Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

romanowski posted:

just got dark souls in the mail and I'm afraid I'm going to have to return it because I can't switch the confirm/cancel buttons

Yeah this is the one annoyance. It's extremely confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What should a newbie focus on when leveling up?

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

So I've never played any souls before and I got through the graveyard before doing anything else by 2Hing the morningstar and keeping even those giant fuckers stunlocked. Then I hit the catacombs, got screamed to death, and turned the gently caress around.

Zweihander has been making everything else really easy, though I've been running shield and battleaxe for boss-type things. Hit some trouble with the gargoyles and eventually gave in and summoned the sun knight guy to help, which turned the fight from frustrating to trivial. Used the gargoyle axe to kill the big stone demon thing right after the blacksmith dude. Took a bunch of tries but eventually I just didn't get hit at all and spent the whole fight right up his rear end.

Oh, and I got invaded once but vanquished the dark spirit Chevy Chase. :black101: Really enjoying the game so far.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

more stamina is always nice, no matter what weapon you plan on using

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Main weapon stat.
Health.
Con until you can roll good.(correct me if that's not con in DS)
Stamina

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Your health (Vit) and your strength

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Resistance

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

THE loving MOON posted:

Eh, Dark Souls 3 is great for a couple playthroughs, but compared against all the neat shenanigans you can get up to with powerstancing and whatnot there's just not as much replay value. Dark Souls 2 is the best at that I think. Easily the worst map though, they made hardly any effort at all to connect the world and it just feels like a series of levels.

I laughed really hard when I rode the elevator up to the lava fields.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

As long as it's not Resistance you should be pretty okay :pram: It helps to know what the different stats actually do though. Vitality and Endurance are always helpful since they give you more health and stamina (and let you wear heavier armor effectively), and while Strength and Dexterity do increase your damage their most important function is to let you wield different weapons. Every weapon has a STR and DEX requirement so ideally you'd put enough points into these to be able to wield a variety of weapons (never know what you'll like!)

Intelligence, Faith and Attunement are the spellcasting stats and I wouldn't really recommend them for a first playthrough because it makes things a lot more complicated. Resistance is a joke stat.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm not gonna buy dark souls again for the switch but i might replay it on the pc since people are talking about it again, it's been a few years by now

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also, I got my Switch back, with all it's save data. I've mostly been playing Super Dodgeball though. If they add Basewars I might forget to eat for a while. They also credited me for the time lost to the repair process on the Online Service, which was thoughtful though I'm already on the hook for the year.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kill the black knight hope he drops the sword.

Or chip damage the dragon.

I love the fact that you can eventually get all of the black knight's armour, weapon, and shield, and just kind of roleplay as one, yourself.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Astro7x posted:

What can you do with Starlink if you have the physical version with no ship toys? I’d love to rent this game before I buy, or just pick up used a year from now

I did exactly this technically, I just put the game in and when it asked to scan stuff in I hit the skip button and had all my stuff digitally in the inventory. Someone on the last page was complaining about things not being in their inventory though which sounds weird to me. I guess maybe if you scan things in rather than skip that initial prompt they aren't there until they are scanned in? Supposedly after a week you have to re-scan things in or they disappear, but I had no issue with that since I beat the game after about 15 hours. ( The 20 hour estimate to completion I saw thrown around seems pretty generous. )

That being said, I don't think Gamefly or anyone is going to offer to rent it. If you buy a lose copy on ebay it was probably stolen, or the rare chance someone really just wanted the Starfox toy.

Buying physical kind of blew up in my face. I just resell all of my games when I am finished with them to help justify costs. Sold mine on ebay, post office wanted $30 loving dollars to ship the thing in the box I had that it fit in. Instead they stuffed it in a flat rate box without packaging material, so it getting to the person I sold it to undamaged is probably unlikely. TLDR, by the end of fees/cost to ship and potential refund it would have just been better to buy digital or throw the toys away and sell the game by itself.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Actually curious, what are the user messages and co-op/PvP like at launch on Switch?

"Large chest ahead."

"Try using both hands."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Resistance

Oh no no no

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Nintendo Switch: using both hands on large chests

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Roadie posted:

Nintendo Switch: using both hands on large chests

But enough about Senran Kagura

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah this is the one annoyance. It's extremely confusing

it was cool on the character creation screen when I had to press B to change my character’s name but then had to press A to select the letters on the switch’s keyboard

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
my favourite anime titty game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is this game stealth anime? Is the motorcycle despite looking new actually 10,000 years old? What are you trying to tell us?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Guys. I played Dark Souls a decade ago, for probably 12 hours total. And I've smoked several pounds of weed since then.

I'm gonna roll Pyromancer and choose the Master Key. Is that wrong?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just when you think you've acclimatized to Guy Goodbody's posts they drop that

mdemone posted:

Guys. I played Dark Souls a decade ago, for probably 12 hours total. And I've smoked several pounds of weed since then.

I'm gonna roll Pyromancer and choose the Master Key. Is that wrong?
Master Key is a really terrible idea for a first playthrough, but Pyromancer owns hard

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I take it none of you played the first Monster Energy Drink AMA Supercross FIM World Championship The Official Videogame?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Your Computer posted:

just when you think you've acclimatized to Guy Goodbody's posts they drop that

Master Key is a really terrible idea for a first playthrough, but Pyromancer owns hard

Say more. Which gift is good for Pyro?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Say more. Which gift is good for Pyro?

Old Witch's Ring

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Old Witch's Ring

This or the Pendant.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Master keys let's you "sequence break" to places you will be super overleveled for.

Better for experienced players

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pyro and Old Witch's Ring it is, then.

Off I go. My soul is mine!

Edit: I'm gonna chronicle my first death if this drat cutscene would hurry up.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 20, 2018

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the difference between xenoblade 2 and torna? I see them separate in stores, I'm assuming it's dlc but would i need to buy both or does torna have the original game as well?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Torna is DLC but you can buy it standalone. It doesn't need the base game but also doesn't come with it.

You can also buy the base game and then buy Torna on it digitally via the Expansion Pass.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the difference between xenoblade 2 and torna? I see them separate in stores, I'm assuming it's dlc but would i need to buy both or does torna have the original game as well?

Torna is XC2 with a tweaked combat system. No blade gotcha.

You don’t need to buy the base game for it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Torna is strictly superior to XB2, but its also like, 1/10th the length. This is partially due to combat being massively sped up but even then it has mandatory sidequesting because there is just not a ton there.

If you think you might want to play both start with XB2 because there is no going back from Torna

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

man. gently caress megaman

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

This or the Pendant.

you cut that out right now

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Barudak posted:

Resistance

Don't even joke about this you son of a bitch, this is why people get turned off of Souls :arghfist:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
What is this B confirm, A cancel garbage in dark souls

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Reality Pisser posted:

What is this B confirm, A cancel garbage in dark souls

You know B is universally understood to be "yeah Boyeeeeee" and A is known to be "Ah hell nah"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I might have to downgrade dark souls from goat to merely goty

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Torna is XC2 with a tweaked combat system. No blade gotcha.

That is not accurate. They are different games with different stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy Goodbody posted:

That is not accurate. They are different games with different stories

Not really. The games fundamentally work on a similar level.

Plus he already said he knew about the story difference.