Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SSNeoman posted:

Nope.
1) Maze of tunnels all alike
2) Limited flashlight
3) Those loving hanging green things

I'll take water plant over it any day

I think it's because I have very good spatial reasoning abilities; I found the sewer childsplay. I really struggled to understand some of the intended actions in the water treatment plant, which don't make it clear whether you've done something right. Plus back then you were supposed to never let water go through in a polluted state, which made a bunch of valves and switches traps if pressed in the wrong order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

14/ You know what they say: can't do an inspection without breaking a few windows.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
You really must admire Mark's dedication to duty when he keeps noting structural problems after the structure has literally fallen on top of him. And he's now lost and alone in a green mushroom sewer. And the only other signs of habitation are left by a crazy person with a grudge and a lot of dynamite, apparently...

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe that button set off some dynamite like some kind of booby trap? Also, we fell through the floor but I don't remember seeing a hole in the ceiling, did we just not look at it?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

That grunting was a bit over the top. Sounding more like Mark needs to go to see the doctor about his constipation.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Eh the gate wasn't a bad puzzle. The issue is that you are sorta left with a "now what?" once you get to the other side of the walkway, but eh INFRA.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
"Oh wow I literally almost died just a moment ago!" ... *takes picture of cracked window glass* "Someone should get that fixed."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tombot posted:

Also, we fell through the floor but I don't remember seeing a hole in the ceiling, did we just not look at it?
The first photo of the level, a Markku-sized hole.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I had to pause the video to get a better look at it, but you're right.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Good job, Markku. Your dumb obsession with doing your job has dragged you off to the deepest depths of Finnish hell. You idiot.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
We're already trapped underground with nothing else to do, may as well keep doing our job. If we don't survive then hopefully some other engineer will recover our memory card.

Also, when all else fails bash it with a rock! Or brick. Any blunt object will do really.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Ratoslov posted:

Good job, Markku. Your dumb obsession with doing your job has dragged you off to the deepest depths of Finnish hell. You idiot.

He hasn't been stuck in Kouvola with zero liquor in sight so it's not the deepest hell yet.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Mark's dance video (#10) got blocked worldwide. I'll see whether YT can unfuck it or I have to upload a new version.

15/ Someone here was taking notes on a criminal conspiracy.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Jaffe looks to be a pretty obvious Jaffa parody

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Rewarding their good work with sugar free candy.
How utterly evil.
Not to mention it explains why the toilets are broken and everyone left.
Eating too much of it will give you the runs.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Mark, your PIN is '1337' (which itself :sigh: worthy) but you can't remember it 5 minutes later? :cripes:

I guess it's time for this game's version for On A Rail? If a Theoretical Physicist with no practical experience driving a train can do it how hard can it be for us?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Mark, your PIN is '1337' (which itself :sigh: worthy) but you can't remember it 5 minutes later? :cripes:

Mark has been having an extremely lovely day. Dude's been running around abandoned tunnels, breathing sewer gas, and weird killer fungus, and getting buried under rubble. At this point in his day, he should tell his boss to go gently caress off and go to a hospital. I can forgive him having some memory problems.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How much cash does Markku has in his account? :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

How much cash does Markku has in his account? :v:

Considering the state of the city he lives in?
Probably not that much. Then again he seems to have been brought in from abroad so he might have money over. I figure structural engineers(?) are well paid.

In game terms? v:v:v

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Ratoslov posted:

Mark has been having an extremely lovely day. Dude's been running around abandoned tunnels, breathing sewer gas, and weird killer fungus, and getting buried under rubble. At this point in his day, he should tell his boss to go gently caress off and go to a hospital. I can forgive him having some memory problems.

Mark is trying way, way too hard to please. i don't think "operate train while concussed and poisoned" was in his job description.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mark is the hero of the people. He is loving fighting against this poo poo out of principle now.

Let's face it, we've all had these days.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That ad was indeed based on literally the exact same real ad it seems: https://www.adweek.com/creativity/another-subway-ad-wants-you-jump-19274/

At this point I think if I was in Mark's shoes I'd have been pounding on the glass for someone to let me out at the first sign of civilization.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, If I was Mark I'd have smashed the first window at the union building, climbed out to the pavement - and taken a photo of the broken window to claim it was like that when I got here. Then walked home.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, you probably don't need to be so sparing with your torch, putting it down as soon as you've seen the layout of the room and going off memory like that. I have it on good authority that you have ten packs of batteries for the flashlight.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Those radios are a real product by the way. Tivoli Model ones. I recognized it in the first video since they are distinctive. Its interesting that everyone in this city has one.

