Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Small brain teaser for everyone
Someone went too far drilling out a stuck screw previously, enlarging the hole in the cover, and so had to supplement it with a countersunk washer as a repair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

InitialDave posted:

Someone went too far drilling out a stuck screw previously, enlarging the hole in the cover, and so had to supplement it with a countersunk washer as a repair?

That was my guess, except that the type of person who would do that to an airplane probably just used a regular washer with a countersunk screw.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

stgdz posted:

Grabbed a uhaul car trailer yesterday and drove 800 miles round trip to pick up a subbie last night

At the uhaul dealer ship

:madmax: hey I'm here to pick up the car hauler
:uhaul: Let's go out on the lot and grab it

-goes out on the lot and see the trailer but the chains are about 4ft too long.

:madmax: Ummmm, those chains look like they are a bit too long.
:uhaul: Don't worry! I will just twist them up. (proceeds to twist them up but they are about 2-3" from the ground.) See its all good.

I drive the 800 or so miles and the truck just about dies climbing the great hill of Duluth MN. Ohhhh man the trans did not like that hill but she held up to the 70mph constant speed on 35. I go around and check out the chains to find this.

I moved them above the hitch in the second pic

thanks assholes, those things were thinned out like no other, One link was about 90%. Can't believe how much load that trailer put on the rear axle. I thought it would have balanced it a bit more. Or the ability to at least balance the load by moving the front straps back.

I probably would have used wire or Zipties to keep them bitches off the ground.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

stgdz posted:

I moved them above the hitch in the second pic

I always drive off the lot and then loop the chains through the hitch holes and latch them back onto themselves in a more conservative length. And echoing what others already posted, There's no option to put the car further back. Up against the front bulkhead then strap it down. A miata has the engine further back but it still puts a lot of load on the tongue, since a subie has the engine in front of the front wheels it's no wonder that ickle dakota had trouble.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That’s a super-common thing to see on older airplanes, particularly on inspection panels.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

wesleywillis posted:

I probably would have used wire or Zipties to keep them bitches off the ground.

Tried that at a gas station and they were still dragging by the time I got home.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Why the hell would the be that long in the first place? Oh yeah, its uhaul.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

pretty sure the right way to deal with chain slack is to wrap them around the neck of the trailer a few times, right?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

sandoz posted:

pretty sure the right way to deal with chain slack is to wrap them around the neck of the trailer a few times, right?

You run the risk of binding things.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

InitialDave posted:

Yarp

And we're on to the next brainteaser

Bonus points if you can tell me what the line running around the bottom of the jar is

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh yeah I had those way too long chains. By the time I stopped to sleep in Wyoming I had more chains when than when I left.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yarp

And we're on to the next brainteaser

Bonus points if you can tell me what the line running around the bottom of the jar is

Well, the E-Z Mix on the bottom implies something to do with paint. I'll guess that's what the line is - it contained paint and was left sitting on a wet surface, which it then stuck to.

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
My guess: Oil from a terminal engine.... lotsa babbit material on the bottom.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

Well, the E-Z Mix on the bottom implies something to do with paint. I'll guess that's what the line is - it contained paint and was left sitting on a wet surface, which it then stuck to.

No cigar

Scottishprog posted:

My guess: Oil from a terminal engine.... lotsa babbit material on the bottom.

Won't say it's not an engine on its last legs, but it's only 600 hours

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
So, one should distinctly not be seeing that much metal in the oil, right?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Your gut feeling might be right on this one

Also, the little line on the bottom of the jar is from a magnet being dragged across the outside bottom of the jar

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Haven't seen this here yet

https://m.facebook.com/DeinAutoCH/p...Q&__tn__=C-RH-R

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
DAS IST 'NE KOLBEN

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
It would take a heart of stone not to laugh one's rear end off at that.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DAS IST 'NE KOLBEN

Sounds more like "das is' dein Kolben" to me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zopotantor posted:

das is' dein Kolben

That's what she said

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That's a real "schieβe" moment, there for sure

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 19, 2018

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
"Du kannst hier nicht mehr wegfahren, brauchst n Abschlepper"
meaning
"You cant drive this anymore, you need to get it towed"

Yeah no poo poo Einstein. What gave it away? The smoking rod on the floor? The giant puddle of oil? Or all the tiny metal fragments?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Apologies if it's been posted but....

