Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Peeny Cheez posted:

plz to explain

the metacrisis 10 duplicate grown from 10's severed hand that went off to live happily ever after with rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Basically,"You can't gently caress the Doctor, Rose, but here's a Doctor shaped human who is down to bang."

I've always been torn between calling him Dildodoctor or Doctor Twho

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
rose tyler's timey wimey bang buddy

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Big Finish Short Trips with the Metacrisis Doctor are pretty good, though that's in a fair part because they're narrated by Camille Coduri, presented as conversations Jackie is having with one of her friends, and Jackie is the best

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Basically,"You can't gently caress the Doctor, Rose, but here's a Doctor shaped human who is down to bang."

I've always been torn between calling him Dildodoctor or Doctor Twho

Still want him to come back for a two-parter or something, bitter and older and trying to fight to extend his human life. Tennant would make a great villan and a similar personality foil to Jodie.

"An amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation."--Moffat's final retcon and tick of the boxes, come to full fruition from beyond the showrunner grave.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

"An amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation."--Moffat's final retcon and tick of the boxes, come to full fruition from beyond the showrunner grave.

We already got the ValeyardDream Lord!

But yes, I agree that Toby Jones should come back :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Still want him to come back for a two-parter or something, bitter and older and trying to fight to extend his human life. Tennant would make a great villan and a similar personality foil to Jodie.

I believe there was an IDW comic which did exactly this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was an alien cockroach that put that scenario into his mind, it wasnt the actual meta crisis doctor.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Box of Bunnies posted:

The Big Finish Short Trips with the Metacrisis Doctor are pretty good, though that's in a fair part because they're narrated by Camille Coduri, presented as conversations Jackie is having with one of her friends, and Jackie is the best

They've done stories with them? Tell me more.

What're Rose and Handy getting up to?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

We already got the ValeyardDream Lord!

If you had any more tawdry quirks, you could open up a tawdry quirk shop :rolleyes:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trin Tragula posted:

If you had any more tawdry quirks, you could open up a tawdry quirk shop :rolleyes:

YOU DIE STUPID THATS WHY IT’S THE REAL WORLD

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love the Dream Lord and I love that episode.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Astroman posted:

the valeyard returns at last

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 20, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Sooner or later someone is gonna reuse the Valeyard. Maybe not Chibnall. Maybe not his successor. But someone will. Contradicting all of Big Finish's work on the character. Which is okay.

(But it's probably gonna be bad.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

big finish is weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NkR14DVssA

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I love the Scorchies. Especially Professor Baffle.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

...Yeah, that clip's enough for me to bite the bullet. Which Big Finish should I try out to jump in? Six and Eight are ones I've always been curious of but I'm up for whatever recs.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

nerdman42 posted:

...Yeah, that clip's enough for me to bite the bullet. Which Big Finish should I try out to jump in? Six and Eight are ones I've always been curious of but I'm up for whatever recs.

Spare Parts

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I haven't heard a ton of Big Finish either so I can only give early recommendations but... I think if you want some Paul McGann you could just start off with the Eighth Doctor Adventure boxes, they're good and have LUCIE BLEEDIN MILLER and form the start of a continuing series of narratives for him that is still going today.

Or go back and do Storm Warning, which is the start of 8 and Charley's adventures in the main monthly range. They're good up until they go off to another universe, where things get kind of boring and I ended up skipping ahead. Highlights include Chimes of Midnight and Stones of Venice

e: Spare Parts is amazing but it's not about 6 or 8. If you just want any doctor then I also love Colditz, it's about the Seventh Doctor and Ace trying to escape from Colditz Castle without ruining history too much in the proces

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 20, 2018

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The Eighth Doctor Adventures are generally really good and cool and form their own story that's structured like (and feels like it would fit in with) the new series. If I were crazy enough to try to get a friend from real life who liked the show into Big Finish, I would tell 'em to listen to those.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've seen a few people recommend Colditz, but be warned: while the script is actually pretty good, the sound design is famously horrible.

Just be aware that it doesn't represent the general standard of production going on.

As far as Six recommendations: I love ...ish, which I think is brilliant. Davros and The Wormery are really good too. If those go down well, have a look at getting into the core Evelyn stories, which form a loose arc through the following stories: The Marian Conspiracy, Project: Twilight, The Sandman, Jubilee, And The Pirates, Project: Lazarus, Arrangements For War, The Nowhere Place, Thicker Than Water. with a coda that turns up in another, separate arc.

