Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mode 7 posted:

I think people lose sight of the fact that Red Dead Redemption came out eight years ago.

Far Away playing when you enter Mexico isn't really anything special these days, but eight years ago it was mind-blowing.

I think RDR was one of the most incredible games I ever played -- at the time. I haven't gone back and I'm not sure I want to, because I'm willing to bet it really, really doesn't hold up as well as it does in my mind.

I replayed a decent chunk of it this year and honestly, it more-or-less holds up. It does feel a little less polished than it did first time around, and it's easier to spot the padding and filler, but the only real 'complaint' I had is just not being able to control how John reacts to stuff like we'll be able to with Arthur.

RDR was a masterpiece and imo that hasn't faded significantly in the eight years since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The entire time I thought RDR man was played by John DiMaggio

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Qubee posted:

I watched Bone Tomahawk last night and it did nothing to lessen my hype for this game. gently caress. Any other badass cowboy movies you guys recommend? List a poo poo tonne cause I've watched a poo poo tonne.

Here's a few I don't remember seeing listed in the past week or two

1. In a Valley of Violence (what if John Wick was just an o.k. western?)
2. Slow West (what if a movie really lived up to its name in a compelling way?)
3. The Timber (what if you wanted to feel really cold just by watching a movie?)
4. The Dark Valley (ever seen a German western set in the Alps? You should.)
5. Brimstone (what if Guy Pierce was super loving twisted in a western that wasn't The Proposition?)
6. Ballad of Lefty Brown (what if Bill Pullman was in a variation of Unforgiven?)

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 23, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Calaveron posted:

"But you FBI use the forbidden machina! You know what that means, ya? Dutch was born because people used machina!"

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I wish R* would let PSN and XBL unlock the digital copies at 9pm local since every store selling the physical copies is doing so at 9pm local.

Feels bad. :smith:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Speaking of songs happening on really important bits on the story, i saw a loving grizzly bear interrupt "Compass" at the same exact moment twice on two completely seperate playthroughs. did that happen to anybody else?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Macintosh HD posted:

I wish R* would let PSN and XBL unlock the digital copies at 9pm local since every store selling the physical copies is doing so at 9pm local.

Feels bad. :smith:

Depends on your internet connection because I think physical folks need to download a 50GB patch, so you may be playing before then anyways

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

It was literally a guy for whom RDR was his only major acting gig. He left the industry because of bullshit and went to live someplace in like Indiana.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 23, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's weird to me seeing people talk about physical copies for RDR2 and making sure they get their discs on time. I feel like we have stepped back in time to 10 years ago. I have my digital copy on Xbox One X all pre-loaded and ready to go. I'm avoiding any and all spoilers and so far haven't seen anything with regards to the leaks about the map other than it's out there.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Timby posted:

It was literally a guy for whom RDR was his only major acting gig. He left the industry because of bullshit and went to live someplace in like Indiana.

He has a wife and kids. Soon the Rockstar guys are going to send the army to plug him.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ahhh forgot how lovely the story turns out for the revolutionary Mexican woman. That one just pissed me off.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Timby posted:

Yeah, according to that mini-doc, he works manual labor gigs in Southern Indiana. Which is also the area I'm from, and I'm 99% certain he did some roofing work on a building just down the block from where I used to live, because I'm pretty sure I heard the voice of John Marston coming from the roof of a 3 story building one day while I was waiting for the bus.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tercio posted:

'Far Away' is wildly overrated as a gaming experience.
I preferred "Compass" over it

the_american_dream posted:

Ahhh forgot how lovely the story turns out for the revolutionary Mexican woman. That one just pissed me off.
Naming the evil governor Allende is also pretty lovely, though that's probably a coincidence

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

It's weird to me seeing people talk about physical copies for RDR2 and making sure they get their discs on time. I feel like we have stepped back in time to 10 years ago. I have my digital copy on Xbox One X all pre-loaded and ready to go. I'm avoiding any and all spoilers and so far haven't seen anything with regards to the leaks about the map other than it's out there.

Did you not realise games still come out on discs or what

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I live in one of the most technologically "forward" areas of the entire country and RDR2 would be 10% of my bandwidth cap and would take most of a day to download

can't imagine what'd it be like for people with much lower caps or much slower internet. Discs will always have a place

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I just like having physical copies of things.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

winter.mute posted:

Here's a few I don't remember seeing listed in the past week or two

1. In a Valley of Violence (what if John Wick was just an o.k. western?)
2. Slow West (what if a movie really lived up to its name in a compelling way?)
3. The Timber (what if you wanted to feel really cold just by watching a movie?)
4. The Dark Valley (ever seen a German western set in the Alps? You should.)
5. Brimstone (what if Guy Pierce was super loving twisted in a western that wasn't The Proposition?)
6. Ballad of Lefty Brown (what if Bill Pullman was in a variation of Unforgiven?)

These all sound brilliant, I appreciate the little synopsis beside each.

-wrong thread-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 23, 2018

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Qubee posted:

I watched Bone Tomahawk last night and it did nothing to lessen my hype for this game. gently caress. Any other badass cowboy movies you guys recommend? List a poo poo tonne cause I've watched a poo poo tonne.

I watched the original Django movie after the Tarantino one came out by sheer accident.

It was fuckin amazing.

Still haven’t seen the Tarantino one.

