Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Resident Evil 2 remake footage is leaving me cold. Half the game looks like a drat storage closet so far.

lol that the writing/acting is really good this time around, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Amppelix posted:

What, you can run into two there? How did I originally skip both of these?

I mean, I know how, it's because I just stood behind one of the houses and shot and kicked the villagers shuffling down an alley until they stopped. I guess they really expected you to try to move about more, and maybe even try escaping instead of immediately going for the "shoot it until it dies" tactic.

I can imagine that encounter going a whole lot differently if the last RE you played was one of the PS1 ones.

Both are scripted—the one that most people run into spawns when you enter the house with the Shotgun, and the other spawns if you try and escape through one of the gates.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I had no idea about the 2nd chainsaw ganado either. 13 years later and I’m still learning poo poo about RE4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scrap Dragon posted:

I had no idea about the 2nd chainsaw ganado either. 13 years later and I’m still learning poo poo about RE4.

My first run through of that area resulted in both assholes chasing me like a whirring death conga. Ive never been happier to find out that the game has a trigger to end that fight that doesnt require killing everyone.

Love me NG+ there though, even if the equivalent section in RE5 feels even better on NG+

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Like I've said before, 5 is the better couch co-op experience and RE4 is the better single player experience. Because I'm kinda social I put way more hours into 5 but I could probably still play 4 with only a knife. The first time I played 4, I was 16 or 17 and hadn't played any horror games before. I somehow skipped BOTH Salvador encounters in the village and was coming out of Cheif Mendez's small mansion before I saw the first one. I had zoomed in on him and was scared shitless, expended my whole inventory of ammo and grenades on panic and couldn't beat him because I was too shaken up to aim properly for anything.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The first time I ever saw a Resident Evil game in action was when they were doing a demo of 4 at SDCC in 2004. I was 11, and my mom tried to keep me away from the booth, but I kept sneaking back to watch people try and play through the first part of the game and ultimately getting their heads chainsawed off on giant-rear end screens.

It was awesome.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

olives black posted:

Resident Evil 2 remake footage is leaving me cold. Half the game looks like a drat storage closet so far.

lol that the writing/acting is really good this time around, though

they've been holding all the cards close to their chest and only showing like 2 different small scenario areas, that's really all they need to do to drum up hype. RE2 was never the longest game either so revealing too much would be a mistake, especially regarding how much poo poo they changed to trick returning players.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

What, you can run into two there? How did I originally skip both of these?

I mean, I know how, it's because I just stood behind one of the houses and shot and kicked the villagers shuffling down an alley until they stopped. I guess they really expected you to try to move about more, and maybe even try escaping instead of immediately going for the "shoot it until it dies" tactic.

I can imagine that encounter going a whole lot differently if the last RE you played was one of the PS1 ones.

At some point they expect you to run into the shotgun house but if you never go in there or to the gate during the fight you’ll never see a chainsaw I think. As you found out it isn’t necessary but a lot of people don’t know about crowd control kicks at first either so a doorway is a convenient funnel.

If you’re playing normally most people will suggest going into the shotgun house and standing behind the dining table. Enemies will have to go around it or throw various tools over it for you to shoot out of the air. And you can throw whatever grenades you have back over the table. If you get swarmed fire a few shotgun shells.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DLC Inc posted:

they've been holding all the cards close to their chest and only showing like 2 different small scenario areas, that's really all they need to do to drum up hype. RE2 was never the longest game either so revealing too much would be a mistake, especially regarding how much poo poo they changed to trick returning players.

One thing I've been wondering is if they've shown Ben (the reporter in Leon's story) at all; if he's been taken out or they're consciously not showing anything with him. They've shown some clips of Leon listening to a portable tape recorder that he could've gotten from him, but who knows.

Then again, I've been trying to not read/watch too much about the remake even though I'm practically counting down the days.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The way I always do it is run into the shotgun house, grab the shotgun, jump out the second floor window, go in the house directly across, shoot the lock off the door to the back room, and then I hole up in that room like a coward because there’s only one entrance to it

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Turns out Ada was a ghost all along.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The first time I ever saw a Resident Evil game in action was when they were doing a demo of 4 at SDCC in 2004. I was 11, and my mom tried to keep me away from the booth, but I kept sneaking back to watch people try and play through the first part of the game and ultimately getting their heads chainsawed off on giant-rear end screens.

It was awesome.

Oh my god you're such a child. Okay I was what, 17 around that time? I remember seeing the commercial and, already having been disillusioned with 3 and CV which I only rented for a night, was like "wtf, this isn't Resident Evil!". Then we visited some family months later and my cousin had it and I started playing it and, well. You know the rest. My buddy actually rented a GC which you could apparently do at the time, and the game, played it for like 10 minutes, returned the works and went to walmart and just bought it all. RE4 still gets brought up so often with us.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
First time i saw Re4 was in a magazine,there was a huge picture of leon getting chainsawed in the collarbone with loads of blood and grimacing,it was so cool.
Didn't get to play it till later on the ps2 and it was great.

Funny,as a youngster you see the screenshots and with no prior knowledge of the game it looks so frightening but games are so realistic now but less scary.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 19, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RE4 is actually really fun to replay, wow. I never got the urge to go back to the PS1 games after beating them, and I suspect it's at least partly due to the way the weapons and upgrading work now. I'm trying all the guns I skipped first time through, but there was no such thing in the earlier games. You just got everything and used everything in a single playthrough.

