Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I don't normally just blatantly repost stream vods here but this is about a game that I just want more people to check out.

ZeroRanger

Buy this awesome game on steam or itch.io if you're 2 cool 4 steam

It's a shoot em up style game that at first seems like yet another love letter to shmups with blatant homages/rip-offs everywhere but the game has it's own distinct personality that makes the referential aspects feel less on your nose and I'd recommend the game even to people who don't normally play shmups.
Basically everything it does has its own spin on it. It starts like a fairly basic shmup but soon unravels. I don't wanna spoil too much in case you want to get the game without watching my video but have it be known that I was sold on this game simply by watching a stream and tuning in near the end of Level 3. My own video ends before that very fight on the second loop, which is when poo poo gets really real so unless I continue playing that game on stream you'll have to play yourself to see that poo poo!

For a game that to me feels so fresh it has a surprisingly low player count (but as of right now no negative reviews whatsoever).
So if anything you see of the game in my vid speaks to you please buy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD
hey nine-gear scarecrow you're the biggest bitch I have ever seen, jobbo's a close second.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arex posted:

hey nine-gear scarecrow you're the biggest bitch I have ever seen, jobbo's a close second.

:lol:

Kobbo_Fett
Dec 5, 2016

Boba? Never heard of 'im.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Arex posted:

You got a reaction out of him, which is probably more than should've happened with blatant bait like that. I think that probably says something. It usually only happens with people who have strange amounts of power in spite of their emotional instability; people who inflate their sense of righteousness and self-worth by shutting down conversations where someone is attempting to gain perspective about others' lives and beliefs. The same kind of people who hide from emotional pain and criticism via passive aggressive emoji posting and are unwilling to attempt any forms of diplomacy or rational discussion before accusing an individual of forfeiting their humanity for playing an educational videogame about gun handling.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey! Let's stop talking about this now for our own sanity's sake. The whole "let's not jump down each others' throats" thing was not a suggestion. I didn't mind GamesAreSuperNice posting the gun game videos but he and the thread clearly can't handle the follow-through so maybe let's not do that. It was worth a try, as all things are, but it ended up being a bad idea.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Geez, when I saw this many replies I should've figured something happened, this thread never gets that much activity. :v:

Anyway, thanks for reminding me I totally forgot about the next 2 Dragon's Dogma videos:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Part 23 - The Perfect Disguise
We return to Heavenspeak Fort with Leon properly disguised. (You can also chuck male pawns into the Brine or off the convenient cliff and wait for them to fade out, too.) 2 other interesting things with Ophis I forget to mention: she's only hostile in the fort's environs, so you can totally weaken her a bit and carry her off to have a normal conversation (giving people skulls and carrying them over your shoulder is how dating is done in Gransys apparently); and also that she resumes being hostile once you're done talking to her and have a male show up. Found that out the hard way; my first time through I thought she was neat and "romanced" her, and when I went near the end of the game to give her the Arisen's Bond she killed me. :sweatdrop:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Part 24 - Going for the Gold
We wrap up the rest of the sidequests, with Maul's thieves guild, rescuing Valmiro (some comic fans call that the "mansel in distress"), and babysitting Symone. The Gold Idol you get for doing every step right is one of the most useful items in the game, unlocking high-end inventory at Caxton or Madeleine's shops early and giving you a discount as long as you have it (and while a forgery won't work for the shopkeep quests, it does keep that discount...). Oh, and if do this quest before turning in the Wyrm Hunt (as a lot of people will do as Max makes it sound like all your sidequests get canceled at that point), that's a hard checkpoint, so you can't try again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Wayne posted:

Geez, when I saw this many replies I should've figured something happened, this thread never gets that much activity. :v:

lol, i know, right?

Anyways, just want to quote these for emphasis:

CJacobs posted:

There's no rule against LPing games that are in bad taste (it is a bit in bad taste). I don't think this is the kind of game worth LPing just for archival purposes in today's environment but it's your choice to do it- I watched it and it's as inoffensive as you say it is. Were you to do something like Super Columbine Massacre RPG, then there would be a problem imo. With that said, there is a rule against jumping down each others' throats, so let's try not to do that, friends. It's easy to understand why crow's impassioned plea is so impassioned, but sniping at each other isn't very conducive to a discussion about whether a game should be LPed or not.

And, also, I think the game would definitely be worth LPing if you used it as an opportunity to make a statement about the NRA, instead of just playing it for the aforementioned archival reasons. I think the problem is that at the moment it kinda feels like you're playing it just because it's a weird curio, which it is, but again it's just kinda in bad taste to do that by itself.

