Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Star wars is bad, star trek on the other hand..

Only if you ignore Voyager and according to Star Trek nerds you can't do that so...

Vox Nihili posted:

Fury Road came out while I was in law school. Sat in the front row with a few friends, open bottle of wine in hand. There are probably better experiences in life but I doubt they're for me.

Fury Road was great. So was Dredd (obviously I think that).

None of them come close to the greatest movie ever made though Das Boot Director's cut although that isn't the greatest movie just the best submarine movie really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mastershakeman posted:

Please tell me you mean only the new 4 star wars movies and aren't including the 70s-80s ones

Nah. The original trilogy is a mess as well. They had no idea whether any of it would work and didn’t design the original movie with a sequel in mind at all.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Only if you ignore Voyager and according to Star Trek nerds you can't do that so...

Fury Road was great. So was Dredd (obviously I think that).

None of them come close to the greatest movie ever made though Das Boot Director's cut although that isn't the greatest movie just the best submarine movie really.

Hunt for Red October is a better sub movie, sorry.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Down Periscope is the best submarine movie and it isn't even close. If you ever talk to a bubblehead, they tend to agree.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ah yes, with the authentic russian-scottish accent. My bad. Shertainly a good movie, though.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Down Periscope is the best submarine movie and it isn't even close. If you ever talk to a bubblehead, they tend to agree.

I'll concede it's probably more realistic.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Agree. Baldwin is also the best Jack Ryan.

Stuff your realism, nerds. I just want singing the Soviet anthem over sonar. Russians don’t take a dump without a plan.

Also the best movie of all time is Raiders of the Lost Ark. I await your “well, actually”s.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Also the best movie of all time is Raiders of the Lost Ark. I await your “well, actually”s.

WELL ACTUALLY THE LAST CRUSADE

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah. The original trilogy is a mess as well. They had no idea whether any of it would work and didn’t design the original movie with a sequel in mind at all.

Your definition of world building has to be so hosed up to get you to this result that I don't even think there can be a discussion. A perfect example of what I hate about marvel is just ho hum, aliens attacked, 74 dead back to normal life. Compare that to DC where a giant placard reading Mankind is Introduced to the Superman and people losing their minds about aliens , which is absolutely the right way to go
And if you think there's any planning in marvel beyond the characters reset every week without learning a thing, good grief

Now compare this all to star wars which popularized this insane menagerie of crazy poo poo and creature designs out the wazoo, and more importantly than anything else, 6 of the greatest foley effects ever: r2s Droid language, tie fighter engines, blaster sounds, Vader's breathing, and lightsaber sounds
That's the true legacy of star wars, the incredible sounds

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Your definition of world building has to be so hosed up to get you to this result that I don't even think there can be a discussion. A perfect example of what I hate about marvel is just ho hum, aliens attacked, 74 dead back to normal life. Compare that to DC where a giant placard reading Mankind is Introduced to the Superman and people losing their minds about aliens , which is absolutely the right way to go
And if you think there's any planning in marvel beyond the characters reset every week without learning a thing, good grief

Now compare this all to star wars which popularized this insane menagerie of crazy poo poo and creature designs out the wazoo, and more importantly than anything else, 6 of the greatest foley effects ever: r2s Droid language, tie fighter engines, blaster sounds, Vader's breathing, and lightsaber sounds
That's the true legacy of star wars, the incredible sounds

Its like comparing Babe Ruth to Barry Bonds - Sure, Ruth wasn't staring down 100mph heaters with life and cut, but his accomplishments can only be judged in the context of his time.

In 1977, Sci-Fi is still gritty, psychological dystopian poo poo. Star Wars was like, "Hey, Sci-Fi can be action and fun!" So it wasn't a perfect entry, but the first of its kind never is.

Great, now I've talked myself into George Lucas inventing a sub-genre.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The EU isn't canon and there's a larger marvel world out there than star wars if we're drifting to written material beyond the movies.

My statement was that the MCU was better than Star Wars in overall quality and worldbuilding. The MCU is an actual universe with many diverse things happening around. You get looks into many different lives and stories through dozens of pictures that crescendo into fantastic collaboratives.