I didn't feel like replaying Rev either, but that may be just because I didn't like it as much as I did 4. And I did do a whole lot of Raid mode which is almost the same thing as replaying it, so I maybe got my fill there.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The upgrade system in Rev was really lame, too. They did a great job if making the guns in RE4 feel like special toys, and you have more of a personal investment in them because they’re personal choices earned through gameplay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its also helped that they get perks as a capstone, like the drum shotgun turning into a massive holding house for all the shotgun ammo youll ever need.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The system in 5 was fine, the perks are still a great incentive, but the lack of visual customization made it lose a lot of that special feeling. The skills system in 6 is a waste.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The best use of 6's skill system was to pack all the melee skills onto Jake and just kung-fu things to death.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

The system in 5 was fine, the perks are still a great incentive, but the lack of visual customization made it lose a lot of that special feeling. The skills system in 6 is a waste.

Yeah, I was super bummed the guns in 5 were static which sounds insane since it doesnt "do" anything.

Thr skills in 6 are like all the worst things together, extremely limited, super slow progress, lots of dull but functional skills, and no discernable feel of improvement. Plus you cant even choose the guns you want to carry or even skip them.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I just replayed RE4 just recently on the PS4 and weirdly I can’t remember any graphical alterations with upgrades of weapons. What are you thinking of? I can think of the effects of the different rifle sights and the stock on the TMP, but what else is there?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There aren’t any besides stocks and I’m not even sure about scopes so I don’t know what people are talking about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

There aren’t any besides stocks and I’m not even sure about scopes so I don’t know what people are talking about.

Im talking about stocks and scopes. Its extremely minor but still felt good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

First time i saw Re4 was in a magazine,there was a huge picture of leon getting chainsawed in the collarbone with loads of blood and grimacing,it was so cool.
Didn't get to play it till later on the ps2 and it was great.

Funny,as a youngster you see the screenshots and with no prior knowledge of the game it looks so frightening but games are so realistic now but less scary.

NO ZOMBIES!? GAMECUBE ONLY!? RE IS DEAD

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I remember reading very early news of RE4 and even back then it sounded really rad. I bought a Gamecube to play that game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought one for REmake but yeah RE4 looked like it owned from the first screenshots and I didn't get mad about it or anything

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got RE4 Collectors Edition steelcase used way after it came out and I regret giving that away when I moved even though i had long since bought it on other systems by that point.

RE4 is unironically one of the best games ever made.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

By a long shot. Thinking about GC era onwards, I mean how many games can you place above it?

I never owned it on the first run, borrowed it years later when I got a PS2 again when I was into Guitar Hero. Then I got the remaster on PS3, and PC. I do still have my collectors edition of RE5, which I think the bundled Chris figurine or something was broken out of box. Thanks to a big fiasco with Dark Souls and Namco's online store I've sworn off physical copies from now on. I snagged a RE2 original copy (sold mine when I parted with the original PS) some years ago on ebay before game collecting got so big and prices went crazy, though I guess you could still get that at a fairly reasonable price. Same as ALttP which I only paid about 35 bucks or something for CIB which you wouldn't get the flap off the box for now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What the gently caress is this huge room in the castle where you first kill a million guys, then you need to (have ashley) turn a crank while a second million guys spawn in? I remember I barely did this first try, on professional I'm not even reaching the drat crank. There's no chokepoints to hold, whenever you stop moving you instantly get surrounded from all directions. gently caress this.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Stay in the bottom room until everyone who comes down does so, then lure some more in with kiting. I had a lot of trouble with that section too until I learned to turtle in the basement. The second half with protecting Ashley comes down to just being a quick gently caress shot with the rifle and having some grenades handy to blow away the ones who rush you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can you turn on alternate costumes in professional? I cant remember but if so ashley in Armor breaks all difficulty in that section.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah you can

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

But not in the middle of a playthrough. And this mod I'm using isn't compatible with the alt costumes anyway.

I did not think of holing up in that room though, so that should help.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If youre having a rough time with the shield guys weapons with high penetration can blow apart the part blocking their head and hit their head all in one go.

Also grenades are beautiful, precious things despite what a normal playthrough might make you think

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah it’s kind of lame I guess but as soon as you press the two floor buttons just stay in the room until things slow down. Zombies will come through the door and drop from the ceiling in your face but that’s what a shotgun is for.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Use keyboard and mouse. Makes the game way easier.

That's until you get to the U3 boss fight. That thing's a poo poo no matter what.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Eww, kb/m. I have never been able to have a comfortable hand position while playing an action game with kb/m. I use a controller for absolutely everything possible.

I played Skyrim on PC with a controller!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Amppelix posted:

Eww, kb/m. I have never been able to have a comfortable hand position while playing an action game with kb/m. I use a controller for absolutely everything possible.

I played Skyrim on PC with a controller!

:same: i can't play anything fast or scary on a keyboard,too many buttons and i have to look down lol.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Well yeah I mean if you're not used to it. It's just the way mouse works that makes the situations where you're being rushed manageable. If you set stick sensitivity too high you lose fine aiming which isnt the case with a mouse.

I'm saying this because I finished the game on gamepad multiple times, but after trying kbm I was suddenly just owning everyone's poo poo and is the only reason I even attempted professional.

Granted its still awkward as there's input lag.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Skyrim (or anything besides racing, platformers or dark souls) with a controller? Delete your PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I used to find playing with a mouse unbearable in a lot of games and then I learned it was actually mouse-smoothing loving with me.