Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
TV writers love head-characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lycus posted:

TV writers love head-characters.

You get to have a whole scene of people just talking and it still feels like a big deal! And since none of it's real it doesn't even have to advance the plot!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

soscannonballs posted:

I like how the DA was fine letting Fisk out in order to catch other criminals, but when the FBI agent was trying to make a deal which would have taken down Fisk and a whole bunch of federal agents he couldn't take jail time off the table

Seriously, that was some nonsense.

I just finished the season, and honestly didn’t get the same feeling of treading water that every other Marvel Netflix show has given me. Which isn’t to say it deserved a 13-episode order, but also didn’t feel like 8 episodes of material drawn out to 13 hours.

The last scene was ridiculous, though. It was like Sam Raimi directed but only for 30 seconds. Also, it seems like Bullseye shouldn’t be all that concerned about Daredevil...Fisk is the one who murdered Julie then paralyzed him. Matt’s kind of just a mild annoyance by comparison.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

You get to have a whole scene of people just talking and it still feels like a big deal! And since none of it's real it doesn't even have to advance the plot!

Sure, but I'd argue that they're primarily used here to give Matt someone to bounce off of. A big part of his arc has been his steady alienation of the people he's ostensibly close to, and since this season wants to keep that up he can't actually have conversations with anyone he's close to. So instead of giving us insight into his personality through conversations with other people, they do so by having him have conversations with himself.

I reckon they're also a way for Matt and Fisk to interact without actually having them face to face. (The plot seems to be deliberately keeping them apart to build tension and suspense.)

I don't think they work, but that's mostly down to Matt's imagination being weirdly visual. They throw a bone in the direction of this by blurring Fisk out a lot, but what bothers me is that Matt somehow gets the clothing right. IIRC Fisk's style changed after he got out of prison, and besides, Matt's blind. It's kind of funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it's a tired cliche but I was just commenting on why it's so prevalent, I don't object to it in Daredevil specifically. CW shows especially loving love to do it, but even more grounded things like The Good Wife have pulled that crap. Usually it's an excuse to bring back an actor who's character died.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Some really good use of surround sound in places in DDS3, which is something that a lot of TV shows don't bother with very much. Specifically all the head character bits come mainly out of the rear speakers and quietly out of the front speakers, whereas dialogue generally always comes entirely from the centre speaker. Lots of cool mixing with the foley work too, so the abundance of objects being tossed at high speed go whizzing from speaker to speaker. It's a really nice touch.

Also I greatly enjoyed that Bullseye is basically an incel manipulated by big strong daddy New York criminal tycoon man.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
Matt is deeply on the dark side for mocking Dex about the stuff he heard him saying on the child therapy tapes he stole from him and also using the trauma of him finding Julie's body (bad idea to be so lazy about clearing out your corpse fridge, antagonists) to direct him as a completely unpredictable lethal weapon toward a crowded party. He's treating him exactly the same as Fisk.

The 'stolen Nazi goods' background of the painting was plausible and fine but making a comparison between Fisk and the Nazis felt like a shallow observation. I think that using the Nazis as a trope of general evil and 'bad wolves' is annoying and wrong and media should not fall back on it all the time. It's lazy not to come up with a better idea.

ulex minor fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 22, 2018

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ulex minor posted:

The 'stolen Nazi goods' background of the painting was plausible and fine but making a comparison between Fisk and the Nazis felt like a shallow observation. I think that using the Nazis as a trope of general evil and 'bad wolves' is annoying and wrong and media should not fall back on it all the time. It's lazy not to come up with a better idea.

I agree, on all points. I did appreciate the nuance that even Fisk had a line. That could've been another moment where he's just Worst Bad Guy who doesn't even care about this Holocaust survivor, but I'm glad they went the other way. Also, it was pretty efficient storytelling later, that Dex is an overeager dog who really doesn't have a line and can't be controlled or trusted.

Are there any art historians in this thread, though? That painting looks so post-war Abstract Expressionist to me. Apparently these Polish Jews had a really modern aesthetic sensibility in the early 40's.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Just finished and overall I enjoyed it Fisk is an awesome villain and even with the melodrama is one of the better written characters across all the shows. Got a bit tired of “tortured soul” Matt but I get that’s just the character. Up there with DDS1 and JJS1 for me. Small things bug me though:

* when Matt gets Felix’s phone how does he call dex? Can he smell the pixels? Use Siri? I know there’s blind assist phones but that’s not his phone.