Star Wars I'll admit was technically worlds beyond any of it's contemporaries and was innovative and beautiful. That doesn't mean that the stories, characters, or plots are well developed, make sense, or are of any objective quality. The star wars movies follow one loving family and the people loosely associated with them. They've finally started touching on the expanded universe in film, but even still they're miles behind the MCU.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
We all need a Kyle Katarn movie

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

The EU isn't canon and there's a larger marvel world out there than star wars if we're drifting to written material beyond the movies.

My statement was that the MCU was better than Star Wars in overall quality and worldbuilding. The MCU is an actual universe with many diverse things happening around. You get looks into many different lives and stories through dozens of pictures that crescendo into fantastic collaboratives.

Star Wars I'll admit was technically worlds beyond any of it's contemporaries and was innovative and beautiful. That doesn't mean that the stories, characters, or plots are well developed, make sense, or are of any objective quality. The star wars movies follow one loving family and the people loosely associated with them. They've finally started touching on the expanded universe in film, but even still they're miles behind the MCU.

There’s 8 Star Wars movies. Three of which are focused almost entirely on one character. Six of which were subject the George Lucas.

The MCU has like 20 loving movies (only about 6? that are above average). Most with varied writing and creative teams.

So yeah, of course the MCU has a more fleshed out universe. The MCUs universe is already pretty disjointed.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
You forget Rogue 1 and Solo. There are 10.

But yea, I'm really sad they've gotten rid of the EU. A lot of it was bad, but there was plenty that was really good, especially the Zahn Trilogy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Meatbag Esq. posted:

You forget Rogue 1 and Solo. There are 10.

But yea, I'm really sad they've gotten rid of the EU. A lot of it was bad, but there was plenty that was really good, especially the Zahn Trilogy.

I was like, "Doesn't he mean the 'Thrawn Trilogy'? Did he mis-remember it phonetically or something?" but then I was like, "Oh."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

TIE Fighter, KOTOR, and Rogue Squadron II are the best Star Wars vidya games, in that order.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jedi Knight II is fourth

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

TIE Fighter, KOTOR, and Rogue Squadron II are the best Star Wars vidya games, in that order.

jedi knight 1 owned

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The star wars game I played the most was that N64 one that took place between Empire and Jedi.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I attended a law of Star Wars panel at Comic Con, come at me.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The star wars game I played the most was that N64 one that took place between Empire and Jedi.

Shadows of the Empire was pretty good but Phil's list is correct for rankings.

Apparently Rebels pulled in a lot of Zahn stuff and it turned out pretty good, EU is coming in more in the spin off shows, etc.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eminent Domain posted:

I attended a law of Star Wars panel at Comic Con, come at me.

Shadows of the Empire was pretty good but Phil's list is correct for rankings.

Apparently Rebels pulled in a lot of Zahn stuff and it turned out pretty good, EU is coming in more in the spin off shows, etc.

How do you have laws in a universe that doesn't have books

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

As much as I think the "there's no written language in Star Wars" theory enhances the story and worldbuilding, wasn't there a Jedi library shown to store things in a written language?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Luke is guarding books in ep. 8. Rey takes them with her when she leaves. There is absolutely written language in the star wars universe.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about of course they had books you nitwit they had just mostly moved them over to loving holocrons and poo poo, you moron

efb

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
You guys are nerds. Let's get back to talking about things that matter, like the upcoming WoT TV show on Amazon. Who do you think should play Matt? I think it should be that scrawny kid Jojen Reed kid.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Wtf is WoT?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

World of Tanks?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

KotOR 2, KotOR, Jedi Knight 2

Some are also fun despite not necessarily being good: Jedi Academy, Force Unleashed, the first two OG Battlefront games, Jedi Knight games that don't have number 2

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Luke is guarding books in ep. 8. Rey takes them with her when she leaves. There is absolutely written language in the star wars universe.

I'm fairly sure that's the only example of books in any of the movies . It's really cool actually to not have them

There's a tiny amount of text Luke reads from r2, and I think the Jedi library is all holocrons which are just holograms of people talking? I like it

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 24, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BigHead posted:

You guys are nerds. Let's get back to talking about things that matter, like the upcoming WoT TV show on Amazon. Who do you think should play Matt? I think it should be that scrawny kid Jojen Reed kid.