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sorry, I think that loops back around to being awesome.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, that's creative. Always loved coffin wheels. Those and phone dials.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

STR posted:

If it's anything like the trailer I had from Penske, you don't have a choice. The front wheel straps are way up front, and there's no way to move them further back. And they're nylon, so you have to check them regularly.

The only attachments on the rear of the trailer I had were chains to wrap around the suspension or axle. They had enough slack that the best case scenario on a twist beam FWD car like mine is the entire axle gets torn off when the car departs.

Every time I've towed with uhaul I've used my own tie-downs in addition to the front straps. It's just not designed right in my opinion; even my 944 loads up the hitch way too much but for my old 911 it's perfectly balanced.

Everyone should just tow 911s I guess.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If you reversed on the trailer instead of nose first you might get a better tongue weight. Other than looking weird I don't think there's any law about the orientation of whatever you're hauling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bajaha posted:

If you reversed on the trailer instead of nose first you might get a better tongue weight. Other than looking weird I don't think there's any law about the orientation of whatever you're hauling.

(insert uhaul weight balance demonstration gif here)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

"Scheisse!"

Shai-Hulud posted:

"Du kannst hier nicht mehr wegfahren, brauchst n Abschlepper"
meaning
"You cant drive this anymore, you need to get it towed"

Yeah no poo poo Einstein. What gave it away? The smoking rod on the floor? The giant puddle of oil? Or all the tiny rather large metal fragments?

FTFY.

That is a pretty impressive scatter.

MrOnBicycle posted:

AFewBricksShy posted:

Sorry, I think that loops back around to being awesome.

Just so long as they are doing it for a laugh.

Bajaha posted:

That's what I would have done, especially with a short-ish car. You end up with the engine just a bit aft of the trailer axles, but most of the rest of the car forward, so should still be the ideal slightly tongue-heavy.
I'm kind of astounded that there isn't at least a couple of positions that the tire straps can be positioned, but: U-Haul.

xzzy posted:

(insert uhaul weight balance demonstration gif here)

Too much weight forward can have negative consequences as well. Trucks get a little weird when there's no weight on the front wheels.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I wonder how many tries it takes to park the range rover with the tires just right

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MomJeans420 posted:

I wonder how many tries it takes to park the range rover with the tires just right

I'm wondering what happens when they get a flat and the tire gets remounted.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MrOnBicycle posted:

:hmmyes: really good

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

You're meant to unscrew the removable links on the trailer side and put them back in at the appropriate length then secure the loose ends however is convenient. Of course since it's a rental I'm sure no one ever bothered to put antiseize on them and they are frozen as solid as the rest of the chain.

Twisting the chain cuts it's strength significantly.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Bibendum posted:

You're meant to unscrew the removable links on the trailer side and put them back in at the appropriate length then secure the loose ends however is convenient.

Yep, normally you just stick the loose ends onto the quicklink as well to keep them up off the ground.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm totally doing that when I retire my Korean luxobarge to LeMons. (along with putting a cassette on loop blasting Kpop, with "Gangnam Style" as the first track.)

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

Bibendum posted:

You're meant to unscrew the removable links on the trailer side and put them back in at the appropriate length then secure the loose ends however is convenient. Of course since it's a rental I'm sure no one ever bothered to put antiseize on them and they are frozen as solid as the rest of the chain.

Twisting the chain cuts it's strength significantly.

That's news to me. I just had the uhaul guy hook up the trailer to reduce my liability in case of something going wrong

Speaking of trailers. I'm servicing the snowmobile trailer my dad gave to me a few years ago. It's about twenty five years old and in need of a new hitch and wiring.

I start by pulling the hitch off and find this

Thanks dad!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What am I looking at? You found the big roll of wire? Or the chains being held on with string?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

stgdz posted:

Thanks dad!

It's a secret us dads do on purpose to get even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The bushing was gone, so the steel roller it holds was flopping around and turning on the steel pin. Operators never said anything until it fell off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