* the numeric keypad. No security keypad makes number specific tones, they’re not v1 push button phones

* when the SAC kills the dude in her kitchen, does the rest of the FBI just forget the guy exists? He’s internal affairs - him just up and disappearing should raise a shitstorm even if he’s part of the NY office

But overall it was fun, amazing how much better the fights are than JJ/LC/IF. The first two I get Jessica and luke are just really strong but I’m glad they cancelled IF - besides the daughters of the dragon it had no redeeming qualities.

Oh and I really liked Nadeem. He was human and believable. I felt for that dude.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Gumby posted:

(Spoiler on character death) Julie died on-camera. In both ways, as she was killed in the hotel by two guys posing as construction workers while Fisk watched via his creepy cameras.

Goons are bad at watching TV, I totally missed this.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ulex minor posted:

Matt is deeply on the dark side for mocking Dex about the stuff he heard him saying on the child therapy tapes he stole from him and also using the trauma of him finding Julie's body (bad idea to be so lazy about clearing out your corpse fridge, antagonists) to direct him as a completely unpredictable lethal weapon toward a crowded party. He's treating him exactly the same as Fisk.

I'm also wandering if the "Nazis stole this art," was supposed to hint at Vanessa's crimes due to the whole "this was not her painting to sell," thing. Like maybe she knew about its history or did other shadey poo poo to curate her art galleries.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ulex minor posted:

My read of that scene was completely different. I didn't get the impression that there was any attempted comparison between Fisk and Nazis. Rather there was his acknowledgement that her sentimental claim to the paint is as great, if not greater, than his own, followed then by him stating that he will respect that, because Vanessa would want that. It hammers home that the only reason he is not a complete monster and takes the painting anyway is that he, like Dex, is using Vanessa like a North Star.

This sets up just what the implications are when Vanessa later demands to be an active participant in the crimes he commit, and immediately takes the initiative to be more ruthless than he is. The person he considered his sole source of moral guidance instead begins to push him to become even more of a monster.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm not done with S3 of Daredevil yet, but theres one thing I don't get, that I don't think they'll explain.

Why the hell was the safehouse they gave to Fisk a penthouse, and not just some roach motel piece of poo poo that would have been easier to patrol and defend and cause less protests?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Fulchrum posted:

I'm not done with S3 of Daredevil yet, but theres one thing I don't get, that I don't think they'll explain.

Why the hell was the safehouse they gave to Fisk a penthouse, and not just some roach motel piece of poo poo that would have been easier to patrol and defend and cause less protests?

It does get explained later, although not explicitly: He had already turned Nadeem's boss at that point, so she could give him whatever he wanted under the guise of negotiating with his lawyers.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Fulchrum posted:

Because Fisk had planned every little detail and started pressuring the FBI agents involved long before his first appearance this season. Ray's FBI boss was under Fisk's thumb from the beginning and helped orchestrate the whole deal.

e;fb

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

It does get explained later, although not explicitly: He had already turned Nadeem's boss at that point, so she could give him whatever he wanted under the guise of negotiating with his lawyers.

Wait, we were supposed to not know that? I thought we were supposed to just assume that given her disingenuous poo poo about keeping him poor and vulnerable. But I thought the decision was out of her hands.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In addition to what others have said, Fisk was calling most of the shots if they wanted his cooperation at all. He was giving them good intel and had more that the feds wanted from him. And, yes, more is explained later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Considering Nadeem was obviously being groomed by Fisk, I thought her boss' explanation for not giving him the promotion was pretty satisfactory, though it did become more obvious later on that she was on Fisk's payroll. Specifically when she had them sit down at a table covered in plastic tarp.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
This season was really good.

RE: the last episode stinger scene
I know they have to dance around Avengers' names and say "the big green guy" or "the guy with the magic hammer" due to licensing rights or whatever, but I never thought they'd have to say "cogmium steel" instead of adamantium for the same reasons.

Also, you're all in denial if you don't realize that the real REAL badguy in the entire Netflix Marvel canon is Ben Donovan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The A-word is strictly Fox's until the sale is finalized. Cogmium is a memory metal that reasserts its assigned shape no matter how you bend, melt or break it, which is more desirable for vertebrae than other metals.

