illusions friend!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/GeekStoredotcom/status/1052185058449248256

the lovable pip boy is up to his tricks again!!!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

mormonpartyboat posted:

the lovable pip boy is up to his tricks again!!!

The "Pip boy" is actually the mascot for the computers of the same name. He had pointy ears and is dressed in yellow and red. The "Vault boy" is the mascot for Vault-Tec seen in the animations for perks and Vault-Tec marketing material.

Pip boy:

Vault boy:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am over-exposed to vault boy, to a point I am starting to despite him.

Heres the handsome face of Mr. House.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
By the way, speaking of Bethesda and lore, the Pip-boy mascot is present in Fallout 76! It's on the new Pip-Boy 2000 Mark VI!

https://i.imgur.com/K8LgTsg.jpg

There's a lot that I don't find super-cool about the new game, but I'm really enjoying the blend of new and old stuff in terms of art direction.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1052956273971478533?s=19

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I... .thought there were no other NPCs in Fallout 76? Human NPCs at least.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Hoping 76 flops honestly because it'll probably make Zenimax stop making Fallout games. Can't stand the stupid poo poo they've done to the series, especially after getting a taste of how a modern Fallout would look in the hands of a studio that isn't run by people who don't seem to understand what a RPG is.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In one of the videos from the f76 retreat a YouTuber was doing a quest near the Top of the World. During this quest someone was talking to them and giving them direction on what to do and how she could see what they were doing.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I think there are just no NPCs that you can actually see. There might be some locked in a vault or some other inaccessible area.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So there are human NPCs, but they're conveniently out of reach or dead by the time you meet them

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Vinylshadow posted:

So there are human NPCs, but they're conveniently out of reach or dead by the time you meet them

Or go hostile when you make eye contact, can't forget that option!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm seeing people claim this is a player's RP story, so there probably won't be raiders.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

could she be the pip boy, that elusive rapscallion?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

i loving love this little fallout boy

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

By the way, speaking of Bethesda and lore, the Pip-boy mascot is present in Fallout 76! It's on the new Pip-Boy 2000 Mark VI!

https://i.imgur.com/K8LgTsg.jpg

There's a lot that I don't find super-cool about the new game, but I'm really enjoying the blend of new and old stuff in terms of art direction.

That's really cool!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Is that the pipboy from the old fallout games? Pretty neat find!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
One of the videos I watched had someone in the area of that place and someone seemed to be screaming at them on the radio to fix something. So my money is on there being living NPCs who are out of reach and only communicating by radio, while this tweet is promotional material serving to confuse everyone since Bethesda wants NPCs but doesn't want NPC models other than robots.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

OH right its not called the pipboy its the vault boy. So that is what mormonpartyboat was getting at.

I am also starting to get tired of seeing that little fucker everywhere as well.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
At least he's not claptrap.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Prophecy120 posted:

BoS confirmed on Facebook.

So, what, a bunch of troops in Appalachia decided to listen to a bunch of deserters, and also decided that they too wanted to be a part of a quasi-feudalistic caste society instead of a normal military hierarchy they're used to? God, the absolute dreck that Bethesda puts out. You know this decision is definitely because there's some checklist that corporate shits in Zenimax put out that says you HAVE to have super mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel, and Vault Boy or else Johnny Q. Gamer will not be able to understand that this is a Fallout game because executives are disgusting parasites who think everyone is as loving stupid as they are.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wrr posted:

OH right its not called the pipboy its the vault boy. So that is what mormonpartyboat was getting at.

I am also starting to get tired of seeing that little fucker everywhere as well.
just wait till you see him in smash

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

At least he's not claptrap.

A Glenn Quebec post I approve of.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

So, what, a bunch of troops in Appalachia decided to listen to a bunch of deserters, and also decided that they too wanted to be a part of a quasi-feudalistic caste society instead of a normal military hierarchy they're used to? God, the absolute dreck that Bethesda puts out. You know this decision is definitely because there's some checklist that corporate shits in Zenimax put out that says you HAVE to have super mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel, and Vault Boy or else Johnny Q. Gamer will not be able to understand that this is a Fallout game because executives are disgusting parasites who think everyone is as loving stupid as they are.

:capitalism:

To be fair, Johnny Q Gamer is pretty loving dense.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

SwitchbladeKult posted:

:capitalism:

To be fair, Johnny Q Gamer is pretty loving dense.

Yeah but he's so dense that he likes a game so long as everyone else tells him it's good - how do you think he ended up playing FO in the first place?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

So, what, a bunch of troops in Appalachia decided to listen to a bunch of deserters, and also decided that they too wanted to be a part of a quasi-feudalistic caste society instead of a normal military hierarchy they're used to?
Perhaps Maxon knew someone based in West Virginia, and they respected him and had authority over others.

Maybe Maxon was in communication with a non-military group and rewarded them with codes to a military cache when they proved themselves worthy.

Maybe some people like the Brotherhood of Steel aesthetic*, and this is a good faith effort to cater to those kinds of fans. Some people just want to dress up in familiar outfits and run around the wasteland. That doesn't seem like a huge deal.

If you're not champing at the bit to find something to hate this is the most insignificant thing for a really benign end that will make some people who like familiar things happy. The crime you're railing against of shoehorning everything in for recognition was committed all the way back in Fallout 3 in a way more overt and impactful way. It's been 10 years. It might be worth getting over eventually.

*Personally, I am not one of those people. Brotherhood of Steel is lame. But getting bent out of shape at perceived slights against continuity is lamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The BoS being in this game is dumb.