Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KodiakRS posted:

Students, even terrible ones, pay the bills. They're going to be very reluctant to kick anyone out. I hate to say it but you're probably in for a hard fight. Good luck and remember to not let yourself be coerced into signing off anyone who isn't ready to be signed off.

We've got a year-long waiting list, at least most of those people if they turn out to be terrible will just be run-of-the-mill terrible and not opening up the school to significant liability due to sexual harassment and general unstable behaviour. This dude flies once a week. We do not need him, and he is a huge liability in every sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The real question with SeaTac is why Delta started a pissing match with Alaska

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Since I no longer seem to fly anywhere west of Denver anymore what's up with SeaTac?

Long story short, the Delta/Alaska dick-waving contest at SEA has the airport scheduled for more arrivals per hour than it can handle on a clear, VFR day, which means there's flow 24/7 now. If the winds force SEA to operate off 34's, they have to halt departures every so often for traffic at BFI to depart, which can easily mean 90 minute delays if it's VFR, and "It's quicker to walk from PDX" delays if it's IFR.

Last month, Seattle closed one of their two CAT III runways for construction (since we all know SEA never has low visibility in the fall), and has taxiway construction going that's removed their ability to taxi airplanes if the RVR falls under 600. The last week, it's had RVR's in the 5-700 range for a few hours in the morning, so things have been even more of a disaster than usual there.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
It’s cool as well because not only do north flow departures from BFI interfere with SEA’s traffic flow, but so do arrivals. Someone shooting the ILS32L into BFI briefly shuts down arrivals because of how close the localizer course is to SEA. That led to a situation INTERNET HEARSAY AHEAD where an airliner captain said they were delayed for a C172 which was going into Boeing.

This leads to TRACON refusing to take us back to BFI from the West when there’s flow into SEA, which is fair. They have to put us overhead SEA at 4k and then slam dunk us in a few miles to 1600 for glideslope intercept and a brief shutdown of arrivals. If you aren’t expecting it, it leads to... a very unstabilized approach.

All of it together means we don’t fly practice approaches IFR in north flow unless we know we can cancel and come back VFR.

Or at all, soon, when the freezing level comes down to 2,000 and it’s OVC010 every day.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

a patagonian cavy posted:

That led to a situation INTERNET HEARSAY AHEAD where an airliner captain said they were delayed for a C172 which was going into Boeing.

Having heard how bent out of shape some airline crews get with the SEA delays (especially if they don't deal with it every day), I'd totally believe that. It's now to the point where I explain flow delays as "Seattle is currently very bad at being an airport"
when I'm making a PA telling the passengers why we're an hour late.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

azflyboy posted:

Having heard how bent out of shape some airline crews get with the SEA delays (especially if they don't deal with it every day), I'd totally believe that. It's now to the point where I explain flow delays as "Seattle is currently very bad at being an airport"

I kinda believe it because I know for a fact that one of my fellow CFIs was on the ILS in a skyhawk at the reported time +/- 20m.

The fact that that holds hundreds of people in 737s for any length of time blows my mind.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

azflyboy posted:

I love it when some pilot keys up when we are metering SEA arrivals with “Hey center we’ve been slowed and already did a bunch of turns why are we turning more?” and inevitably will somebody cut in before I can say anything with “welcome to Seattle”. The fog in the mornings has definitely been a pain on the other side of the mic too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

a patagonian cavy posted:

I kinda believe it because I know for a fact that one of my fellow CFIs was on the ILS in a skyhawk at the reported time +/- 20m.

The fact that that holds hundreds of people in 737s for any length of time blows my mind.

The Cessna has to land sometime....

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I want my LTA rating so I can go shoot ILS approaches at 20kts.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
In my instructor days I used to love waving at airliners from a diamond katana any time they held for me.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
The facebook page for our pilot group has mostly become a series of "I found a pair of sunglasses in XXX aircraft." so someone decided to start a new group exclusively for lost and found stuff. I wonder if they're going to let me in?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

KodiakRS posted:

The facebook page for our pilot group has mostly become a series of "I found a pair of sunglasses in XXX aircraft."

You got an annoying running joke about bananas on there, too?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Zochness posted:

I love it when some pilot keys up when we are metering SEA arrivals with “Hey center we’ve been slowed and already did a bunch of turns why are we turning more?” and inevitably will somebody cut in before I can say anything with “welcome to Seattle”. The fog in the mornings has definitely been a pain on the other side of the mic too.

