Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

^^ that's a nice looking bike you got going there.

Almost completed the assembly on this one - just waiting on some alclad chrome to turn up before I can fit the exhausts, rear shock absorbers and a bunch of engine bits. I'm poo poo at photos, unfortunately.

It's not a bad kit by any means, but it's got a few ... issues. The biggest gripe is the pre-chromed parts. The metallic layer stripped easily enough with oven cleaner, but the lacquer beneath some of the parts just will not budge. I've tried everything from bleach to brake fluid, absolutely no joy. In the end I wound up roughing the surfaces up with sandpaper before painting (they wouldn't even glue without a bit of violence).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ugh! I broke the shoulder joint trying to put it back in after gloss Cote. It just sheared off under moderate pressure. Now I gotta go buy another Stromtrooper just to get the shoulder joint. (And the shoulder straps of the white chest piece snapped too.

Dang this certainly is a rabbit hole.

Bought 19 dollar model.
Bought model snipping/sanding/tweezer kit
Bought tamiya weathering
Bought micro set micro sol
Bought gloss cote
Bought flat cote
Bought Vallejo washes and paint brushes
Bought other tamiya weathering
Bought second model.

[EDit] I’m not really mad about anything...

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Feenix posted:

Ugh! I broke the shoulder joint trying to put it back in after gloss Cote. It just sheared off under moderate pressure. Now I gotta go buy another Stromtrooper just to get the shoulder joint. (And the shoulder straps of the white chest piece snapped too.

Bought 19 dollar model.
Bought tamiya weathering
Bought gloss cote
Bought flat cote
Bought second model.

[EDit] I’m not really mad about anything...

Not sure what the part looks like, but that joint can probably be repaired with proper plastic cement and/or pinning it. Both options are far cheaper than another kit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
also most if not all model companies will let you buy a replacement part on the condition you buy the whole sprue its located on

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Feenix posted:

Bought 19 dollar model.
Bought tamiya weathering
Bought gloss cote
Bought flat cote
Bought second model.

Oh my sweet summer modeler.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also most if not all model companies will let you buy a replacement part on the condition you buy the whole sprue its located on

Good to know but I would have needed 2/3 sprues so it may have been moot plus I’m eager and impatient. I’ll just do another model with a glued arm down the road.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
You guys like AFV's right?

Fish and Chimps posted:

Another AFV finished. This time an M10C, 15mm Battlefront plastic. I love open topped vehicles. The exposed crew gives the miniature a lot of life.

I stupidly tried to wash the decal over the engine grille, but didn't like the result at all. The more you know...

I actually learned a whole lot from this guy:
https://youtu.be/PL-NsLi75GI
Not New techniques, but rather how I can apply simple, known techniques to tanks, and make them less daunting to make look passable, without an airbrush and stuff.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh my sweet summer modeler.

Yep. As someone who's in the midst of a move, I'm kind of embarrassed at how much modeling crap I've accumulated over the last 5 years. I will now have an entire room at the house dedicated to modeling. And it's gonna be awesome. My stuff has been in storage for about a month now, but I went thru a major funk for a while. The last thing I finished was my 1/144 USS Chevalier back in July. I'm itching to get my modeling room set up and get back into things.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yep, so much accumulated here too.

Plus I started to get interested in pyrography recently , so I've added more to the collection with a few hundred bucks in wood-burning supplies and equipment. I'm in a condo too, so not a lot of space. Someone recently who visited my place said it was more like visiting an art-studio/workshop than it was a living space.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yep. As someone who's in the midst of a move, I'm kind of embarrassed at how much modeling crap I've accumulated over the last 5 years. I will now have an entire room at the house dedicated to modeling. And it's gonna be awesome. My stuff has been in storage for about a month now, but I went thru a major funk for a while. The last thing I finished was my 1/144 USS Chevalier back in July. I'm itching to get my modeling room set up and get back into things.

I had a staggering amount of crap accumulated from my days doing wargamining miniatures that I had to leave at my parent's place out east. Since getting into the wooden ships thing, I've found that I can get by with a lot less in the way of specialized tools and whatnot and can fit everything into an ammo can.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yep, so much accumulated here too.

Plus I started to get interested in pyrography recently , so I've added more to the collection with a few hundred bucks in wood-burning supplies and equipment. I'm in a condo too, so not a lot of space. Someone recently who visited my place said it was more like visiting an art-studio/workshop than it was a living space.

My wife sews and does metal smithing (we made our wedding rings together), and I have a table for working on my boats and which will probably be repurposed into reloading in a little while too. It's tricky in a condo; it is my dream some day to have a garage where I can do all this stuff with wild abandon and no cares for a mess.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 19, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
And here it is, you nerds!!!

I went a little hard on the wash but I thought I could wet qtip it off a bit after it dried just a touch but I guess it REALLY dried and yeah, no.

That said, for my first, well, ANYTHING model related, I think it’s pretty not terrible!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You can get some thinner for the wash and wipe it off. I rarely manage to start wiping off the wash at just the right time to get the right amount of it off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can get some thinner for the wash and wipe it off. I rarely manage to start wiping off the wash at just the right time to get the right amount of it off.

