Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Donald will of course be the Doctor Strange equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Funky Valentine posted:

Donald will of course be the Doctor Strange equivalent.

I think that's shaping up to be Webby.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Re: "Sharper than the sharpies", I like how it was deliberately framed as not-a-retcon. The additional development for Louie seems warranted.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, it was getting pretty noticeable that Louie was the odd one out last season. As demonstrated in the opening, Huey and Dewey both had their competencies and reasons to be adventurers. Meanwhile Louie only ever got the 'Likes valuables' trait, and was only used for Scam Artists and Lazy Slob jokes. It's hard to even think of a moment where he drove the plot outside of B stories.

Reflecting on it, Louie and Dewey both kinda got short shrift last season to Huey and Webby's escapades. Maybe they're doing a different subplot each season focusing on a different brother, and this one is Louie's with the following season's being Dewey's.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Louie's always meant to have a cunning and manipulative streak, it comes up a lot in the prequel comics. Makes sense that he takes a bit longer to find his niche in adventuring.

Also unrelatedly: It makes a hilarious amount of sense that Scrooge is the owner (and world champion player) of Monopoly in this setting. ...also, wouldn't be entirely surprising for them to put out a DuckTales themed Monopoly board at some point, if they haven't already. (or even if they have)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 22, 2018

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Reflecting on it, Louie and Dewey both kinda got short shrift last season to Huey and Webby's escapades. Maybe they're doing a different subplot each season focusing on a different brother, and this one is Louie's with the following season's being Dewey's.

Huey is the red one with the hat. Dewey is the blue one with the secret find mom subplot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It’s kind of amusing that for all the work they did to make the triplets into distinct characters this time around, people still get them mixed up :v:

Speaking of which, that half-second death glare from Dewey when Scrooge blanks on his name AGAIN is gonna stay with me for a while, I think...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alopex posted:

Huey is the red one with the hat. Dewey is the blue one with the secret find mom subplot.

If anything, Dewey has gotten the most focus as the secondary protagonist of the show, though that might take a back seat now that the Della stuff is out in the open. IIRC the altered episode order from the intended airing order messed up what was meant to be spotlight shared reasonably between the boys, but the Della stuff alone gave Dewey and Webby a lot of spotlight. (hence why they're so in sync now) Dewey's even got a personal antagonist in Don Karnage. (and Webby might have one with Black Heron's inevitable return)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(and Webby might have one with Black Heron's inevitable return)

I'm still kinda blown away by the Gummy Bears callback there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

It’s kind of amusing that for all the work they did to make the triplets into distinct characters this time around, people still get them mixed up :v:

Gyro has the right idea.

“Oh, hello Green Nephew!”

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Huey's probably gotten the least focus of any of the kids. Webby's gotten the most I'd say

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've never known which triplet was which and I don't intend to start now :colbert:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

kidcoelacanth posted:

Huey's probably gotten the least focus of any of the kids. Webby's gotten the most I'd say

Kate Micucci is so good she kinda ends up scene-stealing sometimes, even given the talent in the rest of the cast.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I still can't really tell the difference between the red and blue triplet. Maybe the blue one is more annoying?

kidcoelacanth posted:

That fits from the original series where the triplets were a singular gestalt while Webby got to have her own identity.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

those aren't people, they're bots

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

They're named Hugo, Paco and Luis and I refuse to learn their english, original names :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SlothfulCobra posted:

I still can't really tell the difference between the red and blue triplet. Maybe the blue one is more annoying?

The blue one (Dewey, like dew like blue water) is overeager and always excited for adventure. He's also the one who decided to keep his revelations about their mom to himself for some reason. The red one (Hoowey) is the nerd who could translate his scouts manual to Aramaic from memory. He's kind of a dork, who seems to be two steps away from a neurotic collapse.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 22, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Regy Rusty posted:

I've never known which triplet was which and I don't intend to start now :colbert:

It's easy. Huey is the one whose name you say first, Dewey is the one whose name you say second, and Louie is the one whose name is now unfortunately associated with :ck5:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked one of the recent Ducktales comics were Louie going a trip with Scrooge. Featuring one of Scrooge's best lines.

