Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was it this show that had a reference to the shrine of the silver monkey from legends of the hidden temple on it recently? I know something I've seen in the last month or so referenced it but I can't for the life of me remember what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't remember it, but this would be the show to do one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it this show that had a reference to the shrine of the silver monkey from legends of the hidden temple on it recently? I know something I've seen in the last month or so referenced it but I can't for the life of me remember what.

Archer made a point how in its latest season how it was nothing like the show "Tales of the Gold Monkey".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Davros1 posted:

Archer made a point how in its latest season how it was nothing like the show "Tales of the Gold Monkey".

I think that was actually a reference to a much older show actually and I'd never seen it either so it was kinda over my head

Cojawfee posted:

I don't remember it, but this would be the show to do one.

Oh yeah, absolutely. If I remember it right, it literally had them trying to stick the monkey parts together. I watch a lot of poo poo though and rewatch older stuff too so it could be all sorts of stuff. I've been combing the scripts of some reason shows including family guy and haven't found it but sometimes epiphanies happen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think that was actually a reference to a much older show actually and I'd never seen it either so it was kinda over my head

They specifically state that the totem they are after is in no way a Gold Monkey.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Right, there was an Indiana Jones rip-off tv show in the early 80s that the season of Archer was heavily riffing on, the treasure at the end was a golden monkey statue.

Unless that’s what you meant since the show was called Tales of the Golden Monkey.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 22, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The thing in Archer: Danger Island series was very clearly a riff on Tales of the Gold Monkey, a 1980s show that I remember watching as a kid. And while it was kinda-sorta a riff on Indiana Jones and the Only Movie Starring Indiana Jones That Had Up To That Point Been Released, it was more of a play on a brief romance filmmakers in the late 70s/early 80s had with early-to-mid 20th century aviation. Two big standouts that I remember are a Tom Selleck move called The High Road to China, and Tales of the Gold Monkey. There are other, less memorable examples floating around in my head, but those are two worth checking out if you're into that sort of thing.

This was just a moment in film history, like how a few body-swapping movies came out in the late 80s (Vice Versa, Like Father Like Son, 18 Again, Dream a Little Dream), or how a few under-the-sea horror/thriller movies came out in the... what, was it the late 80s/early 90s? (I'm thinking of Deep Star Six, Leviathan, and The Abyss.) The Gold Monkey series was a part of the early aviation craze. Around that time, there was also this thing about animal sidekicks.

Anyway... the Archer thing was definitely a take on Tales of the Gold Monkey, with Pam's breaking of the fourth wall to explain that the season's MacGuffin was definitely not a golden monkey being a little wink toward the audience.

As for the original question,

Milo and POTUS posted:

... not that I'm aware of, unless you're making a pretty abstract connection to something from Comatown. I mean, yeah, the Comatown stuff is very easily explained as either Barbarella or Empire Strikes Back references, but that doesn't mean that it's not similar to other things on a more abstract level.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Milo and POTUS posted:

I remember seeing one too and I can't place it. You're not alone, friend.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Ok wait, in the finale, how did (most of) the council use the teleporter to get up to meter majeur, while at the same time, one of the "ends" was planted in the ventech building to enable the invasion? Did they sneak in, put it on that storage room shelf, then teleport up? Or did someone place it later, after the council was already up there -- and if so, why was it necessary to teleport into the ventech building at all, when they were apparently able to infiltrate it anyway? Was this explained and I'm too dumb to remember?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

feetnotes posted:

Ok wait, in the finale, how did (most of) the council use the teleporter to get up to meter majeur, while at the same time, one of the "ends" was planted in the ventech building to enable the invasion? Did they sneak in, put it on that storage room shelf, then teleport up? Or did someone place it later, after the council was already up there -- and if so, why was it necessary to teleport into the ventech building at all, when they were apparently able to infiltrate it anyway? Was this explained and I'm too dumb to remember?

The teleporter was inside a shipping crate, so obviously they had mailed one to Ventech

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

feetnotes posted:

One was stolen, the other left behind. Guild replicates another one/multiples to connect to the Meteor Majeure. (sp?) Rusty probably just throws the one he has in the storage room as he can't even sell the dang thing thanks to the OSI.

