Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ryan: You're scared of spiders?
Doctor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The thing that bugged me most about the episode was this idea that this moment was a unique and precious thing and the whole of civil rights wouldn't have happened without it. It feels like it does a disservice to the strength and determination of Rosa Parks and the civil rights movement to suggest that they could be defeated by a late bus. It's as if a villain whose goal was to stop American independence hatched a cunning scheme to stop George Washington cutting down the cherry tree.

(But I'm mostly relieved that, as people said, it wasn't Rosa Parks Is A Rutan.)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
That's a good point Whybird, there was more of an emphasis on the idea of "Racism is forever if this doesn't happen" than there should have been. Civil Rights is a force that doesn't seem like it'd be undone only by the removal of a few people or moments, no matter how key they were. Major movements like that have a lot of moving parts and influences. I'm not even a big believer that WW2 could have been stopped if Hitler were taken out of history based on the end of WW1 armistice terms and there not being a U.N. or threats of WMD's to keep countries from going to war with one another, and that's probably the strongest argument you can make for "remove one fairly-modern figure and you stop a real big thing from happening."

If Parks' actions and MLK aren't in the picture then I think you delay Civil Rights and effective movements against racist laws but I can't imagine those changes just never happening. It's all hypotheticals of course.

Plavski posted:

Far Beyond The Stars

I'd have to go back and catch the episode, but just based on the synopsis I'd have at least one shared quibble with this latest Who episode, with it going head-on and being a period piece and not my sci-fi funtimes. There are tons of movies, shows, miniseries, books, really all kinds of media that delve into racism in the U.S. at different points in our country's history. I'm not saying sci-fi shows can't go head on into it by putting their characters into those settings, I just think it's not the most interesting setting for those shows or approach to take with it.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 22, 2018

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DoctorWhat posted:

I really wanted to like this, and I still mostly do, but it lied about the history it focused on. Parks' protest wasn't spur-of-the-moment - it was a carefully-planned, scouted, and organized act of civil disobedience.

Sure this is better than "oh she was a tired old lady who just wanted to sit" like my school books claimed, and included her activism, but it fucks up the act itself and I shudder to think why.

This was my biggest problem with the episode, too--which is a welcome surprise given how nervous I was about it. The whole premise is based on bad history, but it doesn't hold back on its portrayal of the time and the episode's heart is definitely in the right place. With no evidence I'm going to blame the Ryan and Yaz explain the theme behind a bin scene on Chibnall and say that Blackman did a great job. It's easily my favorite episode so far.

There are still a lot of dumb things going on, though. Jacket Man has the temporal displacement gun that he can apparently shoot people with, considering he tries to shoot the TARDIS crew multiple times. Why doesn't he just blast Rosa Parks to the 79th century?

Whybird posted:

The thing that bugged me most about the episode was this idea that this moment was a unique and precious thing and the whole of civil rights wouldn't have happened without it. It feels like it does a disservice to the strength and determination of Rosa Parks and the civil rights movement to suggest that they could be defeated by a late bus.

This is true and it's related to the problem that DoctorWhat raises above, but I guess as long as we're pretending Rosa Parks sitting was just a spur of the moment thing, I guess it makes sense that while sure there would have been another inciting incident, but it would be different in enough ways that the future would be worse?

Thirteen smashing the vortex manipulator knowing that Jacket Man would fail to strangle her was a wonderful Doctor moment, and one I'm having trouble played by any other Doctor. Mayyybe Series 10 death wish Capaldi, but even then Capaldi's just so tall it would be difficult.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I really dug that the Doctor faked being intimidated by the guy just to test out her theory, especially since a piece of poo poo like that would get off on fear so it caused him to let his guard down and consider her less than the threat she was, openly gloating about his prior exploits and his plans.

Also dug the line when he said the TARDIS might be worth something: "Nah, it's second-hand, got a lot of miles and one REALLY careless driver!"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Also dug the line when he said the TARDIS might be worth something: "Nah, it's second-hand, got a lot of miles and one REALLY careless driver!"