Also was anyone else sad that Turk didn't show up at all this season?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 23, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They can absolutely say Captain America or Hulk. They just don't. It's stupid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man I heard of the neti pot from you guys but I can't keep myself from smiling now that I'm here. I do wish they'd used it a few times to really flush things out of their system.

It's in the first episode so don't worry, it's not a spoiler.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yeah smdh matt if you'd used it a couple more times i bet you woulda gotten that clot out entirely and not spent a chunk of time at half power

smh not also rinsing the other nostril as well ... do you even neti pot matt?? you some kinda neti scrub??

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I was also mad that Matt left Melvin to be killed by FIsk's corrupt cops. Its not consistent at all to help Nadeem and not Melvin considering they are both acting under extreme duress.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Matt's inner thoughts also gave himself a lot of poo poo for that choice though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This Karen episode owns.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

e10 (and also born again I guess ??): I'll admit my butt was kinda clenched for a lot of the church fight b/c while I do not believe they will kill Karen on this show, there was still the slim chance they might!! I really dug the imagery of her cradling Matt after the fight, ffs as she does it she even says 'he's gone' in relation to Bullseye getting away. Clever girls, DDS3. Clever girl.

For all the chatter right before the season started that they were only using Born Again as a loose inspiration, they sure are taking a lot of poo poo directly from it lmao. It's definitely doing it's own spin but way more faithful than I expected. Little tings like having Rev. Paul jump in front of Karen instead of Karen in front of Matt. Hell, they even worked in a Karen on drugs storyline by making it her past lmbo, and had her simply confirming Kingpin's suspicions about DD being Matt rather than having her sell the information for drugs and it get to him that way. I appreciate an adaptation that moves things around/does mostly its own thing but keeps it faithful in other ways.

Also in general all the stuff w/ Maggie is v good. I haven't felt bored or like my time has been wasted yet in 10 episodes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

esperterra posted:

e10 (and also born again I guess ??): I'll admit my butt was kinda clenched for a lot of the church fight b/c while I do not believe they will kill Karen on this show, there was still the slim chance they might!! I really dug the imagery of her cradling Matt after the fight, ffs as she does it she even says 'he's gone' in relation to Bullseye getting away. Clever girls, DDS3. Clever girl.

For all the chatter right before the season started that they were only using Born Again as a loose inspiration, they sure are taking a lot of poo poo directly from it lmao. It's definitely doing it's own spin but way more faithful than I expected. Little tings like having Rev. Paul jump in front of Karen instead of Karen in front of Matt. Hell, they even worked in a Karen on drugs storyline by making it her past lmbo, and had her simply confirming Kingpin's suspicions about DD being Matt rather than having her sell the information for drugs and it get to him that way. I appreciate an adaptation that moves things around/does mostly its own thing but keeps it faithful in other ways.

Also in general all the stuff w/ Maggie is v good. I haven't felt bored or like my time has been wasted yet in 10 episodes.

I don't really read the comics, but based on what you're saying, every single change from the comic book saga is a huge improvement.

Anyway, I dunno how I feel about Daredevil season 3. It was "okay", but very reactionary, and I really didn't enjoy their take on Bullseye (should I even spoiler this? going to, just to be safe). Admittedly, it might have been accurate to some saga/rendition of the character, Daredevil definitely wasn't one of the superheroes I used to read, but all in all, I just think the character didn't quite work for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think he's accurate to the comics in the sense that the Netflix version's default state is to be the character from the comics, but he has worked very hard not to be.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've been digging this take on Bullseye.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

S3 E7 Goddamn, why are Kingpin and Melvin always so loving solid? I'm guessing the shirt was a easter egg of him in his iconic hero outfit.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think they should had the break happen a little earlier in the season so the last 2 or 3 episodes have Kingpin publicly on the rise again but inwardly it's all going to poo poo because they've lost control of Bullseye who now hates Fisk as much as he wants to kill Daredevil. Basically giving Fisk a moment of "oh poo poo I may have gone too far this time" near the end would have been a bit more effective. As it is, that doesn't happen until the finale and then Matt basically uses Dex as a battering ram into the penthouse and then stops him from doing anything, it basically jumps straight to this slightly odd 3 way fight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah, I wanna say, the scene where Fisk speechifies the angry crowd into basically siding with him was really well done. The actual speech he gave could've been a little bit better written, but the delivery of it, the music, and the visual of the protest signs slowly coming down was all really good at conveying the power of Kingpin's words. After all, for all his physical might, it's with words that he's achieved his terrifying crime empire. I also dig that just enough of his rhetoric echoed that of Trump's to kind of make a point, but not so much of it that it was distracting.

