Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Incidentally, when I did my reread, I'm surprised at how many characters died for keeps in the comic. The Linear Guild kobolds, Shojo, Miko, Therkla, Kubota, Tsukiko, Crystal, Brainy Pete, black dragon mom, resistance mustache paladin, Malack, Nale, Bozzok, and Minrah, assuming she sticks with Valhalla when Durkon comes back. It never really bugged me as much as character death normally does in stories, since it's not gratuitous or gory. Most of the characters get proper death scenes too, it's seldom just offhand.

The structure of an adventuring party focused story makes it easier to do. Essentially, since you rarely return to places or stories once you've done your arc in them, there's no barriers to wrapping up arcs with death. And since being an adventurer means you're characters are all comfortable with killing in various situations anyways, you rarely get moral dilemmas or situations where death wouldn't be in character of either the heroes or villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Regalingualius posted:

And threatened to cut off the hand of his other son so he could make the arc into a Star Wars shout-out.

But that was all for narrative structure!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If fingers were family then you might say that thumbs are the parents. You might even say that the right thumb is the dad finger.

OOTS updates were delayed for months because of dad problem.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soup du Jour posted:

I’m pretty sure the worst thing Tarquin ever did as a father was murder his son

Yeah. Which is, as far as fatherly acts goes, pretty bad, though also Nale was a terrible person and just finished murdering someone else (and bragging about it), so, like, as far as people who needed killing went, he was up there. But Nale wasn't an active threat and was entirely at Tarquin's mercy, so it was still unnecessary, and also Tarquin's even worse, so even ignoring the father-son angle it wasn't great.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

As a father it is a pretty lovely thing to do, but I am glad someone was willing and able to put Nale down for good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And he wasn't wrong about Nale's presence in the story having run its course.

Edit: His final contribution will be as a man in a refrigerator to fuel Sabine's future angst and actions, which is a nice flip of the usual.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ahaha, nice catch

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SlothfulCobra posted:

Incidentally, when I did my reread, I'm surprised at how many characters died for keeps in the comic. The Linear Guild kobolds, Shojo, Miko, Therkla, Kubota, Tsukiko, Crystal, Brainy Pete, black dragon mom, resistance mustache paladin, Malack, Nale, Bozzok, and Minrah, assuming she sticks with Valhalla when Durkon comes back. It never really bugged me as much as character death normally does in stories, since it's not gratuitous or gory. Most of the characters get proper death scenes too, it's seldom just offhand.

A lot of death scenes are among the best strips Rich ever wrote.

Personal off the top of my head ranking:

5) Kubota
4) Durkon (the first one)
3) Miko
2) Nale
1) Tsukiko

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Android Blues posted:

Right, but it's possible to have problems without having a bad dad. Why is Bad Dad so much more common than, for instance, Bad Mom?

Typically, there's no Bad Mom because the mom is too busy being dead. There's a Bad Step-Mom instead. You can find good parents in fiction, but you'll never find good step-parents.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly, I don't think we're going to see Tarquin again until, like, an epilogue maybe, and he'll be taken out by Ian and co following Elan's plan but without Elan being involved otherwise, to break Tarquin's story expectations and whatnot.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Roland Jones posted:

Honestly, I don't think we're going to see Tarquin again until, like, an epilogue maybe, and he'll be taken out by Ian and co following Elan's plan but without Elan being involved otherwise, to break Tarquin's story expectations and whatnot.

Oh yeah, but I think Tarquin will die knowing his wish was granted - Elan engineered his downfall - but in a way that makes Tarquins conception of how it was supposed to go irrelevant. Which I think would be Tarquins worst nightmare. To be meaningless.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Android Blues posted:

Dad Bad, Character Traumatised is such a consistent theme of genre fiction that it's kind of fascinating. Like, what is causing this? Are dads, historically, unusually bad? Are the type of people who tend to write genre fiction also statistically more likely to have difficult relationships with their fathers?

