Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Again rockstar only mentioned ps4 copies. The xbone version and the hd versions may be available in some indie stores. I wouldnt bank on being able to get one but i would assume some people will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

TBH the biggest problem I have with Rockstar quests is if everything turns out lovely it's no longer interesting when things turn out lovely despite your best effort.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DogonCrook posted:

So they didnt give you a choice whats your point? The lesson wouldnt be learnt if the outcome was rosy would it? Its a story thats how it works.

That kind of story works exactly once and the game was filled with them. Once that happens and you realize you used your gun to solve that problem and it didn't go well, you'd try not to use a gun in the future. But since the game doesn't allow for that freedom to apply that lesson, then that point is lost.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Sedisp posted:

Hopefully you get it but I wouldn't be surprised if the person just assumed they were getting it early like everyone else.

Straight up not giving copies to smaller chains I don't think has ever really been done.

This is the part I don't really understand though. Surely Rockstar isn't sending copies of the game directly to stores they like, they are sending copies of the games to distributors which sell them in bulk to whichever stores place an order.

It might work that in some countries they can convince distributors to only sell to specific outlets but they couldn't do that on a global scale. Rockstar don't have the much pull.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Nolgthorn posted:

I asked that specific question, then they gave me this evil grin. So I'm pretty sure I've tapped into the criminal underworld of the gaming community and am soon going to be in gaming Guantánamo Bay.

This post made me realize that modern videogames are essentially training platforms for prison stays, what with crafting systems, factions to gain or lose reputation with, anybody being a potential romantic partner if you play your cards right, and the occasional forced stealth section.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

This is the part I don't really understand though. Surely Rockstar isn't sending copies of the game directly to stores they like, they are sending copies of the games to distributors which sell them in bulk to whichever stores place an order.

It might work that in some countries they can convince distributors to only sell to specific outlets but they couldn't do that on a global scale. Rockstar don't have the much pull.

That's a good point I guess I just assumed mom and pop stores worked differently.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Jimbot posted:

That kind of story works exactly once and the game was filled with them. Once that happens and you realize you used your gun to solve that problem and it didn't go well, you'd try not to use a gun in the future. But since the game doesn't allow for that freedom to apply that lesson, then that point is lost.

Yeah i can agree with that i guess i misunderstood you, sorry. I think it probably depends how fast you play through these how jarring it is but thats a fair point. That said for its day i dont think they did that bad compared to other open world games. Witcher 3 did not exist yet.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Sedisp posted:

TBH the biggest problem I have with Rockstar quests is if everything turns out lovely it's no longer interesting when things turn out lovely despite your best effort.

Yeah, exactly. It has nothing to do with wanting a rosy ending or trying to play a good guy in an outlaw game. Subverting expectations becomes a predictable device in itself if you use it enough times. I have the same complaint with a lot of ASOIAF's writing

I think GTA5 did a fair enough job at mixing it up so hopefully that trend continues

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Unrelated but how many people shot the old mans wife and brother at the end there? The game should have aknowledged that imo. The devil guy should have been peeking over a rock going 'yesss haha yesss"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, exactly. It has nothing to do with wanting a rosy ending or trying to play a good guy in an outlaw game. Subverting expectations becomes a predictable device in itself if you use it enough times. I have the same complaint with a lot of ASOIAF's writing

A Dance with Dragons really dragged this out with a character who thought he was the chosen one and dies pitifully. I can't think of anything he actually accomplishes besides getting himself killed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DogonCrook posted:

Unrelated but how many people shot the old mans wife and brother at the end there? The game should have aknowledged that imo. The devil guy should have been peeking over a rock going 'yesss haha yesss"

Kill them, spare the old man. Let him die alone knowing I took from him exactly what he took from me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sedisp posted:

That and every quest giver being tremendously lovely and annoying and tedious like literally every quest giver in every Rockstar game save for two or three total

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

WarpDogs posted:

I think GTA5 did a fair enough job at mixing it up so hopefully that trend continues

Yeah the fact that they've added a bunch of nonviolent interactions you can have with random NPCs (as well as less-than-lethal stuff like threatening them into giving up) makes me optimistic.

Do we know when reviews will start hitting?

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah the fact that they've added a bunch of nonviolent interactions you can have with random NPCs (as well as less-than-lethal stuff like threatening them into giving up) makes me optimistic.

Do we know when reviews will start hitting?

Thursday I think.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Yeah, Thursday at 4am PDT

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Why are the subreddits freaking out?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Calaveron posted:

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Calaveron posted:

Because 24 seconds of gameplay leaked. There are the "omg preorder cancelled game sucks" responses because the bow clips through the hat or a guy takes three shots to kill while the rest of the responses are variations of "squeezing my hog to this."

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Calaveron posted:

Longbow clips through hat sometimes because video games aren't real.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The gently caress if that's the case no one buy another game ever

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Zutaten posted:

Longbow clips through hat sometimes because video games aren't real.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9qdqe2/why_the_ai_already_looks_phenomenal_in_this_game/e88oawd/

lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Well that is an elaborate sybian.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I hope this game plays well enough on a normal ps4. I don't play consoles enough to warrant buying a pro.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Did anyone NOT hogtie the sick woman and drop her in front of the doctor just for the hell of it ...or just me

Also american appetites, the guy in love with a horse and funny guy I think had ok endings. Also that scientist in blackwater even if he was product of his time racist

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I hope RDR2 has an undead nightmare mode. I loved that in the 1st game.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

full map from the guide

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Bardeh posted:

full map from the guide

so no mexico, too bad

still think it looks dippy this way, with so much space between old and new

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

At a glance, looks really close to the speculative map. Also, no mexico

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

What chances are there for map expansions in this game? My guess is zilch.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Worst easter egg

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GTA5's been out for 5 years and never got Las Venturas or San Fierro, so probably zero chance here.

Plus it'd probably take another 30 GB of space, assuming that some props and sfx and such are still reused.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pivit posted:

Because 24 seconds of gameplay leaked. There are the "omg preorder cancelled game sucks" responses because the bow clips through the hat or a guy takes three shots to kill while the rest of the responses are variations of "squeezing my hog to this."

What happens to the guy on the right? He kind of just dies without the player even aiming at him?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RCarr posted:

What happens to the guy on the right? He kind of just dies without the player even aiming at him?

Left hand gun is a shotgun, I suspect that is relevant.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm curious about the wanted level. It continues saying that the player is wanted and the bounty after he has killed all witnesses.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RCarr posted:

The bullet goes through the middle guy and hits him.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm curious about the wanted level. It continues saying that the player is wanted and the bounty after he has killed all witnesses.

Look at the x's on the mini map, he's been killing for a while.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

The Fool posted:

Look at the x's on the mini map, he's been killing for a while.

This is correct. Also, from previous bits of information make clear that bounties will raise pretty slowly. A bounty of $185 would be the product of several crimes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wear a bandana before you crime and then take it off after sheeesh noobs.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

full map from the guide

Potential for the return of Herbert Moon, as Armadillo is in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

He was already wanted and the sheriff's were investigating. He could have talked it thru with them (especially with a high reputation), instead he shot them. I think if you're already wanted, killing them is going to reset the wanted meter to 100. But I'm not sure what happens when more law enforcement shows up, maybe they reset to investigating.