I just like when I pass LKV and my BTG time locks and I know what to expect. Sometimes the dispatchers get so cute with the fuel and it's not cute when I've gotta figure it out.
The other day we had PSC, PSC went to 1/8SM poo poo and SEA was CATII so I wanted a good, real alternate. We also had no APU... Thankfully I had a brick shitload of gas.

ACARS: "No problem, I'll give you YKM as an alternate, AMD1 change alt to YKM minfuel blabla"
Me: "We have no APU. I don't want YKM."
Dispatcher: "????"
Me: "It's some random FBO that services us there, they probably don't have an E175 huffer cart"
Dispatcher: "stby i will call YKM and see if they can borrow from QX"
Me: "*bangs head against desk* why, we have the gas for EUG which is sky clear, PDX which is ovc006 but we'll get in and has huffer and probably a gate if they don't get too many other diverts"
Dispatcher: "amd2 change alt to pdx...."

hobbesmaster posted:

The real question with SeaTac is why Delta started a pissing match with Alaska

So little has really been said, but from what I can gather: SEA has been growing in population and as a focus city for Delta (think Amazon, etc) and it's closer to both Asia and Europe so it makes sense as an international hub. Delta likes hub cities that have organic population, so you'll likely never see them with a hub in STL or MCI for example even though both are very convenient and central. ATL, DTW, NYC, LAX and SEA all provide them with not only connecting hub traffic but lots of originating traffic. For years they had a nice codeshare/partnership with Alaska to handle the West Coast, Delta was pretty hands off past SLC outside of some LAX international stuff and let Alaska do the heavy lifting, particularly within the state of Alaska but a good portion of the west coast. Alaska also has codeshare with Emirates. Delta HAAAAATES Emirates and has been on this huge campaign against them and is quite upset they had to drop ATL-DUB and basically have given up on making any money flying to India or the Middle East because Emirates (and really all of the ME3) are heavily subsidized. That's a whole different argument, but what I understand Delta looked at all the growth in Asia and decided SEA was going to be a huge international hub for them. However, they wanted Alaska to stop partnering with Emirates, and really get hitched with Delta, Alaska brings em to Seattle, Delta flies em to Asia/Europe/wherever. And most carriers are flying to Asia from SFO/LAX which is 1.5-2 hrs further, and more gas. That gives Delta a strong competitive advantage, even though LAX will always be an international hub just due to the nature of the huge number of people that live there. For whatever reason, Alaska did not want to be exclusive with Delta, perhaps with their own dreams of expanding beyond the west coast (and at this time Virgin and Jetblue were starting to really come into their territory, too). Delta is jealous and spiteful and the plan doesn't work unless you can get people to Seattle, so they say gently caress it, we'll terminate everything, expand into the NW and come take all your high yield flying and give you some real competition. At this point, Delta has taken about 40% of the Seattle market share and it's a major strategic base for Delta as well. Alaska of course bought Virgin but doesn't seem to be sure of what the hell they want to do with it, appear to have laid over and played dead within Seattle, and long term I'm very curious to see what they do.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 28, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
This week on Game of Airlines

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As much as I've lately been bitching about (one specific aspect of) my job, it's pretty fuckin' good when it's good.

I taught two students how to flare properly today, with each doing their first fully unassisted landings, and I've got another guy who's probably going to go solo in the next two or three flights because he's seriously improved over the past few flights and pulled off some excellent landings from simulated engine failures in the circuit.

As it turns out, I'm not useless, I'm a good instructor who enjoys his job (even after 4.5 hours of circuits) and simply hates flying with the deranged :unsmith:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

I'm a good instructor who enjoys his job (even after 4.5 hours of circuits) and simply hates flying with the deranged :unsmith:

CFI.txt?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I dunno, I mean there's a lot of bullshit that seems to be part of the job, and I knew that going in, I'm mainly just pissed off that so little is being done about me flying with someone I suspect is a literal mental case. I refuse to do it any more, the only question is what the consequences will end up being for me.

Maybe I'm being over-dramatic but I think of the case of that flight instructor who died when his student went nuts and committed murder-suicide during a lesson, and that could easily be me or any one of my co-workers because I don't think this guy is right in the head and I have no idea what he's capable of.