There are like 30 Django movies but you want the one with the dude dragging the mysterious coffin around the whole time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, according to that mini-doc, he works manual labor gigs in Southern Indiana. Which is also the area I'm from, and I'm 99% certain he did some roofing work on a building just down the block from where I used to live, because I'm pretty sure I heard the voice of John Marston coming from the roof of a 3 story building one day while I was waiting for the bus.

Didn't he say that he and his wife didn't want to raise a family in a big city, and that he originally had small-town Midwestern roots? It's been years since I've seen that.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I ordered the Ultimate Edition directly from Rockstar and it still hasn't shipped yet :saddowns:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I said come in! posted:

The problem is RDR2 is like 100gb to download.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It's heaps cheaper getting Physical over Digital too. At least in Aus.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

UnknownMercenary posted:

I ordered the Ultimate Edition directly from Rockstar and it still hasn't shipped yet :saddowns:

Did you get the email that said they are going to try and get them to you in time for release day? I got that one a few days ago in my spam bin.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fargin Icehole posted:

Speaking of songs happening on really important bits on the story

gently caress I don’t remember any amazing moments with songs at all! Either I just didn’t like the song or just interrupted them by shooting a horse or something.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Timby posted:

Did someone mention the guy who voiced John Marston?

https://youtu.be/_NuYx8oP_S8

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

goferchan posted:

Depends on your internet connection because I think physical folks need to download a 50GB patch, so you may be playing before then anyways

I remember someone saying that the patch is less than 3 GB.

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

Man I am so loving hyped about this game. I miss getting hyped about stuff like this. I'm going to be as white hat as possible, most likely. I'm the rear end in a top hat who would go to westworld and help some robot paint a fence. Of course I suspect the narrative and just general untrustworthiness of certain folk will drive me down darker paths.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Alligator Tower posted:

Man I am so loving hyped about this game. I miss getting hyped about stuff like this. I'm going to be as white hat as possible, most likely. I'm the rear end in a top hat who would go to westworld and help some robot paint a fence. Of course I suspect the narrative and just general untrustworthiness of certain folk will drive me down darker paths.

I get the feeling I'll start mostly being white hat, but eventually say "gently caress it" and go full-Trevor robbing people and shooting horses/people ten times in the dick with Deadeye for funsies. Full on Scalise dick mutilator simulator.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I always play these games as Neutral Good, but this time around I think I'm going to be a real scrotum of a human being, just an utter bastard. Just making GBS threads on peoples' lives for no reason other than "it's fun". Instead of defusing fights, I'll antagonize everyone I come across: "why good sir, you bumped into me, an apology is in orde-" deadeye his head into a red cloud of mist.

I'll probably do a 180 and become a devout Christian frontierman when the bounty hunters get too ridiculous.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm gonna be too scared to kill anyone in case I miss one of their 8000 lines of unique, witty dialogue.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Tercio posted:

I remember liking it a lot when I first played the game. I also remember the time I replayed it and about 30 seconds into the song, a cougar attacked and killed my horse, I flopped to the floor and the song immediately shut off, which was a pretty good gaming experience in its own way.

I haven't played RDR in years and years though. I wonder if, now I'm older, and know more about history and politics, I would get really mad at how the Mexican Revolution is portrayed in the game. I remember you fight for both sides but not much more.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tercio posted:

I never heard it in-game, because as soon as I got on my horse in Mexico I accidentally got off it again. Instead I just had an awesome thunderstorm at night with the game’s regular score playing.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
The only time I played RDR.

I moved into an IRL house with new roommates one had a PS3. One day while he was at work I popped in RDR and loaded the first save.

I was standing in a town with lots of pleasant people which seemed to admire me. I was playing around with the buttons and pulled out my rifle. Then I locked on to the nearest person, a woman, and shot her in the face. The resulting massacre was one I still remember. People were running everywhere, I killed as many as I could and then the game autosaved.

I turned it off and never spoke of it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

winter.mute posted:

has anyone ever really had any problems with amazon delivering on release day or are these just cases of anxious people hyped up and afraid of missing out on day one?

Nintendo switch

Elerion
May 31, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I bought a PS4 Pro to play the game, but will likely sell it off once I am done with it. Physical game copy lets me get some of my money back for that as well. If I am finished before Christmas, I expect prices to be pretty high still.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

WarpDogs posted:

I live in one of the most technologically "forward" areas of the entire country and RDR2 would be 10% of my bandwidth cap and would take most of a day to download

can't imagine what'd it be like for people with much lower caps or much slower internet. Discs will always have a place

What country do you live in, Latveria?

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Lambert posted:

Far Away bugs out really easily, it didn't play for me because I paused the game to go to the toilet.

When it started playing in my playthrough it was the most affecting thing ever in a video game for me... for about 15 seconds and then a pack of wolves tore my horse and I apart and the song was interrupted due to the combat music.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
I played Revolver as well as Redemption. I am not a completionist and I was so into the world I actually took the time to max out the challenges and earn the Legend of the West outfit. Anyway, rewatching all of this footage from Redemption I am reminded of how this game had a much more serious tone than the GTA games (maybe barring 4). Here's hoping they keep the story fairly serious, I like silly stuff but I am really hoping they bring home a dramatic story. (Haha yeah I know it's Rockstar).

Not to sound like a psychopath but I hope there are hangings, or you can hang people, it just adds more realism to the world and makes it feel more bleak. If you want to read a bleak rear end Western before Friday, pick up Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZKJLJeK-c

This is the best RDR song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Calaveron posted:

What country do you live in, Latveria?