I thought the implication of that interaction was interesting, TARDISes have apparently gone back to being recognisable and valuable commodities, but they're not wholly unique or incredibly rare. It suggested to me that the Timelords are back to interacting with the universe at large.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Of the three so far I think I enjoyed watching this one the most, at least the first time around. More grounded than last week's, and less chaotic than the first, though that also had to lay all the groundwork and setup new characters while still having a 'normal' plot. It probably helps that 50s USA wasn't on the Australian curriculum so I didn't care about any mistakes or, I can't think of the right word so let's say "realism-paraphrasing" (e.g. was Martin Luther King really there? I have no idea, but I wasn't expecting him so the twist worked for me, and that scene was entertaining anyway).

They did a pretty good job handling all the characters in the action parts, even with everyone pairing up and splitting up and running around on different errands, nobody felt wasted this time and I could keep up with who/why/where.

In hindsight I also like that the Doctor went to the trouble of organising a real prize for that fake raffle instead of, say, ordering a taxi to the airport to get that guy out of the way; on the other hand I guess it's also meant to be the payoff to that Elvis-phone aside earlier but that's still a dumb line.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Specific noments being pivitol to history is doctor-who-consistant even if its arguable about its real world applications.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought the implication of that interaction was interesting, TARDISes have apparently gone back to being recognisable and valuable commodities, but they're not wholly unique or incredibly rare. It suggested to me that the Timelords are back to interacting with the universe at large.

Yeah I found that interesting too, though hopefully it's more a sign that Chibnall is just gonna "reset" things to basically the default pre-revival situation without going into any great effort to explain why, since the vast majority of Gallifrey/Time Lord stories tend to stink.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the episode isn’t completely fresh in my mind, but I got the sense the Doctor was just taking the “this moment is important to the web of time” view (which admittedly is an inconsistent story cheat but it’s happened often enough I can’t knock them for using it here) and only the villain was really thinking that changing the moment would undo civil rights (and the Doctor demonstrated repeatedly he was pretty dumb).

I think it’d be funny if he got blasted to the dawn of time and we never hear from him again except maybe in Big Finish or something.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I need a gif of the Doctor looking at Graham's hand on her shoulder real bad

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Also it was mentioned previously in this thread but appreciate there was much more palpable menace to the TARDIS team from ordinary white Americans, including a police officer, than there ever was from Krasko.

Doctor Who is usually such an optimistic show about human nature, I feel like part of the positive reaction this episode is already getting is from showing people being viciously nasty without the individuals learning inside the episode how terrible they are (or getting killed in a scheme or by the episode monster) - e.g. society was fundamentally broken and no speech by the Doctor could topple racism in time for the credits, it can only be accomplished by determined risky actions over several lifetimes.

Crusader fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 22, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rosa gifs:

One thing that really stood out to me is that while the visuals of the show look fantastic, the editing is often a little haphazard. Somebody earlier mentioned breaking the 180 line and it is really prevalent in a LOT of scenes, particularly when the Doctor and Krasko face off.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thinking about it a little more, I'm struck by the ways in which this compares with probably my other favorite revival-era historical story, Vincent and the Doctor, particularly in that the Doctor and Company don't always have magical solutions to things. You can't make suicidal depression go away by showing someone a good time, and you can't make institutionalized racism vanish by making a speech or smashing a vortex manipulator.

Of course the other way in which it compares is that the alien "threat" feels unnecessary and arguably weakens the story, though I guess there's a bit more justification here; you need the time traveler to justify the Doctor wanting to poke around, and you need that time traveler to be malicious* to set up the need to Put Right What Once Went Wrong. (Whoever compared this favorably to a Quantum Leap episode was dead on, in my opinion.)

The more I think about it though, the more I dig Kresko just being a straight up Future White Supremacist, since it plays pretty well into the idea that things like racism won't ever magically disappear, that they must always be opposed. Like, there are other, more nuanced ways to tell this story, and other stories to tell, but I think this worked. I think it was good.

