Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Splicer posted:

No, in a non-dystopia gene modding is treated the same as any form of healthcare, with everyone getting the best QOL upgrades available, paid for entirely by the government.

You may be being confused by, I assume, living in the dystopic nightmare that is the United States where "Everyone gets the best medical care available, provided based on need" is considered crazy talk.

e: I mean, everyone gets whatever Brains 'n Organs packages they want, you still obviously pay out of pocket for the glow in the dark junk addons.

'Based on need' where the state determines who does and doesn't need to live 50 extra years or have an IQ of 120 or the ability to move stuff with their mind becomes pretty dystopian. Paying for everybody to get anything they want only works in a post scarcity society, if you are at the point where you can afford to give all your citizens A+ healthcare with no rationing good on you, but I doubt anybody gets there anytime soon. There is always a new cancer treatment or a new blood pressure pill that costs way too much for everyone to get it, and when you start telling pharma companies you'll only pay $5 for that drug that cost them $50 million to develop then they'll stop developing those type of drugs and switch to the kind whose price you don't care about where they can make their money back in 5 years instead of 30. 50 years down the road you'd still only have tier 1 'Brains 'n Organs' package and 200 varieties of luminescent tumescent protusion & intrusion bachanalia genitalia mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
can I gently caress spaceships

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nevets posted:

'Based on need' where the state determines who does and doesn't need to live 50 extra years or have an IQ of 120 or the ability to move stuff with their mind becomes pretty dystopian. Paying for everybody to get anything they want only works in a post scarcity society, if you are at the point where you can afford to give all your citizens A+ healthcare with no rationing good on you, but I doubt anybody gets there anytime soon. There is always a new cancer treatment or a new blood pressure pill that costs way too much for everyone to get it, and when you start telling pharma companies you'll only pay $5 for that drug that cost them $50 million to develop then they'll stop developing those type of drugs and switch to the kind whose price you don't care about where they can make their money back in 5 years instead of 30. 50 years down the road you'd still only have tier 1 'Brains 'n Organs' package and 200 varieties of luminescent tumescent protusion & intrusion bachanalia genitalia mods.
I'm sorry I put on some glasses and this post was "Libertarian Talking Points" in bold text, do you know if you're using an old version of the mobile app or something?

There could certainly be distribution problems but the analogy here is being made with the national health systems of most governments other than :911: in which the evil health care rationing board (as opposed to the moral and just recission board) decides that a thousand bucks of gene-tweaking is worth a hundred thousand bucks of cancer treatment in fifty years.

On the macro scale where Stellaris runs there is probably not a meaningful difference. We arguably already have this poo poo in the system already with all the various techs and traditions which add +10 years to Leader lifespan. Presumably that is not literally only given to Comrade Blorgstalin, but it is just that on the macro level, the life struggles of the umpteen Blorgs consisting of "the pop on the +3 minerals tile" does not matter to your empire.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If xenophobes can't require people to take a 23andMe test before resettling, then my realism is ruined.

And if there's a setting that's called "Utopian Paradise" I imagine that's the same as, "hey get all the gene mods you want." Allowing pop-led genemodding could just add to the consumer goods cost per population, if that even remains a thing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nevets posted:

Paying for everybody to get anything they want only works in a post scarcity society, if you are at the point where you can afford to give all your citizens A+ healthcare with no rationing good on you, but I doubt anybody gets there anytime soon.
Most of Early 21st Century Europe: a utopian post-scarcity society, apparently. Unless you think "sometimes you have to wait a bit for a non-emergency appointment" is totalitarian rationing

Nevets posted:

There is always a new cancer treatment or a new blood pressure pill that costs way too much for everyone to get it, and when you start telling pharma companies you'll only pay $5 for that drug that cost them $50 million to develop then they'll stop developing those type of drugs and switch to the kind whose price you don't care about where they can make their money back in 5 years instead of 30.
Solution: abolish the concept of a private corporation that has to make a profit and instead plan your economy based on meeting actual societal needs like new cancer treatments and blood pressure pills, not chasing personal gain. Which, you know, there's literally a communism civic now, so it's not that hard to imagine a Stellaris society doing this.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Crazycryodude posted:

Most of Early 21st Century Europe: a utopian post-scarcity society, apparently.

Nope, just people using collective bargaining to access healthcare at prices below market value while the USA's horribly broken system pays extra so the pharma companies can makeup the difference.

Crazycryodude posted:

Solution: abolish the concept of a private corporation that has to make a profit and instead plan your economy based on meeting actual societal needs like new cancer treatments and blood pressure pills, not chasing personal gain.

A few places tried this, the biggest examples had one collapsing in on itself and becoming a corrupt oligarchy and then a nascent dictatorship; the other instituted population controls and backpedaled towards capitalism.

