Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Any recommendations on wiper blades for the GTI? Most ones I see people be bullish about don’t seem to be compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Bosch Icon 365 OE26, OE18 - Adapter #4 work fine for me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

Any recommendations on wiper blades for the GTI? Most ones I see people be bullish about don’t seem to be compatible.

PIAA silicone

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Etrips posted:

Bosch Icon 365 OE26, OE18 - Adapter #4 work fine for me.

Seconding these. Haven't gotten any for the gti yet, but they've been great on my other cars.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I generally just buy whatever is cheap on rockauto.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

a mysterious cloak posted:

Seconding these. Haven't gotten any for the gti yet, but they've been great on my other cars.

same, had 'em on all my previous cars, currently have 'em on my jeep. factory wipers on the GTI still, but they're streaking so i'll probably replace them with icons this fall some time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'll take a look at the Icons, thanks!

BraveUlysses posted:

PIAA silicone

This seems interesting, but I'm not sure if they will actually fit. Their chart seems to be a bit outdated and doesn't list anything past 2016. That being said I would imagine all of the wipers that work for Golf Mk. 7 or whatever a '17 GTI counts as will work equally as well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yup they fit, 15-17 are all the same

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Finally got the wipers and the driver side one doesn't have the extra adaptors. Arrrrrrghhhh

Warbird
May 23, 2012

In related news, I put my wipers on without incident. And no, I didn’t spend 20 minutes trying to install them with the wrong adaptors, why do you ask?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And no, I didn't crack the windshield by leaving them up without blade on them

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

:yikes:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlackMK4 posted:

And no, I didn't crack the windshield by leaving them up without blade on them

Definitely did that for most of my driving career before the guy at the counter at the Advance Auto Parts saw what I had done and told me why it was a bad idea. Fortunately didn't have to learn it the hard way. Thanks, parts store guy, for probably eventually saving me a windshield.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 9, 2018

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Warbird posted:

I can't really promise anything but if the edges don't seem to badly shot try cleaning them thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. Seems to make them chatter a bit but cleans up their functional performance quite nicely.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are GTIs still being sold for really good prices, or has diesel-gate been sufficiently long enough ago?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Residency Evil posted:

Are GTIs still being sold for really good prices, or has diesel-gate been sufficiently long enough ago?

The dealer I got mine from is advertising a 2018 S with DSG for just under $24,000:

https://www.janesvillevw.com/vehicle-details/2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0t-s-janesville-wi-id-26555952

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I got a 2016 6 speed with 20k miles for 20k a month ago.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Residency Evil posted:

The low-volume VW dealer near me is selling a 2018 GTI SE for $4200 off MSRP before customer rebates. I imagine higher volume stores are selling them cheaper.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it really depends on where you live and how far you're willing to travel for a deal

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheWevel posted:

The low-volume VW dealer near me is selling a 2018 GTI SE for $4200 off MSRP before customer rebates. I imagine higher volume stores are selling them cheaper.

That's a deal. Sounds like the golf r is still a tough upgrade in comparison.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

TheWevel posted:

Just understand your depreciation will be a lot higher in the GTI if you plan on selling/trading in later. I was/still am shocked at how bad the depreciation is. I've paid for 1.5 years on my used 2016 GTI and I am still underwater on it if I wanted to trade in. The GTI is really a great car. I almost bought an R at least twice, but I don't think it is worth $42k (for me). Make sure you get the service work done on it. Oil changes every year or 10k miles no matter what. I've already had a few issues with mine: broken seat frame and now the shifter assy error (waiting for new DSG shifter now) but it has been reliable otherwise. You have the new 6yr/72k warranty so I wouldn't worry about anything. I'll definitely get rid of it before the CPO warranty is gone though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sort of the same boat - bought a 2017 SE for dirt cheap post Dieselgate. I could maybe just ably justify the difference between a GTI and an R if they were both at MSRP, but with the significant deals on the GTI and basically none on the R it made the decision a lot easier. FYI - if they’re doing a current owner VW loyalty discount, all I had to do was show a insurance card with a VW VIN, 2001 or newer.