E: Oh yeah, might as well crosspost my full review I made in BSS' TV thread.

Lurdiak posted:

All right so I finished the season. I really enjoyed it overall. But now I'm gonna complain a lot.

So first of all the reasoning to have Matt never wear the daredevil suit at any point was all very handwave-y and flimsy. It's obvious that was mostly done or marketing purposes (It's good again!) and possibly because Charlie Cox was tired of wearing the bulky suit. Even the whole "framing daredevil" thing felt a little half baked. Like I could totally believe that was a late rewrite. Like every time he was fighting people I couldn't help but think "Gee, having some extra padding sure would be useful to keep from being horribly beat up!". It was especially glaring when he was fighting Bullseye. Like the suit would probably protect you from all that stabbing!

This season's biggest problem is the same as season 1's: Fisk's complete control of the city and ability to get every single witness killed makes him look way too overwhelmingly impossible to take down, bordering nearly on the John Wick situation of everyone being an assassin. Half the characters in any scene are probably working for Fisk, and he can get to anyone anywhere within minutes. As soon as someone goes "I have the evidence to stop Fisk" a gun materializes and shoots them in the head. And I understand this creates this sense of inescapable danger our heroes have to surmount, but it feels very goofy when this unstoppable mastermind is, once again, defeated by basically just being punched in the face. The one piece of evidence that took him down didn't really feel like it would matter that much considering it came from someone he'd already discredited, but then Daredevil just kicks his rear end and he surrenders and abandons all his leverage because his wife is threatened, even though threatening Kingpin's wife was what made Murdock his mortal enemy in the first place.

I really liked the theming in the first few episodes of Fisk seemingly achieving some measure of redemption in the name of love by cooperating with the FBI, while Matt sank to darker depths to try and stop him. I thought that was an interesting parallel, and I would've liked to see it continue a bit longer. But then Fisk revealed his hand fairly early on and Matt just kind of stopped being all that grim for like 6 episodes until he remembered right before the end that this was the season where he gets dark. Another way this is undermined is that, even when Matt is cutting off all contact with his friends and denouncing God and everything, his actions are never anywhere near as brutal as they were in season 1. He violently tortured people, put people in near comas, beat people to within an inch of their lives in season 1. And while I thought that made him kind of hard to root for in that context, if this is supposed to be the season where he steps into the shadows and might actually kill Fisk (even though we knew he wouldn't), maybe cranking up his violence and meanness would've been effective in showing that. Instead he was just kind of rude to everyone.

The fact that Bullseye inexplicably didn't kill a single security guard at Fisk's wedding even though we've seen him kill random bystanders just to vent his frustrations countless times before then feels extremely convenient in absolving Matt of any guilt for winding up the death machine and pointing it at the crowd. And if he was going in planning to kill Fisk, there was no reason to stop Bullseye from doing it. And if he didn't plan to kill Fisk, why risk involving the incredibly murderous psycho in the first place?

I don't really have a problem with crippling Bullseye to take him out of the 3-way fight, but it felt like something that didn't really affect the story at all and was just put in there because Bullseye was crippled in the comics at one point, even though the entire context was different.

Anyway yeah, pretty good, too bad we won't be getting more.

E: Oh yeah, the actress who played the FBI boss lady sounded almost exactly like The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3 and kinda looked like her and it was really distracting.

Some of the things I got wrong in there have already been addressed so you don't gotta correct me.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 23, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xealot posted:

Are there any art historians in this thread, though? That painting looks so post-war Abstract Expressionist to me. Apparently these Polish Jews had a really modern aesthetic sensibility in the early 40's.

I am not an art historian (but I am Jewish lol) But iirc there was a pretty big expressionist/modern boom during Nazi Germany. Surprise, surprise, Nazis HATED it and labeled it "Degenerate Art". Well artists ironically embraced the title and there was a big Degenerate Art exhibit in Munich which went over about as well as you'd expect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_art

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Finished the season. I really enjoyed it overall.