None of this matters to Stellaris anyway since it's no fun to play the leader of a free market nation so computer games are always some flavor of state capitalism or communism. There was a fairly good free market game series a while back, too bad they never made part 3...

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Nevets posted:

Yeah get our of here with this libertarian bullshit

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nevets posted:

Nope, just people using collective bargaining to access healthcare at prices below market value while the USA's horribly broken system pays extra so the pharma companies can makeup the difference.
Have the pharma companies found a treatment for your posting or is that considered a pre-existing condition

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Nevets posted:

This is so fuckin sad man.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nevets posted:

I'm assuming your complaint is that you can't run corporate dominion and authoritarian?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
But don't you see? Taxes are theft! I don't want to pay for unt- I mean, layabouts' and parasites' doctors bills! And I've never had a fire at my home, nor am I irresponsible enough to allow for fires to start, so why should I pay taxes for the fire department?

On a less flippant note, i see it as how Nessus defines it: Most of the empire advances that add years to your leader's lifespan also do the same for your citizens. I suppose there's some sort of general vaccination process and the like, so while you'd certainly have to pay to treat specific diseases like Xorblaxian Cancerphage, a sufficiently luxurious gay space communist empire would be able to provide for the most common ailments as well as broken bones etc.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 20, 2018

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm assuming your complaint is that you can't run corporate dominion and authoritarian?

Sure you can, just not full authoritarian. But corporate caste systems are definitely allowed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

But don't you see? Taxes are theft! I don't want to pay for unt- I mean, layabouts' and parasites' doctors bills! And I've never had a fire at my home, nor am I irresponsible enough to allow for fires to start, so why should I pay taxes for the fire department?
The Blorg Curve: Heavily market a book suggesting that aliens are stupid, lazy, and taking all of your Luxury resources. [Increases Xenophobe ethics attraction]

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Freudian posted:

Sure you can, just not full authoritarian. But corporate caste systems are definitely allowed.

Oh huh, I usually run fanatic authoritarian if I'm doing any flavor so the more you know!

Back on topic for the new ascension perk: I'm looking forward to the name and tooltip on the malus that xenophobe empires get towards empires that pick this. :allears:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 20, 2018

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
"Oh hey," I said. "The Stellaris thread has like a hundred posts in the last day, maybe they announced the expansion relea... oh." A sudden pause. "No, of course not, it's just pages of people enthusiastically agreeing about the likelihood and desirability of aliens loving. That makes way more sense."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

purestrain minerals only

down with fiat energy credits

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nevets posted:

A few places tried this, the biggest examples had one collapsing in on itself and becoming a corrupt oligarchy and then a nascent dictatorship; the other instituted population controls and backpedaled towards capitalism.

None of this matters to Stellaris anyway since it's no fun to play the leader of a free market nation so computer games are always some flavor of state capitalism or communism. There was a fairly good free market game series a while back, too bad they never made part 3...

"Makeup the difference" lmao.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jazerus posted:

purestrain minerals only

down with fiat energy credits
"Some Pops in your empire are condeming "Fiat Energy," "Fiat Food," and "Fiat Governance." What shall we do with these?"
* Listen to their concerns
* Adopt their ethics in toto
* Sell them on the Galactic Market for luxury resources
* No Pop, no problem

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Did I miss it in my last play though or is there no way to model “I’ve ascended to machine god good - pile of parts on the left, grab whatever you want!”

As a xenophile empire I ended up doing the machine ascension but all the options to offer the same benefits to the many other species in my empire came across as very Borg. I didn’t want to force anyone into anything, just give them the option if they, too, wanted to live as immortal machines of untold power.

Assimilation was clearly not what I was after and short of manually editing a bunch of species (if that was even possible) I couldn’t see a way to do it. And manually editing species for a top down forced genetic modification program seemed uh... wildly evil.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bettik posted:

Did I miss it in my last play though or is there no way to model “I’ve ascended to machine god good - pile of parts on the left, grab whatever you want!”

As a xenophile empire I ended up doing the machine ascension but all the options to offer the same benefits to the many other species in my empire came across as very Borg. I didn’t want to force anyone into anything, just give them the option if they, too, wanted to live as immortal machines of untold power.