Anecdotally, it seems like a flawed or entirely absent father figure was a very common background feature of a lot of people I knew growing up. It might be as simple as just being common if you were born in the '70s or '80s.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Typically, there's no Bad Mom because the mom is too busy being dead. There's a Bad Step-Mom instead. You can find good parents in fiction, but you'll never find good step-parents.

The Kents beg to differ :colbert:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also O-Chul, and Durkon's entire extended family.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess Finn's stepdad was kind of a jerk someone's but seemed fairly nice

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I guess Finn's stepdad was kind of a jerk someone's but seemed fairly nice

I'm way behind on Adventure Time, evidently.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tarquin really tried to give Nale a chance, but Nale just left him no other options. Nale didn't want a chance at an empire or a part in some grand scheme, he just wanted to hurt everyone around him and be free if the burden of his father's love, and Tarquin acquiesced.

Then he cleaned up his mess rather than leave his allies to chase Nale down. Kind of the only choice left to him if he was going to pin his hopes for a legacy on Elan.

Fuego Fish posted:

I doubt it. The episode about that is in season 3.

I thought it was only step-parentage if your parent remarries, not if you're just straight-up adopted.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cat Mattress posted:

You can find good parents in fiction, but you'll never find good step-parents.

Stranger Things season 2. Real Good Step-dad Samwise Gamgee.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Tarquin really tried to give Nale a chance, but Nale just left him no other options. Nale didn't want a chance at an empire or a part in some grand scheme, he just wanted to hurt everyone around him and be free if the burden of his father's love, and Tarquin acquiesced.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0913.html

It was then Nale realised: when Tarquin said "As you wish," what he really meant was "I love you."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Brainamp posted:

Stranger Things season 2. Real Good Step-dad Samwise Gamgee.

He was a boyfriend but still #justiceforbob

He was in the show longer than Barb, was a better character than Barb, and influenced the plot more than Barb but nobody cares about Bob :smith:

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

McCloud posted:

The Kents beg to differ :colbert:

Pretty sure there's a difference between Step-parent and Adopted parent; "step" is specifically the result of marrying someone with a kid. If either Ma or Pa Kent had died/split and the other remarried, I guarantee we'd be reading about Ultraman instead of Superman, and how Metropolis is now on fire.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, Tarquin gave Nale every chance to live the life Tarquin wanted for him.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Pretty sure there's a difference between Step-parent and Adopted parent; "step" is specifically the result of marrying someone with a kid. If either Ma or Pa Kent had died/split and the other remarried, I guarantee we'd be reading about Ultraman instead of Superman, and how Metropolis is now on fire.

Or we get Man of steel

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Oh, I'll play your game you rogue.
How about the original Wasp (Janet) compared to the new Wasp (Hope.)

But fiction has plenty of examples of a parent coming in and loving a child "as if they were there own."
In many ways they are plenty of examples of Step Parents or ones who are functionally step parents, even if marriage isn't involved.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fuego Fish posted:

No I mean from like the first season. I can't remember his name, the dog dad. He was always setting up things for his boys to compete against each other and complex dungeons to teach them lessons and stuff.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mikl posted:

It was then Nale realised: when Tarquin said "As you wish," what he really meant was "I love you."

In retrospect, the most hosed up part is "OK, yeah, I did keep hinting I'd stand by and let him murder you, what's the big deal?"

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
hosed up from our perspective, but maybe that kind of thing is pretty standard in Evil adventuring parties?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mikl posted:

... huh. Thanks for linking this, I just started progressing through the strips from this point as normal before I got to this one and realized something relevant to the most recent batch of strips (with Durkon, Minrah and Thor at the Graveyard of Worlds).

The Graveyard for Worlds had all those monuments for all those previous worlds that had been destroyed by the Snarl, or by the Gods themselves before the Snarl could break free on its own.