The problem is there's no official diagnosis or anything, there's just a general feeling he's not playing with a full deck. But I'll be hosed if I'm gonna be the one who flies with him the day he goes from mostly-harmless weirdo* to dangerous lunatic. I've been playing with the idea of calling Transport Canada directly and asking their advice because I just have a really, really bad feeling about this guy. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he's fine, but I'm certain that either way I should not instruct him.

* Not to suggest that sexual harassment, which he's already done, is harmless.

EDIT: My other troublesome student is booked for his flight test, on the advice of my supervising instructor. Apparently he did decently with her on his pre-flight-test and my input actually seems to have made a difference, because he didn't make any of the mistakes I'd seen him do with me, so I'm willing to believe he's improved and maybe I was just putting him under a bit too much pressure. He's not a great pilot, but I do believe he knows his limitations and will not be a danger to himself or others, and if a Transport Canada pilot examiner says he's flying to standard, I'm not going to say otherwise.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 29, 2018

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/asia/lion-air-plane-crash-intl/index.html

737 Max just went down off the coast of Indonesia. They still claim to be looking for survivors but have so far only found debris. Not a promising sign.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/asia/lion-air-plane-crash-intl/index.html

737 Max just went down off the coast of Indonesia. They still claim to be looking for survivors but have so far only found debris. Not a promising sign.

The ADS-B data is scary.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1056758281929154565?s=21

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Does that spike at the end look like a pull-up-then-stall to anyone else?

e: n/m, looking at the zoomed-in view it looks more like an erroneous reading.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 29, 2018

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Man outside of SingaporaAir you could not pay me enough to get on an SE Asia airline. Hopefully not a MAX issue

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Slaughter posted:

Delta likes hub cities that have organic population, so you'll likely never see them with a hub in STL or MCI for example even though both are very convenient and central. ATL, DTW, NYC, LAX and SEA all provide them with not only connecting hub traffic but lots of originating traffic.

What's fascinating about DL is they've done this, but they've also added quite a bit of point-to-point TATL flying (which really just feeds into Skyteam/Virgin hubs at CDG, AMS, and LHR).

Some of it ties to obvious vacation spots (MCO-AMS and TPA-AMS), but they've also had PIT-CDG (which they just dropped because PIT thought they should have All The Transatlantic Flights and, when they threw money at BA, DL said ":lol: gently caress this"), PHL-LHR, EWR-CDG (both dropped), PDX-AMS/-LHR, IND-CDG, a very seasonal AUS-AMS, and rumors are swirling 'round these parts that CMH-AMS could be next.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I got approval to transfer my lunatic to another instructor, and I found another instructor tipsy enough to say yes!

It's not the ideal solution but I'll take it.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I was offered a crazy sounding opportunity today, and I need some input on whether it's exciting-fun-crazy, or stupid-crazy. A friend of a friend has a plane in Quebec City, Canada they want moved to Riverside, California. My friend told them I'm building time towards my commercial license, and the guy called me to ask if I wanted to take the trip. The plane is not IFR capable, and cruises at about 70 knots. I don't know any other details about it right now, other than that it also does not have a transponder, and the guy wants to move it in the next few weeks before winter weather becomes too marginal to attempt the trip.

On the one hand, it sounds like it could be a really fun adventure. The owner of the plane doesn't care how long I take with it, if I want to make it a total sightseeing trip, whatever. Looks like I'd log 55-60 hours even on a fairly direct route, and it would definitely cut the cost of my timebuilding significantly. I would definitely learn a ton, and see parts of the country I've never been to before.

On the other hand, I'd be flying across the continent to pick up a plane sight unseen, flying it in a totally unfamiliar part of the country, alone, for at least a week. Although I could take my time, I'm still looking at at least 7 days of flying 8 hours per day to finish the trip, and my longest day flying to date has been a little over 6. Any weather en route could leave me stranded somewhere or add a bunch of time by re-routing. The time I'd be gone from work would be unpaid, so any extra delays could really hurt me there.

