Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

@ rope kid make this into a plotline in game 3 please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, you can rationalize why everything that happens at sea only affects you positively, but the fact is that it reinforces sea being a very optional minigame that can give you additional benefits and that's it. If you're bad at it then just replenish resources from time to time for a small fee and you can ignore the rest. If you're great at it you just get more money. It's a very simplistic system added to a deep game with complex reputation system.

From what I gather, they didn't have the time theyd like to make sailing more than simple. So I think it's fair that it doesn't impact much else since it no doubt does not grab some players attention.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Question about PoE1, not sure if this is the right place to ask...

I'm new to this kind of RPG and right after the first cave, before getting to the Gilded Vale, there is a zone with a cave with a bear and as a solo lvl2-3 character, I get utterly destroyed, same with a bandit camp in the open zone. Am I just bad? Or did I miss a zone to level up or is it meant to be dealt with later?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, unless you're a very good player that knows how to properly build a character, you shouldn't go out of Gilded Vale until you have at least a party of 3.

So, no, you are not bad.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

trapt posted:

I'm new to this kind of RPG and right after the first cave, before getting to the Gilded Vale, there is a zone with a cave with a bear and as a solo lvl2-3 character, I get utterly destroyed, same with a bandit camp in the open zone. Am I just bad? Or did I miss a zone to level up or is it meant to be dealt with later?

That's a hard fight if you're not some very specific classes. I always head to town to pick up a companion or two and come back to it. Disclaimer: I might also be bad

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

trapt posted:

The bear is mostly meant to be dealt with later. The bandits can definitely be a challenge depending on build(few builds are strong at level 2)

You get at least one party member in Gilded Vale. 2 characters, and however many adventurers you can afford.

Both encounters do affect little quests in Gilded Vale though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

trapt posted:

The bear is there to teach the harsh lesson of backtracking

Go to town, get some friends, come back. It is dangerous to go alone.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Thanks everybody!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

From the new patch notes (beta branch), this is pretty cool:

quote:

Spell Shaping
Spell shaping is available for the Wizard, Druid, Priest, and Chanter classes! This passive ability allows for spell casters to adjust certain AoE spell radii to increase the power level or area that the spell can reach!

Also new Mega Ooze Boss.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DrPop posted:

From the new patch notes (beta branch), this is pretty cool:

Also new Mega Ooze Boss.

Oh gently caress yes that's really cool!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Beta patch is actually live now. Eager to hear reports on the new Mega-boss, Spell Shaping and all the other cool features.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
is the enchant feature new (and by new I mean not in at release) because i got pretty far in the game when it came out and don't remember it at ALL

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vhak lord of hate posted:

is the enchant feature new (and by new I mean not in at release) because i got pretty far in the game when it came out and don't remember it at ALL

The Enchantment UI was completely redone right around when Beast of Winter came out. It was much more confusing / less clear at launch but it was still there.

edit: I'm going to get gooped on tonight for an hour or two by this new boss.

Also noticed the Brilliant Inspiration has been nerfed to regen class resources every 6 seconds, up from 3 seconds. So that will make some strategies harder.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m finding the combat in this brutally hard early on. I’m at level 5 on POTD, and I have no chance in Neketaka trying to fight the Sealed Fate or other early quest encounters. It just seems like enemy defenses are dramatically higher than my accuracy for everyone, while they have no issue criting me. Ostensibly the quest levels are “easy” difficulty too, which adds insult to injury. I beat Pillars 1 on POTD, I’m playing a monk/rogue, but it doesn’t matter when I’ve got basic gear and no ability to control encounters since everything in Deadfire seems to be open. I already had to bail on the dig site skeleton area because I couldn’t hurt them at all.

Am I just supposed to do some ship combat to get better gear and abilities, and skip any actual combat when trying to play on POTD?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
PotD is supposed to be extremely difficult especially for new players. That said, travel around Neketaka and talk to people, you can get up to level 8 or so with almost no combat just by completing noncombat quests.

edit: anyway some tips

1) make sure you have one guy each with each of the modals that reduce enemy defenses (mace, morningstar, flail, maybe pike?)

2) crowd control is less effective across the board than in poe 1 and it's more about buffing and debuffing and counter-buffing

3) it's generally a good idea to multiclass most physical damage classes; try to have at least one character multiclass with chanter; really only a few narrow classes are optimal as single classes (monks, wizards).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 19, 2018

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'd guess the primary issue is you need to take advantage of rest bonuses more and give somebody mace proficiency to crack open tougher enemies. I can't remember if I tried many of the fights in Neketaka at level 5 but you can do most of them at level 6-7, the big exceptions being the old city and the crypt (oh boy gently caress the crypt).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
In both Poe1 and Poe2 the difficulty on POTD is at its highest from levels like 1-10. You'll need to be clever with positioning and correctly target enemy weaknesses to have success.