CJacobs posted:

Hey! Let's stop talking about this now for our own sanity's sake. The whole "let's not jump down each others' throats" thing was not a suggestion. I didn't mind GamesAreSuperNice posting the gun game videos but he and the thread clearly can't handle the follow-through so maybe let's not do that. It was worth a try, as all things are, but it ended up being a bad idea.

CJakes is making some drat level-headed posts and since they're the OP, I'm gonna throw my weight behind them. Stop sniping at each other. If you this is a conversation that needs to continue, please take it to PMs (or another forum/thread) and out of the Casual LP Thread. If you can't help yourself, I'm happy to give an extended posting break.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yeah, sorry about that. I do appreciate CJacobs always being considerate.

I feel the general tone of the videos was originally pretty casual so I posted them here first. Obviously things outside of the videos didn't stay casual. I didn't mean for CJacobs' entire thread to get caught up in it.

I'll be moving the videos to their own independent thread.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9zkTn6SR-c

Obviously my lp of the machine translation of FFIV is dead, but there was one more joke I did that needs to be inflicted on people.

The patch I started on had a fatal bug that softlocks the game after the second Fiend as the walls start to close in.

Now concludes my attempt to distract.

e: There was a patch that ironically was released the day before I reached the softlock. I did proceed past this point but just stopped doing stuff a few hours later.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 4, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

FeyerbrandX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9zkTn6SR-c

Obviously my lp of the machine translation of FFIV is dead, but there was one more joke I did that needs to be inflicted on people.

The patch I started on had a fatal bug that softlocks the game after the second Fiend as the walls start to close in.

Now concludes my attempt to distract.

e: There was a patch that ironically was released the day before I reached the softlock. I did proceed past this point but just stopped doing stuff a few hours later.

Never say die. If you liked the idea of a gimmick LP, there are always more gimmicks to add to keep things interesting

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I figured I'd do another interesting game for this thread, so here is Deadfall Adventures on the Xbox360.

Deadfall Adventures Part 1: Sands of Shakarra

I really like this game because of it's heavy focus on exploration. Every level has 3 types of treasures hidden around it that allow you to upgrade your character at certain monuments, and some of them are hidden behind interesting puzzles or tricky optional platforming sections. It's really satisfying to find them, although sometimes you can be stymied by a bug, so hopefully those will keep to a minimum.

The game is set around the 1930s starring James Lee Quartermain, the grandson of Allan Quartermain from the famous books (King Solomon's Mines, etc) as he helps a colleague to investigate an ancient myth.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 6, 2018

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

BioEnchanted posted:

I figured I'd do another interesting game for this thread, so here is Deadfall Adventures on the Xbox360.

I really like this game because of it's heavy focus on exploration. Every level has 3 types of treasures hidden around it that allow you to upgrade your character at certain monuments, and some of them are hidden behind interesting puzzles or tricky optional platforming sections. It's really satisfying to find them, although sometimes you can be stymied by a bug, so hopefully those will keep to a minimum.

The game is set around the 1930s starring James Lee Quartermain, the grandson of Allan Quartermain from the famous books (King Solomon's Mines, etc) as he helps a colleague to investigate an ancient myth.

This seems real cool, and wow, the protagonist is already insufferable! Look James, if you want to be a lovely alcoholic womanizer and still be cool, you need a better voice actor.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It is pretty cool, it knows how to take otherwise dull setpieces and make them super bombastic at times, but we'll see that waaaay later.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought this was a point and click adventure game for a really long time before it came up in some youtube video.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That was part of the reason it took me a while to get around to actually buying it, it looked low effort. However it's got a lot of thought put into it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic 06

Last Episode

The end is within sight. And for some reason it doesn't want to arrive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Deadfall Adventures Part 2: Pyramid

This level is really big and has a lot of puzzles, most of the interesting ones are the optional ones but they are all built off of things we'll need to get good at later. Also the plot really starts properly here.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Don't y'all get angry at GamesAreSupernice, I will defend him as an art piece by himself. He has LetsPlayed some incredible stinkers and has treated every single turd with the same mix of undeserved in-depth analysis and deadpan disdain for the product. He has the omega nerd shtick nailed down better than anybody in this forum and for that I unironically applaud him. Having no shame is part of that, and he's doing it magnificently. This is his latest and greatest art, and perhaps he will surpass even this!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Gimbal lock posted:

Don't y'all get angry at GamesAreSupernice, I will defend him as an art piece by himself. He has LetsPlayed some incredible stinkers and has treated every single turd with the same mix of undeserved in-depth analysis and deadpan disdain for the product. He has the omega nerd shtick nailed down better than anybody in this forum and for that I unironically applaud him. Having no shame is part of that, and he's doing it magnificently. This is his latest and greatest art, and perhaps he will surpass even this!