Assimilation was clearly not what I was after and short of manually editing a bunch of species (if that was even possible) I couldn’t see a way to do it. And manually editing species for a top down forced genetic modification program seemed uh... wildly evil.
I think the mouseover text for cyborg suggests that these pops make wide use of cyborg technology and thus, collectively, gain these benefits, but they are not strapped down and forcibly assimilated. It's just so widespread that the entire population unit, collectively, gets the extra minerals and such.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it would be interesting if for xenofucking maybe there was some sort of compatibility system based on species type? Humanoid on humanoid and avian and avian easier than say Fungal and Reptilian? I always wish they did a little more in the game around that sort of thing. Portraits are just portraits but the class doesn't really mean much beyond that. Like I imagine a space elf is going to mingle in human society much better than a horrific parasite infested bear. In MOO there were always some pre-set opinion modifiers for everyone. Not enough to force you to be friends or enemies with specific races, but it added a little flavour to the universe.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's disgusting that Paradox introduced hybrid aliens before the organic juicing spiritualist robots.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I think it would be interesting if for xenofucking maybe there was some sort of compatibility system based on species type? Humanoid on humanoid and avian and avian easier than say Fungal and Reptilian? I always wish they did a little more in the game around that sort of thing. Portraits are just portraits but the class doesn't really mean much beyond that. Like I imagine a space elf is going to mingle in human society much better than a horrific parasite infested bear. In MOO there were always some pre-set opinion modifiers for everyone. Not enough to force you to be friends or enemies with specific races, but it added a little flavour to the universe.
If science can let an organism with copper blood conceive a child with an organism with iron blood, it can certainly create a half-Blorg. Now it might well be a repulsive abominable farting penis-mushroom. In fact, it probably would be. But it would live! And thrive!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
genetech is cheap you can go out & just buy the sequences to make glow in the dark moss. Obviously in the future the moss will be my sexy girlfirend

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nessus posted:

If science can let an organism with copper blood conceive a child with an organism with iron blood, it can certainly create a half-Blorg. Now it might well be a repulsive abominable farting penis-mushroom. In fact, it probably would be. But it would live! And thrive!

And then go through a time machine to the mid 20th century to become president in the early 21st!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If the offspring gets all the negative traits of both parents I'm excited to finally be able to make a race with every negative trait. I've already got two species of terrible dragonz with all the negative traits between them, now I just have to forcibly relocate them to a Gaia world and let nature take it's course.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

And then go through a time machine to the mid 20th century to become president in the early 21st!
My god, the Covfefe system wasn't a dumb joke - it was a stern warning of things to come!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this is not the time crisis I wanted

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is genuinely great that we can make an empire that embraces the furry spirit of wanting to find as many things as possible to put your dick into.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That seems pretty dystopian - tailor designing your people so they're perfect for whatever job they and all their offspring will be doing forever.

Great for the dudes and dudettes who get to gently caress aliens for a living. Not so much for the ones who will now stack boxes for eternity.

They can gently caress the boxes, with the right rotations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Strudel Man posted:

Outside of the aforementioned curing genetic diseases, I'd tend to think what exactly constitutes "best QOL upgrades" might be subject to terrible and anguished argument.

It would actually be a really quick argument because the lady who weaponized her sweat into a virulent neurotoxin would end all discussion permanently.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gyshall posted:

can I gently caress spaceships

they're really just flying cars so yes

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

orangelex44 posted:

"Oh hey," I said. "The Stellaris thread has like a hundred posts in the last day, maybe they announced the expansion relea... oh." A sudden pause. "No, of course not, it's just pages of people enthusiastically agreeing about the likelihood and desirability of aliens loving. That makes way more sense."

voyager has naked people on it so the aliens know we're dtf

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

voyager has naked people on it so the aliens know we're dtf

:hmmyes:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'll be honest and say I'm a little worried about what happens to empires that contain pops from more than two species, since this gives you an exponential curve for the number of potential hybrid types. It seems like if you tried even a little bit to diversify you could end up with actually dozens of hybrids, all with random hodgepodges of traits, and that does not sound like something I want to try to manage even slightly.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
eh if you go open borders and everything eventually the weak wasteful solitary decadent repugnant deviants will move to some other empire because they can't get a job and emigration pressure is pushing them away
e: good thing they're nomadic rapid breeders

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 20, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Splicer posted:

Stellaris 2.2: So many questions about xenofucking

Stellaris 2.2: Tiles shall no longer separate our interspecies relationships

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Stellaris: Tiles R’ Us is Closed Forever

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Voyager I posted:

I'll be honest and say I'm a little worried about what happens to empires that contain pops from more than two species, since this gives you an exponential curve for the number of potential hybrid types. It seems like if you tried even a little bit to diversify you could end up with actually dozens of hybrids, all with random hodgepodges of traits, and that does not sound like something I want to try to manage even slightly.

Half-Race's won't breed with Half-races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Back Hack posted:

Stellaris: Tiles R’ Us is Closed Forever

So they're going to pull a fake and plan to bring them back at the last moment despite everyone looking at them skeptically?

How could paradox be so cruel.