There's absolutely a lot of crap that's come out of the production company over the last half-decade though. So, you know, do a bit of research before buying. While there's still some very good stuff being produced, there's a lot of mediocre crap, and the overall hit to miss ratio has gone way down.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Have they really gotten worse? That's sad :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Here's some other cool things about Big Finish for newbs:

--dozens of old stories are like $5, and every few years they price cut another group
--there are some great gems in the old stories, though some of them are a bit rough production and acting wise as they still are getting their footing, but the quality keeps getting better and better. So if you're put off by some of the older stuff, remember the new stuff is top notch
--there is probably more Doctor Who out there now than most people could consume in a lifetime, which is saying a lot compared with what we had 20 years ago

My recommendation for listening is if you have a commute, listen in the car or on a train. Great way to kill time and focus on the story.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Yvonmukluk posted:

They've done stories with them? Tell me more.

What're Rose and Handy getting up to?

Just a couple in their "Short Trips" range of narrated short stories so far, but yeah. Handy serves as the scientific adviser for UNIT in the new universe, trying to grow himself a TARDIS in his lab at the top of their base in Big Ben. Rose isn't really directly involved in either of the stories, but it's mentioned she works as an assistant for Pete, who is now a captain in UNIT.

The two stories they've done so far are more small scale and focused on examining how Handy differs from the "real" Doctor and his growth into someone more fully Doctor-like through the lens of Jackie's strained relationship with him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

corn in the bible posted:

Have they really gotten worse? That's sad :(

They haven't.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Astroman posted:

Here's some other cool things about Big Finish for newbs:

--dozens of old stories are like $5, and every few years they price cut another group
--there are some great gems in the old stories, though some of them are a bit rough production and acting wise as they still are getting their footing, but the quality keeps getting better and better. So if you're put off by some of the older stuff, remember the new stuff is top notch
--there is probably more Doctor Who out there now than most people could consume in a lifetime, which is saying a lot compared with what we had 20 years ago

My recommendation for listening is if you have a commute, listen in the car or on a train. Great way to kill time and focus on the story.

I think I mentioned this in the old thread, but if you have Spotify, there's a TON of older big finish on there. Like, at least the first fifty up to Zagreus, and possibly beyond. Good if you're wanting to try and already subscribe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Time travelers vs. killer puppets? What is this, Legends of Tomorrow? :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

How are Big Finish Torchwood generally? Are they any good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

Time travelers vs. killer puppets? What is this, Legends of Tomorrow? :v:

Don't you make me choose!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I've been really fond of the monthly series; they're smaller in scope and focus on one or two characters at a time.

I've actually been a bit underwhelmed by the bigger sets though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

They're better than the show at least, for whatever that's worth.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

They're better than the show at least, for whatever that's worth.

Better than the first two seasons at least, that season 3 miniseries was proper good.

Also a vote for the lucie bleeding miller arc.
the first few are on spotify and I started relistening today. Haley Atwell is in the first story of that too.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Looks like I'll stick with spotify for now and commit to larger stuff later if I'm into it.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

BSam posted:

Better than the first two seasons at least, that season 3 miniseries was proper good.

Also a vote for the lucie bleeding miller arc.
the first few are on spotify and I started relistening today. Haley Atwell is in the first story of that too.

Whatever.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

nerdman42 posted:

Looks like I'll stick with spotify for now and commit to larger stuff later if I'm into it.

As a person who started on Spotify I'll tell you look for things that say "Main Range". There's a lot of stuff like Companion Chronicles (basically books on tape as read by a former companion that don't feature actual Doctors.) And then there's the Stage plays...
Stick with Main Range and 4th Doctor adventures. I'm quite fond of Wrath of the Icenei and Destination Nerva.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If you love Colin Baker, well, Sixth Doctor and Evelyn are good together and Jubilee is insane (and was the basis of "Dalek" with Eccleston) so you got that to look forward to with them as well. She joined up in Marian Conspiracy. A good companion.

Rest in peace, Maggie Stables :(

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 21, 2018

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I really like the special they did for the 50th anniversary—The Light at the End. November 23rd, 1963 is an important day for The Doctor.

Has it really been five years since its release already?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

They're generally pretty good. The monthly releases vary in tone a lot, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. They manage to capture a lot of the different colours the show could display (jumpingly camp, grim, melodramatic, bleak, scary), only the way Big Finish do it they're only doing one at a time.

The bigger sets are generally pretty good, but they tend to only come in action barnstormer flavour. But it's also your only real chance to here much of the regular cast together. Of them, Believe is the best. (And by best, I mean one of the best things Big Finish have produced.)

The first radio season's really good though, though it ended on a renewal baiting cliffhanger.

Torchwood and Benny are the only two ranges I subscribe to any more. It's pretty sad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Sooner or later someone is gonna reuse the Valeyard.

Sooner than soon, they did it in 2010 with the episode Amy's Choice, featuring The ValeyardDream Lord!

Trin Tragula posted:

"'I'm surprised you haven't got a little purple space dog just to ram home what an intergalactic wag you are :rolleyes:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poo poo, I was sure I made and posted these last week - Ghost Monument gifs: