Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I wouldn't have a clue, sorry. If it's not too long a list your best bet is to just disable everything and re enable mods a few at a time until you figure out what's causing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

I wouldn't have a clue, sorry. If it's not too long a list your best bet is to just disable everything and re enable mods a few at a time until you figure out what's causing it.

I'll definitely do that when this first game is farther along. Appreciate ya. Any advice on whats the most efficient way to bribe all 4 non pirate factions and keep them allied?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think coolguy's solution is gift caravans. I just patch them up and send them back to their buddies buck naked.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
allied is a separate problem from non-hostile. for non-hostile, that's the play - capture dudes, get them healthy, get them gone. allied basically requires bribing. the value of the bribe is dependent upon its dollar amount, so you ideally want an emissary loaded down with high value, low weight gifts.

that usually means drugs, but at a later development stage when you're stamping out shitloads of survival meals they also work really well.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Power has changed pretty considerably; these days it's better to just build a wood fired generator and shotgun chemfuel refining than try to make wind and batteries work. Specifically, batteries were nerfed to only hold 600 wattdays, and they still make zzzts explode bigger.

Prisoner recruitment now involves wearing down the subject's resistance first, which appears less dependent on social skill and more on the condition of the prisoner's mood, so a high social isn't quite as vital as it used to be.

The current plant stats are that rice outproduces everything anywhere it grows, but corn is only a little behind it and lower maintenance, so that's probably worth mentioning. Also, strawberries being edible raw is no longer as big a benefit, because doing so can cause food poisoning. A good cook and a clean kitchen are much more vital now, due to the food poisoning rework.
You could make an argument that wind/solar in the long-run saves labor time of pawns for power.

I think potato is probably more productive nutritional output per square on low fertility soil than rice.

The gap in nutritional output per square between rice/corn/potato is pretty low while strawberry has poor output:
code:
   | plant      | tot nutrition per day |
   |------------+-----------------------|
   | corn       |           0.051234280 |
   | potato     |           0.049909256 |
   | rice       |           0.052631579 |
   | strawberry |           0.045766590 |

A significant downside to rice is you need far more labor to get the same nutrition. It's ~3.7x the labor of corn and ~1.9x the labor of potatoes. The most significant upside is you get the rice sooner and it's more resistant to disasters. Rice also has the poorest shelf life without freezing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the power changes honestly just really emphasize the need for geothermal power. i spend a lot of effort getting that up and running now because no other power style makes a ton of sense.

how you supplement that power is largely up to taste.

e: also, the other thing to note about berries is that they are ideal trail rations for short trips. corn also works very well for this purpose, but in my games i definitely grow a few harvests of berries early on to fuel early travel before i make the switch to something like 25% rice, 75% corn.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 24, 2018

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I tried a mostly Chemfuel powered run and I'm not sure how to make refilling it a priority. So what tends to happen is I noticed my grow lights and working and manually tell someone to fill it up. Which is a less then ideal state of affairs.

Hopefully I can snag a few more people with no skills that I can make enough dedicated haulers to keep up and actually get to refueling fast.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's a hauling job, once you have a dedicated haulers or two it shouldn't be an issue.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

You make 3.7x the hauling trips with rice than with corn which is a huge part of the labor of farming. You can use the haulers for something else potentially more productive. This can be mitigated somewhat with animal hauling of course.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I have always struggled with hauling especially in the early game. Everyone has priority stuff to work on, so I tend to just abuse the haul urgently action when I need something moved.

Any tips for how to set things up for reasonably efficient hauling before you can just have 2-3 pawns do it as their primary job?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Viva Miriya posted:

any clue why my colonists ditch their clothes when I set their outfit to only accept 50-100% hit points? Is it a mod issue? Because apart from the mending mod I have no clue what would be causing this.

e: also whats the best way to keep the 2 outlander and tribal factions allied so I can wipe out pirates and just have friends show up during raids.