I know if I were to go ahead with this, I'll have a lot of work ahead of me planning, and I definitely want to get a lot more information about the plane, its maintenance history, who's flown it recently, etc. but at this point I'm mostly trying to figure out if this is even something I should be considering, and wondering what aspects I'm overlooking in my thinking so far. Like, I know without a transponder I'll need to file with the FAA for a waiver to cross the border in addition to filing a flight plan and contacting CBP/eAPIS, but given that the plane is at a Canadian class B airport, how do I even get it out of there without one?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It sounds great if you can arrange with him to have someone else available to pick up and finish the ferry if you don't finish before you have to go back to work. Inoculating yourself against go fever is probably the biggest concern.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reztes posted:

I was offered a crazy sounding opportunity today, and I need some input on whether it's exciting-fun-crazy, or stupid-crazy. A friend of a friend has a plane in Quebec City, Canada they want moved to Riverside, California. My friend told them I'm building time towards my commercial license, and the guy called me to ask if I wanted to take the trip. The plane is not IFR capable, and cruises at about 70 knots. I don't know any other details about it right now, other than that it also does not have a transponder, and the guy wants to move it in the next few weeks before winter weather becomes too marginal to attempt the trip.

On the one hand, it sounds like it could be a really fun adventure. The owner of the plane doesn't care how long I take with it, if I want to make it a total sightseeing trip, whatever. Looks like I'd log 55-60 hours even on a fairly direct route, and it would definitely cut the cost of my timebuilding significantly. I would definitely learn a ton, and see parts of the country I've never been to before.

On the other hand, I'd be flying across the continent to pick up a plane sight unseen, flying it in a totally unfamiliar part of the country, alone, for at least a week. Although I could take my time, I'm still looking at at least 7 days of flying 8 hours per day to finish the trip, and my longest day flying to date has been a little over 6. Any weather en route could leave me stranded somewhere or add a bunch of time by re-routing. The time I'd be gone from work would be unpaid, so any extra delays could really hurt me there.

I know if I were to go ahead with this, I'll have a lot of work ahead of me planning, and I definitely want to get a lot more information about the plane, its maintenance history, who's flown it recently, etc. but at this point I'm mostly trying to figure out if this is even something I should be considering, and wondering what aspects I'm overlooking in my thinking so far. Like, I know without a transponder I'll need to file with the FAA for a waiver to cross the border in addition to filing a flight plan and contacting CBP/eAPIS, but given that the plane is at a Canadian class B airport, how do I even get it out of there without one?

A Canadian class B airport you say???

Jokes aside it sounds like a great opportunity, but do have a backup plan in case you get stranded. Regarding airspace in Canada, you can get a clearance for no-transponder flight by contacting whoever’s responsible for the airspace ahead of time. I’ve never done that so I’m not sure how it works, but I know it is possible - reference CARS 605.35(3). Once you depart it looks like you can stay below class C outside the control zone, and then you’re good until you get to the border.

Also, look up differences in airspace classification in Canada before you go :v:

EDIT: I looked up the US airspace definitions and it looks like our Class C is basically American Class B, but without the requirement to hold at least a PPL or an instructor signoff. You must proceed in accordance with a clearance at all times. American class C (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) seems to have the requirement for a mode C transponder and establishing radio communications, but you don't specifically need a clearance. The equivalent in Canada would be a Class C airspace with a transponder requirement.

Class B in Canada refers to controlled airspace above 12,500 feet and you must be on an IFR or controlled VFR flight plan to enter. It... appears you do not need to be on such a flight plan in US class B as long as you have a clearance...?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 2, 2018

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

It... appears you do not need to be on such a flight plan in US class B as long as you have a clearance...?

Yep. As long as you've been given specific clearance into the airspace, you can operate VFR without a flight plan in US class B.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Yep. As long as you've been given specific clearance into the airspace, you can operate VFR without a flight plan in US class B.

Huh, neat. So it is basically the equivalent of our class C after all. Looking at wikipedia it looks like airspace between 10,000 ft. and the class A floor is class E in the US. That's a significant difference.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for the feedback, and the Canadian airspace lesson. Hey on FAA charts, your class C is depicted the same as our class B :v: Also good to know you can call ahead to get a no-transponder clearance. I know down here you can request one with minimum of an hour's notice, but I was having trouble finding an equivalent exception for Canada.

I talked to the guy again after doing some more research. Since the plane has a Canadian registration, it looks like I would need a Foreign License Validation Certificate from Transport Canada to fly it in Canada, so he may just have a Canadian pilot up there handle the leg across the border. That's one less set of problems at least.