I'm going to save this in my special comments folder, because it made me laugh and smile. Thanks.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Let's Play Pong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNAdtkSjSps

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Deadfall Adventures Part 3: Arctic Base

We investigate an interesting level with some neat puzzles. Also the "Put down your Waffles!" line always gets me. :3:

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I'm going to save this in my special comments folder, because it made me laugh and smile. Thanks.
Pardon me your what folder now? :thunk:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Bible Ian Black posted:

Pardon me your what folder now? :thunk:

a folder of comments that make me smile, things i want to remember

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

ThornBrain posted:

Sonic 06

Last Episode

The end is within sight. And for some reason it doesn't want to arrive.

Is nobody else gonna do it?

Fine.

"I can't believe Sonic is loving dead."

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic 06

Oh, Jacob.

See you all next week for Sonic Adventure DX!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sonic 06; the game so bad, it retcons itself.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

oh boy that joke never gets old, just like the stream of never-ending livestream LPs of sonic 06

that was sarcasm, but if you do prefer an endless plethora of livestream LPs of sonic 06 then I suppose you are in a very good position

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play “Monster High: 13 Wishes”

I often value my curiosity and what it brings to my life. I've found many wonderful and unique experiences thanks to my obsessive digging through the deepest, most obscure corners of videogame history. And then, there are the games that are so bizarrely and poorly designed that they deserve to stand as targets for thorough analysis. How did it get this bad? Why?

That brings us to 13 Wishes, which is one of the worst games I've had the displeasure of playing. I would rather play CID The Dummy again, or Deep Black, because even though those games were frustrating beyond reason, at least they had a soul and understood basic concepts like resource allocation. 13 Wishes hosed up in ways that I didn't know you could gently caress up. Suddenly things I took for granted couldn't be taken for granted anymore. What a beautiful experience.

Videos

1. Oasis

2. Pyramids

3. Ruins

4. Dressing Room

5. Candle Room

6. Throne Room

7. The Maze

Game Over

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 5, 2019

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Sonic takes the leap into proper 3D to declare himself the king of jank.

1998's Sonic Adventure on the Sega Dreamcast was the requisite jump to 3D for speedy 2D platformer mascot Sonic the Hedgehog. The speed was there, but so was a kinda-open world to explore, a fully voice-acted story, and a rocking soundtrack. And also a massive learning curve for Sonic Team in developing and programming a 3D game.
It was popular but an awkward mess, and its updated re-release in 2003 as SADX: Director's Cut somehow made it even worse. Many of the games that would come after it range from playable-to-abysmal, so it comes as no surprise that going back to Adventure reveals a game that covers that entire spectrum: there are the highs of Sonic and Tails's awkwardly fun speedy platforming, and then there are the canyons of Big's fishing nightmares. Having multiple playable characters, all of whom are subject to the nearly-theoretical hit detection, is like a microcosm in itself of how little Sonic Team understood what people enjoyed about Sonic for the next two decades.
Combined with the unintentionally hilarious cutscenes and a remarkably good soundtrack, you get a unique gaming experience that manages to be janky as all hell but still plenty playable all at once.

This is a straightforward, casual playthrough of SADX streamed on YouTube and supported by my Patreon patrons. Returning from my Sonic 06 livestreamed LP are my co-commentators Mugiwara Yoshi and Jiggly Jacob, who are as glad as I am that Adventure is so much more fun than 06. And yes, I played this game to death as a kid, even if not nearly as much as its sequel.

--------------

Sonic's Story

Big's Story

Tails' Story

Knuckles' Story

Amy's Story

E-102 Gamma's Story

Super Sonic's Story

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 25, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

Sonic takes the leap into proper 3D to declare himself the king of jank.

1998's Sonic Adventure on the Sega Dreamcast was the requisite jump to 3D for speedy 2D platformer mascot Sonic the Hedgehog. The speed was there, but so was a kinda-open world to explore, a fully voice-acted story, and a rocking soundtrack. And also a massive learning curve for Sonic Team in developing and programming a 3D game.
It was popular but an awkward mess, and its updated re-release in 2003 as SADX: Director's Cut somehow made it even worse. Many of the games that would come after it range from playable-to-abysmal, so it comes as no surprise that going back to Adventure reveals a game that covers that entire spectrum: there are the highs of Sonic and Tails's awkwardly fun speedy platforming, and then there are the canyons of Big's fishing nightmares. Having multiple playable characters, all of whom are subject to the nearly-theoretical hit detection, is like a microcosm in itself of how little Sonic Team understood what people enjoyed about Sonic for the next two decades.
Combined with the unintentionally hilarious cutscenes and a remarkably good soundtrack, you get a unique gaming experience that manages to be janky as all hell but still plenty playable all at once.

