Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Yall did testing to find out system requirements?? :eyepop:

don't tell anyone but i just looked at the sysreq for a very popular game also made with clickteam fusion 2.5 and just said 'yeap that looks good'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty princess
Jan 3, 2010

-|-
/ \

baby puzzle posted:

Friends, could you please look at this rough draft of a trailer for my game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZpjj9Hbjo

It isn't done.. it doesn't even have the game's name on it yet. However I want to be sure I'm on the right track.

It looks like a fun game, keep up the good work. Personally I would display text during gameplay, not cut to black w/ moving white text and cut back.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

pretty princess posted:

It looks like a fun game, keep up the good work. Personally I would display text during gameplay, not cut to black w/ moving white text and cut back.

I did that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91cCd1qXtY But I have newer revisions that are better/shorter that I haven't bothered to upload. I'm fairly happy with it now.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Yall did testing to find out system requirements?? :eyepop:

don't tell anyone but i just looked at the sysreq for a very popular game also made with clickteam fusion 2.5 and just said 'yeap that looks good'

lol, right?

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

GPUs with bigger numbers than the HD4000 (Intel Core 3xxx mobile or 4xxx desktop) or the GT730 make up 50% of the market. That's really all I look at.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
well, boys, I hit the big time

my game is now being shamelessly re-uploaded to dozens of game portals without my permission and sure as hell with no payment

I would be mad if I weren't kind of flattered, and also getting paid enough by the sites that are compensating me that I probably shouldn't give a poo poo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

well, boys, I hit the big time

my game is now being shamelessly re-uploaded to dozens of game portals without my permission and sure as hell with no payment

I would be mad if I weren't kind of flattered, and also getting paid enough by the sites that are compensating me that I probably shouldn't give a poo poo

Would you consider it a 'game for kids'?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Fangz posted:

Would you consider it a 'game for kids'?

I mean, the gameplay is all ages but the Macy's Parade Anime Tiddies are PG13 at best

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
You know you have to draw this out into a series, right?

...and that if you do so, you may wind up making more revenue than half the thread?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Discendo Vox posted:

You know you have to draw this out into a series, right?

...and that if you do so, you may wind up making more revenue than half the thread?

oh hell yeah, I've already started sprite work for the sequel

I'm actually fighting myself on whether or not to stay the course re: outrageous boobs, on the one hand it is a very skeevy tactic but on the other hand the reactions have been really funny it did seriously improve the game's success, but also that's what skeevy corporations think when they do skeevy stuff for money

but I also don't know if dramatically changing the main character's appearance moving forward would compromise my-- sorry, trying to say this without laughing-- compromise my artistic integrity

John, I am the demons

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lunatic Sledge posted:

oh hell yeah, I've already started sprite work for the sequel

I'm actually fighting myself on whether or not to stay the course re: outrageous boobs, on the one hand it is a very skeevy tactic but on the other hand the reactions have been really funny it did seriously improve the game's success, but also that's what skeevy corporations think when they do skeevy stuff for money

but I also don't know if dramatically changing the main character's appearance moving forward would compromise my-- sorry, trying to say this without laughing-- compromise my artistic integrity

John, I am the demons

Just do what Tomb Raider did where you stay the course until the series is in decline, then you redesign the character to be more "realistic" looking when you try to revive the franchise with a gritty reboot.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

anothergod posted:

lol, right?

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

GPUs with bigger numbers than the HD4000 (Intel Core 3xxx mobile or 4xxx desktop) or the GT730 make up 50% of the market. That's really all I look at.

I had completely forgotten about the steam HW survey. I wish you could expand the "other" section though, I wanna see who's rocking something like a matrox parhelia in 2018

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Spent half the day re-capturing and re-creating my App Preview in widescreen 1080p. With that, I think my press kit is complete... now to see if any press will bite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrWQhVJHYs

Anybody have any tips for contacting press?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my only tip is contact everything and expect to get absolutely nothing

i lie tip #2 is ignore it if some editor is rude as hell to you, just note it and never contact them again

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just do what Tomb Raider did where you stay the course until the series is in decline, then you redesign the character to be more "realistic" looking when you try to revive the franchise with a gritty reboot.

Just remember to cut the characters age in half when you make the reboot, can't have a game featuring an "older" woman after all.

I really wanted to show my own project but I hosed it over and it won't run properly so I hope that posting about it here will help me get off my rear end and fix it.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
If your goal is to make a number on a website somewhere go up then yes, having big anime tits in your game will achieve that goal. If your goal is to make a good game then no, adding big anime tits will not achieve that goal.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Escape Goat posted:

Spent half the day re-capturing and re-creating my App Preview in widescreen 1080p. With that, I think my press kit is complete... now to see if any press will bite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrWQhVJHYs

Anybody have any tips for contacting press?