I found out it's a Zenith 701 STOL. I'm kind of a sucker for cute little light sport planes like this so it's really getting harder for me to say no. I'm only working part time while I'm pursuing my commercial license anyway, and I realized that the amount of money I'd save flying this thing for 50 hours vs. what I'm paying on average now to rent planes, even my flying club plane, I could lose my job and be out of work for a month and still break even financially. That also helps alleviate some potential get-there-itis pressure. :haw:

Reztes fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 2, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Huh, neat. So it is basically the equivalent of our class C after all. Looking at wikipedia it looks like airspace between 10,000 ft. and the class A floor is class E in the US. That's a significant difference.

In most areas, class E starts at 700 or 1200 AGL and goes up to 17,999999999999999999999999999999MSL excepting the airport airspaces like B, C, and D. In super unpopulated, mountainous areas, it can start a little higher, but since it's based of AGL the base altitudes are often sufficient.

Some non-towered airports have Class E airspace to the surface. They are shown with segmented magenta rings on a sectional chart. Part-time towered airports often revert to class E or Class G when the tower is closed, depending on what the chart supplement says.

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I looked up the US airspace definitions and it looks like our Class C is basically American Class B, but without the requirement to hold at least a PPL or an instructor signoff. You must proceed in accordance with a clearance at all times. American class C (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) seems to have the requirement for a mode C transponder and establishing radio communications, but you don't specifically need a clearance. The equivalent in Canada would be a Class C airspace with a transponder requirement.

So although your Class C requires a specific clearance, it doesn't require a transponder?

Also, in case this wasn't obvious, Class B, C and D airspaces in the U.S. are found only around certain airports. Class A, E, and G are everywhere else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

So although your Class C requires a specific clearance, it doesn't require a transponder?

Also, in case this wasn't obvious, Class B, C and D airspaces in the U.S. are found only around certain airports. Class A, E, and G are everywhere else.

Our class C requires a clearance and a transponder -- it's basically the equivalent of US class B, I've found out, but student pilots can operate in it without special authorization.

Our class D is equivalent to US class D, but in some cases there may be a transponder requirement. In Canada, this does not mean it's a separate class of airspace, but my current understanding is that that would make it equivalent to US Class C.

Our class E is also the same, except it only goes up to 12,500. After that, it's class B, which requires IFR or CVFR clearance and a mode C transponder, which is completely different from US Class B. All controlled airspace above 12,500 and below 18,000 is class B -- otherwise, it's class G uncontrolled airspace.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...
Anyone here build or fly a Kitfox Super Sport?

I just finalized a deal on an untouched kit from last year. Going to be using a Rotax 912S (the one I found has about 80 hours on it, and clean).

Very much looking forward to the build.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvilMerlin posted:

I just finalized a deal on an untouched kit from last year. Going to be using a Rotax 912S (the one I found has about 80 hours on it, and clean).

Build thread!

I really want one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There's no way I'd ever go flying in anything I built myself, because I am mechanically inept, but I would love to see a build thread by someone who has an idea what they're doing!

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

MrYenko posted:

Build thread!

I really want one.

Yeah I will. Mostly because it makes it easier to document for the FAA to get my tail number.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

PT6A posted:

There's no way I'd ever go flying in anything I built myself, because I am mechanically inept, but I would love to see a build thread by someone who has an idea what they're doing!

I've been building model airplanes since as far back as I could remember.

The last one I built was a 1/4 scale Stuka. If I can build that, one of these should be tits.

Will be the lightest and smallest plane I've ever flown. I learned way back in the 80's on a J3 built in the 1940's, but the KitFox is just small...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilMerlin posted:

I've been building model airplanes since as far back as I could remember.

I've attempted those before and they've gone extremely Not Well, so I'm going to leave homebuilts to other people :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

EvilMerlin posted:

Make a thread, I had a lot of builder friends in my A&P days and I miss the environment.

Also RIP your wallet if you don’t have tools yet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

Also RIP your wallet if you don’t have tools yet.

This is what really puts the kibosh on it for me. That, and build space. Oh, and some of the highest hangar rates in the country.

I need to move. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

This is what really puts the kibosh on it for me. That, and build space. Oh, and some of the highest hangar rates in the country.

I need to move. :(

California?