This is a straightforward, casual playthrough of SADX streamed on YouTube and supported by my Patreon patrons. Returning from my Sonic 06 livestreamed LP are my co-commentators Mugiwara Yoshi and Jiggly Jacob, who are as glad as I am that Adventure is so much more fun than 06. And yes, I played this game to death as a kid, even if not nearly as much as its sequel.

--------------

That's a very well-written OP, and I think the analysis of the game mechanics is pretty accurate, though exaggerated. That being said, the original game was incredibly well-received when it came out. It was only after people became viciously nostalgic that the 3D games started to become "Sonic Team doesn't understand what people enjoy about Sonic". It's not as though everyone always hated 3D Sonic, it just shifted that way over time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its hosed up that Sonic got top billing and not the Chao.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

GamesAreSupernice posted:

That's a very well-written OP, and I think the analysis of the game mechanics is pretty accurate, though exaggerated. That being said, the original game was incredibly well-received when it came out. It was only after people became viciously nostalgic that the 3D games started to become "Sonic Team doesn't understand what people enjoy about Sonic". It's not as though everyone always hated 3D Sonic, it just shifted that way over time.

This is true, however some of those people who liked the game at the time were in fact Sonic fans just happy to get something cause Sonic hadn't really hit it's downward spiral yet, myself included. While it's true Adventure and Adventure 2 sort of shaped expectations to a fault with the Sonic community as more games came out, and as more games came out and they were worse than those two idolized examples, people started to turn away from it including vehement Sonic fans. Of course, in fairness, the initial thing that turned them away was how out of tone to the rest of the Sonic series Shadow's game was (along with it just being a tedious grind of a game if you wanted to see the whole story), and then after Shadow was 06...a janky rushed mess that most people didn't even want to give a second go even if they didn't hate it. And after 06 came out people started revisiting the old games, with having grown up and understanding through other games to compare it to on their side, and realize the flaws in them. They aren't as horrible as people say sure, I think the N64 games of that era are just as dated, but it's hard to ignore the jank was coming in even as early as Heroes upon scrutinizing past games.

But then people around the world touted Unleashed's day levels when it came out, while condemning the night levels cause of repetitive music and not wanting to understand the mechanics to be honest. So it's hard to argue why people started to get back into the series when the "Boost era" started even if you like the "Adventure era" games, because Colors set a new standard and was the best game SINCE the original Adventure games, hell it was BETTER than the Adventure games in my opinion...and then Lost World happened which threw away the baseline of ideas that Colors and Day levels in Unleashed created in favor of riding Mario Galaxy's coat tails. Outside of Generations which smoothed out the 3D era gameplay and brought back Classic style gameplay as well, and Mania which is just a better Sonic 4 that Sonic fans were desiring and even people that grew up with 3D Sonics couldn't ignore the quality of, none of the games since have really been good, passable maybe if you're the kind of person who can forgive Forces' problems, but not good.

That's sort of why Sonic's looked at the way it is these days, it's released mainline 3D games are a roller coaster of quality and it went as far back as when they started making 3D games. And don't get me wrong I'm not saying his Genesis era side scrollers are the perfect games either, just that...by comparison it's hard for me personally to not agree that Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the best game in the franchise for a LONG time.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic Adventure DX

Most fun I've had with a casino or pinball.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think the reason this game didn't get knocked for gambling is because you play a game of skill rather then chance. As for why pokemon didn't get it... iirc this is why the game corners were taken out at some point.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Leal posted:

I think the reason this game didn't get knocked for gambling is because you play a game of skill rather then chance. As for why pokemon didn't get it... iirc this is why the game corners were taken out at some point.

reading this without context is immensely weird and fascinating

also i miss Game Corners

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic Adventure DX

Be careful not to drown extremely slowly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Remember that Antistasi Altis mod I was LP'ing? Well here is an offshoot of that mod for the Apex expansion. Its a little different, the core concept is the same (guerilla warfare) but instead of NATO backing us up we are fighting NATO, along with CSAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WomxLiIJwds

I'm not sure if this should go in here though, I do more editing in these videos, but I'm not sure a mod of a niche game will be worth making a proper thread for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic Adventure DX

Let's discuss cruelty in Sonic games these caged monkeys we kill are