___
*Or at least meddlesome, perhaps some sort of monk-like figure?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

I need a gif of the Doctor looking at Graham's hand on her shoulder real bad

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Plavski posted:

Far Beyond The Stars

Far Beyond The Stars was blunt but not every single white person in that episode was a cruel, Snidely Whiplash racist, though apparently every white person in Montgomery was.

I didn't live there then, but I can't believe every interaction every day between blacks and whites was sneering, yelling, and slapping. I understand the need to not show white allies, because they would have been minor exceptions and it takes away from the agency of the blacks who were fighting. But how about showing some of the day to day, soul crushing moments of more "polite" racism, where people were thoughtlessly racist, or thought they were being polite and just following the rules of society. I'm sure a lot of people in that polite culture of the South could be what they thought was kind to blacks, while at the same time keeping them in their place.

DoctorWhat posted:

I really wanted to like this, and I still mostly do, but it lied about the history it focused on. Parks' protest wasn't spur-of-the-moment - it was a carefully-planned, scouted, and organized act of civil disobedience.

Sure this is better than "oh she was a tired old lady who just wanted to sit" like my school books claimed, and included her activism, but it fucks up the act itself and I shudder to think why.

I didn't know it was planned. Even her Wikipedia page, which talks about her prior involvement in the NAACP and the fact that she wasn't just old and tired, very much portrays it as spontaneous. I suppose if it was planned, saying it wasn't that detracts from her as a leader in the Civil Rights Movement, but that also seems to be the narrative she maintained herself.

I do agree with several others here that the idea that changing this one thing was a "Fixed Event" that would enable racism forever, especially when there were already protests, activists, and even other bus boycotts prior to this one. I also find it far fetched that in the 79th century when humans have been pansexual in the face of wanting to be with other humans in a universe of aliens, where humans have been united as a force vs aliens, having an Earth Empire, where humans and Silurians have been united as fellow Earth residents, that there are still purebred whites who don't like dark humans. It's bad enough Ryan and Yaz had to commisserate that while racism is better 50 years later it's still there; it would be dark as hell to say "yeah there's still racism against blacks by whites 6000 years from now."

It seems to be a big retcon from the view of the far future humanity RTD and Moffat showed. It's odd that Chibnall ignores that while he drops in Vortex Manipulators and Stormcages.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 22, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

<3

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/third-doctor-jo-grant-and-liz-shaw-return

Third Doctor Vol 5. Jon Culshaw to play The Brigadier, and Daisy Ashford (who happens to be the daughter of Caroline John and Geoffrey Beevers) to play Liz Shaw.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

uvar posted:

I can't think of the right word so let's say "realism-paraphrasing" (e.g. was Martin Luther King really there? I have no idea, but I wasn't expecting him so the twist worked for me, and that scene was entertaining anyway)

I'm also Australian so I don't know the whole story either, but I do know that this part and everything said in that ending scene was right! I'm not sure exactly on this part and I might have timelines a little messy, but I think there's a genuine case to be made that if it weren't for Rosa Parks' display and subsequent arrest, MLK wouldn't have had the opportunity to gain national prominence as a civil rights advocate. And that wouldn't have stopped civil rights dead in its tracks, that's true, but the villain was right: the butterfly effect of what Parks did was a pretty drat big one for civil rights.

Yeah, this episode was pretty blunt. But honestly, if you want to do a story about Rosa Parks it can't not be blunt as hell. I got an 'educational TV' vibe from it all, too, but I was actually primed for that from last week and its weird scene of the Doctor pressing Ryan for scientific facts about a particular gas. And I'm actually okay with it, because honestly they're already doing pretty well at it. I am totally okay with Doctor Who occasionally turning into a combined reboot of Magic School Bus and Carmen San Diego if they keep being good at that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Plavski posted:

Far Beyond The Stars

I'm also quite fond of the slightly more subtle thing in Past Tense (also DS9) where Dax, Sisko and Bashir all get sent back in time to 21st century San Francisco, and the only one of them who isn't arrested for vagrancy is, you guessed it, Dax, the white lady, while the two brown men get rounded up and thrown in what's basically a prison for homeless people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

I also find it far fetched that in the 79th century when humans have been pansexual in the face of wanting to be with other humans in a universe of aliens, where humans have been united as a force vs aliens, having an Earth Empire, where humans and Silurians have been united as fellow Earth residents, that there are still purebred whites who don't like dark humans.