The replications don't work as well, it seems, leading to Phage's incident. Or maybe they straightened out the kinks after Phage's incident.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think the Guild has more than one, since using it for the operation meant that Dragoon and Red Mantle had to take the shuttle.

They needed the teleporters so they could keep a link open and keep drip-feeding Brock henchmen to keep him occupied all night.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

LashLightning posted:

One was stolen, the other left behind. Guild replicates another one/multiples to connect to the Meteor Majeure. (sp?) Rusty probably just throws the one he has in the storage room as he can't even sell the dang thing thanks to the OSI.

The replications don't work as well, it seems, leading to Phage's incident. Or maybe they straightened out the kinks after Phage's incident.

Nope, they definitely got both teleporters in that heist. But we're probably meant to assume they can make more once they have the prototype, if it ever ends up mattering again (which it won't). Red Dragoon and Mantle chose to take the shuttle because they didn't trust the teleporters.

But I have every faith that Rusty's original prototype teleporters would have the flaw that sent Phage to Coma Land.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LashLightning posted:

Both were stolen. At the end of "The Unicorn in Captivity," the pad that was in the getaway truck (the one on which Monarch appeared shortly before the truck crashed) landed on the ground next to Gary and Monarch after the crash. Then, the other one that was inside the dislodged panic room fell out and landed almost on top of it. When Brock and the OSI get to the scene, Monarch, Gary, and both pads are missing.

drrockso20 posted:

The teleporter was inside a shipping crate, so obviously they had mailed one to Ventech

This is what I believe happened. You can see what appears to be shipping crate debris around the pad when you first see people teleporting in.

Either that, or there was a third pad. But, I believe they just shipped one of the pads over.

Edit:

Phenotype posted:

Red Dragoon and Mantle chose to take the shuttle because they didn't trust the teleporters.

I thought of this as I was posting this original message. I think that it was a writing mistake. Of course, maybe their intention was to send it over after all of them had teleported to Meteor Majeure, and Mantle/Dragoon decided to fly up instead; like, they were all up there for a few days or something. Or, that could be a handy retcon. Of course, them being able to replicate it would be possible (it is a work of fiction, after all), but Dr. Mrs. the Monarch goes out of her way to say "that's why we stole them." If they'd replicated them, I'd think that she might mention that, and everyone would get a teleporter.

But honestly, though it pains me to say it... I think Doc just goofed.

Edit Edit: Nevermind. The next post nails it. I forgot a line of dialog that explains it.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 23, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, they shipped it in. It's plain as day.

Shelia says "would you please use the teleporter" to which Red Mantle replies "it's being used for tonight's blackout operation." That's pretty drat cut and dry.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, they shipped it in. It's plain as day.

Shelia says "would you please use the teleporter" to which Red Mantle replies "it's being used for tonight's blackout operation." That's pretty drat cut and dry.

poo poo, I forgot about that. You're right. Doc's off the hook.

... this time....

... no, he's off the hook. My mistake.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Still, Sheila's line makes it sound like she and most of the others teleported up, which I guess means that they've been staying on the space station since before the earthside end was mailed to Venture.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Or they just dropped it off on the loading dock an hour earlier and Hatred stuffed it in storage on the way to see Hank in the hospital.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Oh my god it doesn't matter.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

Oh my god it doesn't matter.

How did the Venture's get to New York in the first place? Did they take the X-1? Did they fly commercial? Ride a limo all the way there? It wasn't explicitly shown which means I should type hundreds of paragraphs speculating about it.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Imagine if Billy had gone through first instead of the Captain.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

TK-42-1 posted:

I remember seeing one too and I can't place it. You're not alone, friend.

Folie a deux?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Dimebags Brain posted:

How did the Venture's get to New York in the first place? Did they take the X-1? Did they fly commercial? Ride a limo all the way there? It wasn't explicitly shown which means I should type hundreds of paragraphs speculating about it.

It’s going to be a long few years, friend.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hank has good taste in candy bars but why would you only eat half a candy bar.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Probably Rusty shouting, "Hank, that's your third Whatchamacallit! Put the rest in the fridge!"