Scrooge McDuck posted:

You call that a Business?! A Business is a thing you can see and touch. That you built yourself... With your own Hired Hands!

And some good Scrooge Moments.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 22, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I liked one of the recent Ducktales comics were Louie going a trip with Scrooge. Featuring one of Scrooge's best lines.

The best part about Scrooge being a duck is that when he’s eaten in the proletariat uprising... he’ll be delicious :yum:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the formulation for remembering which triplet was which that one artist (Don Rosa?) had was that Louie is green like a Leaf, Dewey is blue like water or Dew, and Huey is red because he's the other one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(and Webby might have one with Black Heron's inevitable return)

Black Heron died so unexpectedly horribly that I would honestly be disappointed if she came back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the formulation for remembering which triplet was which that one artist (Don Rosa?) had was that Louie is green like a Leaf, Dewey is blue like water or Dew, and Huey is red because he's the other one.

Red's the brightest Hue.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MonsterEnvy posted:

I've said it before but I hate it when they do gags about Scrooge paying people subhuman wages, it takes the "Scrooge is a cheapskate" gag to an unlikable extent

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

drrockso20 posted:

I've said it before but I hate it when they do gags about Scrooge paying people subhuman wages, it takes the "Scrooge is a cheapskate" gag to an unlikable extent

To be fair, Louie lives with Scrooge in his incredibly lavish mansion and doesn’t have to pay for rent, utilities, or food. Have we seen this iteration of Scrooge being miserly with people who actually depend on his employment?

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm still kinda blown away by the Gummi Bears callback there.

Really enjoyed having April Winchell guest on that one. Very subtle.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

eatenmyeyes posted:

Re: "Sharper than the sharpies", I like how it was deliberately framed as not-a-retcon. The additional development for Louie seems warranted.

It's not a retcon so much as a comics reference. https://imgur.com/sP2rFaD

Rand Brittain posted:

Black Heron died so unexpectedly horribly that I would honestly be disappointed if she came back.

She fell over a cliff, into water, they never found a body, she's coming back.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dewey's expression when Scrooge blanked on which tripplet he was was God damned priceless. This show is great and I love it.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fractalairduct posted:

It's not a retcon so much as a comics reference. https://imgur.com/sP2rFaD

She fell over a cliff, into water, they never found a body, she's coming back.

How am I miss-remembering these things? Has my brain flattened smarties and sharpies into one thing because now I'm half remembering both. He's said both, right?

Edit: that is to say, I don't recall ever reading all three together.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

Why is it bad that the cartoon duck is "unlikable"?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Remember people, do not answer BotL.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

paradoxGentleman posted:

Remember people, do not answer BotL.

I have him on ignore, so no worries there.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

eatenmyeyes posted:

How am I miss-remembering these things? Has my brain flattened smarties and sharpies into one thing because now I'm half remembering both. He's said both, right?

Edit: that is to say, I don't recall ever reading all three together.

Yep, he's said both, but not (to my knowledge) all three together.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fractalairduct posted:

Yep, he's said both, but not (to my knowledge) all three together.

It's quite a canny thing that they've put all three versions together for the first time and spelled out the subtext, and how well it goes with the triplets all having a single personality trait from Scrooge exaggerated and expanded on.

Wasn't there a moment in the last episode where Louie's hair started looking like his uncle Gladstone's?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That episode was fantastic. It was just a "monster of the week" plot so to speak, but the character development was outstanding, there were a lot of great laugh out loud jokes and it was just lovely all around.

Extremely strong start to the season.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't there a moment in the last episode where Louie's hair started looking like his first cousin once removed Gladstone's?

Sort of when he got vacuumed.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Huey Dewey Louie
Red Blue Green
RBG
Ruth Bader Ginsberg

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Huey Dewey Louie
Red Blue Green
RBG
Ruth Bader Ginsberg

Burma Shave

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Is there any way to see this show online that doesn't require a subscription now? Both Comcast's streaming site and Disney XD's are saying I need a specific subscription to watch it, is it on anywhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there any way to see this show online that doesn't require a subscription now? Both Comcast's streaming site and Disney XD's are saying I need a specific subscription to watch it, is it on anywhere else?

Read this in Scrooge's voice.