Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I remember when Johan Hegg took a loving drinking horn from his belt, filled it with beer, went like "you're a fantastic crowd and true warriors; this is for you!" and toasted to the audience, and everyone lost their poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

I saw them in London, Kentish Town. They were awesome; many years ago now though :(

I saw them back around '06, then again last summer. First time was better but it was a much smaller venue. Got Vs. the World autographed by them.

What we need is a Bolt Thrower cover band that does nothing but tour constantly here in the States.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

When talking about death metal bands, Death is hardly mentioned in this thread. What's anyones opinion on them? I never listen to anything other than their two last albums. Their early work eventho it seems pretty popular sounds so, uh, raw and without direction.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
they fuckin rule, although tbh it's their "painkiller" cover that mostly gets stuck in my head

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Klaaz posted:

When talking about death metal bands, Death is hardly mentioned in this thread. What's anyones opinion on them? I never listen to anything other than their two last albums. Their early work eventho it seems pretty popular sounds so, uh, raw and without direction.

Every Death era is brilliant. The only real flaw with them is that Chuck structures every song in exactly the same way.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hahaha Nachtmystium is putting out a new album. How does Blake even show his face in public anymore

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Klaaz posted:

They’re one of the greatest metal bands of all time and every album is a classic.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Klaaz posted:

Death rules and I wouldn't be mad if this became the Death thread instead of the Bolt Thrower thread.

(I love them both really)

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah even their later stuff is killer not to mention they have some of the best cover art ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpfz5Vnr-_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyl_p1z9Nw

Parachute fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 22, 2018

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

COOL CORN posted:

Hahaha Nachtmystium is putting out a new album. How does Blake even show his face in public anymore

Turns out on top of being a (recovering?) heroin addict Blake is also a tremendously stupid and lovely person.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Parachute posted:

yeah even their later stuff is killer not to mention they have some of the best cover art ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpfz5Vnr-_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyl_p1z9Nw

god what a great album that is, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZfnhXQJvJo

edit: Here have something off of Symbolic as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zguCFjHyVeM

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 22, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i generally don't care how lovely someone is as long as their band produces sick riffs

im down for another nachtmystium

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I mean, sure. Just don't order it from Ascension Monuments Media lol.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

COOL CORN posted:

*Sigh...*

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mr. Pickles posted:

Amon Amarth are good. I would like to see them again sometime

Me too, man, they put on a fun show. Johan Hegg is a very big man and he pulls off the burly Viking thing very well.

I saw them open for Children of Bodom at my first ever concert, and I saw them again in 07 on the tour that Decapitated was supposed to be on. They dedicated Fate of Norns to Vitek.

Kilometers Davis posted:

They’re one of the greatest metal bands of all time and every album is a classic.

Absolutely. Every album is a groundbreaking step in the evolution of death metal. Chuck was a brilliant musician.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 22, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I saw them open for Children of Bodom at my first ever concert, and I saw them again in 07 on the tour that Decapitated was supposed to be on. They dedicated Fate of Norns to Vitek.

Yeah, that's where I also saw Amon Amarth first. Cleveland show. Trivium was also there unfortunately.

I kinda miss Children of Bodom. They were good there for awhile, but I guess Alexi Laiho forgot how to play or something.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I never got into children of bodom because the senior in high school who wore a leather jacket 24/7 that introduced me to metal when I was a freshman/sophomore said they were bad. That same day he sent me home with a bunch of overkill albums and a bootleg VHS of SOD's "Live at Budokan".

Kind of weird how much of an influence that had on me.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I never got into children of bodom because the senior in high school who wore a leather jacket 24/7 that introduced me to metal when I was a freshman/sophomore said they were bad. That same day he sent me home with a bunch of overkill albums and a bootleg VHS of SOD's "Live at Budokan".

Kind of weird how much of an influence that had on me.

That guy rules

e: I just remembered that the guy who got me into metal was really into Dimmu Borgir and Slipknot, lol. Dodged a bullet there

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Klaaz posted:

Death absolutely rules, and every album is a classic in its own way. From the raw grit of Scream Bloody Gore to the all-out prog of The Sound of Perseverance, Chuck pushed the envelope for death metal, he was always one step ahead of everyone else.

Speaking of Death, Matt Harvey of Exhumed heads Gruesome, a tribute band playing death metal specifically in the style of early Death. They've done albums/EPs in the style of the first four Death albums, and are absolutely worth a spin. They're also ridiculously good live, I was lucky enough to catch them at an old school basement show with room for like 80 people. Probably the best concert I've ever been to.

From raw oldschool beefcake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjyHthOIHY

To early prog death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSajhtRAKHo

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 22, 2018

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I got into more extreme metal by some kid on my middle school bus (probably 93-94) who let me listen to Monstrosity one day and I was like wooooah this is cool. Before then I was purely Metallica, AC/DC, Queen type stuff.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

deadking posted:

I mean, sure. Just don't order it from Ascension Monuments Media lol.

I have almost every single one of those JI bootlegs, the Leviathan comp that came after 1st Sublevel (I forgot the name), and a Leviathan/Nachtmystium split on order from AMM. I have received a whopping 1 record so far, and it was one I ordered separately than the bulk orders. At this point I'm not filing claims because I want to ride it out and see how long it will possibly take to get my product, and if I just never get it I'll take him to small claims since he is like 2 hours from me.
If anyone isn't familiar with the situation, hit up http://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118223&sid=e00376a511bd9c28f2983dd0b22460d3&start=640

Re: Death talk: SBG is my favorite Death and one of my favorite DM albums ever, just behind NSV. Symbolic is the other Death I reach for whenever I get a Chuck itch.