But that still doesn't explain the presence of the worlds we've seen inside the Rifts. Yes, we know that there are previous, multiple worlds that have been lost, but from the way Thor was talking about it, it was implied that when it happens, one way or the other, that everything is wiped out. So why is there at least one, possibly two or more worlds still inside the Rift with the Snarl?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Another thing I thought of: is it a coincidence that Tiamat is the only one of her pantheon that knows purple quiddity is real, and is the only evil deity shown interacting with the fiends?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

FreeKillB posted:

hosed up from our perspective, but maybe that kind of thing is pretty standard in Evil adventuring parties?

Moral relativism for literal evil is a new one to me

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I do, because I kind of feel like she was on the cusp of breaking through and actually starting to improve as a person. I mean, her last words are accepting compromise.

She was starting to come around, but Roy basically told her to piss off right as she was opening up to his words, which is part of the tragedy.

jng2058 posted:

I presume one has to be a goblinoid divine caster to wear the Crimson Mantle...but you know what? Oona's a ranger, and almost certainly high enough level to have divine spells. If the Mantle boosts your spellcasting abilities, it might be possible that she's the one who ends up channeling some purple into the godly mix.

What about Redcloak's niece?

The Question IRL posted:

I am using Knowledge: SA Forums to make you all want to go back to the last time this thread talked about mad builds.

It was Page 764 of the Forum, and even a brief reading of some of the entries is cracking me up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2300198&pagenumber=764&perpage=40#post455566092

Do you remember the thread where people were talking about an exemplar smoking a bowl of weed then using balance on the smoke to bring everyone around him to tears? That cracked me up, but I've never been able to find it again.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 23, 2018

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

wdarkk posted:

Another thing I thought of: is it a coincidence that Tiamat is the only one of her pantheon that knows purple quiddity is real, and is the only evil deity shown interacting with the fiends?

That'd be a wild twist, if they were actually trying to save the world with their meddling because they didn't want their plan to be interrupted by a reset.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Man, I forgot how brutal Tsukiko's death was. Like, holy crap.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, Tarquin gave Nale every chance to live the life Tarquin wanted for him.

Nale could've just run away and lived on another continent. It's not like Tarquin was actively chasing him down, other than putting up wanted posters. Nale chose to come back and get involved in this. Because Nale's life revolved around Tarquin more than Tarquin's ever revolved around Nale.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

Nale could've just run away and lived on another continent. It's not like Tarquin was actively chasing him down, other than putting up wanted posters. Nale chose to come back and get involved in this. Because Nale's life revolved around Tarquin more than Tarquin's ever revolved around Nale.

Nale was following Elan. As he was also interested in the gate stuff. He never intended to run into his father, but screwed up and got caught by him when he decided to ambush the Order at the Colosseum.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nale was following Elan. As he was also interested in the gate stuff. He never intended to run into his father, but screwed up and got caught by him when he decided to ambush the Order at the Colosseum.

Ehhhhhh he was waiting behind him invisibly when he got caught, and he was in his father's city - I think you're probably right in that that's what he might have told himself, but Nale didn't act like someone who was that undercover.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nale's problem is that he thought he was a PC.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think that the main theme of OoTS is actually a rather simple one.

"Why is somebody doing good or bad?" Pretty much every major arc and character is about why a person is doing the right thing, or doing the wrong thing. You have people who are "Good" out of a deluded sense of righteousness, people who do Evil for altruistic reasons. You have near paragons of good like O'chul and Durkon, petty psychopaths like Xykon and Belkar, and all sorts of people in between.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bad reason, they treat people as tools: good reason, they treat people as people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That'd be a wild twist, if they were actually trying to save the world with their meddling because they didn't want their plan to be interrupted by a reset.

That it would. I'm not entirely sure how it gels with them actively pursuing the destruction of Girard's Gate, but given that Odin delivered a vague prophecy specifically so Durkon would get tangled up in the Snarl plot and die honorably in time for Thor to spill all the beans, it's entirely possible that the Fiends are part of a similar scheme on Tiamat's part.