Are you setting the bottom of that range, or the top of that range? I had that issue until I noticed that i had accidentally set wearing 1-50 forbid 50-100
your slider would look like one of these.
code:
Condition
(|-------|)-------- 1-50% lets get naked or wear tattered
vs
--------(|--------|) 50-100% lets take off tattered stuff
Quality
(|----------------|) awful-legendary

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Demon_Corsair posted:

I have always struggled with hauling especially in the early game. Everyone has priority stuff to work on, so I tend to just abuse the haul urgently action when I need something moved.

Any tips for how to set things up for reasonably efficient hauling before you can just have 2-3 pawns do it as their primary job?

There's no real need to rush the early game until you're established, since there's no hard time limits beyond food self-sufficiency and having basic defenses. That said, there's also no real way to make hauling efficient early on besides good base layouts and not assigning frivolous hauling jobs like stone block hauling from the edges of the map when there's more important stuff to do.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

Are you setting the bottom of that range, or the top of that range? I had that issue until I noticed that i had accidentally set wearing 1-50 forbid 50-100
your slider would look like one of these.
code:
Condition
(|-------|)-------- 1-50% lets get naked or wear tattered
vs
Quality
(|----------------|) awful-legendary

This one

I'm just undoing all my mods but now I'm not sure which ones to add back lol. Modding's a hell of a drug.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Viva Miriya posted:

e: also whats the best way to keep the 2 outlander and tribal factions allied so I can wipe out pirates and just have friends show up during raids.

If you wipe out the pirates and have no enemy factions at all you will just get mechanoid raids, there is no way to remove raids from the game

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

If you wipe out the pirates and have no enemy factions at all you will just get mechanoid raids, there is no way to remove raids from the game

not what im tryna do

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Do the "left behind" pawns you can make in character creation have a chance to turn up again in some capacity after the game starts? Is there a mod out there that makes this more likely to happen? For role-playing purposes, I'd love to encounter "old friends" after the crash, either as friends or foes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Bramble posted:

Do the "left behind" pawns you can make in character creation have a chance to turn up again in some capacity after the game starts? Is there a mod out there that makes this more likely to happen? For role-playing purposes, I'd love to encounter "old friends" after the crash, either as friends or foes.

they don't show up at all and they are presumed to have died in the ship disaster that strands your 3 initials on the planet.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

The Bramble posted:

I don't know if the unchosen startup pawns come back but you will encounter pawns with relationships to yours https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Events#Relationship

My newest pawn came from a "Refugee Chased at..." event and almost immediately got a big and long morale penalty because her mom died in the raid chasing her.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Viva Miriya posted:

not what im tryna do

Never mind then, I thought you were trying to get "raids" of friendlies which would just be visitors. I kinda wish that's actually how it worked, instead of the current abstracted system if other settlements sent out real caravans you could see on the map and if they're hostile it's a raid or if they're allied it's just visitors or traders. Get the option to raid enemy traders while they're out of the base and stuff like that.

About the whole clothing removal thing, what I do is instead of setting quality limits in the outfits themselves, I just make new clothes whenever anyone has a tattered thought. Either manually at first or automatically through bill settings later when I don't have to worry about materials any more. Pawns will automatically equip the new stuff without needing a lower limit set. Eventually I usually end up just leaving a bill running to burn any clothes under 60% because it's not worth the hassle of storing and selling it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Thufir posted:

I don't know if the unchosen startup pawns come back but you will encounter pawns with relationships to yours https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Events#Relationship

My newest pawn came from a "Refugee Chased at..." event and almost immediately got a big and long morale penalty because her mom died in the raid chasing her.

that sucks for your base but it owns as a backstory

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh god. I need help

Would folks here be able to lend me a hand by taking a look at my old guide here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

and pointing out what's changed and/or needs updating now that 1.0 is released? The prospect of re-writing it is . . . daunting.

Don't rewrite it then. Go play 1.0 and make a new one from scratch based on your experience.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

they don't show up at all and they are presumed to have died in the ship disaster that strands your 3 initials on the planet.

If you use Prepare Carefully, you can stick them in other factions at start and then yes, they can show up!