Once you get a few levels and some good gear it gets easier outside of a few tough encounters.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Velius posted:

I’m finding the combat in this brutally hard early on. I’m at level 5 on POTD, and I have no chance in Neketaka trying to fight the Sealed Fate or other early quest encounters. It just seems like enemy defenses are dramatically higher than my accuracy for everyone, while they have no issue criting me. Ostensibly the quest levels are “easy” difficulty too, which adds insult to injury. I beat Pillars 1 on POTD, I’m playing a monk/rogue, but it doesn’t matter when I’ve got basic gear and no ability to control encounters since everything in Deadfire seems to be open. I already had to bail on the dig site skeleton area because I couldn’t hurt them at all.

Am I just supposed to do some ship combat to get better gear and abilities, and skip any actual combat when trying to play on POTD?

You should probably try some of the ship and Abocco bounties or non combat quests until you get more gear and levels (even with scaling so you can advance your build). The problem may also be your builds, so respecs or even custom characters may help. Then there’s potions, party comp, summons, and scrolls. If you haven’t, make sure you advance the main story to where you have to leave Nekataka. As for the sealed fate quest: IIRC its possible to solve without combat which you may want to consider just to get past it, even if it’s not the desired outcome.

For what it’s worth, I find POTD in deadfire way easier than the original, which I never beat on POTD, so if you can do it in POE I think you can definitely do it in deadfire.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Two questions: what spells give the Brilliant inspiration now?

Also, my previous games have been on Veteran but other than a handful of fights I could sleepwalk through most fights (notable exceptions include the dragon fights, kraken, pit of the dig site, final boss, some ship fights). I'm thinking of going POTD for my next one but I really don't wanna get stuck on fights that are super difficult, especially much later on (thinking late game bosses and SSS). How much of a jump in difficulty is it? Will I need to prep a lot more food and precombat things? Fwiw I almost never used potions and scrolls except for the tough fights I mentioned before.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ciphers have a Brilliant inspiration and I think Chanters too.

The main difference between PotD and veteran in the first game was that you had to understand positioning, crowd control and buffing/debuffing.

In the second game it's pretty much the same but crowd control and positioning are less universally effective so it's even more about buffing/debuffing, and consumables start getting REALLY useful.

The biggest difficulty spike on POTD is early levels, not late game. Late game you have lots more tools and buffs available to overcome the stat penalty from POTD, early game you're just facing a naked deficit with few tools to adjust it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ciphers have a Brilliant inspiration and I think Chanters too.

The main difference between PotD and veteran in the first game was that you had to understand positioning, crowd control and buffing/debuffing.

In the second game it's pretty much the same but crowd control and positioning are less universally effective so it's even more about buffing/debuffing, and consumables start getting REALLY useful.

The biggest difficulty spike on POTD is early levels, not late game. Late game you have lots more tools and buffs available to overcome the stat penalty from POTD, early game you're just facing a naked deficit with few tools to adjust it.

Thanks for the answers. Do you remember what PL chanters get it at? Gonna hybrid it.

As for the POTD stuff that's good to know about late game. I'm just worried that I'll have to prep for every fight but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll look up some rough guides to see if it's for me as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Miftan posted:

Thanks for the answers. Do you remember what PL chanters get it at? Gonna hybrid it.

I might be wrong on that -- it might be ciphers only now. I'm a few patches out of date at the moment.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Berath’s Blessings also make a big difference. My first POTD play through was with full Berath’s Blessings (before SSS) and I found levels 1-10 easier than Veteran without.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Starks posted:

Berath’s Blessings also make a big difference. My first POTD play through was with full Berath’s Blessings (before SSS) and I found levels 1-10 easier than Veteran without.

Noted!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

As for the POTD stuff that's good to know about late game. I'm just worried that I'll have to prep for every fight but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll look up some rough guides to see if it's for me as well.

Chanters don't get the Brilliant inspiration. They get a level 9 invocation that operates like a weaker (but aoe) version of it. It restores +1 of class resources in a cone. Hybrid Chanters won't get that.

Ciphers get Ancestor's Memory as a 7th tier ability so they will get it even if multiclassed.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I've gotta be honest I've paid very little attention to buffs and debuffd in my veteran playthroughs, so I think this will change my play style significantly. Especially since I'm planning on making Aloth a spellblade.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Version 3.1 will allow you to upload your player character and hirelings to the Steam Workshop! Download someone else's player character as a template for character creation, or hire on your own previous PC as a party member!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was so excited I guess I hit post twice :downs:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Ooze boss is giving me flashbacks to when I watched Creepshow 2 wayyy too young.

Going to need to kit out my party extremely specifically here.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
I just finished the first game and I have one question, dose the twist at the end matter at all?