I’ve had my GTI since January 2017 and put about 18k on it. No major issues to report, occasionally the pinch protection on one of the windows thinks it caught something so it’ll stop rolling up, causing you to have to hold the button to roll it up.

I’ve tinted it, put on new tires/wheels, added a JB1 and a trailer hitch. It’s a great car if you can only have one car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ve had my GTI since January 2017 and put about 18k on it. No major issues to report, occasionally the pinch protection on one of the windows thinks it caught something so it’ll stop rolling up, causing you to have to hold the button to roll it up.

I’ve tinted it, put on new tires/wheels, added a JB1 and a trailer hitch. It’s a great car if you can only have one car.

Same. I have a '17 Sport with about 13-14k since October or Nov. 2017 I think. No issues either. Might have a slight rattle coming from somewhere on bumps, but our roads are pretty abysmal. A couple times android auto has been dumb and frustrating, but that could be my phone getting older and shittier as well. Great only car as you said.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd test drive a Civic Si before you pull the trigger, if you're open to a non-hatch and manual

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The focus/fiesta st as well. New they have some killer discounts since they are being discontinued in America.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I got my 2017 S last December for just over 23k new. Just had the 10k service done, no weirdness, no problems. Love that car.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I've had a 2011 gti for about two years now and it's been nearly flawless. Got it at 23k miles, now approaching 60. Only issue was a check engine light around 50k that ended up being a manifold issue that vw covered at no charge.

Edit, was 33k, but whatever.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Suburban Dad posted:

Same. I have a '17 Sport with about 13-14k since October or Nov. 2017 I think. No issues either. Might have a slight rattle coming from somewhere on bumps, but our roads are pretty abysmal.

Lol i wish I could say my Fiesta might have a slight rattle somewhere. Seattle roads are horrible but even so this thing is basically a maraca.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd test drive a Civic Si before you pull the trigger, if you're open to a non-hatch and manual

I drove an SI, and a sport hatchback. The extra power on the SI really isn't super noticeable (or wasn't, to me). The GTI felt a lot quicker.

I also drove focus & fiesta ST's, and settled on a GTI. Just waiting on the dealership to find one for me...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fair enough, it is a trade in terms of power versus feedback

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

TrueChaos posted:

I also drove focus & fiesta ST's, and settled on a GTI.
Same. The interior quality improvement you get going to the GTI is incredible.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I liked the GTI’s comfort but it felt so sedate to drive compared to the Fiesta ST.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

talk me down off this ledge Haunted Hatch thread

or tell me to jump :getin:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh, definitely. And comfort / interior quality. I'm getting rid of my e46 for it, and the GTI feels better interior wise than the e46.

GutBomb posted:

I liked the GTI’s comfort but it felt so sedate to drive compared to the Fiesta ST.

It certainly did. I do about 140 miles round trip daily, and the highway comfort was what won me over - more comfortable + still a lot of fun to drive. If I was looking for a combination commuter + autocross / track car, I'd probably have the focus ST, but I have a miata for that.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

talk me down off this ledge Haunted Hatch thread

or tell me to jump :getin:

This is AI, get your jumping shoes on.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BlackMK4 posted:

waiting for the volume knob myself what a comfortable useful sedan

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

waiting for the volume knob myself what a comfortable useful sedan

Yeah, I'm going to be really interested if you can transplant that head unit with volume and fan controls into an older Civic because that would make me a really happy panda.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm biding my time until CTRs come off lease and I can get one <$30k... until then I am looking for a 2nd gen manual Fit for around $8k so I can drive out to a GridLife event and do the Sundae Cup.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm biding my time until CTRs come off lease and I can get one <$30k... until then I am looking for a 2nd gen manual Fit for around $8k so I can drive out to a GridLife event and do the Sundae Cup.

Are any of those hitting leases? I thought demand was high enough they were holding out for marked up sales.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
People are leasing them, I mean when the leases get returned to the dealers :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

People are leasing them, I mean when the leases get returned to the dealers :)

Oh, your meaning came through fine! I was just surprised they were doing leases at all instead of 100% wildly inflated sales.