Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Loads of cars have that configuration now, my panda does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A lot of French cars right up to the 80s had a weird manual gearshift setup where you would have to push and pull the lever in the dashboard to change gears

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The old Alfa Spyder had a dash-ish shifter, along with the Carrera GT.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/23/dont-touch-that-dial.html

GM tracking your radio use in order to sell data to companies to market poo poo at you.

quote:

On September 12th, GM's director of global digital transformation Saejin Park gave a presentation to the Association of National Advertisers in which he described how the company had secretly gathered data on the radio-listening habits of 90,000 GM owners in LA and Chicago for three months in 2017, tracking what stations they listened to and for how long, and where they were at the time; this data was covertly exfiltrated from the cars by means of their built-in wifi.

Dumb cars ftw.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Alfa Spider has one:

As well as a Soviet-era Eastern European car called a Borewicz:

The car in question:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
that thing is incredible

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Grakkus posted:

The car in question:

:dong:

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 24, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grakkus posted:

The car in question:

That interior is siiiiiick

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

GM tracking your radio use in order to sell data to companies to market poo poo at you.

Dumb cars ftw.

Wait until you see the T&Cs for the car sharing programs

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Grakkus posted:

The car in question:

I feel like if CommieGIR landed in Soviet Russia instead of Georgia he'd have a driveway full of those instead of weird Audis.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dumb cars ftw.

Pretend I posted that scene from The Sopranos where they buy a new car and the very first thing they do is rip out half the electrics.

(For that in car assistance thing whose name I can't remember)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Carerra gt also

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dumb cars ftw.

Meanwhile half the apps on your phone do exactly this all the time (but you've ostensibly agreed to them doing this by using them). Don't get me wrong, there should always be informed consent for this and the choice to opt out. But to me it's less a matter of invasion of privacy and more a breach of trust. I don't care if they're recording and selling anonymous user data, everything does that, but you should be aware of it and be given the option to turn it off. I doubt they'd be getting statistically weaker data by having owners check a tick box on a EULA on the radio screen informing them that usage data will be shared with third parties, and a toggle buried on a setup page to switch off third party sharing.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

A lot of French cars right up to the 80s had a weird manual gearshift setup where you would have to push and pull the lever in the dashboard to change gears

That big knob behind the shifter is to open some flaps behind the hood to let in fresh air!
That long stalk next to the speedometer is for the high beams, its designed that way to be easily reached with your hands on the wheel!
Also remarkable: The loose wires under the steering wheel. Its supposed to be like that, theres no cover or anything over the wires that go to the ignition.

Man i miss my 2CV. I once broke of the blinker stalk while merging onto the Autobahn and had to drive it while always blinking left. Nothing like always signaling to overtake while bumbling about at 80 km/h while everyone is doing 150...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BraveUlysses posted:

lol today's edition of "it came from the vwvortex"

10 years ago you could have said "it came from superhonda". Bad taste never dies, it just moves to different platforms.

Bajaha posted:

Has any other car done a dash mount shifter like the civic hatch from the early 2000's? Having driven one it's neat to have the shifter right by the wheel, you get used to it really quick.

Maybe.

Dr.Smasher posted:

gently caress. You could get an Element with a stick? I didn't know that.

wait what

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh man there are a lot more out there than I thought, figures most of them are from not-NA markets which at least gives me some excuse why I haven't heard of them before.

I remember seeing videos of that Honda van a few years back and recognized it the moment the wheels came into view, didn't watch with audio but I remember it being a 1000hp+ and awd :allears:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bajaha posted:

Has any other car done a dash mount shifter like the civic hatch from the early 2000's? Having driven one it's neat to have the shifter right by the wheel, you get used to it really quick.

E:

IIRC, there's a lot of industrial vehicles/turned-RV-vehicles that do the same. I remember sitting in either a Mercedes or FIAT RV (can't remember) that also had the shifter on the dash, and I am almost certain there is some Ford Van (at least in Europe) that also has the shifter on the dash.

As long as it's in the right place and works well, I think it's quite a good solution to free up some room in the middle.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

The Door Frame posted:

I think old Citroen cars used to have something very similar

Even some quite recent ones, the Dispatch/Expert/Scudo and all the things that shared that platform had them for sure.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bajaha posted:

Oh man there are a lot more out there than I thought, figures most of them are from not-NA markets which at least gives me some excuse why I haven't heard of them before.