I've had this succeed once in the two games since I found out that worked.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

comedyblissoption posted:

The gap in nutritional output per square between rice/corn/potato is pretty low while strawberry has poor output:

Strawberries used to have the fairly large advantage that they didn't require cooking but I don't think that's true any more, they seem to cause food poisoning the same as all other raw plants.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Viva Miriya posted:

This one

I'm just undoing all my mods but now I'm not sure which ones to add back lol. Modding's a hell of a drug.

I've had this kind of behavior before and never figured it out so I stopped trying to solve it with outfit settings, now I just make fresh clothing and destroy the worn/tainted stuff and it eventually fixes itself. Pawns seem to not like to take the last one of a given thing so it works better if you make 2-3 of each piece.

e: supply side economics work :capitalism:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Strawberries used to have the fairly large advantage that they didn't require cooking but I don't think that's true any more, they seem to cause food poisoning the same as all other raw plants.

they deffo do yeah, and food poisoning is actually kind of a big deal now

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Just a pleasant afternoon in the tiny colony of White Meat :allears:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Fallout on an ice sheet is just indulgent.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Which mod gives you that pawn overview tab?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wow, I just loaded my save for the day and noticed one of my colonists has a shattered Pelvis, I don't remember him picking that up, but loading back the oldest of my rolling saves, ten days back, he has it even then. And nothing in his personal log that indicates when he got it. :psyduck:

[edit] Wait, no this is some kinda weird bug, I just loaded a save from winter of the year previously and he has a shattered pelvis there. This was not the case because I sent him on a combat mission. What the heck.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 25, 2018

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wow, I just loaded my save for the day and noticed one of my colonists has a shattered Pelvis, I don't remember him picking that up, but loading back the oldest of my rolling saves, ten days back, he has it even then. And nothing in his personal log that indicates when he got it. :psyduck:

[edit] Wait, no this is some kinda weird bug, I just loaded a save from winter of the year previously and he has a shattered pelvis there. This was not the case. What the heck.

Snoo snoo backstory

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Welp, first time I've ever had to use the devmode to fix a bug! Guy even gets a scar removed in the bargain since there was no "restore pelvis", just "restore torso".

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Welp, first time I've ever had to use the devmode to fix a bug! Guy even gets a scar removed in the bargain since there was no "restore pelvis", just "restore torso".

For fixing those things you want the "Remove Hediff" command.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just had a mechanoid psionic ship part crash land on my map. I've learned three things.

A) My armor setups suck, I think I'll just set up a central armoury and use defensive positions with that.
B) Mortars are a lot more inaccurate than I remember, does the shooting skill of the pawn operating it matter now? I think it didn't matter in the past
C) Mechanoids have hilariously short attention spans

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Wait, no this is some kinda weird bug, I just loaded a save from winter of the year previously and he has a shattered pelvis there. This was not the case because I sent him on a combat mission. What the heck.

I'm guessing you installed EPOE recently?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I seem to be always out of components, way before I can get tech to make any more. Is there some other way to get them other than just mining them? I don't seem to get many caravans coming through, so I guess I need to send my own out to mine them elsewhere, or trade for them?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mine or murder mechanoids!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nuggan posted:

I seem to be always out of components, way before I can get tech to make any more. Is there some other way to get them other than just mining them? I don't seem to get many caravans coming through, so I guess I need to send my own out to mine them elsewhere, or trade for them?

You need to trade for em.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm guessing you installed EPOE recently?

Before I started this game, yes. But if its a bug related to EPOE, why did it only just manifest?

Viva Miriya posted:

You need to trade for em.

Yeah, I pretty much buy every component that comes my way, I haven't had many visitors/caravans/tradeships recently though. Guess I could try using my new travel pods to visit another town to buy em.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Nuggan posted:

Murder mechs and disassemble crashed ship parts.

I hoard components like a dragon until I get Fabrication tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Before I started this game, yes. But if its a bug related to EPOE, why did it only just manifest?

Just that if you add EPOE to a pre-existing save, it creates weird bugs like that