It's far fetched that people are racist TODAY and yet they still are (in depressingly large numbers). There's always gonna be people looking for scapegoats or targets to make themselves feel better or have an excuse for why things aren't "right", and I felt like the episode was trying to make the point that this isn't a problem that gets "solved" and then you can just forget about it forever. They made a big point about it at least twice in the episode, where they noted that Rosa Parks continued to suffer long after the big pivotal moment and even though she was at least honored in her lifetime and people remember her with great admiration, there are still a lot of problems out there that need to be exposed to the light of day, faced off with and overcome.

Astroman posted:

It seems to be a big retcon from the view of the far future humanity RTD and Moffat showed. It's odd that Chibnall ignores that while he drops in Vortex Manipulators and Stormcages.

RTD's second ever episode had Cassandra in the year 4 billion as a human supremacist who believed anybody who interbred outside of pure human bloodlines was a disgusting savage and beneath her. She was meant to be demonstrably and obviously wrong, just like Krasko was in this episode. I still think he was a fairly one-note character, but I don't think it is anything wildly outside of the parameters of the RTD or Moffat years.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Cleretic posted:

I'm also Australian so I don't know the whole story either, but I do know that this part and everything said in that ending scene was right! I'm not sure exactly on this part and I might have timelines a little messy, but I think there's a genuine case to be made that if it weren't for Rosa Parks' display and subsequent arrest, MLK wouldn't have had the opportunity to gain national prominence as a civil rights advocate. And that wouldn't have stopped civil rights dead in its tracks, that's true, but the villain was right: the butterfly effect of what Parks did was a pretty drat big one for civil rights.

Yeah, this episode was pretty blunt. But honestly, if you want to do a story about Rosa Parks it can't not be blunt as hell. I got an 'educational TV' vibe from it all, too, but I was actually primed for that from last week and its weird scene of the Doctor pressing Ryan for scientific facts about a particular gas. And I'm actually okay with it, because honestly they're already doing pretty well at it. I am totally okay with Doctor Who occasionally turning into a combined reboot of Magic School Bus and Carmen San Diego if they keep being good at that.

Rosa Parks wasn't even the first lady in Montgomery to be arrested for doing what she did, she was just the one that started the fire, as it were. Claudette Colvin did the exact same thing she did a couple of years earlier, but she was less of a sympathetic story. There's an episode of Drunk History that talks about her story (narrated by Drunk Amber Ruffin from Seth Meyer's show), if you want to look that up.

The whole "Rosa Parks refuses to give up her seat" event was planned, and Rosa herself was chosen to do it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

RTD's second ever episode had Cassandra in the year 4 billion as a human supremacist who believed anybody who interbred outside of pure human bloodlines was a disgusting savage and beneath her. She was meant to be demonstrably and obviously wrong, just like Krasko was in this episode.

And to me, that is a more believable story. I do believe there will always be people who are supremacist of one group over another; it's the idea that it will always take the same form that stetches credulity for me. Doctor Who has shown that time and time again that humans do eventually stop being discriminatory based on skin color after a long enough time, but that instead other forms of supremacism/specism occur and need to be watched out for.

Krasko would be like there being some guy now who says he's a Hittite add hates those drat Ra worshipping Egyptians.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I guess for me the flaws in how the plot was constructed and the wasted potential of the antagonist's main unique gimmick overrode points the episode had in its favor for giving us garbage humans and pretty shots.

They did subvert my expectations by not having Graham take over as the bus driver to make sure events happened as they were supposed to, but on the other hand that could have been one hell of a powerful scene. To see a guy who was clearly not racist at all have to act in a way he despises, and towards a woman his recently dead wife greatly admired, just to make sure history goes down how it should. That's some Doctor-style weight to bear and I think she's had to do that kind of thing more than a few times, I would have liked to see Graham's actor given that kind of material to work with instead of just standing there. He can slap on a bad American accent or the doc can throw some tech at him to pretend to be Blake, I don't see him not actually being Blake as a full-stop "can't do that" obstacle with how the story was presented.