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I'm assuming the henchmen Brock slaughtered were a necessary part of the Level 10 ceremony, right?

I'm just thinking such a ceremony by the Guild would involve a sacrifice.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pershing posted:

I'm assuming the henchmen Brock slaughtered were a necessary part of the Level 10 ceremony, right?

I'm just thinking such a ceremony by the Guild would involve a sacrifice.

They were a distraction to keep Brock busy or else he would have showed up half way through the ceremony and turned the guild headquarters into a charnel house.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Quote is not edit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Remember Watch and Ward come in and are like “ok we gotta get doc back now or samson is going to go all sickhouse on us” or somesuch

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mr. Nice! posted:

Remember Watch and Ward come in and are like “ok we gotta get doc back now or samson is going to go all sickhouse on us” or somesuch

I swear that isn't even the first time that has figured into their planning. Like "muster enough henchpersons to soak 1 Brock Samson for X turns" is just high-level Guild SOP at this point.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I like the gumption of the one blackout team leader who tried to get out of the mission by saying, with confidence, that he had "left a little team behind" when asked why he'd returned.

He looked so dejected and resigned to his fate when he was told to get back in line.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Just a thought : I hear lots of people say that while Dean takes a lot after Rusty, Hank takes a lot after Brock... and I think that last one is wrong. Hank doesn't take after Brock, that lunatic who cares even less about the antics of the Ventures' life than Rusty does, Hank takes after Hatred! Is it really a coincidence that, in the same episode, both Hank and Hatred try to seduce someone to get their way? Hank is the master of imagination and weirdness, but Hatred can get creative and weird (remember the whole decoy thing in season 4?) when he wants to.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That theory is a little disturbing considering what Hatred did to the boys when he kidnapped them.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
As for whether it's a coincidence that Hank and Hatred both tried to seduce someone who was in their way or not... yeah, I'm going with coincidence. Hank often plies women with his seductive talk and smooth moves. He's tried this on numerous girls and women in the past; it's kind-of his shtick when it comes to interactions with the ladies. Besides, he only tried it in Comatown because he realized he was Lando Dee Williarissian, whose only way out of the trap would be seducing the monster and then selling Action Man to the Empire. Had he been Luke, he'd have used the Force; if he'd been Han Solo, he would have either shot the beast first or dreamed up a dimly-lit and underwhelming backstory full of ridiculous contrivances in order to put the beast to sleep or to make it so mad that it left him alone in the cave so it could go to the library and complain about it on the Empire Internet.

Conversely, this was the first time I've seen Hatred actively try to seduce anyone who wasn't Princess Tinyfeet.

I think that early in the series, Dean was depicted as more studious and intelligent than Hank, and Hank openly idolized Brock and emulated him however he could. So, in the early going, you have Rusty Venture, former Boy Adventurer and current Super Scientist, split into two children: Hank was going the way of the adventurer, and Dean was going toward academia. Brock was just Hank's model for adventurers, seeing as how his dad had given up that lifestyle by the time Hank and Dean were born. I think that by and large, this remains the same: Dean is now in college, although he is shying away from a career in science; and Hank is still the adventurer of the two, just with less idolization (and mimicry) of Brock.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Right, there was an Indiana Jones rip-off tv show in the early 80s that the season of Archer was heavily riffing on, the treasure at the end was a golden monkey statue.

Unless that’s what you meant since the show was called Tales of the Golden Monkey.

Bring 'em Back Alive?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Baba Oje from Arrested Development has passed away

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hughesta posted:

Now he can finally guide 24.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

hughesta posted:

This needs to be somehow added to a gif of Twenty-One crying in Orpheus's arms.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of the Venture Bros upon hearing this news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Anyone who's going through Venture Bros withdrawal, go check out the new DuckTales. It's basically PG Venture.

Huey is Dean
Dewey is Hank
Louie is kinda like Pete White
Donald is Brock/Hatred
Mrs. Beakley is Brock
Launch pad is harder to say. David Puddy as a cartoon?
Gyro is Rusty
Scrooge is Jonas's image, a more ideal, caring Jonas

And on and on. There are some episodes that feel like straight up Venture episodes, like the Egyptian one.