ReRe: Children of Bodom: I'll always defend their first 3 albums and Halo of Blood to the death. Fantastic albums, used to be a fantastic band, unfortunately their poo poo outputs now outnumber the great.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 22, 2018

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

KozmoNaut posted:

Matt Harvey of Exhumed

I love Matt, he's a funny dude. Saturday night was the last night of the Revocation tour and as Exhumed were getting near the end of their set, Matt said, "We've learned something from touring with these guys. We've learned that there are two kinds of metal bands. One kind is always working on their craft and pushing themselves further as musicians and pushing the boundaries of extreme metal in general... (cheers from the crowd) ... and the other kind has a fuckin' chainsaw."

I'm sad I had to miss part of Revo's set but I was really fuckin' tired. Tonight though. Suffocation :black101:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Every Death era is brilliant. The only real flaw with them is that Chuck structures every song in exactly the same way.
He also ends nearly every solo on the same note, which you will now never un-notice

Nazzadan posted:

ReRe: Children of Bodom: I'll always defend their first 3 albums and Halo of Blood to the death. Fantastic albums, used to be a fantastic band, unfortunately their poo poo outputs now outnumber the great.
It's really weird to me that they ended up releasing one really good album after like a decade of incomprehensibly bad material, then went straight back on their bullshit with I Worship Chaos

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 22, 2018

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's like after Hatebreeder they just started stockpiling good ideas for a rainy day, then after releasing 2 of their worst albums they blew their load. The drums at the start of the Halo of Blood t/t get me so pumped.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vulture Culture posted:

He also ends nearly every solo on the same note, which you will now never un-notice

gently caress.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
So I know it’s in the thread title but, Bolt Thrower. Why have I never listened to Bolt Thrower before today? Just finished Those Once Loyal and it’s ridiculously good.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Psycho Mantits posted:

So I know it’s in the thread title but, Bolt Thrower. Why have I never listened to Bolt Thrower before today? Just finished Those Once Loyal and it’s ridiculously good.

This is the reason for the thread title.

"Bolt Thrower?"
"Hm, Bolt Thrower.."
"Ah, Bolt Thrower."

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Smirr posted:

Yesss another day, another Bolt Thrower sale made. All is well here in the Bolt Thrower thread

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm not sure how you could claim that Death was groundbreaking when all Chuck did was first ape Possessed and then Coroner.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MrBling posted:

I'm not sure how you could claim that Death was groundbreaking when all Chuck did was first ape Possessed and then Coroner.

None of the post SBG albums sound anything like Possessed or all that much like Coroner, who aren't even a death metal band.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm one of those dudes that's pro "Posessed were the first DM band" and every single Death album dooks all over 7 Churches, as much as I love it.

Edit: After typing that out I'm actually going to walk it back. 7 Churches is better than like half of Death's albums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nah Seven Churches is really dated. SBG is a bit dated too but they leveled way up for Leprosy.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
No hook by Death gets caught in my brain like the one in "The Exorcist" from Possessed does. No riff Death has ever done can match the intensity of the title track to "Seven Churches".

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Nazzadan posted:

I have almost every single one of those JI bootlegs, the Leviathan comp that came after 1st Sublevel (I forgot the name), and a Leviathan/Nachtmystium split on order from AMM. I have received a whopping 1 record so far, and it was one I ordered separately than the bulk orders. At this point I'm not filing claims because I want to ride it out and see how long it will possibly take to get my product, and if I just never get it I'll take him to small claims since he is like 2 hours from me.
If anyone isn't familiar with the situation, hit up http://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118223&sid=e00376a511bd9c28f2983dd0b22460d3&start=640

The only AMM releases I picked up were 1st Sublevel and the Suicide Forest LP (which has a super cringy Rick and Morty sample in the middle of a song) and I got them from Nuclear War Now. Blake must have put these out before the wheels completely fell off because he actually sent them to NWN. I think he now owes Yosuke $7,000 and a bunch of Leviathan records.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

deadking posted:

The only AMM releases I picked up were 1st Sublevel and the Suicide Forest LP (which has a super cringy Rick and Morty sample in the middle of a song) and I got them from Nuclear War Now. Blake must have put these out before the wheels completely fell off because he actually sent them to NWN. I think he now owes Yosuke $7,000 and a bunch of Leviathan records.

I got my 1st Sublevel super timely and in perfect condition, he's just dropped the ball on every single release since then it seems like. He sent me a tracking number for the Distant in Solitary Night boot coming up on 5 months ago now and it is still just in "pre-shipment." I saw a post from Yosuke today that he plans on taking Blake to court.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Psycho Mantits posted:

I swear we get these posts more and more lately.

Feels good, man.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

None of the post SBG albums sound anything like Possessed or all that much like Coroner, who aren't even a death metal band.

Later death isn't very death metally either because he wanted to become a prog guy and then he died of aids or whatever that anus.com thing was

Nah Seven Churches is really dated.

bizarre opinion, what the heck?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

I'm one of those dudes that's pro "Posessed were the first DM band"

that's not an opinion you can have a position on man it's just true

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

It's still weird to me that the guitarist on that first Possessed album is the guitarist from Primus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

bizarre opinion, what the heck?

It created a style that wound up being done better a million times. I'm sure in 1985 it was loving insane but it's kind of bland to modern ears.

Malaria posted:

It's still weird to me that the guitarist on that first Possessed album is the guitarist from Primus.

He also briefly played in Blind Illusion with Les Claypool. The Sane Asylum is a nice tech thrash album.