Overall I enjoyed the game, it got great characters and small scale stories and l liked almost all of the companions, except Durance who I intentionally let burn himself and Grieving Mother who spouted cryptic nonsense but at least wanted to help the children I think? But the main campaign suffered from a weak villain who never grabbed me and the whole starting a riot that end of act 2 just served to piss me off as it didnt matter in the end and yet felt like I was being punished for going forward with the story.

Also RTwP is just a bad system and hearing that they put gambits in the sequel is real encouraging. Thats the only reason FF12 is as playable as it is.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The twist at the end is very important for 2's plot. 2 is also much better than 1 in basically every way so if you liked 1 despite its flaws definitely keep going.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It depends what you mean by "matter", the main character's knowledge of it doesn't really influence much of what goes on in the sequel. Whether it should make a difference to the status quo of the setting is something the sequel concerns itself with a bit more

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Thats good to hear, how is the combat in the sequel ? Did they improve the UI so that its not so tiny? Really the story flaws I can handle but the playing the game felt like juggling 5 awkward shapes at once also did they give martial classes, besides rogue, fun abilities because thats a problem in the game. Also wizards were way too versatile, even if I did like Aloth.

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 19, 2018

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Ravenfood posted:

If you all don't immediately activate the Blessing that gives Eder a pet slot, you're dead to me.

WHAT

*immediately starts new playthru*

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

dbzfandiego posted:

Thats good to hear, how is the combat in the sequel ? Did they improve the UI so that its not so tiny? Really the story flaws I can handle but the playing the game felt like juggling 5 awkward shapes at once also did they give martial classes, besides rogue, fun abilities because thats a problem in the game. Also wizards were way too versatile, even if I did like Aloth.

I like it better. It's a bit faster feeling, and they purposefully designed it with a goal of not having encounters that feel like padding (looking at you wolves). The visuals are more clear, both combat effects and ui. I'm not sure about size exactly, but the ui is definitely more clear and centralized.
They kind of both gave more actives to martials and limited the per combat versatility of magic classes. They're still very versatile build wise, but you can't just fill a spell book with all the good spells and do everything whenever like in 1.
They also streamlined buffing/debuffing so it's easier to grasp but still requires a fair bit of knowledge to master.
In addition, I'd say that reducing the party size means that every character feels integral to your fights.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Combat is way better, largely due to having a super-slow option and a 5-person party. I don't like the switch to per-encounter abilities but it is what it is. There's also an increased focus on mobility, just about every class gets a teleport-equivalent of some kind, like rogue's Escape

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I don't like the switch to per-encounter abilities but it is what it is.
Per Rest works if you have standardized idea of how many fights are going to happen in between rests, like in 4th edition D&D. How they did it in PoE1 was not ideal it felt like you were supposed to rest before or after every "big" encounter but what those were wasnt always apparent. In JRPGs they just give you mana bars and ask you to manage until you can get back to town, like in basic D&D, cant? go get more items/strategize/avoid/grind until you can. PoE1 did not want random encounters but did want resource management which is a bit counter intuitive. You either make every encounter count or you get rid of resource management.

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 19, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
What do you guys think of the kill cam? I had to turn it off because I found it annoying. It's cool to see big crits and stuff but I can figure out if those happened without a camera drawing my attention to it and in bigger fights with lots of enemies the constant slow zooms on big kills were annoying and disrupted the tactical flow for me.

dbzfandiego posted:

Per Rest works if you have standardized idea of how many fights are going to happen in between rests, like in 4th edition D&D, how they did it in PoE1 was not ideal it felt like you were supposed to rest before or after every "big" encounter but what those were wasnt always apparent. In JRPGs they just give you mana bars and ask you to manage until you can get back to town, like in basic D&D, cant? go get more items/strategize/avoid/grind until you can. PoE1 did not want random encounters but did want resource management which is a bit counter intuitive. You either make every encounter count or you get rid of resource management.

Even on Potd you could usually find 1-2 rest supplies in a dungeon so you could actually afford to be fairly liberal with your ability usage.

There are a few dungeons where that isn't the case though. Iirc the Vithrack nest in Stalwart has no rest supplies and that area is pretty grindy with lots of fights so resource management there is tricky.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 19, 2018

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Even on Potd you could usually find 1-2 rest supplies in a dungeon so you could actually afford to be fairly liberal with your ability usage.

There are a few dungeons where that isn't the case though. Iirc the Vithrack nest in Stalwart has no rest supplies and that area is pretty grindy with lots of fights so resource management there is tricky.
Thats the other problem if theres no point to the resource management then get rid of it which is what they seemed to do in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ginette Reno posted:

What do you guys think of the kill cam? I had to turn it off because I found it annoying. It's cool to see big crits and stuff but I can figure out if those happened without a camera drawing my attention to it and in bigger fights with lots of enemies the constant slow zooms on big kills were annoying and disrupted the tactical flow for me.

I'm surprised by how much I like it, but then I do absolutely adore gibs in games