Then again if Graham had to act as the driver that would add emotional conflict and possible lasting change or trauma to a character, who wants that?

Plus really, I can already tell they're going to work that Bus Driver thing way more than they should. I can already see him at the helm of a spaceship and saying it's just like driving a bus. May as well commit to it and have him forced to drive a bus in what will surely be the most Bus/Bus Driver centric tale of 13's tenure.

I don't mean to go off on a negative spiral about this episode, and there's got to be episodes of modern Who that had more plot problems, missed opportunities, poor characterization, and just all around badness. This episode` just really ticked me off and set me thinking about how ideas could have better used elsewhere and how predictable developments are sometimes worth steering into instead of avoiding.

Astroman posted:

And to me, that is a more believable story. I do believe there will always be people who are supremacist of one group over another; it's the idea that it will always take the same form that stetches credulity for me. Doctor Who has shown that time and time again that humans do eventually stop being discriminatory based on skin color after a long enough time, but that instead other forms of supremacism/specism occur and need to be watched out for.

Krasko would be like there being some guy now who says he's a Hittite add hates those drat Ra worshipping Egyptians.

This is a solid point as well. Even though racism is still around we've come a hell of a long way in "only" 100 years. Without a major event like contacting aliens it's hard to imagine reaching near-universal racial and cultural tolerance, but I think you tack on 1,000 years and racial issues will be drastically lower than they are now, and the bad guy here seemed to be from way past that timeframe. It's no small thing to say "I'm finally free after lots of time in super-duper future prison, what do I definitely want to do with my life? Travel back in time and stop the American civil rights movement!" This guy can go to any time and location he wants, and he wants to do that. I guess it's too much to ask for the show to dig into his motivations for such a drastic action. I wouldn't expect to see him painted as sympathetic, but hell dust off the ol "parents raised him to be racist" or something.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 22, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

docbeard posted:

Thinking about it a little more, I'm struck by the ways in which this compares with probably my other favorite revival-era historical story, Vincent and the Doctor, particularly in that the Doctor and Company don't always have magical solutions to things. You can't make suicidal depression go away by showing someone a good time, and you can't make institutionalized racism vanish by making a speech or smashing a vortex manipulator.

Of course the other way in which it compares is that the alien "threat" feels unnecessary and arguably weakens the story, though I guess there's a bit more justification here; you need the time traveler to justify the Doctor wanting to poke around, and you need that time traveler to be malicious* to set up the need to Put Right What Once Went Wrong. (Whoever compared this favorably to a Quantum Leap episode was dead on, in my opinion.)

The more I think about it though, the more I dig Kresko just being a straight up Future White Supremacist, since it plays pretty well into the idea that things like racism won't ever magically disappear, that they must always be opposed. Like, there are other, more nuanced ways to tell this story, and other stories to tell, but I think this worked. I think it was good.

___
*Or at least meddlesome, perhaps some sort of monk-like figure?

The monster is my least favourite part of Vincent and the Doctor. That always felt somehow unnecessary to me. In all of its budget-saving lack-of-glory, the monster there is just a dumb maguffin to force the setting for the more interesting parts of the story.

My biggest worry about Rosa was that it was somehow going to be a self referential play on Rose.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

trouser_mouse posted:

Mac from IASIP trying to stop the civil rights movement

Thanks. I was calling him Captain Mac from the moment he appeared and THEN they showed the vortex manipulator. It cracked me up.

The directing is getting better (some bad stuff). The actors seem more at ease. Jodi seems a bit more comfortable as well (I liked the Banksy bit). That's it. I'm keeping it short. I liked it. I want some time wimey plot next though. I would like some time traveling during my time travel show instead of just to get to the next place.

seizure later posted:

What was with the insane close up shots of the Doctor's and Time-Racists face, where it just went in and out of focus?

I really hate the way this show is being shot. It's like a film students first project.