That announcement is insane. Aren't they doing a tolkien production too?

What we really need are Malazan adaptations and see if people react to the chain of dogs like the red wedding, let alone the stuff later on that's way rougher

Meanwhile my favorite fantasy author (Sanderson) is plodding along on his magnum opus that he won't finish for another decade

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wheel of time, a collection of some short stories written by robert jordan

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Meanwhile my favorite fantasy author (Sanderson) is plodding along on his magnum opus that he won't finish for another decade

sanderson is by far the best fantasy author to get into because he's the sort of nutjob who relaxes from writing book x by instead spending some time writing book y. i don't think he does anything but write.

jordan was bad because he kept writing and stretching out the end until he died but at least he kept writing. grrm is gonna die before he ever finishes another book cause he clearly has just gotten burned out on the entire idea of writing books.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah Sanderson is great. I loved how he took over wheel of Time and did such creative stuff with the magic system . I really, really like the (primary?) human antagonist of his new series and where that's gonna go

Grrm is super mad everyone figured out his blatant foreshadowing immediately

With how horrifically bad game of thrones has gotten (yet with a giant budget it has wonderful visuals) I'm super pumped for all the terrible spoilers I read about season 8 to come true

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 24, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

sanderson is by far the best fantasy author to get into because he's the sort of nutjob who relaxes from writing book x by instead spending some time writing book y. i don't think he does anything but write.

jordan was bad because he kept writing and stretching out the end until he died but at least he kept writing. grrm is gonna die before he ever finishes another book cause he clearly has just gotten burned out on the entire idea of writing books.

I listen to the Writing Excuses podcast and it’s funny how ridiculous Sanderson is. Like every time people talk about spending X number of pages doing something (world building, character development, whatever) Sanderson is like “I’m somewhat of an anomaly, I usually do 5X pages” or “Well I start with a prologue and then move to the preface, then I start on book two of my five-book series”

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah I think book 1 of his latest series is actually the first book he ever wrote and totally reworked it years later

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

mastershakeman posted:

What we really need are Malazan adaptations and see if people react to the chain of dogs like the red wedding, let alone the stuff later on that's way rougher

I love Malazan but I gotta feel like its unadaptable. The most TV friendly way would probably just be just starting at Book 5/6 and follow the Bonehunters and Letheras/Edur to Book 7, but even that would be five seasons and a thousand characters while still leaving out like 85% of the saga.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

KotOR 2, KotOR, Jedi Knight 2

Some are also fun despite not necessarily being good: Jedi Academy, Force Unleashed, the first two OG Battlefront games, Jedi Knight games that don't have number 2

KOTOR 2 is really bad to play. Even with the restoration mod.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I listen to the Writing Excuses podcast and it’s funny how ridiculous Sanderson is. Like every time people talk about spending X number of pages doing something (world building, character development, whatever) Sanderson is like “I’m somewhat of an anomaly, I usually do 5X pages” or “Well I start with a prologue and then move to the preface, then I start on book two of my five-book series”

Audible had a 2 for 1 sale which netted me the Anniversary Edition of "Elantris" which I enjoyed, and during the foreward his author friend described doing classes and workshops with him for years and years, and how one teacher asked him, "Ok, so you have this magic princess who's traveling to this forbidden kingdom but what is happening? What is this story about?" and Sanderson was like, "Its about this magic princess who's traveling to this forbidden kingdom why can't that just be what its about??"

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

KOTOR 2 is really bad to play. Even with the restoration mod.

Over my 300+ hours since its release I have already memorized the route that enables me to avoid game-breaking bugs and min-max influence shifts and quest completion

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
You guys on Guam still alive? Apparently, a typhoon went from Cat 1 kinda chonker to OH LAWD HE COMIN! 185 mph sustained doom typhoon in 24 hours. Direct hit on Tinian and Saipan.

https://twitter.com/nasahurricane/status/1055169658310012929

Lote fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stay safe Island Law Goons!!!