The only two real plot inconsistencies that bugged me was Fisk has been planning this for some time. He's been putting pressure on the right people at the FBI, and purchased that hotel and made preparations. However he really sells that the catalyst for him starting to cooperate is the FBI charging Vanessa. Was that genuine? It doesn't seem like he'd mess around with Vanessa's legal status since she's the one thing he really cares about. Was it simply a coincidence that he put together this complex plot and when he needed an excuse to start cooperating someone at the FBI out of his control just decided to threaten his girlfriend finally after two years?

Second is what happened with the Albanians. It was a major plot point to find out why Fisk choose to turn on them instead of any other organized crime, that's why Matt went to have the awesome jail riot scene. He never learned why Fisk choose them, and he made a promise to deliver Fisk back to them, which seems to have been ignored. Either Fisk does go back to that prison and the Albanians kill him, which makes Matt just as guilty and negates one of the major points of the season, or Fisk goes to a different super max prison, in which case the Albanians threatened to come after Matt.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

counterfeitsaint posted:

Finished the season. I really enjoyed it overall.

The only two real plot inconsistencies that bugged me was Fisk has been planning this for some time. He's been putting pressure on the right people at the FBI, and purchased that hotel and made preparations. However he really sells that the catalyst for him starting to cooperate is the FBI charging Vanessa. Was that genuine? It doesn't seem like he'd mess around with Vanessa's legal status since she's the one thing he really cares about. Was it simply a coincidence that he put together this complex plot and when he needed an excuse to start cooperating someone at the FBI out of his control just decided to threaten his girlfriend finally after two years?

Second is what happened with the Albanians. It was a major plot point to find out why Fisk choose to turn on them instead of any other organized crime, that's why Matt went to have the awesome jail riot scene. He never learned why Fisk choose them, and he made a promise to deliver Fisk back to them, which seems to have been ignored. Either Fisk does go back to that prison and the Albanians kill him, which makes Matt just as guilty and negates one of the major points of the season, or Fisk goes to a different super max prison, in which case the Albanians threatened to come after Matt.

I think the first part is all a ruse, like his stabbing. He needs Nadeem to believe he has Fisk cornered, so Fisk makes FBI lady charge the girlfriend, so Nadeem can give Fisk the news and Fisk can play sad puppy. you win, mean FBI man. Nadeem thinks he has the upper hand but every string is being pulled by Fisk, real charges may not even have been filed, it could have just been fake paperwork given to Nadeem so he says the magic words to Fisk so he can put the next step into motion. He just wants it to LOOK legitimate to the public, like he's changed.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

counterfeitsaint posted:

Regarding the albanians: I think the reason they got picked is because in Fisk's absence, they'd gotten their hands on all the corrupt officials in New York. Fisk pointed at them so that the FBI would take down both the Albanians and those corrupt officials. (the FBI mention that they caught quite a few officials during their raid on the albanians). This leaves Fisk as the only criminal in New York who's able to influence law enforcement and prosecution, and thus he is able to "tax" the rest of the underworld for his protection. As a bonus, he demonstrated with them his capability to use the FBI as his enforcers.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Finally finished Luke Cage season 2. It was interesting what his character was becoming, too bad we probably won’t get to see it continue!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
On that ruse:
It probably stems from the pridefulness Nadeem goes on about near the end of his story arc. I mean, he walks in asleep at the wheel to meet Fisk, thinks he's the guy all of a sudden and gets played hard for ego tripping. Though I didn't think most of his actions after his wife gave him the duffel bag were all that egregious, so his realization speech fell flat for me.

As for the pacing. While the latter half of the series wasn't overly stuffed with content like I joked about, it still was vastly improved and I'm sticking to my guns that it was probably 10 episodes worth of material stretched to 13 again.

Also I can't decide if ep10's first half was too much or needed like 3-5 more minutes of something to flesh out the sequence. Not saying I'm right, just saying that thinking about it now I still want to smother all of the involved characters with a giant pillow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't know about everybody else, but the way Luke Cage has currently ended is super depressing and hosed up and they need a Season 3.

Right now it's "Harlem had a hero, but we're leaving his story where he's on the path to becoming exactly like the villains he fought. The End."

gently caress. That.