Looks slick! One scattershot you should do is to send a press release, along with screenshots and link to the trailer, to https://www.gamespress.com/. Check out some of the press releases there if you don't already have one and you're not familiar with the format.

Here's the instructions on how to submit: https://www.gamespress.com/about_howtosubmit.asp. The first option there works just fine, you can safely ignore the fancier approaches.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Whybird posted:

If your goal is to make a number on a website somewhere go up then yes, having big anime tits in your game will achieve that goal. If your goal is to make a good game then no, adding big anime tits will not achieve that goal.

Big anime tits are a tool like any other. You must know what they can do for you and what they cannot. An expert knows all their tools and selects them with care, neither dismissing them too soon nor applying them where inappropriate. A master can achieve surprising results by using them in unorthodox ways.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I caved and added a double-click to run feature. It's straight out of Benny Hill. I love it. It's a keeper.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Oh that is just perfect.

I got inspired while watching Roguelike Celebration talks (especially this one about and by ADOM creator Thomas Biskup) and reworked our ability system so that any ability is just a combination of a bunch of independent conditions & effects.

Tool window in Unity:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

j.peeba posted:

Looks slick! One scattershot you should do is to send a press release, along with screenshots and link to the trailer, to https://www.gamespress.com/. Check out some of the press releases there if you don't already have one and you're not familiar with the format.

Here's the instructions on how to submit: https://www.gamespress.com/about_howtosubmit.asp. The first option there works just fine, you can safely ignore the fancier approaches.

Thank you!

I have a little experience writing press releases because that's how things were done at the company I worked for (even for internal corporate apps, you'd write a press release).

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

my only tip is contact everything and expect to get absolutely nothing

i lie tip #2 is ignore it if some editor is rude as hell to you, just note it and never contact them again

I've had my expectations for sales quite low since I started this project, but I'll admit I hadn't realized that there might just be a void where not even press responds. I guess it's tiresome getting tons of emails every day hawking their game.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

I caved and added a double-click to run feature. It's straight out of Benny Hill. I love it. It's a keeper.

This is hilarious and also beautiful.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Escape Goat posted:

I've had my expectations for sales quite low since I started this project, but I'll admit I hadn't realized that there might just be a void where not even press responds. I guess it's tiresome getting tons of emails every day hawking their game.

It's not gamedev related but recently I've been getting ahold of people with a message akin to, "Hey, I would like to pay money for the services that you advertise," and 85% of them haven't responded.

It's astounding the cavalier approach people take to the things that make them money (as I type this at work).

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
How do you guys deal with writer's block, but for software development? Because I'm having trouble lately staying inspired and motivated.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Motivation is for suckers, you need determination/grit/whatever you want to call it.
But seriously though - you gotta... just push ahead.
What works for me - and I'm sure you've heard this before - is trying to do at least something each day to keep momentum going.
Making it a routine fits me well, so every night when I make it home I first cook & eat and then work on the game before "allowing" myself to succumb to other entertainment (I mean I usually still spend like 20 min browsing the 'net post-dinner, but I don't start playing a game or watching a show before I've worked on the game for a bit... and "a bit" often turns into "oh it's time for bed already".

Right now I'm in the very fortunate position of having about 40 minutes time to goof off post-launch, so while the most of the rest of the team plays Rocket League I use that time to work on Escape from Aeon.

For me having another person on the team is very good as well (even if they spend less time on the project than you do) for accountability and just to bounce ideas around and stuff. But I've also had some previous projects that fell apart after a few weeks since the other person just totally stopped and recovering from that is extra difficult.

(and of course this advice comes from the perspective of a childless/spouseless 20-something goon so YMMV)

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Love Stole the Day posted:

How do you guys deal with writer's block, but for software development? Because I'm having trouble lately staying inspired and motivated.

For me, what works is sitting my rear end down and doing stuff. You'll probably not get your 8 hours worth out of it, but any little bit that works will feel like you're getting on the right path. Inspiration is something you can't really afford when you're on the clock.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I found the creepiest loving bug last night before going to bed, and it scared the poo poo out of me. The game's audio suddenly turned into a loud screech, while half of the screen turned white. The game was still working, but extremely slowly, and I couldn't get out of it without ctrl-alt-deleting. So, imagine me sitting at my computer in the dark, futzing around with the game, when suddenly I hear this loud screeching and my screen went bright white, and I couldn't alt-tab away.

