Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hey just FYI, Ultimate Chicken Horse is one of the best party games I've ever played. You should buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

A few hours into dark souls now and I think I’m really really going to love this game. But wow, what a horrible demo they chose to show everyone beforehand.

Keep posting as you play. It’s always fun to read impressions from someone doing a first playthrough.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I played Paladins on a whim last night and I forgot how drat good it runs and plays on Switch. I think I’m gonna add it on to my regular rotation to keep me from getting Fortnite burnout.

The switch has some crazy good free games on it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Feenix posted:

I know not everyone is me, but I’ve come to sort of desire big, detailed, narrative, Triple A games on PS4 and anything that is small, bite-sized, more intimate, or can be played in bursts to be something I prefer on Switch.

Basically this. I rarely play AAA games anymore (unless you count BotW) but if I do I would rather have them on PS4. But it's something I would break out every couple of months for a big title. Day to day gaming is preferred on the Switch or 3DS.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It wasn't a demo, it was a network test

this is driving me freakin' bananas

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Keep posting as you play. It’s always fun to read impressions from someone doing a first playthrough.

Well I thought it was really neat how this world is opening up. I felt like a pro when I figured out how to get that first strike in on the first demon, and figuring out the patterns to kill him was extremely satisfying. I’m sure he’ll be piss easy when I replay this game eventually.

I love how alive everything feels. The little zombie enemies seem to hide in organically advantageous places and they catch me by surprise whenever I let my guard down. I can already feel myself putting the lore together in my head, but it also feels like the developers have given it a lot of thought too, which feels nice.

I tried going into the spooky cemetery but the skeletons were way too hard, so I went to Burg’s Nest and have been trying different paths. The deaths are less frustrating when you get to keep your items you find, but I feel like I’m still getting the hang of a lot of the mechanics.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I gave up on trying to get the arwing to work with the Starlink mount. The connection is clearly faulty. Luckily playing with pro controller is a million times better and I should be able to scan the parts every 7 days if I wiggle the mount a bit.

The arwing is nice to look at on my desk at least.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What are some others that arent fortnite or paladins or that new moba? Is there list of free eshop games?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

romanowski posted:

this is driving me freakin' bananas

people cannot read, what else is new

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

gently caress dark souls. Everyone just invaded and murdered me in that demo.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Playing Dark Souls on my lunch break as we speak. If someone told me this was going to be a thing back when Dark Souls was fresh on PS3, I would've called them a lunatic. Yet here we are, and life is good.

I might actually finish it this time. :v:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I tried going into the spooky cemetery but the skeletons were way too hard, so I went to Burg’s Nest and have been trying different paths.

my friend I'm proud of you for being able to identify that the skeletons were above your skill level and deciding to go to another area instead of beating your head against overleveled enemies over and over again and then complaining that the game is cheap like a lot of new souls players

then again I did more or less exactly that with one of the early areas of DS2 so I am not without sin

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I played Paladins on a whim last night and I forgot how drat good it runs and plays on Switch. I think I’m gonna add it on to my regular rotation to keep me from getting Fortnite burnout.

I like the gameplay but I always end up with awful teammates. Everyone slam picks a flanker or one of the snipers right away and we are always left with no support or frontline. I actually like playing support (seris is my go to) so I usually roger up but sometimes I want to try something else. Also have problems with people never touching the objective.

I am glad we don’t have chat because what I’ve seen from pc is just horrible in game chat between teammates, especially directed at supports.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Well I thought it was really neat how this world is opening up. I felt like a pro when I figured out how to get that first strike in on the first demon, and figuring out the patterns to kill him was extremely satisfying. I’m sure he’ll be piss easy when I replay this game eventually.

I love how alive everything feels. The little zombie enemies seem to hide in organically advantageous places and they catch me by surprise whenever I let my guard down. I can already feel myself putting the lore together in my head, but it also feels like the developers have given it a lot of thought too, which feels nice.