I keep wondering if bad directing is going on or bad story boarding. For example when Capt Mac was blasting at the group, they ran left of the screen while the baddie shot at the camera... Cut to they are outside after the blast covered the screen...

"We escaped somehow?"

Each episodeso far has had a really bad moment like that. Chris Chibnall should use Matt Stone and Trey Parker's "but because therefore" writing check to see if things make sense. I feeeeeel like Chibnall is the type that if he thinks it looks cool he's going to do it regardless if it makes sense.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 22, 2018

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NowonSA posted:

They did subvert my expectations by not having Graham take over as the bus driver to make sure events happened as they were supposed to, but on the other hand that could have been one hell of a powerful scene. To see a guy who was clearly not racist at all have to act in a way he despises, and towards a woman his recently dead wife greatly admired, just to make sure history goes down how it should. That's some Doctor-style weight to bear and I think she's had to do that kind of thing more than a few times, I would have liked to see Graham's actor given that kind of material to work with instead of just standing there. He can slap on a bad American accent or the doc can throw some tech at him to pretend to be Blake, I don't see him not actually being Blake as a full-stop "can't do that" obstacle with how the story was presented.

Then again if Graham had to act as the driver that would add emotional conflict and possible lasting change or trauma to a character, who wants that?

I feel like giving that much emphasis to how much it hurt a white dude's feelings to have to act racist would have been a super bad idea, like, really awful. This episode isn't and shouldn't be about his feelings. They already showed him feeling discomfort about being complicit in what happened, and that was fine.

Also, on another topic in the thread, while I agree the episode certainly didn't present Parks' actions as definitely pre-planned, I don't think it did anything to go against that idea? It showed that she had a history of taking a stand, that she was actively involved in activist circles, and it leaves it entirely possible that she planned to take the next opportunity she saw to refuse to give up her seat. It then made sure she got that opportunity as she was supposed to. I'm no American historian but it seems like that's doing a much better job than most tellings of her story manage.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 22, 2018

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah agree with the general sentiment that it was clumsy but good. Didn’t much care for the song at the end either.

Felt like the language was pretty sanitised but I guess they wouldn’t be able to use the actual racist slurs on a show children watch.

And I agree with those saying that human on human racism still being around in the 51st century when we have aliens to be racist to is very depressing and doesn’t really make sense.

Yank viewers- how were the accents?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wylie posted:

Rosa Parks wasn't even the first lady in Montgomery to be arrested for doing what she did, she was just the one that started the fire, as it were. Claudette Colvin did the exact same thing she did a couple of years earlier, but she was less of a sympathetic story. There's an episode of Drunk History that talks about her story (narrated by Drunk Amber Ruffin from Seth Meyer's show), if you want to look that up.

The whole "Rosa Parks refuses to give up her seat" event was planned, and Rosa herself was chosen to do it.

I knew parts of that story, but not the whole thing; thanks!

I can still buy it as a moment racists would want to ruin, and a moment worth preserving in history even if you do know that it wasn't total serendipity, so I think as a story it's still fine, and hits most of the right notes. Most importantly, it holds that Rosa Parks was an activist, a woman who absolutely knew what she was doing, but needed a specific setup to do it. I read the whole plan not as setting things up so that Parks had no choice but to be in the position to make the choice she did, but to set up the scenario to let her make that statement. Because there's no refusing to stand if there's still seats to sit in, or if there's no bus to catch.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
This was a super touchy subject and I thought they handled it about as well as expected. There were some missteps, which a lot of people have pointed out the main one: that it portrayed Parks as refusing to give up her seat out of happenstance instead of it being a planned protest. I would counter that they did devote an entire scene to showing that Parks was part of a larger group of activists, which implies it wasn't just a random act. The premise of the episode hinges on the villain stopping the Civil Rights Movement by preventing Parks from protesting on that particular day, which is a bit of a stretch, yes, but it is also consistent with Doctor Who where the Doctor has to ensure a fixed point in time happens as planned (and that if it doesn't, everything can go wrong), even if it means getting directly involved and becoming the cause. And when it comes to something like the Civil Rights Movement, that becomes an issue as well since you don't want to portray a white person as being the savior here. I thought they did a great job working around that and making sure they "got out of the way" of history, this time.