Is thinner gonna gently caress the gloss cote under? Or should I even care given that whatever I don’t wipe off will still have cote under it and adhere?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

You used acrylic washes right? The vallejo stuff? Which gloss coat did you end up using?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Symetrique posted:

You used acrylic washes right? The vallejo stuff? Which gloss coat did you end up using?

Yeah Acrylic.
Testor’s 1261

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Feenix posted:

Yeah Acrylic.
Testor’s 1261

You might be ok if you use vallejo's thinner or water on a qtip to wipe the excess off. Just don't use alcohol.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Symetrique posted:

You might be ok if you use vallejo's thinner or water on a qtip to wipe the excess off. Just don't use alcohol.

The water on qTip did not work at all. I’ll try something a hair stronger, maybe thinner.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
As long as you use thinner that doesn't dissolve your gloss coat you're good. I use acrylic gloss and oil/odourless turpentoid wash. I can't vouch for full strength mineral spirits, but the odourless stuff is so weak it doesn't harm the gloss coat at all.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of washes, I just finished putting the wash on this guy. I think the photos ended up illustrating the huge difference that an oil dot filter and then a wash make. Also how you can make a sweet holder for your turret out of clothespins.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

5 clothespins per KV-2

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

As long as you use thinner that doesn't dissolve your gloss coat you're good. I use acrylic gloss and oil/odourless turpentoid wash. I can't vouch for full strength mineral spirits, but the odourless stuff is so weak it doesn't harm the gloss coat at all.

Turpenoid won't affect Future Floor Wax that has dried for 24+ hours. Will almost certainly be fine for Testors.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Anyone else going to the Scale Model Challenge in Eindhoven today?

http://www.scalemodelchallenge.com

E; I managed to find the Ryefield Panther G with interior and clear hull for only €30! Thats me sorted for at least a year :D

Im wondering what glue is best to use to attach regular styrene parts to the clear stuff... both regular and CA glue will cloud it. Any ideas?

Molentik fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 20, 2018

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Molentik posted:

E; I managed to find the Ryefield Panther G with interior and clear hull for only €30! Thats me sorted for at least a year :D

Im wondering what glue is best to use to attach regular styrene parts to the clear stuff... both regular and CA glue will cloud it. Any ideas?

Epoxy 2-component glue. It glues everything, although sometimes too well. It also has a faint horrible odour.

Speaking of washes, I just finished putting the wash on this guy. I think the photos ended up illustrating the huge difference that an oil dot filter and then a wash make. Also how you can make a sweet holder for your turret out of clothespins.

Is that the Trumpeter KV-2, Ensign? I've got it in my stash and I've been thinking of starting it. That green is looking real good!

Feenix posted:

And here it is, you nerds!!!

I went a little hard on the wash but I thought I could wet qtip it off a bit after it dried just a touch but I guess it REALLY dried and yeah, no.

That said, for my first, well, ANYTHING model related, I think it’s pretty not terrible!

Good Stormie! Try a Q-tip dampened in Vallejo Airbrush Thinner. It is a gentle solvent and you'll be able to control it easily.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Maybe a stupid paint-related question, but I have to ask it. I normally use Revell enamel paints (with a brush), but their assortment is a bit lacking once you move away from their own kits. Some also require mixing paints which is annoying on larger kits, especially because I don't always have time to keep working on a kit and the mix tends to dry out.

Is there any risk in mixing or combining paints from various manufacturers provided I stick to just using enamel paints? Or would it be safer to mask off areas completely to prevent them from touching? I picked up some Humbrol enamels to fill in some gaps, and today picked up this gunmetal color for a Zvezda kit I'm working on as well as other stuff I'll be building in the future. So far the Humbrol and Revell paints don't seem to have any problems with eachother.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Smoke posted:

Maybe a stupid paint-related question, but I have to ask it. I normally use Revell enamel paints (with a brush), but their assortment is a bit lacking once you move away from their own kits. Some also require mixing paints which is annoying on larger kits, especially because I don't always have time to keep working on a kit and the mix tends to dry out.

Is there any risk in mixing or combining paints from various manufacturers provided I stick to just using enamel paints? Or would it be safer to mask off areas completely to prevent them from touching? I picked up some Humbrol enamels to fill in some gaps, and today picked up this gunmetal color for a Zvezda kit I'm working on as well as other stuff I'll be building in the future. So far the Humbrol and Revell paints don't seem to have any problems with eachother.

Mixing different enamals should be fine. Just give it a try on a spare piece of plastic and see how it turns out.
The tricky part comes with mixing acrylics: water-based ones (like Revell Aqua Color) don't mix with lacquer based ones (like the Tamiya acrylics).

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
That's good to know, I was a bit worried due to the completely different paint smells. I'm already staying away from Revell Aqua Color due to its reaction with Revell enamel paint (Got some of the aqua color with a kit in one of those model sets and gave it a try). The main issue/risk would be different layers of paints reacting with eachother, but I tend to leave plenty of time for curing in between.