I remember seeing videos of that Honda van a few years back and recognized it the moment the wheels came into view, didn't watch with audio but I remember it being a 1000hp+ and awd :allears:

It was a FWD van originally, no idea if he eventually converted it to AWD though. I can't picture a Honda drivetrain that could handle that, and he stuck to pretty much stock Honda/Acura parts (aside from the snails and engine management, sometimes beefing up stock parts, but largely stock with snails and funny gas).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I think I'm mistaken, don't know why I thought AWD, 1000hp through only the front wheels though :stare: no wonder it's a burnout machine.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivRj0wa_opc
J37, FWD- made by Bisimoto

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

bennyfactor posted:

That's where the shifter is on the Fiat Multipla, obstensibly to accomodate the 3-wide front seating, but much more likely just as a continuation of the batshit styling from the exterior to the interior

I had never seen the interior of a Multipla. It's incredible in its own manic way. Like an interior come from the upside down universe.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

That van is nuts and is on bags. It owns.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Dr.Smasher posted:

gently caress. You could get an Element with a stick? I didn't know that.

Stick or AWD, you couldn't get both.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yet you could get a manual CRV with 4wd and a b20

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Matrix/Vibe have it too:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

opengl128 posted:

Matrix/Vibe have it too:

You know, and no fault to you...seeing the Pontiac emblem somehow pisses me off because of GM killing it.

gently caress you GM.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Pretty sure the Prius has a similar shifter mount high up like that too, at least the ones my last job had for fleet cars did.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Pretty sure the Prius has a similar shifter mount high up like that too, at least the ones my last job had for fleet cars did.

My 2012 does.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

That doesn't count. No one cares where the "shifter" in an automatic or CVT car is located.

Edit: especially in a Prius.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Darchangel posted:

That doesn't count. No one cares where the "shifter" in an automatic or CVT car is located.

Edit: especially in a Prius.

Well the Prius has that B mode you use on the shifter for engine braking so it’s somewhat useful to have it within reach of the wheel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Well the Prius has that B mode you use on the shifter for engine braking so it’s somewhat useful to have it within reach of the wheel.

Someone needs to bring back the steering column shifter.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I feel like if CommieGIR landed in Soviet Russia instead of Georgia he'd have a driveway full of those instead of weird Audis.

I'd own one now, but I'd rather get a Fiat Panda 4x4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Unrelated to shifter chat, on the way into work this morning, I spotted a Chevy Savannah van with no rear windows in the doors, then noted that it also had no rear side windows. I thought that was unusual, since it sort of negated a portion of its usefulness as a van. Then I got closer and further noted that it had a wall built behind the front seats... and a window-mount home AC unit in the middle of said wall. First time I'd seen that particular arrangement.
Unfortunately, I was negotiating an exit in traffic and couldn't get a picture. It was hilarious. The rear seat belts were still there flapping in the breeze.

Do auto AC repair shops charge that much that it's practical to buy an AC unit and an inverter big enough to run it versus paying to have the vehicle's AC fixed? I don't really know. I do my own work, and auto AC isn't that complicated unless you get into automatic AC with zones and stuff. Certainly not in a GM work van.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Is that what that's for?? I've been driving one for years and never knew. I'll have to try it out! The regen alone is better than coasting in an automatic - I never considered there may be more available.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Is that what that's for?? I've been driving one for years and never knew. I'll have to try it out! The regen alone is better than coasting in an automatic - I never considered there may be more available.

I was told that the engine braking wasn't regenerative, is that true?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dave Inc. posted:

I had never seen the interior of a Multipla. It's incredible in its own manic way. Like an interior come from the upside down universe.

Note the swoopy lines on the steering wheel and how they interact with each other and then realise this has been used in car body design for the past 5 years or more now. Multipla predicting design trends way ahead of the game. :v:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Darchangel posted:

Unrelated to shifter chat, on the way into work this morning, I spotted a Chevy Savannah van with no rear windows in the doors, then noted that it also had no rear side windows. I thought that was unusual, since it sort of negated a portion of its usefulness as a van. Then I got closer and further noted that it had a wall built behind the front seats... and a window-mount home AC unit in the middle of said wall. First time I'd seen that particular arrangement.
Unfortunately, I was negotiating an exit in traffic and couldn't get a picture. It was hilarious. The rear seat belts were still there flapping in the breeze.

Do auto AC repair shops charge that much that it's practical to buy an AC unit and an inverter big enough to run it versus paying to have the vehicle's AC fixed? I don't really know. I do my own work, and auto AC isn't that complicated unless you get into automatic AC with zones and stuff. Certainly not in a GM work van.

Probably they had one sitting around from a previous, likely also half-assed, home reno. And the van maybe never had AC in the first place.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

Probably they had one sitting around from a previous, likely also half-assed, home reno. And the van maybe never had AC in the first place.

This is a possibility, but a very thin one. I’m in Texas. A new vehicle in the last 20-30 years without AC would sell about as well as a dirty jock strap to a nun.
I suppose it could have migrated from Canada or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Note the swoopy lines on the steering wheel and how they interact with each other and then realise this has been used in car body design for the past 5 years or more now. Multipla predicting design trends way ahead of the game. :v:

It's strange, but the Multipla is similar to the (original, no idea of there is a current one) Audi A2. The people who own/have owned one swear on them.

I never drove one of them, but travelled in both and they are......actually good, from passenger standpoint, and owners seem to like them.