Apparently, the bug made it possible for multiple audio threads to be created, which caused the screeching audio. The screen turning white came from an audio visualizer effect that of course was not working properly due to the audio thread problem. The strange lagginess was because the audio thread has realtime priority, and two of them was slowing everything down.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I keep going by cloning systems or aspects of systems from existing games in tiny projects I never publish. It can push you through blocks by giving you experience with thinking about projects from different directions. IME working on the same thing too long can risk sinking into a "genre rut" where you assume you have to do things a specific way.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

baby puzzle posted:

I found the creepiest loving bug last night before going to bed, and it scared the poo poo out of me. The game's audio suddenly turned into a loud screech, while half of the screen turned white. The game was still working, but extremely slowly, and I couldn't get out of it without ctrl-alt-deleting. So, imagine me sitting at my computer in the dark, futzing around with the game, when suddenly I hear this loud screeching and my screen went bright white, and I couldn't alt-tab away.

Apparently, the bug made it possible for multiple audio threads to be created, which caused the screeching audio. The screen turning white came from an audio visualizer effect that of course was not working properly due to the audio thread problem. The strange lagginess was because the audio thread has realtime priority, and two of them was slowing everything down.

There's a PS3 port of Shadow of Mordor, and it's terrible. Most of the problems come down to everything looking bad and running poorly because it was never intended to run on that hardware, but I saw it freak an LPer (and former dev) the heck out because one of the common shader glitches causes bizarre artifacting in the top-left corner of the screen that looks almost exactly like what happens when your GPU starts melting down mid-game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A good product manager.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

As mentioned earlier, not letting motivation play into it at all. Just sitting down at a set time and doing something, anything, even if you only intend to go for five minutes.

Keep and update a to-do list. I also find it helpful to have multiple aspects of the project I can tackle if one side isn't going so well.
Like today I'm stuck for level ideas, but I might work on adding effects, background props, and filling in some missing sounds.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I don't mind if I have an unproductive day or week sometimes. I also have highly productive times to make up for it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would definitely recommend the "make it into a routine" approach rather than the "force yourself to work" approach. Routines are a lot more sustainable than feeling guilty that you aren't working on something and therefore trying to force yourself to work on it. Forcing it is more liable to lead to burnout, in other words.

I'd also suggest keeping a list of todo items. You can keep it roughly prioritized, but the important thing is to have a list of achievable things that count as progress towards your long-term goal. Sometimes you're going to be able to tackle the "figure out why textures occasionally glitch out" bugs, other times all you're going to be up to doing is taking on the "add a button to the pause screen to go back to the main menu" kinds of things. Small wins still count as wins though, and are a big help in maintaining motivation.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

I've worked for myself for about two years and have a few approaches to this

1) Pick the easiest things from your to-do list and crank them out at once. The act of completing tasks, no matter how small, is a great motivator

2) Pick the hardest thing from your to-do list and grind through it. At some point you'll realize the hardest part is over and you'll feel really good

3) Do something else around the house that you don't really want to do - like chores, walking the dog, that kind of thing. At some point your mind will wander and you'll either get inspired to code something new or you'll just miss doing it, but either way your block is removed

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Stop working on simple, grind work poo poo two-thirds of the way through; it'll keep it hovering on your brain and when you come back to it you'll start the work session with a win.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Angryhead posted:

Motivation is for suckers, you need determination/grit/whatever you want to call it.

it's this, inspiration is overrated. all you can do is eat the elephant.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I definitely come to my desk ready to work, but I find the macho approach is actively harmful. Identify distractions and get rid of them. A lot of times I don't take forward steps because I'm scared to get it wrong, so sometimes I'll just... Start something dumb? Sorta like a sketch in another project folder...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

anothergod posted:

A lot of times I don't take forward steps because I'm scared to get it wrong

Oh geeze, this is me a little too often (more in my craft hobbies than in software development, but it definitely applies to stuff like level design that I have little experience at). The best approach I've figured for dealing with it is to just say "gently caress it, if I get it wrong what's the worst that happens?" Usually the worst is that I lose a day to a week of effort and end up having to reset my source control to an earlier point in time. Which sucks, but is absolutely not the end of the world. Plus that "wasted" time represents a gain in my personal level of experience, so that's a win even if I don't have anything material to show for it.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would definitely recommend the "make it into a routine" approach rather than the "force yourself to work" approach. Routines are a lot more sustainable than feeling guilty that you aren't working on something and therefore trying to force yourself to work on it. Forcing it is more liable to lead to burnout, in other words.

I'd also suggest keeping a list of todo items. You can keep it roughly prioritized, but the important thing is to have a list of achievable things that count as progress towards your long-term goal. Sometimes you're going to be able to tackle the "figure out why textures occasionally glitch out" bugs, other times all you're going to be up to doing is taking on the "add a button to the pause screen to go back to the main menu" kinds of things. Small wins still count as wins though, and are a big help in maintaining motivation.

I agree with all of this. I've tried to keep a routine that keeps me roughly on a normal work schedule despite being indie for a year now.

Pick one single thing, even a tiny menu bug, and do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Another hot motivation tip: don't read the Trump thread or you'll face existential dread and/or depression.