And no i dont think they transmit as well as receive.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

ZeusCannon posted:

And no i dont think they transmit as well as receive.

Any FM radio needs to have a local oscillator for getting the audio signal separated from the carrier wave (heterodyning for demodulation). Superheterodyne-type receiver circuits might even use several intermediate frequencies. If the signal of those oscillators leaks out of the circuit, you can get local interference spikes on those frequencies.

In real life, speed-trap radar detector detectors look for just such a leakage from the radar detector's receiver circuit.

Within INFRA, I'd assume those radios are cheap clones of the actual Tivoli Model Ones, with circuitry designed by some Far East electronics factory owner's nephew, who knows only just enough about electronics and radios to be dangerous.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BTW OP that thing you were supposed to take a picture of was the health inspection poster in that restaurant. It's...uh...on the up and up!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Learning bout radios ITT.

(thats actually kinda cool since it technically means the idea in the video isnt as far a reach as thought)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

16/ Stalburg Metro is always a wild ride. Buy your own ticket today!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well that was a rather pointless side trip with a pretty dumb payoff.

Also I believe that place is an underground flood water storage place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Area_Outer_Underground_Discharge_Channel

Should also be mentioned its the artificial sweetner used when making sugar free candy that is not too kind on your bowels when eaten in large quantities.
Which turned out to be Lycasin.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-turned-sugar-free-candies-into-super-laxatives-1678526975

Also in the effort of looking up what the sweetner is called I found this:
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2ASS4WFT3WAG/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

Reading the customer reviews is a must:
https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-SUGAR-Classic-Gummi-Bears/dp/B006J1FBLM

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I'm 3 minutes in and I am 110 percent certain the kebab place being run by Aziz is a reference to the Kummeli sketch about middle-eastern propaganda and terrorism, especially with the Combat Fighter thingy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AAX_wFvPAg

For anyone watching these, keep in mind these are all pre-9/11.

Triple A fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 8, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

SelenicMartian posted:

16/ Stalburg Metro is always a wild ride. Buy your own ticket today!

Well that was pretty extreme - when the subways here run a red an arm trips the brakes and stops the train (most of the time, sometimes they just plow into something then stop). They don't blow the tracks out all Skyfall style and drop the train into the sewers.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Well that was a rather pointless side trip with a pretty dumb payoff.

Also I believe that place is an underground flood water storage place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Area_Outer_Underground_Discharge_Channel

I was going to link to this one because it's a much older and much cooler one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern (6th century)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

I was going to link to this one because it's a much older and much cooler one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern (6th century)

Yeah that one would work better almost, I just remembered the Japanese one better.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What were the signs above the doors in the cisterny place

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Okay, by the time he gets back to his office, the repair and remediation plan for this city is going to be 'burn it down to the bedrock, start over', right? So many tunnels have collapsed and are damaged beyond possible repair that I have no idea how anyone still has running water or functioning sewage at this point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Reminds me of that level from Metro Last Light where you just go from one end of the track to the other but minus the mutant scorpion-spiders.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Geomancing posted:

Okay, by the time he gets back to his office, the repair and remediation plan for this city is going to be 'burn it down to the bedrock, start over', right? So many tunnels have collapsed and are damaged beyond possible repair that I have no idea how anyone still has running water or functioning sewage at this point.

The game ends with the city in flames, and as all corrupt company skyscrapers collapse, it is revealed that Markku's supervisor only exists in his mind, his cellphone batteries long dead.

Then "Where is my mind" by the Pixies starts playing while Markku is watching the chaos, eating a kebab.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

The real question is: Why does all this poo poo only break when it's close enough to Mark to make an attempt on his life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

The real question is: Why does all this poo poo only break when it's close enough to Mark to make an attempt on his life?

The world itself is tired of hearing how many packs of batteries he has for his camera or flashlight and is trying to kill him.