This should nicely expand the amount of colors available to me, as the hobby stores around here don't always have a lot of options available. Hell, I had to check five different places just to find a specific Humbrol color.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Sparq posted:

Is that the Trumpeter KV-2, Ensign? I've got it in my stash and I've been thinking of starting it. That green is looking real good!

It's a Zvezda kit. I did get a PE set for the Trumpeter kit, but this is the first time I've seen a PE set be woefully incompatible. The Trumpeter tank is longer and narrower, so the toolboxes and grilles don't fit at all.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Molentik posted:

Regular white glue (PVA) in sparing amounts works well and can be broken apart with minimal damage to the pieces if need be.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Will the Testors cement in the blue tube fog up clear parts?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Will the Testors cement in the blue tube fog up clear parts?

if it does, I remember people saying you can make clear parts like aircraft canopies or car windows appear clear again by dipping them in future and letting it dry.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Seconding white glue for clear parts. I use Elmer's Glue-All myself for windshields and windows and such on cars.

Speaking of which, one more race car for the case.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Speaking of which, one more race car for the case.

OK the model was nice but the 'case' knocked it clear out of the park.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cartoon posted:

OK the model was nice but the 'case' knocked it clear out of the park.

Thanks dude! I put the garage together a while back. Some scratchbuilt stuff, some leftover engines, walls are just printed on paper and glued up.

Little more done on the bike. Masking didn't go super well and I had some blue sneak under the tape onto the white. Should have thrown down a layer of the pearl before I shot the blue. Bah. Steps 21 and 22 done.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
A while ago my airbrush began feeding a little poorly and clogging a lot. I figured I wasn't thinning the paint well enough or something like that, plus it wasn't a great airbrush to begin with. This was tolerable until today, when the usual difficulties turned into the airbrush just spitting a fine mist out and the paint frothing up in the cup despite no visible blockage. None of the tricks suggested here previously like oiling up the needle and applying wax to the threads worked.

Then I tried a .66 mm nozzle and the brush worked fine. Upon attempting to replace the .38 mm nozzle, I discovered that I somehow had my .25 mm cap on, but the .38 mm nozzle and needle. I don't know what's more surprising, that the airbrush worked at all or that I managed to paint two entire models since I last played with my needles and didn't notice.

At least the end result still looks pretty okay.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Good afternoon, gents.  I just moved into a new house and am looking to set up my hobby room, but I foresee a problem with venting for airbrushing.  Here's a shot of my room this morning.

In the past, I just used an in-window fan to pull air out of the room.  It worked well because the window was at the same height as the desk and as soon as I'd turn on the fan, the room was fume-free.  Great!  Now, I have two problems.  First, the window sits high above my work desk.  Secondly, the windows crank open vertically - hinged on the outboard side.  I could break out my dilapidated portable spray booth and run a vent line up to the window, but I'd have to remove the screen and then try to pinch the vent line with the window crank.  There'd be a huge air gap and it's about to get Michigan-cold for winter.  Replacing the window with a traditional upward-open unit isn't an option. Window dimensions are ~14.5" x 32.75" per side.

For size and simplicity's sake, I'd prefer not to use my portable spray booth.  So, here I am.  A great new hobby room waiting for me, but with a minor twist.  Any thoughts on what to do?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gewehr 43 posted:

Good afternoon, gents.  I just moved into a new house and am looking to set up my hobby room, but I foresee a problem with venting for airbrushing.  Here's a shot of my room this morning.

In the past, I just used an in-window fan to pull air out of the room.  It worked well because the window was at the same height as the desk and as soon as I'd turn on the fan, the room was fume-free.  Great!  Now, I have two problems.  First, the window sits high above my work desk.  Secondly, the windows crank open vertically - hinged on the outboard side.  I could break out my dilapidated portable spray booth and run a vent line up to the window, but I'd have to remove the screen and then try to pinch the vent line with the window crank.  There'd be a huge air gap and it's about to get Michigan-cold for winter.  Replacing the window with a traditional upward-open unit isn't an option. Window dimensions are ~14.5" x 32.75" per side.

For size and simplicity's sake, I'd prefer not to use my portable spray booth.  So, here I am.  A great new hobby room waiting for me, but with a minor twist.  Any thoughts on what to do?

I had a problem like this when I lived in my old apartment. What I wound up doing was building a disposable airbrush booth out of cardboard boxes with an old box fan in the back pushing air into a similarly sized furnace filter. I think the whole setup cost less than $20; though I had to replace the filter every few months once it clogged up.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

This might be overkill for your needs, but you reminded me of this DIY coroplast heat exchange ventilator I saw on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akkhDjxwIu0

Not sure how you'd vent out that window though outside of putting together a full-frame cover.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
And construction on the bike is done. Steps 23, 24, and 25.

Awful naked for a race bike, eh? Now it's time for the fun part...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh good. It didn't seem shiny enough. I assume there's another gloss coat to go on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Watching episode 2 of The Great Model Railway Challenge, and at the 6 minute mark it becomes extremely obvious why the "model train ghetto" concept exists... gently caress sake dude.