Also pretty sure at one point Graham was supposed to drive the bus until someone pointed out to the writers that he would have to then confront Parks, and that it wouldn't make any sense. It just felt like all roads where leading to Graham being the driver.

marktheando posted:

Americans in general don't care about Brits doing American accents. You guys do a decent job as it is, and when it is bad we don't notice because it's usually a period piece and maybe that's how Americans talked back in the 50s? I didn't notice it.

The actress who played Rosa Parks was spot on, and she had most of the dialogue. The police officer was good too. No one else stood out as being bad, except maybe the guy who slapped Ryan.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 22, 2018

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

marktheando posted:

Generally pretty good, though MLK and especially the racist dude at the beginning who punched Ryan were pretty bad. I wasn't even sure if that guy was bothering to do an accent at first.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I didn't think people were racist enough tbh it's like they've never even been to the South

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

Generally pretty good - I think the cop was the best one. The slap-happy guy at the beginning was terrible though. Echoing the poster above me who felt like he wasn’t even trying.

Rosa herself was mostly good, but it sounded a little stilted sometimes. Kinda like she watched a few YouTube videos on that accent beforehand and was actively trying to copy them (to mostly great effect).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HD DAD posted:

The slap-happy guy at the beginning was terrible though.

I'm gonna be honest, that guy looked and sounded like Justin McElroy doing a bit.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

marktheando posted:

I'm from Montgomery Alabama so let me just say:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA
The hotel cop was pretty spot on, but Rosa's accent (especially how she said "work") was just awful. And the dude at the beginning was Peri saying "ky-ster" instead of "kee-ster" in ...Ish levels of bad.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

HD DAD posted:

Generally pretty good - I think the cop was the best one. The slap-happy guy at the beginning was terrible though. Echoing the poster above me who felt like he wasn’t even trying.

Rosa herself was mostly good, but it sounded a little stilted sometimes. Kinda like she watched a few YouTube videos on that accent beforehand and was actively trying to copy them (to mostly great effect).

I think the stilted speech was intentional and in-character. Remember that Parks was supposed to be unimpeachable. She was proper, married, a good worker, etc. She spoke the way a person would who had grown up in the Jim Crow era South where you could be killed for talking to a white person the wrong way. Contrast her to Ryan, who immediately gets slapped after spending 30 seconds in 1950's Alabama because he doesn't know the rules.

corn in the bible posted:

I didn't think people were racist enough tbh it's like they've never even been to the South

I dunno they were pretty racist, man. I felt they pretty much ran the gamut of racist things to depict, unless you wanted them to film a lynching or something?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Yeah the racism was spot on for me. A lot of racism, even now, is less death threats and more "get out of here if you know what's good for you." Lynchings and beatings were (are) a thing of course but mostly it's subtle power moves and gestures.
I really like how the only members of the crew that directly interacted with Rosa for any extended time or had a strong influence on her were POC. That was really cool to me.

Also confusing Yaz for a Mexican person was absolutely perfect Alabamian. I had a Pakistani friend named Parvez who was always called "Perez" by his customers, and his wife Shakeela was called "Shakira".

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

If anything, my biggest problem is that Tosin looks way too mature for how Ryan's written. It almost feels like Chibnall meant Ryan to be 15 or 16, they decided to cast Cole, and realised no one would buy him as that young, so they aged the character up without changing his behaviour

For what it's worth, while I do feel like your read is more likely what actually went down, as someone with dyspraxia myself I can speak to how easy it is to internalise people treating you like a child because of the things you struggle to learn - hell, I'm still in the process of unfucking some things about myself as a result of that, and I'm 28.

So while it's definitely more likely that the age of the character got adjusted but scenes were already written, they did end up writing him pretty true to life, even if only accidentally.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Regardless of my other complaints, nobody can say that the propmaster wasn't doing his job well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

Regardless of my other complaints, nobody can say that the propmaster wasn't doing his job well:

Good to see they’re having better luck with bus props this time around