I tried going into the spooky cemetery but the skeletons were way too hard, so I went to Burg’s Nest and have been trying different paths. The deaths are less frustrating when you get to keep your items you find, but I feel like I’m still getting the hang of a lot of the mechanics.
I love reading posts like this :kimchi:

and yeah, good work leaving the graveyard and finding another path! I seriously feel like one of the dumbest consequences of the internet memeing Dark Souls as being ~hardest game ever~ is that a lot of people will go in blind and slam their head against a wall thinking it's intended. I've seen far too many people spending far too much time in that graveyard getting killed over and over and saying the game isn't for them because they thought "that's just how Dark Souls is" :negative:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The first time you enter that cemetery it’s like

I think one reason people smash their heads into the wall over and over in regards to the cemetery is that skeletons have, historical in video games, typically been weak starting point enemies and it’s kind of a habit people assume if there is an enemy skeleton it’s weak as hell

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 20, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Especially when the game was new, everyone was so used to the idea that animated skeletons should be the easiest enemies in the game and thus are the obvious first challenge. Every game starts off with skeletons in a graveyard. Therefore, even though the skeletons basically won't die and are loving you up, this HAS to be the way to go, because they're skeletons and they're the basic enemies.

One of the best two handed swords in the game is just past them, so you do at least get something for going over there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also didnt at launch they give XP so people though thats what you were supposed to do?

It doesnt help one of the best "Im here to beat dark souls, gently caress role playing" weapons is in there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Also didnt at launch they give XP so people though thats what you were supposed to do?

It doesnt help one of the best "Im here to beat dark souls, gently caress role playing" weapons is in there

I don't think the Zweihander is especially great for a newbie

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For real though, the #1 skill to succeed in Dark Souls is curiosity. Paying attention, looking around and exploring makes the game so much easier (like discovering and realizing that the graveyard isn't the only location you can go to!) and a lot of the reputation it has for being hard is from people charging in like it's a typical action RPG.

The game very much rewards the observant :3:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

I don't think the Zweihander is especially great for a newbie

Nude zwiei and get gud. That's my advice for everyone

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My first Souls experience was awesome because I started with the second one and was like oh cool this town has pigs in it.

YOU HAVE DIED

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rolo posted:

My first Souls experience was awesome because I started with the second one and was like oh cool this town has pigs in it.

YOU HAVE DIED

Those pigs rule as they teach you a valuable lesson really quickly.

Never underestimate an enemy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

They're also great at teaching you that :fireman:

just leave 'em, fighting back is not a good idea

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Your Computer posted:

They're also great at teaching you that :fireman:

just leave 'em, fighting back is not a good idea

Yeah they are probably the best tutorial in any of the games.

They basically teach you how to play without prompts. In a safe area.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also when you come back later to school those little degenerates there’s just a bigger pig.

Pig Fight Game also had a cool side mission about reigniting a kiln or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I always enjoy the fact that one of the most threatening enemies in Dark Souls 1 are a bunch of dumpy-rear end lookin' mushrooms. They will gently caress you up if you get near, and you see them and are like "Oh look I bet they're really easy!"

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

just got dark souls in the mail and I'm afraid I'm going to have to return it because I can't switch the confirm/cancel buttons

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I always enjoy the fact that one of the most threatening enemies in Dark Souls 1 are a bunch of dumpy-rear end lookin' mushrooms. They will gently caress you up if you get near, and you see them and are like "Oh look I bet they're really easy!"

those cats are the real fuckers of that area though

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Policenaut posted:

Also the crabs in Dark Souls 3. Scuttling around barely doing anything then out of nowhere a giant 4000 pound one comes wrecking through and spews bubbles at you.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Estoc is a really underrated weapon and it's also available at the very start and is much easier to get to than most of the other early ones.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Just use a weapon that has a moveset you like

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

don't even talk to me if you don't exclusively use katanas

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kill the black knight hope he drops the sword.

Or chip damage the dragon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Or chip damage the dragon.

The worst possible advice you could give someone new to dark souls

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

The worst possible advice you could give someone new to dark souls

Neither one is good advice.

The black knight will crush you unless your really good at parrying.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Be a pyro and hit poo poo with your axe until you know what the hell you are doing (beaten the game)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Neither one is good advice.

The black knight will crush you unless your really good at parrying.

If you realize how backstabs work early it's not that bad. I killed the black knight on my first time in the area by backstabbing it like 10 times in a row (same with Havel).

The BK is just going to be slightly frustrating whereas using the drake sword might just ruin the whole game for you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

If you realize how backstabs work early it's not that bad. I killed the black knight on my first time around by backstabbing it like 10 times in a row.

The BK is just going to be slightly frustrating whereas using the drake sword might just ruin the whole game for you.

You also can’t forget it’s a random drop on an enemy that doesn’t respawn.

So you could go through all that and get nothing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

You also can’t forget it’s a random drop on an enemy that doesn’t respawn.

So you could go through all that and get nothing.

Yeah I got nothing from the BK when I did it. I remember it being really satisfying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Having that sword drop messes up your matchmaking something fierce though.